Zendegi

Forgotten Shias of Russia

As many of you may not be aware, there is quite a large indigenous Shia community in the Derbentsky district which is part of the larger Dagestan region of Russia. They constitute a majority of that district and are predominant in the historical city of Derbent.

The community has lived under Russian/Soviet occupation for centuries, where Shia religious and cultural life has waned for this community. Derbent had been a historically Shia and Iranian influenced city for centuries, until the Russian takeover in 1800s. The cities name is derived from the Persian word 'Darband', which means 'locked gate'

Recently the community has suffered attack from Dagestani Salafi extremists and many of their shrines/mosques have been vandalised, which has been quite under reported. 

A recent attack on Dagestan’s Shia minority, designed to stifle the religious sentiments of Shiites in the city of Derbent, was carried out by individuals who are illustrative of the type of people who separated from the Caucasus Emirate. On the night of January 8, unidentified individuals destroyed the tomb of Seid Mir-Gafar-aga. The attack prompted ethnic Azerbaijanis that reside in Derbent to stage public protests (Kavkazsky Uzel, January 9, 2015; see EDM, January 13, 2015). It is hardly a coincidence that all the commanders of the Derbent sector of the Caucasus Emirate recently switched their allegiances to Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi. And it is symbolic that their first assault was directed against the Shia minority, the same minority that Islamic State is persecuting in Syria and Iraq.

http://www.jamestown.org/single/?tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=43406&no_cache=1#.VqR7Shh940o

http://eng.kavkaz-uzel.ru/articles/30507/

Here are some pictures of Derbent and its mosques! Its a beautiful city! You can identify lots of Shia slogans and symbols in the pictures, even Turbahs in the first picture. 

derbent-the-juma-mosque-complex-B98418.j

caption.jpg

caption.jpg

caption.jpg81_big.jpg

4874-Derbent-Dagestan.JPG

4843-Derbent-Dagestan.JPG4859-Derbent-Dagestan.JPGDerbent Dzhuma-Mosque: двор мечети4790-Derbent-Dagestan.JPGDerbent Dzhuma-Mosque: Вход во двор

Edited by Zendegi

7 hours ago, alidu78 said:

I didnt know at all that there were indigenous shia in russia. I thought all russian shia were immigrants from azerbaijan and tajikistan (ismaili not twelver).

Derbent and its surrounding district has always been historically and predominantly Shia and Azeri. Beside Azeri you can also find Shia Lezgins and Tabasarans. But yes a lot of population there has partial Iranian ancestry dating from centuries ago. Besides these groups Russians only constitute 0.5% of the districts population. majority of the Shia in the Derbentsky region unlike elsewhere are not immigrants but idigenous peoples who have lived there for centuries before the Russian occupation.

The district has historically been the northern most outpost of Iranian empires for many centuries until Qajars lost it to the Russians. 

I just wanted to make some awareness a majority community of indigenous Shia exists in somewhere like Russia.

On dimanche 24 janvier 2016 at 0:16 AM, Zendegi said:

Derbent and its surrounding district has always been historically and predominantly Shia and Azeri. Beside Azeri you can also find Shia Lezgins and Tabasarans. But yes a lot of population there has partial Iranian ancestry dating from centuries ago. Besides these groups Russians only constitute 0.5% of the districts population. majority of the Shia in the Derbentsky region unlike elsewhere are not immigrants but idigenous peoples who have lived there for centuries before the Russian occupation.

The district has historically been the northern most outpost of Iranian empires for many centuries until Qajars lost it to the Russians.

I just wanted to make some awareness a majority community of indigenous Shia exists in somewhere like Russia.

Im not sure but i think shia muslims in russia are like 10% of muslim population, maybe less. But there is already a community hamdulilah :) .

On 1/30/2016 at 8:21 PM, alidu78 said:

Im not sure but i think shia muslims in russia are like 10% of muslim population, maybe less. But there is already a community hamdulilah :) .

0.2% of Muslims in Russia are Shi'tes X_X.

Edited by Ali Hamieh

4 hours ago, Ali Hamieh said:

0.2% of Muslims in Russia are Shi'tes X_X.

This is correct.

48 minutes ago, alidu78 said:

hhhh so few really ??? i thought there were many shia azerbaijani in syria :D

Dagestan is a Russian Republic. So is Bashkortostan. These are Muslim majority places with very broad degrees of autonomy that are ethnically, culturally and religiously very different from Russia in general but are still protected by the Russian army, often can speak Russian and they pay taxes that go into the Federal treasury.

There is almost no Shia population to speak of in these places.

Historically they were only very relatively recently converted to Islam. It's interesting, because their late rebelliousness during the time of Tsars derived from and was driven by their new religion. They remind one of Cossacks except that they are not Orthodox. They became a fifth column to be counted on by Turkish Empire the same way Uniates in Western Ukraine were/are for Poland and the Germans and the rest of the West.

Azerbaijan is not a part of the Russian Federation. You must thank Lenin for such things. That country is, however, a Shia majority. The second largest in the world after Iran itself. But, like the Sunnis in the Russian Republics with Muslim majorities, their practise and knowledge of Islam would probably be lamented by the average committed Shia from Iran or Iraq or Lebanon.

9 hours ago, Servidor said:

This is correct.

Dagestan is a Russian Republic. So is Bashkortostan. These are Muslim majority places with very broad degrees of autonomy that are ethnically, culturally and religiously very different from Russia in general but are still protected by the Russian army, often can speak Russian and they pay taxes that go into the Federal treasury.

There is almost no Shia population to speak of in these places.

Historically they were only very relatively recently converted to Islam. It's interesting, because their late rebelliousness during the time of Tsars derived from and was driven by their new religion. They remind one of Cossacks except that they are not Orthodox. They became a fifth column to be counted on by Turkish Empire the same way Uniates in Western Ukraine were/are for Poland and the Germans and the rest of the West.

Azerbaijan is not a part of the Russian Federation. You must thank Lenin for such things. That country is, however, a Shia majority. The second largest in the world after Iran itself. But, like the Sunnis in the Russian Republics with Muslim majorities, their practise and knowledge of Islam woud probably be lamented by the average committed Shia from Iran or Iraq or Lebanon.

Yes i know azerbaijan is an independant country. But i heard there are some 2 millions azerbaijanis immigrates in Russia. So with this number shia muslims are more than 0,2 of russian muslim population.

1 hour ago, alidu78 said:

Yes i know azerbaijan is an independant country. But i heard there are some 2 millions azerbaijanis immigrates in Russia. So with this number shia muslims are more than 0,2 of russian muslim population.

No, they are not.

Forgive me, but you have been misinformed.

Most Muslims in the Russian Federation, outside of the two Republics already mentioned, are temporary migrants either studying or working. They are not Russian citizens. They have a specific set time for which they will be in Russia. Then they generally go back to Azerbaijan, Iran, Turkey or wherever.

And I still highly doubt that 2 million of those temporary migrants and students are from Azerbaijan.

Edited by Servidor

6 hours ago, Servidor said:

No, they are not.

Forgive me, but you have been misinformed.

Most Muslims in the Russian Federation, outside of the two Republics already mentioned, are temporary migrants either studying or working. They are not Russian citizens. They have a specific set time for which they will be in Russia. Then they generally go back to Azerbaijan, Iran, Turkey or wherever.

And I still highly doubt that 2 million of those temporary migrants and students are from Azerbaijan.

I read that on wikipedia . So muslims immigrates are all temporary immigrates ? They cant stay un Russia ?

Can you add me please in Facebook i want to ask you few questions about the shiaa in russia

moderator's note: giving out email add in posts in not allowed. The member can contact you via PM.

Edited by starlight
removed email address