Reza

Official Shiachat Career/Employment Advice Thread

Salaam everybody:

Some of you requested that we have a thread discussing careers and employment, including advice on how to choose, apply, and succeed in them.

Since all of you are of different ages, with different qualifications, living in different countries, at different phases of your life, it's hard to provide universal advice, but hopefully there are general principles that will benefit everyone. Hopefully more individualized assistance can also be given, publically or privately.

Feel free to share links, discuss stories, pose questions, or provide answers to other's inquiries. If possible, try to limit conversations about marriage vs career, family vs career, etc (those are better suited for the social forum).

Some links and resources will be provided shortly. Thanks!

Salam all

I have been a senior hiring manager in both the public (NHS) and private sectors (as well as a private tutor) for approx the last 10 years, I was made redundant in june so have been through the whole application process etc these last few months to alhamdulillah land my current job. I have also opened and run a string of businesses, some of which did ok but most totally flopped.

I am from the uk so can help with cv review (after you remove personal info), cover letter writing, applications, UCAS, identifying skills gaps and things like this. Happy to help anyone inshaAllah

Edited by DigitalUmmah

I am currently working as a hiring officer in an Indian pharma organisation. I am mainly handling recruitment for sales positions and first-level/first-line managerial positions.

When i wish to selecting someone, what are some of the things i am looking at? Assuming there are 3 candidates per position-

The distance between their house and the workplace/area

Qualification- whether over or under qualified or just right (one should not feel frustrated after they join)

Work Experience - duration and relevance

Relevant knowledge

Communication (important for a marketing job)

Confidence (important for a marketing job)

I try to judge if he/she is hardworking or not (Judging can be a difficult job. I have missed a number of times)

Sincerity/integrity/dedication towards the job

Can they handle the pressure, if it becomes difficult

How long will they stay? (I generally ask the candidates this question directly. Attrition rates are high in the relatively wealthy Southern states.)

Will continue to share more info.

Please feel free to ask for advice.

I might also need help as I, too, am looking for a change. Some extra advice/new perspective wont hurt.

Edited by alisayyed

How does everyone feel that most jobs nowadays are in the service industry (as opposed to manufacturing)?

I used to work for a manufacturing company that lost approx £20 Million in a single year in sales due to their customers outsourcing manufacturing to China. What I learnt was that you DEFINITELY get what you pay for - everything is fine when the manufacturing and delivery and quality standards are met by China for your orders, but as soon as there is an issue like for example their fabricators misreading CADCAM diagrams, all of a sudden you have to wait six weeks for the fixed shipment to be placed or pay through the nose for a quick turnaround or best of all, that awkward moment when you realise that as an SME you dont really have much power at all if the factory just refuses to co operate after taking your money. 

it does definitely seem that there is a tidal shift going on though, interesting time to be watching the market. people could get sick of poor service and poor quality coming from China, so return manufacturing to the UK./ Europe and and revive the industry, or think the bottom line is all that matters so stick to outsourced manufacturing and the service industry grows until shoe event horizon

Salaam everybody:

Some of you requested that we have a thread discussing careers and employment, including advice on how to choose, apply, and succeed in them.

Since all of you are of different ages, with different qualifications, living in different countries, at different phases of your life, it's hard to provide universal advice, but hopefully there are general principles that will benefit everyone. Hopefully more individualized assistance can also be given, publically or privately.

Feel free to share links, discuss stories, pose questions, or provide answers to other's inquiries. If possible, try to limit conversations about marriage vs career, family vs career, etc (those are better suited for the social forum).

Some links and resources will be provided shortly. Thanks!

Salam,

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/235033406-anyone-in-the-us-or-ca-interested-in-a-it-career/

I made this thread not too long ago for anyone in the United States or Canada looking for a job or struggling. So far I think only one person has stepped forward and inquired about the opportunity. I think it is an excellent opportunity. Many Brothers and Sisters have gotten placed in remote/work from home positions with an excellent salary.  If Money is the issue, I am willing to go as far as to provide free basic training for all those interested. Placement would iA not be an issue.

If the email provided is shady and some members do not feel comfortable, then that would not be a problem either. We can discuss in either this thread or the one above mentioned if anyone wants.

Again, its a great opportunity for all and not a scam. There really isn't anything for anyone to lose. 

Besides that, I've noticed that, whether its this or other chances for success, we as Shia don't really step up to take advantage or even inquire. This is a bit troubling. I really hope that we can fix this. Whether it is nervousness or lack of trust or financial problems or even family we should be more confident in ourselves Brothers and Sisters. Nobody is gonna just hand everything too us. Nothing is free in this life.

This website has suggestions for people who are looking for an online source of income. Looks legitimate

http://fulltimejobfromhome.com/get-started-making-money-online/

The following page is their review of italki which is an online site for teaching languages. People who are interested in tutoring languages can use italki as a source of income.

http://fulltimejobfromhome.com/italki-teacher-review-scam-or-paid-to-teach-a-language/

On Mon Nov 16 2015 at 8:45 AM, notme said:

I recommend use of Linkedin, at least for jobseekers in the US.  It has gotten me more interviews than anything except cold calling.

In what regard would you say LinkedIn was helpful? To find job postings/recruiters, or for hiring companies to find you? 

Edited by aliyah21

11 minutes ago, aliyah21 said:

In what regard would you say LinkedIn was helpful? To find job postings/recruiters, or for hiring companies to find you? 

I used LinkedIn job search function, and it worked for me with much more success than job listings on other job boards or cold calling.