Jump to content
Amina

Who Are Khoja Shi'as?

Recommended Posts

I'm a Khoja, my grandparents migrated from India to Pakistan (or maybe they just lived in the pre-Pakistan part of India before they split, I forget), but my mother says that our early ancestors were Hindus. My grandparents and father speak Gujarati. I'm kind of biased, but I think we're pretty nice, though some say we are kind of nosy :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2017 at 2:18 PM, Hassan Y said:

If you're a virgin that sunni boy needs your father's permission to marry you, unless you're desperately in need of marriage and there is no other qualified man to ask for your hand.

I m not virgin m divorcee ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Syeda Urooba said:

I m not virgin m divorcee ... 

Than the sunni boy does not need to obtain your father's permission to marry you. However to be on the safe side, send the marjas your question in detail and they will answer it based on your situation.

Sayed Ali Khamenei - http://leader.ir/en/istifta (answers within 4-8 days)

Sayed Sistani - http://www.sistani.org/english/send-question/ (answers within 7+ days)

Edited by Hassan Y

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Hassan Y said:

Than the sunni boy does not need to obtain your father's permission to marry you. However to be on the safe side, send the marjas your question in detail and they will answer it based on your situation.

Sayed Ali Khamenei - http://leader.ir/en/istifta (answers within 4-8 days)

Sayed Sistani - http://www.sistani.org/english/send-question/ (answers within 7+ days)

Thnks #Hassan :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will find many Khojas on this forum and one among all is myself. My Grandfather's grandfather was Hindu. I do not live in Gujarat but I can speak Gujarati. I'm more comfortable in local language i.e. Hindi/Urdu.

Someone here said that khojas are less religious, less knowledgeable, etc...I would rather say that it depends upon individual and the society as to how much religious he is.

Khojas are more of a race/cultural thing and has nothing to do with religion.

Be it Iraqi, Irani, lebanese, sayyed, khoja, etc. we all are shia and united on Wilayat-e-Ali (a.s.). Any other difference doesn't matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Man we've been praised too much on this forum! Care to hear some negatives about us, of course no ill intent just some light-hearted honesty? I could write a book but I'll keep it brief if you're interested, you might have a little laugh too. 

Edited by Mohamed1993

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am not Khoja, I have always found the Khoja community to be the most charming and charitable Shia communities.

Incredibly well organised Shia events timed to the minute. Under the leadeship of the late Mullah Asghar ( God bless his soul and raise him to the highest station) the Khoja community has gone from strength to strength establishing Imambargahs and Madrassahs where ever there is a sizeable Shia community.

It is reported that they were originally Hindu and converted to Sunni Islam under the influence of Muslim Sufi saints whose names are still revered in their books.

The British gave their area to the Agha Khan ( at that time) who converted them to Ismaili ( while it was still fairly mainstream Islam). From their a group split off enduring financial and social boycotting to become Shia Ithna Asheria  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, A true Sunni said:

I am not Khoja, I have always found the Khoja community to be the most charming and charitable Shia communities.

Incredibly well organised Shia events timed to the minute. Under the leadeship of the late Mullah Asghar ( God bless his soul and raise him to the highest station) the Khoja community has gone from strength to strength establishing Imambargahs and Madrassahs where ever there is a sizeable Shia community.

It is reported that they were originally Hindu and converted to Sunni Islam under the influence of Muslim Sufi saints whose names are still revered in their books.

The British gave their area to the Agha Khan ( at that time) who converted them to Ismaili ( while it was still fairly mainstream Islam). From their a group split off enduring financial and social boycotting to become Shia Ithna Asheria  

Most converted from Hindu to Khoja Ismaili to Khoja Itnasheri. I don't recall my ancestors ever being sunni, at least not that my parents have ever told me. They mostly converted because Ismailis no longer mourned for Imam Hussein and my great great grandparents were put off by that and decided that any religion where they don't commemorate Kerbala, is not right. We are generous with wealth in donating to good causes, but we are also very spendthrift I think. Khoja weddings are too much man.

Edited by Mohamed1993

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Mohamed1993 said:

Man we've been praised too much on this forum! Care to hear some negatives about us, of course no ill intent just some light-hearted honesty? I could write a book but I'll keep it brief if you're interested, you might have a little laugh too. 

:salam:

Very nice and friendly communities, which I tend to think are still organized like ismailis (this and that jamaat).

Two Mosques in my area,

First one I have been going to for almost 10 years and remarkably open to all ethnic groups with a friday khutba in local language so everyone can understand. Beautiful place and peope with wonderful akhlaq.

The other is completely closed to non khoja, I have heard they come and tell you it's ok for this time but please do not come back. Only exception is when the rep. of Ayatollah Al Sistani visits them - he never misses to do so. They say it is the mosque of the wealthy ones. 

I guess I like Khojas when they are modest, just like any community actually :)

Oh yeah, you look like good businessmen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mohamed1993 said:

Most converted from Hindu to Khoja Ismaili to Khoja Itnasheri. I don't recall my ancestors ever being sunni, at least not that my parents have ever told me. They mostly converted because Ismailis no longer mourned for Imam Hussein and my great great grandparents were put off by that and decided that any religion where they don't commemorate Kerbala, is not right. We are generous with wealth in donating to good causes, but we are also very spendthrift I think. Khoja weddings are too much man.

You have to go a little deeper into your history brother. The Agha Khan tried to wipe out the history of your origins.

The Hindu Khojas of that time who converted were to Sunni were close to the Ahlul bait and so the Agha Khan found it easy to change them to Ismaili. However it was not the Ismailiism that we see today but one that was more akin to Bohra practices

It is felt that the Syeds who came to India and converted your ancestors were Shia Ithna Asheri but kept their true mazhab secret due to persecution. The feeling was that they would reveal the truth once the time was ripe.

Nothing wrong with spend thrift and yes I have been to Khoja Weddings :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, realizm said:

:salam:

Very nice and friendly communities, which I tend to think are still organized like ismailis (this and that jamaat).

Two Mosques in my area,

First one I have been going to for almost 10 years and remarkably open to all ethnic groups with a friday khutba in local language so everyone can understand. Beautiful place and peope with wonderful akhlaq.

The other is completely closed to non khoja, I have heard they come and tell you it's ok for this time but please do not come back. Only exception is when the rep. of Ayatollah Al Sistani visits them - he never misses to do so. They say it is the mosque of the wealthy ones. 

I guess I like Khojas when they are modest, just like any community actually :)

Oh yeah, you look like good businessmen.

I have never heard of any Khoja Imambargah asking Shias to not return. Khojas tend to ask you not to interfere in the smooth running of the Imambargah ie. attend pay your voluntary dues but dont interfere.

Many people get upset at the strict administration of Khoja institutions and become anti-Khoja. Dont fall into that trap we all could learn from them

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, A true Sunni said:

It is felt that the Syeds who came to India and converted your ancestors were Shia Ithna Asheri but kept their true mazhab secret due to persecution. The feeling was that they would reveal the truth once the time was ripe.

Not sure brother, my family has been in Tanzania for 4 generations now, actually some of my Mom's side is from Oman but also Khoja.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A true Sunni said:

Khojas tend to ask you not to interfere in the smooth running of the Imambargah ie. attend pay your voluntary dues but dont interfere.

This is very true. I went to Khoja mosques in UK, and there would be Pakistanis and other non-Khojas who would attend, but I got the feeling the Khojas didn't want any non-Khoja involved in administration of the centre and handling the funds and everything.

Some other flaws about Khojas, as a Khoja myself, I am reporting on my own experiences from back in Tanzania;

(1) Khojas and Gossip are like inseparable. We just love it. If some khoja sees you somewhere, the next day the whole town will know about it, the whole town its mother, father and ancestors too. If you get married, got divorced, had a kid, got robbed, you won’t need to tell nobody, they’ll know before even you know what’s happening to you. If other non-family member Khojas lived at your house, I’m sure the town would know when you use the toilet everyday. Mind you the city I grew up in Dar-es-Salaam has around a community of 12-15000 Khojas, but literally every one knows each other.

(2) We love food too much- This may seem like its not a huge deal but picture yourself on Ashura, after everything is over and Tabaruk is being served, Khojas will be impatient to get the first serving. Often all this haste will lead to someone toppling something, or spilling excessive amounts of food on the mat. Occasionally, you might hear someone call someone a very offensive name (think enemies of Ahlulbayt) if they delay their food. 

(3) Our obsession with money- We have very expensive weddings, and we toss in unnecessary functions into the wedding which are really more in line with the hindu tradition of our forefathers. Everyone gives each other unnecessary gifts, everyone needs new clothes for each wedding, the obsession with jewellery, the list goes on. That said, we are known to be generous when donating toward imambarghas, mosques, shrines, charity for various causes.

(4) Drama- We turn every little matter into a drama contest. During Ramadan, in Tanzania, we used to have sports competitions, and I never played any team sports, because people would get so worked up about mistakes you’d make, I would just avoid them all together. I played tennis, pool and other individual stuff. Once they even bribed referees to let their team win, against another team of Khojas at a freaking sports festival, which was worth nothing really, but yeah, we make mountains out of molehills.

(5) Nicknames- We seem to have an obsession with calling people by their last names and sometimes, by nicknames that have to do with nothing really. 

(6) Cowards- Man we pretend we’re all brave when it comes to fist fights and drama, but we are such cowards. When I was in Ziyarat in Iraq, we were outside a shrine and firecrackers went off, people started thinking crap this is ISIS, and they thought we need to run. I’ll admit I got scared too, it was at that point I realised my faith needed a lot of work.

That said despite all our flaws, I am glad to be Khoja. We got some problems, but we’re extremely warm, welcoming, if you visit a Khoja home, we’ll make sure to feed you well, make you drinks loads and loads of chai/tea (which we make with evaporated milk usually), and we’ll invite you to play carom with us, and we’ll easily beat you, because that’s one semi-sport we can claim authority over. We’re far too unfit and lazy to have a real go at real sports, too much oil in everything we eat, and like I mentioned we love food way too much.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Mohamed1993 said:

 

(3) Our obsession with money- We have very expensive weddings, and we toss in unnecessary functions into the wedding which are really more in line with the hindu tradition of our forefathers. Everyone gives each other unnecessary gifts, everyone needs new clothes for each wedding, the obsession with jewellery, the list goes on. That said, we are known to be generous when donating toward imambarghas, mosques, shrines, charity for various causes.

 

(6) Cowards- Man we pretend we’re all brave when it comes to fist fights and drama, but we are such cowards. When I was in Ziyarat in Iraq, we were outside a shrine and firecrackers went off, people started thinking crap this is ISIS, and they thought we need to run. I’ll admit I got scared too, it was at that point I realised my faith needed a lot of work.

 

Couple of points that made me laugh when I read them. i will only pick out 2.

The Khoja weddings I have been to have been very simple functions under the guidance of Mullah Asghar who insisted on its simplicity due to the wild extravagant spending on weddings.

I once asked a very close Khoja friend in jest why they didnt do 'Zanjeer' and he remarked laughing because we are 'cowards' we don't like pain. He was of course joking, however if you look at the history of the Khoja Ithna Asheria you will see a lot of bravery faith and fortitude.

When your ancestors became Shia Ithna Asheria they were excommunicated from the Ismaili Jamaat.

That was not just a social boycott by Ismaili. This was a religious,business social, family boycott. To the extent no Ismaili could attend a Khoja Ithna Asherias Janaza total boycott.

It split families forever and caused massive financial hardship.

I know you were jesting about cowardice but the sacrifices of your elders should be recognised  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, A true Sunni said:

The Khoja weddings I have been to have been very simple functions under the guidance of Mullah Asghar who insisted on its simplicity due to the wild extravagant spending on weddings.

 

That's good, man the khoja weddings back home are ridiculous, they last an entire week and we have random functions like the groom being given gifts and being made to drink milk and we turn that into an entire function on its own, so boring and unnecessary.

2 hours ago, A true Sunni said:

I know you were jesting about cowardice but the sacrifices of your elders should be recognised  

Yeah I acknowledge this, and I didn't grow up in the west, but a lot of khojas did and their parents made enormous sacrifices to manage to get a centre, to organise majalis, to get lecturers to come. In fact some of them used to go slaughter halal meat themselves because at one point in some cities, there was nowhere you could find it. So of course, those sacrifices should be recognized. I just wonder how useful we'll be on a battle field. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, A true Sunni said:

I have never heard of any Khoja Imambargah asking Shias to not return. Khojas tend to ask you not to interfere in the smooth running of the Imambargah ie. attend pay your voluntary dues but dont interfere.

Many people get upset at the strict administration of Khoja institutions and become anti-Khoja. Dont fall into that trap we all could learn from them

Hey, I am telling what is a very well know fact here.

All the community here visit the same centers - this one for thursdays, that one for Jumuah, that one for Eid... - and when it comes to that particular place, everyone knows that's a no-no.

I tended to be doubtful about this but when I heard it from several  people unrelated to one another, I started to think that could be right. Later I saw a few videos about events done there, I saw litterally only people who looked south asian, unlike all other places which are very mixed here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, realizm said:

Hey, I am telling what is a very well know fact here.

All the community here visit the same centers - this one for thursdays, that one for Jumuah, that one for Eid... - and when it comes to that particular place, everyone knows that's a no-no.

I tended to be doubtful about this but when I heard it from several  people unrelated to one another, I started to think that could be right. Later I saw a few videos about events done there, I saw litterally only people who looked south asian, unlike all other places which are very mixed here. 

Which country are you talking about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assalam-O-Allaiykum,

Well some Khojas members have already elaborated on their ethnicity and roots so I dont think anything more required to add to that.

Just for information I would like to add that the founder of Pakistan Muhammad Ali Jinnah was a Shia Muslim from the Khoja community. Given the titles "Quaid-e-Azam" meaing "The Great Leader" and "Baba e Qoum" meaning "Father of the Nation".

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recent Posts on ShiaChat!

    • https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=10&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjKjJuLttTXAhXNI1AKHbmwCnkQFghbMAk&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.slideshare.net%2Fhuseinmhanna%2Fthe-structure-of-the-universe&usg=AOvVaw1u9CB07-W2u5JxwR-e2HWP http://qfatima.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/tawheed.pdf
    • Feminists typically use terms like "male-dominated culture" so I just wanted to ask if you are a feminist. Also patriarchy is not inherently bad. No matter how you look at it Islam promotes a form of a patriarchal society. So just so you know. However I am not defending the patriarchy of Desi culture. Which is what we are talking about. I am advocating the patriarchy of an Ideal Shia Islamic social society (Yes these have existed historically to various extents).    Also I have seen housewives who can cook a mean paratta and clean well and still they are degraded by not only other women but by men, who tend to gravitate towards free-loving women. They are not appreciated by men as well. I am talking of the West, so I will let others respond on how accurate your statements are about the east. Something tells me you are still projecting and exaggerating.    Again, when you use the word "men" you are referring to a specific type of men. So don't generalize like the OP did. Also modesty is also a concern as well. I have seen this and I can give anecdotes as well to prove this. But let us not play the anecdote game. You would be surprised what western Muslim women, especially in college, get up to. So let us not pretend Muslim women are angels. Remember, for every Muslims man who fornicates there is often times another Muslim woman willing to do it with them. So don't think it is a "guy" issue, it is also a gal issue as well. Also there may be more reasons than the ones you and I listed too as to why an eastern man wants to marry a western woman, but it has everything to do with the guy trying to "make-up" for his guilty conscious and it may manifest in ways such as he thinking he can make it up by having his wife cook and clean (in a weird and twisted way, after all humans are psychologically complex creatures). But your cynical explanation makes it sound is as if Muslimah are dainty little flowers who earn money through a job and when they get married their hubby goes all Hollywood mustache twirling villain on them, or goes Ape on them out of nowhere. This is an incredibly naive and biased analysis and only ends up creating more questions rather than answering them.     Also you just answered your question. Replace men with "cultural Desi men". But you saying "men" is generalizing and I can also name "hundreds of examples" that run counter to yours. As can anyone here. No one here is defending Desi (primarily hindu influenced culture). But you seem to think we are.   On a tangential note Muslims nowadays are willing to blame Islam rather than Hindus for the defiencies that are present in Desi culture. Despite the fact that most of the deleterious behaviors of Desi culture had its origins in ancient Hindu culture that ancient Muslims picked up on. "Purdah" is a famous example of something that quite likely originated amongst  and was widely propagated  by Hindu culture and that Muslims adopted as well but tend to confuse with Islam in incorrect ways (the state of the prophets wives was not the same of a random Muslim woman back then and now,  most scholars agree on this).    Also you went on a tangent about working and being modest. Read my first post on the topic to know that Muslim women ALWAYS worked for 1400+ years in some job or another but had time for their family and household responsibilities. Even Umar Ibn al Khattab of all people hired a woman as "head of market operations ".  And above all else these Muslim women only thought of their job as a job and never let their job or income define them. I don't care if you earn money or not. You are not special or free or liberated or any other adjective you can name. And historically Muslim women used to be doctors way back even in the 1000s but never used to let their career define them. Except that they heal people. But modern day feminism does define a womans worth by her income and somehow she is "not tame" because she earns money. That is laughable. Sister "notme" did a good job of explaining the problem with people like you and your motivations to work. 
    • Sermon 1: Praise is due to Allah whose worth cannot be described…. In this sermon he recalls the creation of Earth and Sky and the creation of Adam and in it he mentions the Hajj Praise is due to Allah whose worth cannot be described by speakers, whose bounties cannot be counted by calculators and whose claim (to obedience) cannot be satisfied by those who attempt to do so, whom the height of intellectual courage cannot appreciate, and the divings of understanding cannot reach; He for whose description no limit has been laid down, no eulogy exists, no time is ordained and no duration is fixed. He brought forth creation through His Omnipotence, dispersed winds through His Compassion, and made firm the shaking earth with rocks. https://www.al-islam.org/nahjul-balagha-part-1-sermons/sermon-1-praise-due-Allah-whose-worth-cannot-be-described#creation-universe
    • https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/encyclopedia/content.aspx?ContentTypeID=90&ContentID=P02630 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primitive_reflexes http://islamic-laws.com/eatinghabbit.htm According to the Holy Prophet (s.a.w.a.), inviting relatives, friends and neighbours for a dinner (Valeema) is sunnat on five occasions - Marriage, Aqiqa (first shaving of the child's head), Khatna (circumcision), when one has bought a new house or made a new house and lastly, when a visitor returns from travel. For Vegeterians Unless they choose a proper balance of foods, strict vegetarians are at risk for several deficiencies, especially vitamin B12. The other nutrients at risk are riboflavin, calcium, iron, and the essential amino acids lysine and methionine. Vegetarian children not exposed to sunlight are at risk for vitamin D deficiency. Zinc deficiency can occur in vegans because the phytic acid in whole grains binds zinc, and there is little zinc in fruits and vegetables. Since B12 is present only in animal foods and a limited number of specially fortified foods, vegans should probably take B12 supplements prescribed by a physician. Further, the symptoms of vegetarianism may include protein deficiency, amino acid and mineral depletion coupled with chronic low levels of energy. Another tradition describes green kasni leaves as a very good vegetable. Not a single leaf of kasni is devoid of a drop of water of heaven and therefore when one eats one should not shake it. It is also stated that kasni leaves (endive) are superior to all vegetables in the same manner as Ahlul Bait (a.s.) are superior to all mankind. Kasni leaves when eaten cause birth of male children who are also beautiful. When a person was ill with fever and headache, the Imam (a.s.) asked kasni leaves to be beaten in pulp, spread on paper, and sprinkled with oil of banafsha and then applied on the forehead of that person as it will completely cure both the fever and the headache.   The effects of eating Behi (quince), as stated by Hazrat Ali (a.s.), are the following: a)      Strengthens weak heart b)      Causes increase in weight c)      Cleans the stomach d)      Increases reason e)      Makes a man courageous   According to Imam Ja'far-e-Sadiq (a.s.), eating Behi (quince) improves complexion and causes beautiful children. When a person complained to Imam Reza (a.s.) of having few children, he (a.s.) asked him to eat egg with onion.
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/22/israeli-bloggers-photograph-inside-one-islams-holiest-sites/ An Israeli blogger’s photograph from inside one of Islam’s holiest sites set off a firestorm in the Middle East also Saudi Arabia, Egypt, the United Arab Emirates and Bahrain added two organizations to their terror lists: the World Islamic Council and the International Union of Muslim Scholars. Eleven people were also added to the list, including two Muslim Brotherhood operatives. http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/category/nation/2017/11/23/organisation-of-which-hadi-awang-is-vp-declared-terrorist-body/  
×