Sign in to follow this  
Ali-F

How To React When People Don't Greet You?

Rate this topic

Salam alaykuum

For like 30 min ago (or so) I was in the grocery to buy something for my mother.

Now, meanwhile I'm at the check-out, I see two people. The first is my "friend" in these sense that we have been in the same class for nearly 3 years - the second person was also well-known - though he was younger.

Now, they attended the grocery (and the 1-person saw me) but they did not - supposedly, say hello or smile or did something like that. They moved to a place near the check-out but it was still the same case - though I quickly left the grocery, and left them. Now, they would maybe greet me when they finished, but God knows best.

Though, what I want to say is: How should you react or tackle the situation when a friend or something like that does not greet you or maybe sees you and just turns his back and leave? *

Surely, dhan' (suspicion) is haraam, but obviously a person would think about the situation and try to figure out what the heck just happened. 

* = Yes, I have experienced that a person turned his back, lol, and just didn't look at me (same grocery lol).

Wa alaykum al salaaam.

^ As someone else mentioned, just be the bigger person and say Salam. 

I always find that situation happens to be when I'm at the Mosque. I'll say Salam and certain elderly people will give me a look and turn away. Don't take it personally, you've done your part of greeting them. Now it's up to them to return your greeting. If they don't want to reply you (which is wajib for them BTW), then just move on. That's their problem... There are other people in your vicinity that would be happy to see you. 

W Salam

don't worry, it's typical, sometimes out of arrogance and pride, sometimes unnecessary shame.

recently, it's getting rise in the age of so-called "civil-inattention" and "individuality".

^ As someone else mentioned, just be the bigger person and say Salam. 

I always find that situation happens to be when I'm at the Mosque. I'll say Salam and certain elderly people will give me a look and turn away. Don't take it personally, you've done your part of greeting them. Now it's up to them to return your greeting. If they don't want to reply you (which is wajib for them BTW), then just move on. That's their problem... There are other people in your vicinity that would be happy to see you. 

Are you serious? I would've went to the Imam of the joint. And said a person did that (no need to mention names). Please remind everyone in your sermon today what is obligatory in greetings, especially to a fellow person who believes in Imam Mehdi AS.

Here, it's not normal to say "salam alaykum" i.e. the islamic greeting. I mean between us shababs. Yes, I should probably have said hey, but cmon, if they don't want - why should I? Lakum dinakum wa liya deen.

Bismillah Ta'alaa

Salam Alaikum

Say salams for the sake of Allah and reap your rewards. If they are rude to you but you stay kind, you will reap even more rewards and blessings will be taken away from their own lives at their own doing. Rudeness comes from a diseased heart so do not be upset with them, their hearts are sick and they are miserable. My advice is to have pity and make dua for them that Allah removes whatever darkness there is in their hearts. Make sure to concentrate on the emotion of pity as it is the best remedy for hatred and spite against another who does wrong to you. 

When I see someone who knows me and they see me, but turn their head the other way as if we had not seen each other.

I go to him and put my left hand on his shoulder, as he turns to face me I keep my left hand firmly on his shoulder.

Then I smile and keep my left hand there as I greet him, meanwhile keeping dead eye contact, when I am done greeting him I remove my hand from his shoulder.

In conclusion, slightly intimidating behaviour mixed with a lot of friendliness and smiling and he will definitely greet you next time before you go to him.

Anyways, that's what I do and it works for me.