Sign in to follow this  
Aftahb

Meraj Un Nabi Mobarak!

What does your marja say?

My Marjah, Sayyid Sistani says this: "Songs (al-ghinã’) are harãm absolutely. However, singing praise [of the Prophet or the Ahlul Bayt] that is sung with a good tune but is not in ghinã’ form is without problem.

As for the music, it would be allowed, if it is not suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings."

http://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01246/

So I guess qawwali music would be halal if it fit this criteria. Pardon me for asking, it's just I get confused over the differing opinion in music.

My Marjah, Sayyid Sistani says this: "Songs (al-ghinã’) are harãm absolutely. However, singing praise [of the Prophet or the Ahlul Bayt] that is sung with a good tune but is not in ghinã’ form is without problem.

As for the music, it would be allowed, if it is not suitable for entertainment and amusement gatherings."

http://www.sistani.org/english/qa/01246/

So I guess qawwali music would be halal if it fit this criteria. Pardon me for asking, it's just I get confused over the differing opinion in music.

But this type of music is done in gatherings, is it not?

Edited by al-Ibrahimi

Qawwali is a religious music associated with Sufis.
Welcome back, Aftahb. Meraj Un Nabi Mobarak.
This topic is moved to Research into Other Sects.

Most of the maraja agree that music is of two types, one is haram and the other is not. This is from Ayatullah Sistani HA:

Q168: What is the ruling on so-called music in present customary usage?
A: It is of two kinds. One of them suits the places of amusement and entertainment and thus listening to it is prohibited. The other one is other than this and therefore is not prohibited. (FM, p. 437)

Source: 

http://www.najaf.org/english/book/2/inside/53.htm

Qawwali is a religious music associated with Sufis.

Welcome back, Aftahb. Meraj Un Nabi Mobarak.

This topic is moved to Research into Other Sects.

Thanks Hameedeh!

mobarak to you aswell.

Please move it back in general discussion. These are just religious songs, and there is nothing here for research. thanks!

Thanks Hameedeh!

mobarak to you aswell.

Please move it back in general discussion. These are just religious songs, and there is nothing here for research. thanks!

I think the topic was moved because people might be researching about Sufis and their laws/acts of worship, I think.

I think the topic was moved because people might be researching about Sufis and their laws/acts of worship, I think.

this is like, you go to someones wedding to enjoy food and someone drags you into survey and teaching you customs. 

this post was only to bring religious entertainment to people. People who have no understanding of islam; shouldn't be looking into these things till they get the basics right. 

And did i ask you to share your opinion? This question was only directed towards Hameedeh. If you are not Hameedeh, you should not jump into this. We call this attitude, "bone in kabab."

Edited by Aftahb

Aftahb, your videos are not suitable in the General Discussions Forum because that forum is reserved for Islamic topics to be discussed. The videos are not useful to English speaking people, so it should stay here where people who are learning about Sufism might see it or we can move it to the Multilingual Forum. What language are the religious people using? 

this is like, you go to someones wedding to enjoy food and someone drags you into survey and teaching you customs. 

this post was only to bring religious entertainment to people. People who have no understanding of islam; shouldn't be looking into these things till they get the basics right. 

I'm not arguing if this was correct or not.

And did i ask you to share your opinion? This question was only directed towards Hameedeh. If you are not Hameedeh, you should not jump into this. We call this attitude, "bone in kabab."

Big boi

Aftahb, your videos are not suitable in the General Discussions Forum because that forum is reserved for Islamic topics to be discussed. The videos are not useful to English speaking people, so it should stay here where people who are learning about Sufism might see it or we can move it to the Multilingual Forum. What language are the religious people using? 

SO this isnt islamic topic? And if the video isnt useful to english speaker, it shall be moved in other areas? Do you really think majority here speaks english? Just bc there are few reverts. this website is considered an english language shia website when majority here is not revert and they don't even speak english. Either Arab, Indo-paki, Irani or afghani. Thats what makes up majority of population on this forum. 

I would like you to move it back in the discussion forum and whoever doesn't understand it. They don't ve to care for it. Just like those who don't understand english, so they don't care for english piece on this forum. 

I'm not arguing if this was correct or not.

Big boi

:lol:  :D  :P

Aftahb, ShiaChat is a discussion board, which means people are discussing. Your music videos are religious music, practiced by a sect of people, but there is nothing to discuss. Since you did not answer my question about what language they are using, the topic will stay here in this forum where people who are interested in sects might see it. 

But this type of music is done in gatherings, is it not?

The gathering itself is not a problem nor is the "entertaining" aspect of it. What matters is whether the gathering falls under the "lahwi mutrib" category.

Sistani fatwas on music make it clear that "entertainment" in terms of deriving pleasure or enjoyment from something is not the problem but vain entertainment without legitimate purpose or sense, which is usually what is referred to in the fatwas dealing with "entertainment and amusement gatherings." But a pleasurable gathering is not a problem itself. Otherwise, people enjoying themselves at dinner or majlis with friends and family would be guilty of wrong just for getting together and being happy.

Aftahb, ShiaChat is a discussion board, which means people are discussing. Your music videos are religious music, practiced by a sect of people, but there is nothing to discuss. Since you did not answer my question about what language they are using, the topic will stay here in this forum where people who are interested in sects might see it. 

I dont think you know enough of eastern cultures. Such clapping and singing praises of divine is a crucial part of middle east. Its also done in iran, india, turkey, azerbajan. So to say that this is just a sufi sect ritual, is not wise. 

You must understand, islam is very sophisticated. 

Both songs are in urdu. Please move it into Urdu Section. 

Thank You Hameedeh Khanoum

Salam

Edited by Aftahb

(Salam)

I agree with brother Aftahb, this does not belong to sufi only.

I was in Iran for Eid Meb`ath on 27th Rajab an I saw these kind of songs in mosques too. Of course without such instruments but with the hands clapping and all that. And no, it was not azadari lol.