Haydar Husayn

Members You Wish Would Come Back

Rate this topic

(bismillah)

(salam)

Over the years ShiaChat has had many intelligent, interesting, and funny posters. Unfortunately, many have left for various reasons. Either they got bored, became too busy, moved on, or were even banned (and didn't return). In some cases, perhaps we didn't agree with them on much, and they even infuriated us, but there was no doubting that they gave life to this site, and provided us with reasons to keep coming back here ourselves. While their previous posts survive, unfortunately we no longer have the pleasure of their company. Arguably one of the reasons some people don't find ShiaChat as interesting anymore is because of the loss of some of these characters.

I thought it would interesting to get an idea of some of the posters we miss the most, by asking for nominations, which could then perhaps be turned into poll. Please try to provide reasons for why you have nominated a particular poster. You never know, some of those posters may still browse the site, and may decide to pay us the occasional visit due to this thread. In some cases, you might have also assumed someone had left the site, when in fact they had simply changed their name.

TheIslamHistory, (an absolute treasure trove of knowledge about Hadith and Ahl Al Bayt. Very clear and concise in his writing)

MFAHH (cause he's a charater, lol)

Tim Westwood(I know he was banned but he was really funny),

Path2Felicity, (amoung the sisters, one of the most knowledgeable and best moderators we ever had)

Ali Imran(cause he's Ali Imran, nuf said).

There are others, but there are some former members here that I see in person but are no longer on SC. 

Off the top of my head...probably I will think of more in a few minutes. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

Sami, monad, a sister whos username I cant remember off the top of my head >. <, Grief, and a bro named ali whos username I cant remember also... oh and A3lii, not sure if hes around anymore...

There have been some members who were completely insane, but a lot of fun to read the discussions where people take them seriously. But since I'm a site moderator I'd better not name anyone who has been banned.

Who here remembers Syedmed? Anyone? He is one of the nicest, most helpful people who ever came here. And Hajar. And lilacfatima. And many more whose names I don't remember.

Even though I'm a moderator, I'm going to say that I do miss certain members who got banned and/or mod previewed to death. Members such as alimohamad40, ImAli, and Bhooka_Bhairiya. Obviously in terms of moderating, there would have been issues with these members, but I don't think anyone could say that they didn't bring life to the site. I didn't always agree with them, to put it mildly, but that is part of the fun of this place, to encounter people of different view points, even if you find those points of view infuriating. However, we must all recognise that there are limits, and no matter how much someone has contributed to ShiaChat, and how much of a 'character' they are, you can't keep breaking the rules, and expect to get away with it. Having said that, I personally think it would be great if they came back, with hopefully a slightly more mature attitude.

I think the site also missed some of the more knowledgeable female members like the ones brother StrugglingForTheLight mentioned above. Sister phoenix would be another one who came to mind in that category.

Brother kadhim would be another quality member who has contributed a lot to this site who I miss. Again, I didn't always agree with him (although I found his later positions easier to identify with that some of his earlier ones), but he was a great poster, who made things interesting.

In addition to some that have been mentioned above (Jebreil, Path2felicity, kadhim, phoenix...) -

Abbas - v knowledgeable, especially on shia/sunni issues (even though I dont really care about shia/sunni debate these days)

fyst - very analytical mind, really enjoyed his posts in the Atheism forum, also had good sense of humour

Sadrastudent - very knowledge on Islamic Philosophy

Edited by .InshAllah.

(salam)

Going to go really old-school here:

Zain, Whizbee, Spizo, fyst, HRPeer, Thamina [unregistered], Hasnain, hmMmNida_e_Zahra, Bismillah, karateka, sweeter than salsabeel [unregistered], Blessing, Blessedflwer [unregistered], ansoo, Ya Aba 3abdillah, Shireen [unregistered], QT-Maram [unregistered], Wise Muslim, SayedM'sSister [unregistered], Nida_e_Zahra, Baatil Ka Kaatil, Friend of AlllilacfatimaSerenity`jlainqatarHajar, SyedMed, poiuytZuljenah, Simba [aka s4ever], strawberry, Batool, A Follower, Bollywood_Hero, fadak_166, Basim Ali, Cyan_Garamond, Maula Dha Mallang, sarmad [aka al-mufeed], So Solid Shia [and his dozen usernames], Aliya. There was one super crazy guy called the Anti-Mason [who had dozens upon dozen usernames] not sure who on the forum today would remember him - though I don't want him back because he was pretty disturbing. Rawshni [even though I had to end up banning her for reasons undisclosed].

I am probably missing some other names as well, and some members I have in my mind, but can't remember the spellings of their usernames [some individuals who would be active in the politics forum and elsewhere]. Other than that, these are the names that came to my mind on first thought.

Wassalam

Edited by Ibn al-Hussain

ImAli

I must disagree; little good comes from some of them.

Her ban was long overdue for constantly defaming other sisters on this site. I am disappointed at some of the moderators who knew about this and didn't do anything about it. This is before you became a moderator.

The member I would like to return is fyst. He was genuinely intelligent.

Edited by Muhammed Ali

I must disagree; little good comes from some of them.

Her ban was long overdue for constantly defaming other sisters on this site. I am disappointed at some of the moderators who knew about this and didn't do anything about it. This is before you became a moderator.

Yes, I know, and I agree that she deserved to be banned. But that doesn't doesn't mean that there weren't some positive aspects to having her around, in terms of the forum activity. So had she been capable of controlling herself better, then I think she could have been a valuable member. When she first came to this site, she didn't seem to be misbehaving much (even though I was always disagreeing with her), and then at a certain point she appeared to have changed, and became very bitter and negative (that was my impression anyway).

Yes, I know, and I agree that she deserved to be banned. But that doesn't doesn't mean that there weren't some positive aspects to having her around, in terms of the forum activity. So had she been capable of controlling herself better, then I think she could have been a valuable member. When she first came to this site, she didn't seem to be misbehaving much (even though I was always disagreeing with her), and then at a certain point she appeared to have changed, and became very bitter and negative (that was my impression anyway).

You mentioned two other banned members. I can appreciate that they challenged people intellectually and made them question things. One of the most ill mannered members was Anti Mason (I would never allow him back), but I liked how he made us think about things. However I personally did not see this same trait in some other members who just spread poison all the time without bringing anything significantly intellectual. They may have increased forum activity by provoking people into arguments.

Some people do change for the better bro. 

Of course my comment wasn't unconditional. We should be willing to forgive people. If he genuinely changed then I wouldn't stop him from returning.

He however seemed to be extreme in his behaviour. Some of these trolls do have psychological problems: https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/your-online-secrets/201409/internet-trolls-are-narcissists-psychopaths-and-sadists

Not long ago I came across his Facebook account and saw that his behaviour was still troubling.

Edited by Muhammed Ali

Well perhaps if some existing members would just post more often there would be more fun for everyone. Its just like the chatroom where I see this phenomenon that if a couple of active chat participant stop then the room falls silent and people leave, or if you don't see your friends in it you do not enter while your friends may be waiting to see you, and the chatroom ends up vacant. In other words, you need to communicate in order to have communications.