Sign in to follow this  
Haji 2003

Australian Accent Origins

The Australian alphabet cocktail was spiked by alcohol. Our forefathers regularly got drunk together and through their frequent interactions unknowingly added an alcoholic slur to our national speech patterns. For the past two centuries, from generation to generation, drunken Aussie-speak continues to be taught by sober parents to their children.

The average Australian speaks to just two thirds capacity – with one third of our articulator muscles always sedentary as if lying on the couch; and that's just concerning articulation. Missing consonants can include missing "t"s (Impordant), "l"s (Austraya) and "s"s (yesh), while many of our vowels are lazily transformed into other vowels, especially "a"s to "e"s (stending) and "i"s (New South Wyles) and "i"s to "oi"s (noight).

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/comment/the-fourth-r-missing-from-australian-education-20151025-gkhv8k.html#ixzz3pqFdLh8I 

Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

Edited by Haji 2003

I don't think that Australian English accents are any "lazier" or more "mumbled" than other English accents. All spoken variants of the language omit sounds present in some other variety and vowels as well as consonants are pronounced in a myriad of ways. This of course is understandable as English is spoken on many continents and the orthography is notoriously non-phonetic.