Sign in to follow this  
AhlulBayt_313

Health Start @ Sc With Ab

Salam,

I've been meaning to start a thread solely dedicated to Wellness and Nutrition.

There are so many great resources out there that have an abundance of information on certain foods and their nutrients. I'd like to kick-off something from a totally different standpoint based on the foods we eat and delve into the nutrients (specifically) and what benefits we can get from certain foods.

I think it's especially important to target the major food groups (individually) and explain how these foods help to regulate our bodies and what's makes them essential for healthy living.

Of course, I will not be covering every single food known to man; however, I will provide information on selected foods I have researched to have an overall benefit to your health and nutrition. This will be excellent information for anyone who already is implementing these foods into their lifestyle, or someone who is trying to lose weight, become healthier, or is simply curious about what certain foods provide and what they can do for your body functionality.

I have hundred's of foods, spices, fats, oils, and more to discuss and Insha'Allah, I hope this is successful.

Each food will have it's own thread, and if you want to request information about a particular nutrient, and it hasn't been posted yet, then just submit a PM, and I will work on it ASAP!

Give me a little time, as this will take a lot of patience to get through each individual food group.

More importantly, I will also discuss any Islamic importance and/or significance in relation to individual foods listed and discussed.

I can't wait to get this off the ground!

Insha'Allah, I hope this helps anyone out there who wants to maintain a healthy lifestyle. So? What are we waiting for??!! Let's get this going!!!

Next post will be on the first food; which will be a fruit, and I will start with this entire category :D

Wasalam, AB313

post-106463-0-87653200-1443844002_thumb.

Watermelon

The Prophet Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÂáå took melon with dates

As wonderful as this fruit tastes, the benefits of this particular fruit are shocking!!

Watermelon is made-up of 92% of water!! So this fruit is not ONLY rehydrating, but also delicious!

What else makes this super fruit nutritious? Let me tell you :o

Watermelon is low in calories, it's also low in sodium too, it's virtually fat-free, and packed with nutrients like Vitamin C and Beta Carotene.

Ever wonder about those seeds? No, they won't grow inside you! :D Actually, the seeds found inside watermelon's contain an abundance of essential fatty acids and protein, yes I said PROTEIN!! So, if you ever decide to juice this fruit, be sure to juice up those seeds too!

Now, what does this high-factor of Vitamin C and Beta Carotene provide?

It helps to protect your skin against premature aging.

Other nutrients found in Watermelon: Vitamin B5, folate, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium.

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

Next food topic:

post-106463-0-57404200-1443845974_thumb.

Pineapple

For you Pineapple lover's out there, you will especially enjoy what this fruit has to offer!

Purely delicious in every way! This sweet fruit doesn't only produce a satiation of goodness, but it helps to improve digestion by cleansing the intestines :o

As wonderful as these taste the fragrance is outstanding!!

Let's talk nutrient's, shall we?

There is an enzyme called Bromelian found inside Pineapples, which are the causative agent that aids in the digestion of proteins. Ever tried a Papaya? Papaya's have a similar enzyme called Papain, which does something similar as well. Pineapples not only cleanse the intestinal tracts, but also stimulate the digestive system all together :o

Did I mention Pineapples help to lower cholesterol? Just another helpful aid.

Now, this also is another wonderful fruit to juice up!! Either on it's own or added with other fruits or vegetables, apples and/or bananas with this fruit is sublime :D or maybe some raspberries and mangos added with it!

Other nutrients found in Pineapples: Vitamin C, Beta Carotene, folate, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium.

Tip: I discussed in Watermelon the benefits of Vitamin C and Beta Carotene together, helps to protect your skin against premature aging. Pineapples have the same benefits...

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

Next food topic:

post-106463-0-17969700-1443848185.png

Kiwi Fruit

The joys of Kiwi fruit :) Suffering from water retention? Have no fear! Kiwi is here!!

First, let's talk Fiber. Kiwi's pack in a huge punch of fiber, which is a very effective digestive cleanser.

Not only do they promote digestive health, they also provide nutrients which aid in immune health benefits!

Now, how do they help with water retention? Let's get to it shall we?

Kiwi fruit is fantastic at removing excess sodium from the body (specifically the cells), which not ONLY stabilizes the water levels in the body, but also helps to lower blood pressure!! ^_^

Other nutrients found in the Kiwi fruit: Vitamin C, Beta Carotene, iron, folate, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, bioflavonoid, and potassium.

Tip: Eating just two Kiwi fruits packs in more Vitamin C than one orange!!

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

Next food topic:

post-106463-0-18311800-1443889510_thumb.

post-106463-0-51575200-1443852976_thumb.

Grapes

post-106463-0-20795000-1443888631_thumb.

post-106463-0-60833200-1443889248_thumb.

post-106463-0-96950100-1443889393_thumb.

post-106463-0-37153900-1443889709_thumb.

The Prophet Õáì Çááå Úáíå æÂáå was very fond of Grapes :)

Suffer from sugar cravings? I have something sweet to use an alternative :D

Grapes are very nutritious, a powerful cleansing agent to start with, and has an abundance of vitamins packed inside!!

Come check these tasties out!!

Grapes are loaded with antioxidants, they also detox the liver, kidney's, and digestive system :o

Constipated? :wacko: Don't let that get you down, Grapes provide a gentle laxative effect!! :excl: :dry:

Other nutrients found in Grapes: Vitamin's B1, B2, B3, C; zinc, iron, copper, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, flavonoids, and potassium.

Yes, I know...They have a high content of natural sugar inside, but they make a great snack (12-15 grapes).

Tip: If using as a detox, make sure to at least drink 8 glasses of water for optimal effects.

And from the fruits of date-palms and grapes, you derive strong drink (this was before the order of the prohibition of the alcoholic drinks) and a goodly provision. Verily, therein is indeed a sign for people who have wisdom. [16:67]

Then eat from all the fruits and follow the ways of your Lord laid down [for you]." There emerges from their bellies a drink, varying in colors, in which there is healing for people. Indeed in that is a sign for a people who give thought. [16:69]

... and near, and gardens of grapes, olives and pomegranates, each similar ...[6:99]

Then will come after that a year in which the people will be given rain and in which they will press [olives and grapes]. [12:49]

... by side and gardens of grapes and corn and palm trees ...[13:4]

With it He causes to grow for you the crops, the olives, the date-palms, the grapes, and every kind of fruit. Verily! In this is indeed an evident proof and a manifest sign for people who give thought. [16:11]

post-106463-0-28107200-1443889995_thumb.

Or [until] you have a garden of palm tress and grapes and make rivers gush forth within them in force [and abundance] [17:91]

post-106463-0-34002800-1443890108_thumb.

And put forward to them the example of two men; unto one of them We had given two gardens of grapes, and We had surrounded both with date-palms; and had put between them green crops (cultivated fields etc.) [18:32]

post-106463-0-97760200-1443890254_thumb.

Then We brought forth for you therewith gardens of date-palms and grapes, wherein is much fruit for you, and whereof you eat. [23:19]

post-106463-0-92762600-1443890442_thumb.

And We have made therein gardens of date-palms and grapes, and We have caused springs of water to gush forth therein. [36:34]

post-106463-0-53356300-1443890721_thumb.

And grapes and herbage [80:28]

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

Next food topic:

post-106463-0-15880800-1443856679_thumb.

The Peach (and Nectarines)

Soft and sweet, a luxurious texture; well, hello Peach. Let's not forget The Nectarine!! A little more rough on the outside, but the inside...

Delicious!! :D

These fruits are a detoxifying tag-team! Not ONLY do they detox the liver and kidney's, but they detox the bladder too!!

Super sweet with a deep cleansing effect on the body?? Can I have more?

Carry around too much water? Constipated? :wacko:  These babies work as a natural diuretic and laxative! :excl:  :dry:  

The beauty of the Peach and Nectarine go back to their gentleness (they are both soothing on the digestive system).

There are harsh laxatives on the market, so BEWARE of those effects!! These fruits are NOT scouring, they are GENTLEMEN!!

Now, this next one is for the Ladies!!  PMS :excl:  :mellow:  No, no, no!! I take that back, this one could very well be for the gents; I mean, ladies with noticeable PMS symptoms can easily effect their mates. Let's be kinder to the males, shall we? :lol:

Peaches and Nectarines have a gem packed inside, it's called Boron, this mineral helps to stabilize our hormones and also reduces our cravings of sugar during our time of month...Got a feisty wife during that time of month, throw one of these tasties at her, Ha! I'm joking, but they really do work!!

Other nutrients found in Peaches and Nectarines: Vitamin B3, C; zinc, iron, copper, beta carotene, folate, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, flavonoids, and potassium.

Tip: Check out the nutrients, they also help with the skin.

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

Next food topic:

post-106463-0-88905800-1443884259_thumb.

The Fig

Surat At-Tīnpost-106463-0-72320400-1443887640_thumb.

وَالتِّينِ وَالزَّيْتُون

By the fig and the olive [95:1]

The fruit from Paradise

Fig oh Fig, how do I love thee, let me count the ways...1,...2,...3

Enough of the nonsense! Let's talk about this fiber-rich fruit, shall we?

Yes, I know...Another high in natural sugar fruit (dry figs only), but the benefits are amazing, let me tell you!

If eaten in moderation, the Fig is definitely worthwhile. Since they have a high-fiber content; yes...you know it, they are excellent for your digestive health (especially if your digestive tract is sluggish)!! :wacko: 

A revitalizing laxative to boot; and surely, makes a great snack even if this isn't your problem area.

Now, qualifying as a low-fat food, the Fig helps to combat sugar cravings!

Other nutrients found in the Fig: Vitamin C; iron, beta carotene, folate, calcium, phosphorus, flavonoids, tryptophan, and potassium.

Tip: Tryptophan, promotes a good night's rest Zzz...Zzz... :huh:!! Also, found in the Banana.

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

I miss my fig trees! :cry:

If I'm not mistaken, fresh figs are rich in vitamin D, which can be an issue for people who spend most of their time indoors or cover most of their skin. Sadly, figs don't stay fresh for long, even with refrigeration.

Thanks for sharing all this wonderful information! It makes me feel like running out to buy some fruit.

Edited by notme

I miss my fig trees! :cry:

If I'm not mistaken, fresh figs are rich in vitamin D, which can be an issue for people who spend most of their time indoors or cover most of their skin. Sadly, figs don't stay fresh for long, even with refrigeration.

Thanks for sharing all this wonderful information! It makes me feel like running out to buy some fruit.

Rich in Calcium :excl: :lol:  It's the Vitamin C and Beta Carotene that helps with the skin!!

We will get into more Vitamin D rich foods later on, which pack a more powerful punch, don't worry.

Yes, they don't stay fresh for long, buy these tasties fresh~~

It's all about the Freshness with these Figs!! How many times have I said, Fresh?

The Fresh Factor.

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

Next food topic:

post-106463-0-17122600-1443891258_thumb.

The Apple

Warning: This is going to be extensive, yes; Apples are that important!

Exclusively packed with important vitamins and minerals, the nutrients speak for themselves :D

Not ONLY rich in fiber, Apples are a cleansing agent for the ENTIRE system of the body!!

Need to shed some pounds/kilograms (i.e., weight)? Apples are a top food for just that!!

Apples are high in Pectin, this is a soluble fiber which promotes peristalsis (i.e., muscular contractions of the bowels), which keeps your intestines clean and helps to remove the toxins that can build-up :excl: :wacko: 

Not ONLY does Pectin contribute to a healthy digestive tract, but it also helps in the reduction of "bad" LDL cholesterol in the blood.

Getting back to the digestive tract; Apples contain enzymes that aid in the digestive process, including Malic Acid, which helps to break down and get rid (eliminate) fatty deposits in your cells.

Malic Acid is definitely essential, because this enzyme helps to remove those toxins I highlighted, and guess what?! Those toxins lead to CELLULITE!!! Definitely don't want that :dry:

Apples are believed to relieve many of the discomforts that ail people who suffer from IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) :excl: :wacko: 

Other nutrients found in the Apple: Vitamin C, beta carotene, folate, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, and potassium.

Tip: Apples help to reduce inflammation in the body; in some cases, people who suffer with Rheumatism and Gout. Not ONLY these types of inflammatory processes, but also with people who suffer from respiratory infections*

It's always best to choose Apples that are ripe, because you want this fruit to be at it's optimal nutritional value when you consume it! If you purchase and/or grow Apples (Organic), make sure you wash them thoroughly before eating!!

Always store Apples out of direct sunlight after you bring them inside your home, and keep them cool. This helps them to last longer after picked from the tree.

For you people who love to juice: Include the skin and the seeds! This is where most of the nutrient are found.

As stated before, these delicious fruit's help with cleansing, but for them to be most effective, you have to drink at least 8 glasses of water.

Apples are superb skin helpers :) Have any blemishes? Want a healthy glow? Eat an Apple.

Now, there are many articles online and in various medical journals that explain how Apples can help fight major diseases; however, I am not here to diagnose and/or treat those ailments, nor to prove them to you; so if you would like to find out if they work in that department, seek medical advice and treatment from your local physician or (Nutritionist)**

Now, what are the other claims I am referring to? Get Whiter teeth, Protect against Parkinson’s, Curb all sorts of cancer's, Decrease your risk of diabetes, Reduce cholesterol, Get a healthier heart, Beat diarrhea, constipation, and Neutralize Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Prevent gallstones, Avert hemorrhoids, Detoxify your liver, Prevent cataracts, Boost your immune system, and Control your weight**

Ever heard the term: "An Apple a day keeps the doctor away?" This might be why :o

Literally; on the Apple alone, it would be about 5 to 6 pages of information (each)!! Maybe more...

These posts are to promote Wellness :wub: 

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

Next food topic:

post-106463-0-71888300-1443895935.jpg

The Apricot

The Apricot is super-sweet, but it's also LOW-CALORIE!! These tasties make a great snack and can also be used to sweeten up some recipes :)

Let's get down to business, shall we?

Apricots are known to be excellent cleansers of the digestive system, and they also promote detoxification in that particular area, because they help to eliminate your body's waste matter :excl:

Another great attribute of the Apricot, it has an abundance of antioxidants, which help the body fight infections and some diseases.

No, sorry...antioxidants don't cure anything, but they sure do help!!

Constipated? The Apricot can be used as a mild laxative! :excl:  :dry: 

This next one is just for the Ladies!! Yes...YOU! :rolleyes:  PMS can really be troubling in reoccurring cycles each month, well...the Apricot helps in that department Ladies! The Apricot helps to relieve PMS and those terrible menstrual cramps that come along with it!! :blush: 

Now, a very cool tidbit to add to the list B)  When the composition of fruit changes (not all fruit), some of the nutrients can be more profound :o 

Tip: When the Apricot is in dry-form, it becomes a particularly good source of IRON!!

Check out the vitamin content in these tasties!!!

Other nutrients found in the Apricot: Vitamin's B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, and C; beta carotene, folate, calcium, copper, zinc, magnesium, and potassium.

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

Do one on dates please :)

Good thread, thumbs up!

You got it, brother! :D I will after the Apricot is complete!!

Thank you very much my dearest brother :)

After Apricot is complete, the following requests will be added: Dates for Repenter, and Pomegranates for Mina313 

Ali_Hussain: I can do one on those WF Waffles, but you have to join the clan first, and when you do...I Guarantee Chief in Command Status for you :lol: 

The Apricot is now COMPLETE!!!

I am very excited to move on to the next two!! :D  There will be massive edits, so keep tuning-in, this one will be a dozy! 

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

After Apricot is complete, the following requests will be added: Dates for Repenter, and Pomegranates for Mina313 

Ali_Hussain: I can do one on those WF Waffles, but you have to join the clan first, and when you do...I Guarantee Chief in Command Status for you :lol: 

Well I live in Belgium, the land of waffles!

(I'm also quite partial to those potato waffles, very tasty)

Next food topic:

post-106463-0-13712000-1443978636_thumb.

Dates

حدثنا أبي رضي الله عنه قال: حدثنا محمد بن يحيى العطار قال: حدثنا أبو سعيد الادمي قال: حدثنا علي بن

الزيات عن عبيد الله بن عبد الله، عمن ذكره عن أبي عبد الله عليه السلام قال: قال أمير المؤمنين عليه

السلام: بينما نحن عند رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله إذ ورد عليه وفد عبد القيس فسلموا ثم وضعوا بين يديه

جلة تمر فقال رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله: أصدقة أم هدية؟ قالوا: بل هدية يا رسول الله قال: أي تمراتكم

هذه؟ قالوا: البرني فقال عليه السلام: في تمرتكم هذه تسع خصال: إن هذا جبرئيل يخبرني أن فيه تسع

خصال: يطيب النكهة، ويطيب المعدة، ويهضم الطعام، ويزيد في السمع والبصر، ويقوي الظهر، ويخبل

الشيطان، ويقرب من الله عز وجل، ويباعد من الشيطان                 

My Father (al-Ṣaduq) told us, said: told us Muḥammad b. Yaḥya al-Aṭṭar, said: told us Abu Sa‘id al-Adami, said: told us ‘Ali b. al-Ziyat, from ‘Abid Allah b. ‘Abd Allah, from whom he mentioned, from Abi ‘Abd Allah [عليه‌ السلام], said: Amir Mu'minin Ali [عليه‌ السلام] said: “While we were with the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him and his household) a visitor arrived, ‘Abd al-Qays. So they greeted him (the Prophet ), and placed between hands a basket of dates. So the Messenger of Allah said: ‘Is this charity or a gift?’, they said: ‘rather, it is a gift O Messenger of Allah ’. He said: What [type of] dates are these?’ they said: ‘al-Barni (Banry)’. So he said: ‘In your dates are nine good qualities: Jebrail (A.S) tells me there are nine good qualities: Aromatizes the flavor/scent; cures (makes better) the stomach; digests food; increases eyesight and hearing; strengths the back; crazes the Shayṭan; and brings you near to Allah the Almighty and Exalted; and furthers you from Shayṭan’.”

عَلِيُّ بْنُ إِبْرَاهِيمَ عَنْ أَبِيهِ عَنْ عَمْرِو بْنِ عُثْمَانَ عَنْ أَبِي عَمْرٍو عَنْ رَجُلٍ عَنْ أَبِي عَبْدِ اللَّهِ ( عليه السلام )

قَالَ خَيْرُ تُمُورِكُمُ الْبَرْنِيُّ يَذْهَبُ بِالدَّاءِ وَ لَا دَاءَ فِيهِ وَ يَذْهَبُ بِالْإِعْيَاءِ وَ لَا ضَرَرَ لَهُ وَ يَذْهَبُ بِالْبَلْغَمِ وَ مَعَ كُلِّ

. تَمْرَةٍ حَسَنَةٌ وَ فِي رِوَايَةٍ أُخْرَى يَهْنَأُ وَ يَمْرَأُ وَ يَذْهَبُ بِالْإِعْيَاءِ وَ يُشْبِعُ                                    

(al-Ṣaduq's Thawab al-A‘mal, Ch. The Nine: Nine qualities Allah gave to His Prophet , pg. 416-7, n. 8)

Ali b. Ibrahim, from his father, from ‘Amru b. ‘Uthman, from Abi ‘Amru, from a man, from Abi ‘Abd Allah (عليه‌ السلام), said: “The best of your dates are al-Barni (Banry). Does [rids] away from illness, and no ailment in it; and does [rids] away from exhaustion, and no harm in it; and does [rids] away from expectoration. And with every date, is reward.” And in another narration, it brings about enjoyment with wholesome results, and does [rids] away from exhaustion and fills the stomach (satisfied).

عن الحسن بن علي بن أبي عثمان  رفعه قال: اهدي إلى رسول الله (صلى الله عليه وآله) تمر برني من تمر

اليمامة، فقال: أكثر لنا من هذا التمر، فهبط عليه جبرئيل، فقال: التمر البرني يشبع ويهنئ ويمرئ ، وهو

.الدواء ولا داء له، ومع كل تمرة حسنة، ويرضى الرّحمن، ويسخط الشيطان، ويزيد في ماء قفار الظهر

(al-Kulayni, al-Kafi, vol. 6, pg. 345, n. 5)

From Ḥasan b. Ali b. Abi ‘Uthman, elevated it [to], said: “The Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings be upon him and his household) was presented with al-Barni (Banry) dates, from dates of Yamanah, so he said: ‘Bring us more of the theses dates’, so Jebrail [A.S] descended and said: ‘al-Barni (Banry) dates satisfy the stomach, brings enjoyment [from it: the dates] and wholesome results. And it is the medicine, and no illness can reach (it). And with every date is a reward, and pleases The Most Merciful [Allah], and angers Shayṭan, and increases the fluid in the vertebral column of the back.’

،وعن محمد بن الحسن بن شمون، قال: كتب إلى أبي الحسن (عليه السلام) بعض أصحابنا يشكو البخر

فكتب إليه: كل التمر البرني، وكتب إليه آخر يشكو يبسا فكتب إليه: كل التمر البرني على الريق واشرب عليه

الماء، ففعل فسمن وغلبت عليه الرطوبة، فكتب إليه يشكو ذلك فكتب إليه: كل التمر البرني على الريق، ولا

.تشرب عليه الماء، فاعتدل                                                                    

(al-Barqi's Maḥasin, vol. 2, pg. 534, n. 799)

And from Muhammad b. al-Hasan b. Shamun, said: Some of our companions wrote to Abi al- Ḥasan [A.S.] complaining about halitosis (bad breath), so he [A.S] wrote to him: “Eat Barni (Banry) dates.” Another wrote to him complaining about dryness of the skin, so he [A.S] wrote to him: “Eat Barni (Banry) dates at breakfast and drink with it.” So he did, then he fattened and was overcome with moistness, so he wrote again complaining. He [A.S] wrote back: “Eat Barni (Banry) dates at breakfast, and do not drink water with it.” So he stabilized.

محمد بن يعقوب، عن عدة من أصحابنا، عن أحمد بن أبي عبدالله عن محمد بن عيسى

Currently under construction**

Stay Tuned...

post-106463-0-83294600-1443987108_thumb.

Edited by AhlulBayt_313

As`salamu Alikoum,

Health Start will have a delay of 3 days. Stay tuned...

I apologize for any inconvenience and look forward to this weeks posts!!

Thank you for all the support thus far, it really means a lot to me. AB cares about you all, and Insha`Allah the best of health for everyone :blush:

Fii `Aman Allah

Up and running!! Let's get healthy!! :D

Edited by AhlulBayt_313