Maysam22

What could help cure my scalp acne?

As salamu alaykum dear brothers and sisters,

I am been having a scalp acne problem for about 5-6 years. I have literally tried everything to help cure it unfortunately, none worked. I have very oily skin and oily hair. Neutrogena T-gel Shampoo, Capasal shampooo, antibiotics, Head and shoulder anti dandruff etc. I've tried them all. I know Benzoyl peroxide is very effective against acne treatment as I tried this on my face. However, the downside of it is that it bleached most of my clohtes so it is no a no go for this to go on my scalp. I don't want to damage any more clothes.

Going to the doctor didn't help too much either. All they said was to use antibiotics which is the only cure. I have tried using antibiotics, but after like 5-6 months my body kind of gets immune to it and my acne starts to come back. I also have acne on my face and had a lot in the past but it is clearing up now Alhamdulillah. I thought the same about my scalp, unfortunately this is not the case. 

Currently, I am on tea tree shampoo and this doesn't work either. It is really embarrassing for me to have a hair cut. For example, I had a haircut yesterday and the razor made some of my pimples to bleed. The pimples are really big and very painful. I don't know what to try next? To be honest, I tried so many stuff that I am thinking that nothing will work. Is there anyone else out there with same situation as me? If so, what was the solution to your problem? 

Thanks,

Maysam

W/s 

Have you tried using a sulphur product? Sulphur is good for cystic acne.

Try applying aloe vera gel, preferably from freshly cut leaves, to scalp.

Instead of a tea tree shampoo,put a few drops of essential tea tree oil in your regular shampoo.

21 minutes ago, starlight said:

W/s 

Have you tried using a sulphur product? Sulphur is good for cystic acne.

Try applying aloe vera gel, preferably from freshly cut leaves, to scalp.

Instead of a tea tree shampoo,put a few drops of essential tea tree oil in your regular shampoo.

Salam,

Thanks for you reply. I don't know where to find aloe vera gel or leaves (I live in the UK BTW)? Would tea tree have a different impact than using its shampoo itself? I am a bit hopeless because I used so many different product over the years and none of them helped. I am afraid I will waste money again on something that won't work. 

Edited by Maysam22

34 minutes ago, Maysam22 said:

I think I give the tea tree a trial. 

Hello Maysam,

It's an annoying issue that I have also had to deal with. What worked for me is using Fructis brand shampoo. There is something about the fruit extracts that works to deeply clean the scalp.

I apply the shampoo once really well and then rinse it all out. Then I immediately apply more, but the second time I leave it in until the very end of my shower and rinse it out. The first application washes out the oil and the second application cleans the scalp.

Works wonders!

Could you be over washing? i know over washing the face can cause the skin to become more oily. Do you use hair products? they could be blocking pores. Do you usually wear something on your head? this could be causing it to sweat and blocking pores. The only products i can think of for drying up spots are ones that i use when i get a blemish on my face. They are:

- epsom salt

- tea tree oil

- witch hazel

Other than that i can only think to recommend natural shampoos and conditioners that would hopefully not dry out your scalp as much as a commercial shampoo. I know cider vinegar is used by some instead of a hair conditioner (its washed out, not left in) and i think i remember reading that you can use egg white as a shampoo, but a Google search for homemade shampoo should give you more ideas. You could also try rinsing your scalp regularly with a sea salt solution. Anyone who takes seaside holidays will know that sea salt clears up skin, but you must be careful with the concentration as too much and irritate it.

btw, did your doctor talk to you about your diet? could your acne be diet related? have you tried cutting out dairy completely and limiting sugars?

Edited by Ruq
added bit about diet

Hi dear all,

Thanks for your kind comments and advice. Which type of the fructis shampoo is that as there are multiple types of it. I stopped using hair products a long time ago and it seems that it does not make a difference. I don't wear any hats or scarf (I'm not a women lol). I can't remember if I talked to my Doctor about my diet. My sugar intake is a bit high to be honest, but I don't think this is the cause of it. Apart from that, my diet consists mostly of vegetarian food as I don't consume much meat. I just ordered tea tree oil from amazon and will be mixing some of it with my shampoo and see if it helps Inshallah. However, I am not fully confident it will help like all the other products I've tried. 

BTW: my hair is quite oily so I need to shower everyday otherwise it would start stinking terribly. 

Edited by Maysam22

49 minutes ago, Maysam22 said:

Hi dear all,

Thanks for your kind comments and advice. Which type of the fructis shampoo is that as there are multiple types of it. I stopped using hair products a long time ago and it seems that it does not make a difference. I don't wear any hats or scarf (I'm not a women lol). I can't remember if I talked to my Doctor about my diet. My sugar intake is a bit high to be honest, but I don't think this is the cause of it. Apart from that, my diet consists mostly of vegetarian food as I don't consume much meat. I just ordered tea tree oil from amazon and will be mixing some of it with my shampoo and see if it helps Inshallah. However, I am not fully confident it will help like all the other products I've tried. 

BTW: my hair is quite oily so I need to shower everyday otherwise it would start stinking terribly. 

Actually, I use any type that is on sale. As far as hair product, I use fragrance free Curel brand hand lotion in my hair as a conditioner. No gel, no mousse etc.

Edited by Convertible

20 hours ago, zainabamy said:

Wa aleikum as salam @Maysam22,

The suggestions that others have given sound really good but if none of them work go back to the doctors and be firm with them. I sometimes think doctors don't take patients seriously until you insist.

I hope your problem gets sorted soon!

Amy :) 

Thanks for your support sister. For now, I am going to give tea tree oil mixed with my shampoo a try and see what results it would give me. Otherwise I will go back to my doctor and really insist.

Thanks,

Maysam

Salam,

I caught "barber's disease" last week and my ear was really infected. You get this from dirty hair clippers or razors.

So l washed my ear in hypochlorite, then rubbed in an alcohol-based handsanitizer and then used a topical antibiotic with zinc sulfate in it.

The infection is now in the last stages of drying up.

I wouldn't think it was you sugar intake because that will show up on your back and legs first and the body tries to expel sugar out of your system.

You are also probably being re-infected by something, maybe your pillow or whatever.

Edited by hasanhh
spelling

14 hours ago, hasanhh said:

Salam,

I caught "barber's disease" last week and my ear was really infected. You get this from dirty hair clippers or razors.

So l washed my ear in hypochlorite, then rubbed in an alcohol-based handsanitizer and then used a topical antibiotic with zinc sulfate in it.

The infection is now in the last stages of drying up.

I wouldn't think it was you sugar intake because that will show up on your back and legs first and the body tries to expel sugar out of your system.

You are also probably being re-infected by something, maybe your pillow or whatever.

Salam brother hassanh,

My scalp acne has nothing to do with infections I think because I have this condition for 5-6 years now. As to being re-infected, I change my pillow case every week now so I don't think it is caused by this.