Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
guest050817

Why I Will No Longer Recite The 3Rd Shahadah

Rate this topic

106 posts in this topic

In the name of Allah, the most beneficent, the most merciful.

*IN THE ADHAN

The third Shahadah is something you  will find never missed out in almost every single Adhan, so much so it is pretty much part of the Adhan. However, to examine the origins of the third Shahadah - and this may come as a shock to many- we need to look at our most eminent scholars who lived very close to the time of the Imams a.s, who would have been exposed to bidahs and deviance's.

Now, some individuals are going to say: "It is not part of the adhan , we recite it for the intention of seeking nearness to Allah swt".

Before i go on, let me add, i believe in wilayah, i believe in the twelve chosen imams of the ahlulbayt a.s, the preservers of the sunnah of Muhammed pbuh, and Ali a.s is the rightful successor of Muhammed pbuh as ordained by Allah swt. And therefore i want to copy what the Imams a.s did without adding innovations.

Holy Quran:

"And when it is said to them, "Follow what Allah has revealed," they say, "Rather, we will follow that which we found our fathers doing." Even though their fathers understood nothing, nor were they guided?"

However, such a view is flawed on the following premises:

1. Why did our Imams a.s, nor their companions, nor our classical scholars ever adhere to this view, or ever were informed of the added benefit of reciting it ?

2. Why did our Imams a.s not add it with the intention it is not part of the adhan, and its to seek nearness to Allah swt?

3. The fact is the 3rd shahdah being added into the Adhan came from the ghulaat who were upon ghuluw - without a doubt we can give great historical weight to this statement, and it is even testified by our classical scholars.

4. So that begs the question, why are we still doing it?

Chances are, if you lived among the great shia scholars in the past, you would have never added this in the Adhan and they would have forbidden it. 

You may be shocked at reading the following:

Allaamah Hillee(The man who wrote works on Shiism, and Ibn Taymiyyah wrote his famous refutation Minhaaj as sunnah) One of our great classical scholars (d. 726 AH) has said about the 3rd testimony in the Adhaan and Iqaamah:

و لا يجوز قول «إن عليا ولي اللَّه» و «آل محمد خير البرية» في فصول الآذان، لعدم مشروعيته
 "And it is NOT permissible to say إن عليا ولي اللَّه and آل محمد خير البرية since there is no ruling for it in the sharee'ah"
Source:
1. 'Allaamah Hilli, Nihaayah Al-aHkaam fee ma'rifah al-aHkaam, vol. 1, pg. 412

ere is what Al-Toosi (one of our great reported scholars) (d. 460 AH) had to say about the 3rd testimony in the adhaan.

و أمّا ما روي في شواذّ الأخبار من قول: «أشهد انّ عليا وليّ اللّه و آل محمّد خير البريّة» فممّا لا يعمل عليه في الأذان و الإقامة. فمن عمل بها كان مخطئا
Translation: "The are some odd (shaadh) reports of saying أشهد انّ عليا وليّ اللّه and آل محمّد خير البريّةYou must NOT do it in the Adhaan and Iqaamah. And whoever does this action is in mukhTi (error)"
Source:
1. Al-Toosi, Al-Nihaayah fee Mujarrad Al-Fiqh wa Al-Fataawaa, pg. 69

Sheikh Al Sadooq is one of our great scholars! He lived not too long after the major occultation, and infact, living so close to the time of the Imams a.s relative to the others means he had the ability to see historically events, when they originated and so on. He testifies that the addition of the third Shahadah in Adhan has come from a form of Ghullah, and that may Allah swt curse them!

Here is what Al-Sadooq (d. 381 AH) has said concerning the 3rd testimony. Here are his actual words.

هَذَا هُوَ الْأَذَانُ الصَّحِيحُ لَا يُزَادُ فِيهِ وَ لَا يُنْقَصُ مِنْهُ وَ الْمُفَوِّضَةُ لَعَنَهُمُ اللَّهُ قَدْ وَضَعُوا أَخْبَاراً وَ زَادُوا فِي الْأَذَانِ مُحَمَّدٌ وَ آلُ مُحَمَّدٍ خَيْرُ الْبَرِيَّةِ مَرَّتَيْنِ وَ فِي بَعْضِ رِوَايَاتِهِمْ بَعْدَ أَشْهَدُ أَنَّ مُحَمَّداً رَسُولُ اللَّهِ أَشْهَدُ أَنَّ عَلِيّاً وَلِيُّ اللَّهِ مَرَّتَيْنِ وَ مِنْهُمْ مَنْ رَوَى بَدَلَ ذَلِكَ أَشْهَدُ أَنَّ عَلِيّاً أَمِيرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ حَقّاً مَرَّتَيْنِ وَ لَا شَكَّ فِي أَنَّ عَلِيّاً وَلِيُّ اللَّهِ وَ أَنَّهُ أَمِيرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ حَقّاً وَ أَنَّ مُحَمَّداً وَ آلَهُ صَلَوَاتُ اللَّهِ عَلَيْهِمْ خَيْرُ الْبَرِيَّةِ وَ لَكِنْ لَيْسَ ذَلِكَ فِي أَصْلِ الْأَذَانِ وَ إِنَّمَا ذَكَرْتُ ذَلِكَ لِيُعْرَفَ بِهَذِهِ الزِّيَادَةِ الْمُتَّهَمُونَ بِالتَّفْوِيضِ الْمُدَلِّسُونَ أَنْفُسَهُمْ فِي جُمْلَتِنَا
Translation: "This is the Authentic / Correct (SaHeeH) adhaan; nothing is to be added or subtracted from it. The mufawwidah's (form of ghullah), may Allaah curse them, have fabricated traditions and have added to the adhaan مُحَمَّدٌ وَ آلُ مُحَمَّدٍ خَيْرُ الْبَرِيَّةِ (Muhammad and the family of Muhammad are the best of mankind) twice. In some of their traditions, after saying أَشْهَدُ أَنَّ مُحَمَّداً رَسُولُ اللَّهِ (I bear witness that Muhammad is the Prophet of Allaah) (they add) أَشْهَدُ أَنَّ عَلِيّاً وَلِيُّ اللَّهِ (I bear witness that 'Alee is the Walee of Allaah) twice. Among them there are others who narrate this أَشْهَدُ أَنَّ عَلِيّاً أَمِيرُ الْمُؤْمِنِينَ (I bear witness that 'Alee is the commander of the faithfull) twice. There is NO doubt that 'Alee is the walee of God and that he is the true commander of the faithful and that Muhammad and his family, peace be upon them, are the best of creatures. However, that is not [part] of the original adhaan. I have mentioned this so that those who have been accused of concocting tafweed and have insulated themselves in our ranks should be known."
Source:
1. Al-Sadooq, Man Laa YaHduruh Al-Faqeeh, vol. 1, pg. 290 - 291

Credit to Nader Zaveri, a man accused of attacking shi'ism but himself is perhaps the biggest advocate for pure shi'ism:http://www.revivingalislam.com/2010/06/3rd-testimony-in-adhaan-and-iqaamah.html

An Ayatullah who is among the ranks of a marajah himself giving the following Fatawah(Modern day Fatwa's)

Grand Ayatullah Sheikh Muhammed Hussain Najafi

Grand Ayatollah Allama Shaikh Muhammad Hussain Najafi (Arabic/Persian/Urdu/Punjabi: آية الله العظمی علامہ الشیخ محمد حسین النجفي) (born April 1932) is a Twelver Shi'i alim from Pakistan and has been elevated to the status ofmarjiyyat. At present, there are two maraji of Pakistani descent, the other one Basheer Hussain Najafi. As Basheer Hussain Najafi has chosen to reside in NajafIraq, Muhammad Hussain Najafi is the only marja' on Pakistani soil, running a Hawza in Sargodha.[1] He was included in the lists "The 500 Most Influential Muslims" for the years 2010 and 2011

Question # 1: Why is it not permitted by you to say "Ali-un-Waliullah" in azan

If we don’t say this, what is the difference between us and the others? Answer: It is established through all Shia books of HadithFiqh, etc. that the azaan which was made a creed by Allah, which Allah then revealed through Jibrail  (as) to the Holy Prophet (SAWAW), which the Prophet (SAWAW) first taught to Hazrat Ali  (as), which Hazrat Ali  (as) then taught to Hazrat Bilal  (ra) and he continued to pronounce it until the demise of the Holy Prophet (SAWAW), that azaan consisted of 18 sentences i.e. this sentence was not included in it. 
It was the azaan which the Imams of Ahl-e-Bait  (as), starting from Hazrat Imam Ali  (as) until the Ghaibat-e-Kubra of Hazrat Imam Mahdi  (as), used to pronounce and let others pronounce. Therefore, we also pronounce the same azaan.
As far as difference with others is concerned, the difference of "Hayya ala khair-il-amal" is enough. For us it is an integral part of azaan, while the Sunni brothers have excluded it from azaan.

http://www.sibtain.com/en/Questions_Answers_Azan.aspx

I will look at what Grand Ayatullah Fadllulah r.a said too and post it inshAllah

Edited by Tawheed313
Abu Nasr and Musa Sadr like this

According to the most of the maraja ,if not all , reciting اشهدا علی ولی الله  in Athan with a mostahab intention is not only forbidden but also it has sawab (reward ) .

If you don't want to recite it anymore ,it's up to you .

Edited by kamyar

According to the most of the maraja ,if not all , reciting اشهدا علی ولی الله  in Athan with a mostahab intention is not only forbidden but also it has sawab (reward ) .

If you don't want to recite it anymore ,its up to you .

Dear brother,

We need to take a step back and analyse the facts.

1.Our imams a.s never recited it with the intention it was never part of the adhan and to seek thawab.

2.Our classical scholars forbade anyone to recite it in the adhan

3. Our classical scholars themselves testified that the first group to be reciting it in the adhan were the ghulaat.

4. No Sahaba of our Imams a.s is reported to have added it with the niyah of thawab and it is not part of the adhan

We have modern day marajah taking this view too, though in the minority. 

So why do we, hundreds if not over a thousand years later, decide we know better?

Why in essence, are we doing something started by the ghulaat, upon whom Allah swt's curse may be on.

Edited by Tawheed313
Musa Sadr likes this

Dear brother,

We need to take a step back and analyse the facts.

1.Our imams a.s never recited it with the intention it was never part of the adhan and to seek thawab.

2.Our classical scholars forbade anyone to recite it in the adhan

3. Our classical scholars themselves testified that the first group to be reciting it in the adhan were the ghulaat.

4. No Sahaba of our Imams a.s is reported to have added it with the niyah of thawab and it is not part of the adhan

We have modern day marajah taking this view too, though in the minority. 

So why do we, hundreds if not over a thousand years later, decide we know better?

Why in essence, are we doing something started by the ghulaat, upon whom Allah swt's curse may be on.

Since I don't have time to read all the books of Islam and what the classical scholars say ,I prefer follow one whom I can trust and he is my marja .

Again ,You are making the issues hard brother .

I am asking you a question :

Should I follow my marja in Fiqh or you ?

My dear brother, Tawheed, the criteria of Sheikh Sadugh regarding ghullah were wrong.

Sahih does not mean necessary correct and weak does not mean necessary incorrect.

This issue is not important enough that we fight over it !

There is a book to prove that saying the third shahadah is allowed. Anyhow everyone is allowed to do whatever he thinks it is true.

الشهادة الثالثة

http://ar.lib.eshia.ir/26530/1/10/%D8%A7%D9%84%D8%B4%D9%87%D8%A7%D8%AF%D8%A9

haideriam likes this

This particular issue is actually a non-issue as far as I can be certain of it. The ruling is not that silasa is compulsory in adhaan, rather the common ruling says that it should be said in iqamah if not in the adhaan.

These are all trivial issues anyway. We as a nation have devolved into a money worshiping hedonistic people. We're truly garbage as the hadith says regarding us the people of end times. And all the mullahs are concentrating on preaching about special care for trivialities, too concerned about their popularity and reputes and therefore too weak to boldly speak the bitter truths in front of people, the simple truths, which almost all human beings will always dislike.

Edited by Darth Vader

I agree with brother Taweed. If we consider ourselves followers of Ali and the Imams (as) then we should act like they did. If neither Ali nor the Imams recited the third shahada then I say we shouldn't either.

Two people will perish on account of Ali. His enemies and his extreme lovers. The median way is always the right way.

Those who say they will follow their marja regarding this, they can do as they please but considering that Alamah Hilli, Sheikh Sadooqh and al-Tusi are far greater scholars than any of the current marjahs, I choose to follow their verdict bearing in mind that whether to recite the shahada or not isn't time-dependent. It's an almost eternal verdict.

And to those who say it's not a big issue I say it's a big issue. It's about fighting bidahs.

Edited by Abu Nasr

And to those who say it's not a big issue I say it's a big issue. It's about fighting bidahs.

How high up the priority list are we talking about?

Testimony to Ali’s (a.s) wilayah in Adhan

As the final discussion of this chapter, I quote the research-based statements of Allamah Sharaf Al-Din, in Al-Nass wa’l-Ijtihad, to illuminate the issue of the testimony to Ali’s (a.s) Wilayah in Adhan:

Adhan includes eighteen phrases, in our view as followers of Imamiyyah; Allahu Akbar (Allah is great) four times; Ashhadu An La Ilaha Illa Allah (I testify that there is no deity but Allah) twice; Ashhadu Anna Muhammadan Rasoul Allah (I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of Allah) twice; Hayya Ala al-Salat (Hurry to prayer) twice; Hayya Ala al-Falah (Hurry to salvation) twice; Hayya Ala Khayr al-Amal (Hurry to the best of deed) twice; Allahu Akbar (Allah is great) twice; La Ilaha Illa Allah (There is no deity but Allah) twice.”

iqamah is composed of seventeen phrases which are the same as Adhan’s, each repeated twice, except La Ilaha Illa Allah (There is no deity but Allah) which is said once; and between Hayya Ala Khayr al-Amal (Hurry to the best of deed) and Allahu Akbar (Allah is great), there are two times of Qad Qaamat al-Salat (Surely prayer was established).

Tribute to Muhammad and his Household (saying “اللهم صلِّ على مُحَمَّد وآل مُحَمَّد” Allahumma Salli Ala Muhammad(in) wa Aali Muhammad) after mentioning the name of the Prophet (a.s) is recommended as is completing the testimonies by the testimony to the Wilayah and Imamate of Ali (a.s), in both Adhan and iqamah.

Whoever has denied the testimony to Ali’s Wilayah in Adhan, regarding it as heresy, has made mistake and has as uncommon belief. The caller to Adhan in Islam [usually added phrases to the beginning and the end ofAdhan—phrases that are not derived from the religion, but still they are not heresy and adding them is not forbidden. The reason is that the callers to Adhan do not consider these phrases as parts of Adhan, and include them just due to the general arguments.81 The testimony to Ali’s Wilayah is subject to these general arguments. Moreover, short phrases from the people themselves do not nullify Adhan and iqamah.82 To say these during Adhan and iqamah is therefore not forbidden…”83

Consequently, since naming Ali (a.s) is as worship, there is no doubt about the preference of mentioning his name in general and in Adhan, in particular. As Muttaqi Hindi narrates in Kanz Al-Ummal:

Mentioning Ali’s name is as worship.84

ذِكْرُعلی عِبادَةٌ.

• 81.‘General arguments are religious reasons stating a general rule with no special instance, just as true traditions consider mentioning the name of Ali (a.s) in adhan as recommended. Such general arguments are valid until there are no other certain reasons to exclude adhan from these rules. Hence, bringing Ali’s name in adhan is recommended too. (Editor)
  • 82.Sunni master scholars have consensus that additional words during adhan are lawful and do not distort adhan. As is mentioned in Fat’h Al-Bari, “Permission of including words in adhan is obtained from Bukhari’s statements. Ibn Mundhir narrates the permission of including words in adhan from Urwa, Ata’, Hasan, Qutada, and Ahmad. Nakha’i and Awza’i agree about this permission, though consider it as undesirable. Ibn Hanifa, Malik and Shafi’i allow it too, but consider the omission of it more desirable. The only person forbidding the inclusion of words in adhan is Thawri. See: Fat’h Al-Bari, Abwab Al-Adhan, Bab Al-Kalam fi Al-Adhan, p. 80 (Editor).
  • 83.Allamah Sharaf Al-Din, Al-Nass wa Al-Ijtihad, p. 207 & 208.
  • 84.Vol. 11, p. 601, No. 32894; Jami’ Al-Saghir, No. 4332; “Ibn Asakir” has narrated this tradition in “Tarikh Madina Dimashq” (The history of Damascus) with valid documents (Vol. 42, p. 356).
  •  

Beside them all there are many Hadithes and narrations which allow reciting اشهدان علی ولی الله and regard it as a hasanah .

Edited by kamyar
maes likes this

How high up the priority list are we talking about?

It's not really on top of the list but it's not trivial either.

I agree with brother Taweed. If we consider ourselves followers of Ali and the Imams (as) then we should act like they did. If neither Ali nor the Imams recited the third shahada then I say we shouldn't either.

Two people will perish on account of Ali. His enemies and his extreme lovers. The median way is always the right way.

Those who say they will follow their marja regarding this, they can do as they please but considering that Alamah Hilli, Sheikh Sadooqh and al-Tusi are far greater scholars than any of the current marjahs, I choose to follow their verdict bearing in mind that whether to recite the shahada or not isn't time-dependent. It's an almost eternal verdict.

You can't consider yourself as follower of  Imam Ali and the Imams when you stated before you follow some of the sunnis beliefs .

If neither Ali nor the Imams recited the third shahada then I say we shouldn't either.

But they didn't reject it .

^ Yes. I follow some of the Sunnis beliefs because some of the Sunnis beliefs that contradict the Shia beliefs happen to be the real beliefs of Ali and the Imams.

And you have no right to tell me whether I follow Ali or not. God, his Prophet and Ali know better than you whether I'm on the right path or not.

But one thing's for sure. I do not have any zeal for Ali. Ali to me is a man not some god that I build the tenets of my religion upon him and that's exactly what's so great about him. He is the very self of the prophet and his brother. He is someone to look up to not someone to make a sect in his name.

Let me say this to all those who consider themselves Shias of Ali. How can you be his Shias when zeal has filled your hearths instead of the love for Ali? Kill the zeal in you if you want God and the awliya to be pleased with you.

Edited by Abu Nasr

^ As far as I know Sunnis follow Caliphs not Shia Imams .

But they didn't reject it .

I rather try to live my life the exact way the Imams did. They not rejecting it only means it's permissible not Mustahab as you previously claimed. If it were Mustahab then the Imams, who are far better men than us would have preceded us in practicing it. Or are we the Imams now (nauzubillah) and the Imams should follow us instead?

^ As far as I know Sunnis follow Caliphs not Shia Imams .

Sunnis follow the Sunnah hence the name Sunni. But just like with Shiaism, fabrications and innovations have found their way into Sunnism.

I rather try to live my life the exact way the Imams did. They not rejecting it only means it's permissible not Mustahab as you previously claimed. If it were Mustahab then the Imams, who are far better men than us would have preceded us in practicing it. Or are we the Imams now (nauzubillah) and the Imams should follow us instead?

When Ali zekr is worshiping ( According to both Shia and Sunni sources ) then reciting اشهدان علی ولی الله  is Mostahab (hassanah) .It is very simple brother .Beside that there are some ahadith which say reciting علی ولی الله is mostahab ,Insha'Allah I will provide and present them here .

Sunnis follow the Sunnah hence the name Sunni. But just like with Shiaism, fabrications and innovations have found their way into Sunnism.

Well ,No need to debate over the names dear brother .

Edited by kamyar

^ That's true but do you find it appropriate to mention Ali's name after reciting surah-al-hamd or when doing sujud during salat?

Mention Ali's deeds, personality and name as much as you like but this is really different.

Edited by Abu Nasr

^ I don't know the ruling about reciting Ali's name during Salat but reciting Ali's name during Athan with the intention that you know اشهدان علی ولی الله  is not part of Athan has no problem and it is a different issue .

One thing about the beda here , Beda means calling something as part of Islam which is not actually .You can recite the name of say Imam Mahdi 40 times after each  salah  but you are not allowed to call it an Islam recommended action after prayers .

no one asked your opinion. there are many momeen in the world who will proudly recite name of Ali(S) in adhaan and namaz, and if not more at least 313 will be there.

so dont bother.

Edited by Highflyer
maes and Sirius_Bright like this

no one asked your opinion. there are many momeen in the world who will proudly recite name of Ali(S) in adhaan and namaz, and if not more at least 313 will be there.

so dont bother.

Peace be with you,

There's an Ijmah with almost no exception that you can not add Ali a.s into the salah. Atleast there's an Ijmah in this issue. My understanding of Ijmah is a general consensus with no large minority objections.

Edited by Tawheed313

Infact, can anyone help me date when the third Shahdah went from being shunned by our scholars in Adhan, to being recited regularly? Was it Alama Majlisi who introduced it into our Adhan and made it a norm with the intention it was not part of the adhan?

(salam)

I mostly agree with Tawheed313. 

What he says makes a lot of sense. 

Why should we do things which our Imams  (as) didn't tell us to. 

That includes tatbir. 

(salam)

I mostly agree with Tawheed313. 

What he says makes a lot of sense. 

Why should we do things which our Imams  (as) didn't tell us to. 

That includes tatbir.

Walaikum salam,

Tatbir is another thing which must be eradicated from the school of ahlulbayt a.s at all costs. It is another infiltration that creeped up somewhere around the 1800's

Here's a video to watch:

peace seeker II, maes and Musa Sadr like this

Infact, can anyone help me date when the third Shahdah went from being shunned by our scholars in Adhan, to being recited regularly? Was it Alama Majlisi who introduced it into our Adhan and made it a norm with the intention it was not part of the adhan?

There is a narration witch says for the first time Abathar used اشهدان علی ولی الله in Athan and Prophet hailed this action and called it message of Ghadire khom .

1.أخرج أن رجلا دخل على رسول الله (صلى الله عليه واله وسلم) وقال : يا رسول الله إنّ أبا ذر يذكر في الأذان بعد الشهادة بالرسالة الشهادة بالولاية لعلى عليه السلام .

قال رسول اللّه‏(صلي الله عليه وآله وسلم ) كذلك ، أو نسيتم قولي في غدير خم : من كنت مولاه فعلي مولاه ) ؟ .

السلافة في أمر الخلافة، ص 32.

2.دخل رجل على رسول الله صلى الله عليه وآله وسلم ، فقال : يا رسول الله ! إني سمعت أمرا لم أسمع قبل ذلك ، فقال صلى الله عليه واله وسلم : ما هو ؟ قال : سلمان قد يشهد في أذانه بعد الشهادة بالرسالة ، الشهادة بالولاية لعلي (عليه السلام)  ، قال (صلي الله عليه وآله وسلم ): سمعت خيرا.

السلافة في أمر الخلافة، ص 32.

I do not know whether to laugh or cry at your post..

Seriously ,I am for cry .