Sign in to follow this  
alidu78

Death Penaly Exist In Zoroastrianism ?

Though a case can be made against capital punishment from the Zoroastrian scriptures from those who wish to apply the death penalty, the last time the death penalty was applied was when Zoroastrianism was the state religion of the Persian Empire which included once predominantly Zoroastrian lands like Iran, Azerbaijan, Kurdistan, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan and Uzbekistan.

I found an article which said that homosexuality is punished by death in zoroastrism...

Yeah that's true. But Zoroastrianism hasn't been a state religion for some centuries, so they can't really carry out the punishment. Most Zoroastrians are located in India, they obviously cant openly execute people because they have to obviously adhere to the state and federal laws over there. Iran is obviously different, because homosexuality is also punished by death in Islam.

Edited by Zendegi

In abrahamic religions I'm sure death penalty existed in the old testament. sidenote Freddie Mercury was zoroastrian and gay. Alot of zoroastrians are not really that aware of their scriptures, apart from prayers.The original text is probably closer to sanskrit which has some similar meanings, but apart from priestly families most don't understand the meaning of texts let alone the jurisprudence part.Especially as the texts have been rewritten so many times. But attitude wise principles are good words, good thoughts good deeds, so dont think they'd jump to death penalty, apart from a lot not liking us very much, they are pretty tolerant.I think they would be more angry if they had a gay son because he wouldn't be able to increase the low numbers of zoroastrians worldwide.