Sign in to follow this  
Ali-F

How To Avoid Handshake Naturally

Rate this topic

Salaaam.

You know, sometimes this handshake may come on unexpected occasions e.g. when one is just sitting and suddenly a girl just gives you the handshake. At this moment a person can do two things: Either give the handshake OR reject. Actually, there's a third: To avoid it naturally.

Here's my main point. I mean, we can all just say "no, it's haraam" but that can be really embarrasing (especially when there are other people), but I think it's better to avoid it naturally. For example by saying: "Oh, do you know what that handshake actually means? Oh, did you know that in Japan they.....bla..bla..".

This can be problematic if the person suddenly insists.

...which tricks do you think a person can use? I have come with a new idea: I will everyday (or try) to take vaseline (cream) on my hands. Now, when a girl wants to give a handshake or what the heck she wants, I will just say "Ah, look at my hands" - see? Smart :)

Do you have some tricks you can share?

My only trick is that I keep a usually long distance at first sight. That way people usually don't bother and settle for a simple "Hello, nice to meet you." instead. Doesn't always work and can seem awkward sometimes.

Edited by Abu Nasr

Tell them you've scrubbed medicine on your hands.

But honestly, Islam is a religion that gives logical reasoning why certain things shouldn't be done. There's no reason to shy away from the real reason. Just tell them you can't because it is scientifically and ethically demeaning.

Nice question. If I will use your trick (put sticky thing) and make it an excuse, then would that work with the same person every time? would not be awkward  to use the same kind of excuses every time with a group of people?

The way that I do it is this: I do not shake my hands with them. That is it. It is up to them how they interpret your refusal to shake hands. But, for the most part, they understand that you have something prevents you from shaking. If they ask why, I love telling them my religion prevents that.  

In fact, they put more respect  for us if we make it straightforward like simply not shaking hands without excuses. because they will later get back to themselves and ask "why did he/she not sake hands with me?" and they will understand eventually. 

More importantly, see the Iranian diplomats how they act in these kinds of situations like the pictures above.