vazeer

Iran Ziyarat Help

I want to go for Ziayarat is Allah wishes soon to iran.

I have to visit Qom, Mashad, Jamakran, Ispahan, and if possible Yazd

I have never been there so have no idea can anyone help me out here the experiecened users.

Im planing to land in Tehran and then by bus travel to Qom and then Ispahan how should i go from there to Mashhad, i dont wana spend much on hotel etc Musfairkhana will do even(as im not booking any hotels what is best way to find hotel as soon as reach), i came to know that very close to Imam Reza Harama there is pakistani hotel which is very cheap any one has an idea.

Please guide what is best way to travel, cheap hotel, good and affordable food.

And in iranian currency didgits get so big how u track of money, convert everything or just what they ask how it works ????

I want to go for Ziayarat is Allah wishes soon to iran.

I have to visit Qom, Mashad, Jamakran, Ispahan, and if possible Yazd

I have never been there so have no idea can anyone help me out here the experiecened users.

Im planing to land in Tehran and then by bus travel to Qom and then Ispahan how should i go from there to Mashhad, i dont wana spend much on hotel etc Musfairkhana will do even(as im not booking any hotels what is best way to find hotel as soon as reach), i came to know that very close to Imam Reza Harama there is pakistani hotel which is very cheap any one has an idea.

Please guide what is best way to travel, cheap hotel, good and affordable food.

And in iranian currency didgits get so big how u track of money, convert everything or just what they ask how it works ????

Best wishes. 

I visited the country recently Alhumdolillah, and yes there are a few things to note if you're traveling by yourself (as I did): 

- Tehran to Qum (and back) is a common short route for shared taxis, but beware they will initially quote something like 3x of what you can get if you haggle properly - I paid the equivalent of two US dollars in a slightly uncomfortable shared taxi (tip: if you're not in a hurry and can plan in advance, stick to buses and trains as you will only pay reasonable local fares and travel comfortably); you can get your own entire taxi too but they'll ask for almost 10x 

- Tehran to Isfahan is a longer journey, around five hours on bus if I remember correctly 

- once you're back from Isfahan, there's a good overnight Tehran-Mashad train you can get, I believe it's under 12 hours 

- and yes there's a Pakistani musafirkhana/lodge in Mashad called 'Shah-e-Khorasan', about 10-15 minute walk from the haram/shrine (and a musafirkhana 'Aal-e-Imran' in Qum right opposite the shrine, probably 2 minutes walk) 

- in my experience food is fairly expensive if you constantly eat out near the shrine, it's more cost-effective to bring groceries like eggs, bread, yoghurt, honey, etc back to your lodge's kitchen and alternate between that and proper outside meals 

- you can't pay or withdraw money (at least till the US sanctions are still in place, hopefully this changes soon) using your international debit or credit cards, what people normally do is purchase US dollars before leaving for Iran, and once you reach Iran exchange the dollars for Iranian Rials 

- 10 Rials make one Toman, and prices are usually quoted in Toman (make sure though, don't pay 10 times what you intended) :) 

It is critical that you travel light, if you want to be able to move around flexibly (i.e. to have the choice between taking trains vs taxis vs buses) you should only carry one carry-on type of bag on you. 

Trains are more comfortable but also more expensive than buses, though buses aren't that bad either. You can buy train tickets from travel agency offices on the roadside (staff speaks English in most large cities), just be sure to buy a couple days in advance to avoid surprises. To buy bus tickets, I would go to the bus station (tip: stick to the larger (I think government-owned) company 'Hamsafar'). Maybe you can buy them at travel agents too but I didn't check. 

If you can learn some Persian words that will make your life much easier in Iran. If you get in touch with Pakistani students living there, they may be able to help with some translation and general guidance. 

you can book a room at Al e imran by paying them in pakistan. 

pro tip: take a tent with you. it will save you A LOT of money. you can camp in plenty of places in Mashad like camp ghadeer. You can find a cheap hotel which offers one chelo kebab for 7000 tomans. Buy bread in bulk.

In Qom, you can put up your tent under that famous old bridge close to Haram. shower in public hamaams. eat daal, or ghormeh sabzi or go to iraqi bazaar (cheapest)

Always travel in shared taxi, use metro in Tehran and Mashad, Travelling between inter-cities is cheap whether by bus or train (buy cheaper seat in train i.e sandali, and dont choose deluxe buses)

you can book a room at Al e imran by paying them in pakistan. 

pro tip: take a tent with you. it will save you A LOT of money. you can camp in plenty of places in Mashad like camp ghadeer. You can find a cheap hotel which offers one chelo kebab for 7000 tomans. Buy bread in bulk.

In Qom, you can put up your tent under that famous old bridge close to Haram. shower in public hamaams. eat daal, or ghormeh sabzi or go to iraqi bazaar (cheapest)

Always travel in shared taxi, use metro in Tehran and Mashad, Travelling between inter-cities is cheap whether by bus or train (buy cheaper seat in train i.e sandali, and dont choose deluxe buses)

Tents would be risky depending on the weather (during peak summer and peak winter months), the shared musafirkhaneh lodges/rooms are inexpensive enough that I think everyone can afford it. It's just three US dollars equivalent per night, if I remember correctly. 

And showers etc too would be much more convenient if it's in the same place you sleep. I would advise against tents unless you're a regular visitor and know what is involved. 

salam brother

i am visiting iran and iraq in a couple of weeks. i need some info on camping areas in mashad and qom. can you tell me where can i camp in mashad and qum. and how far it is from the shrine. i can't afford hotels or musafir khana.

i have my brother with me.

also, whats the cheapest way from mashad airport to the camping area or holy shrine.

thanks in advance

Musafir khana's are fairly cheap .. .and at walking distance from the shrine so you can just lap it up while exploring the bazaar there. we landed in tehran, took a cab to Qom and then Jamkaran, came back to Tehran and then took a plane to Mashad. there we stayed at a musafirkhana - fairly cheap i must say - and then returned to tehran where we stayed at a hotel. things dont cost too much, but you need to haggle them for it - particularly the taxi guys. 

thanks for the info brother.

whats the difference between hotel and musafirkhana.

can we get a room in a house there aswell?

i remember in 2007 we a full portion of house on rent for 12 persons. that was cheap aswell. but this time we are only two persons.

a musafirkhana is much like getting a room in a house - a self-serving thing because you just get a room with basic necessities like electricity and all. food and all you have to manage on your own. very cheap and the pakistani musafirkhana's mentioned above are a great choice too in terms of budget. 

ok. thanks for the info brother.  

i will prefer my camp if they allow somewhere relatively close to the shrine. 

however i will get a musfirkhana if the cold gets unbearable. its usually -2 in night during my travel dates?

pray for me as i will be coming from arbaeen in karbala.

total camping in iraq aswell inshallah.