Sign in to follow this  
Chaotic Muslem

Half Of All The Medical Literature Is False

This is a welcoming gift for bro Sami,

Dr. Horton recently published a statement declaring that a lot of published research is in fact unreliable at best, if not completely false.

“The case against science is straightforward: much of the scientific literature, perhaps half, may simply be untrue. Afflicted by studies with small sample sizes, tiny effects, invalid exploratory analyses, and flagrant conflicts of interest, together with an obsession for pursuing fashionable trends of dubious importance, science has taken a turn towards darkness.

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2015/05/16/editor-in-chief-of-worlds-best-known-medical-journal-half-of-all-the-literature-is-false/

This is quite distrubing, given the fact that all of these studies (which are industry sponsored) are used to develop drugs/vaccines to supposedly help people, train medical staff, educate medical students and more.

When the bottom line is only $$ , and when there is $1,000,000,000,000.00 at stake, with no moral compass guiding them, what else would you expect?

I rest my case .

Not all. Not everyone is dishonest. Everything has to be verified, that is all.

The work I did (long ago) was genuine and meaningful.

He said half of all medical literature . So it's the half and he gave some reasons like small sample size.

How many times did hear that reducing salt intake is beneficial for preventing heart problems?

Upon reviewing the medical literature and scrutinizing it using developed set of tools called EBM , this proves to have no basis .

There is nothing to back up this theory that could be relied upon.

Plenty of researchers care more about publications than correctness. A characteristic of privately funded research is the desire to please the client. People are biased toward the answers they want to find. Everything has to be verified.

We also need to remember that just because it is published doesn't mean it is a fact.

tbh, to an extent - and i don't know how big- it can be true. One study shows something, another shows something else, and there's issues with bias, sample sizes, and so on. Especially with drugs (from what i saw).

I'm not sure if it's as extreme as half.

Edited by Tawheed313