Walking is a good way to get fit and stay healthy. Post your steps, miles or kilometers. Please don't compare yourself to others. If you haven't been walking regularly, start with five minutes and try to do a little more each day. If you don't have a pedometer, google the distance you walked and compare to this chart:

chart.gif

Since today is not over yet, I can't post today's steps.

I'm going to post the steps I walked yesterday. 1,595 steps.

InshaAllah tomorrow is Saturday so I will probably walk more.

But it won't show up until I post it on Sunday. ;)

I think of walking as transportation, not exercise. My son told me his friend called him "weird" because he walks places.

That is weird since most people drive everywhere, I even drive to a store thats a few minutes away. Walking would be better health wise and cheaper lol

My today's walking distance: About 3 KM (from Google). That's the least amount I usually walk every day.

-----------

As for walking and transportation and apart from walking and health, walking also has many other overt and covert positive effects. It is a good solution for reducing the usage of vehicles and, as a result, reducing traffic jam, car accident, fuel consumption, air and noise pollution, waste of oil resources and cost/money. 

I think of walking as transportation, not exercise. My son told me his friend called him "weird" because he walks places.

It's not weird, but that using car for every single movement and at the same time walking just for our health without going to a destination we need to go is weird. I mean instead of walking in streets just for the sake of our health we can walk (the entire path or at least a part of it) to the places such as work, university, school which we are obliged to go there. This way many transportation issues and problems like the ones mentioned above can be solved or reduced.

A few weeks ago we walked to our local public library. It isn't far, but there were no sidewalks. When we got there, I found a tick on my daughter. Fortunately it hadn't dug in yet, it was just on the surface of her skin, but still it was disgusting. We are a mile from a grocery store and less than a mile from library, community center, schools, playground, restaurants, and several small stores, but we have no sidewalk and we are close to highways. This place is very poorly designed for walking.

Should I design walking paths and submit them to the locality?

Edited by notme

And bicycle paths as well.

Multi-use paths. But I don't know how much easement there is by the side of the road, and also environmental regulations could limit the feasibility of non-porous paved paths. I was thinking of gravel or porous pavement like an improved hiking trail. Can bikes run on those?

My steps are up some days and down some days. It's all good. :)

September 25 - 2655 steps

September 26 - 1191 steps

September 27 - 1544 steps

September 28 - 1047 steps

September 29 - 2271 steps

September 30 - 2937 steps

Still walking every day, but only posting days that I walked 2km (1.25 miles), more than 2500 steps. :) 

October 23 - 4108 
October 25 - 2555
October 26 - 2850

November 03 - 2804
November 06 - 3250
November 11 - 6689
November 12 - 3203
November 14 - 4683
November 16 - 2672
November 21 - 4800
November 23 - 7301
November 24 - 4224
November 25 - 2691

On 9/19/2015 at 2:24 AM, Repentant said:

Do you have a chart that shows how many calories are burned through keyboard key strokes?

How many calories do you burn during Typing, electric, manual or computer? Calories Burned: 29 calories per hour

Enter your information (weight, height, age and gender) to get an estimate of how many calories you burn:

https://www.fitday.com/webfit/burned/calories_burned_Typing_electric_manual_or_computer.html

i dont want to be demotivating but walking wont actually lose you any weight, you might sweat a little but also it will increase your appetite which means even MORE weight on 

i used to run every day for 10 kms for years(till i buckled my knees as i used to almost never take days off and recover) and i can tell you that unless you are running at least 7 kms a day (with days off for recovery) you wont lose any fat 

however there is also another problem , if you do decide to run 5-7km per day you still need to diet, because if you eat what you like, the more exercise you do the more your appetite will increase and that means that you will be putting on even more weight then you had before and the whole experience will be counter productive 

so when you sum it all up, if your after weight loss there is only one way to do it, and thats to diet, you dont even need to exercise you can just continue to live your life as you did but you have got to always be hungry, and when you eat, eat very little and eat VERY healthy (like salads with a little protein avoiding carbs and of course junk food)