Sign in to follow this  
Haji 2003

Bin Laden Killing - Seymour Hersh Version

Rate this topic

It's in the London Review of Books, so make a cup of tea, put your feet up and get ready for a long but interesting read.

The retired official said there had been another complication: some members of the Seal team had bragged to colleagues and others that they had torn bin Laden’s body to pieces with rifle fire. The remains, including his head, which had only a few bullet holes in it, were thrown into a body bag and, during the helicopter flight back to Jalalabad, some body parts were tossed out over the Hindu Kush mountains – or so the Seals claimed.

http://www.lrb.co.uk/v37/n10/seymour-m-hersh/the-killing-of-osama-bin-laden

You don't need to be a genius nor do you need the endorsements of names to figure out the whole stupid sickening drama. There was a "OBL is dead" thread here on SC back when they lied. It should prove to be an amusing read.

Edited by Darth Vader

In all fairness this could be all fiction as well. Seymour H has been wrong before and his source is anonymous. Another reporter said he contacted Durrani as well and got a completely different response.

Seymour Hersh version.

* ISI had found and captured Bin Laden in 2006 and kept him under house arrest all these years.

*The presence of OBL was revealed by a retired Pakistani intel officer, who walked in one day in US Islamabad embassy to tell on OBL's whereabouts in return for reward money.

* CIA used satellites and established a local post in the town to confirm the info.

* Americans gradually told ISI that they knew about OBL's whereabouts and would get him and that ISI would have to cooperate.

* ISI was in on the raid plan. SEALs even practiced the raid in Abbotabad.

* ISI wanted OBL killed not captured. They did not want a veritable witness alive who might reveal unsavoury truths.

* Saudis knew of OBL all along. They wanted him killed too lest what they had been doing with Al-Qaidah might come out.

* It was agreed between Americans and Pakistanis that OBL's death would be announced 10 days after the raid, in the mountains, and not in Abbotabad in the shadow of the country's military academy.

* Obama reneged on the promise because he had to win the upcoming election. Pakistanis were livid as it made them look bad in the eyes of the world. They could not say much because, after all, the ISI was using OBL as a bait in the uncertain War on Terror.

* OBL was bedridden and not in a position to fight. The compound was not armed as it was under ISI surveillance.

There are some gaps in the story, which is to be expected. Hersh is an investigative journalist, but that doesn't mean one should look for 100% veracity in his reports. This serves as a good counter-narrative to the official American version.

Even though initial raid plans might have been discussed with ISI but the manner and timing was kept out of Pakistani notice until the helis left for Abbotabad. Pak military was informed just at that point and told not to react in any manner. They complied.

Tariq Ali in 2006/7 writes in his book that he asked one of his Pak intel official friend about the possible whereabouts of OBL. That official winked and told Tariq Ali that OBL was on the radar, and that only 4/5 top people knew of it. Why would you kill the hen that lays golden eggs, he's reported to have said. Paki generals were getting unaccounted for dollars to fight the 'war on terror'. They also took it as opportunity to ask for as much advanced military hardware as they could from the US. The F-16s whose delivery was held back by the US for many years were released. So why kill OBL when he was no longer a threat to anyone?

It was also to be seen, after the humiliating NATO defeat at the hands of rejuvenated Taliban in the Spring Offensive of 2006, what turn the Afghan war would take in the coming years. Uncertain, Pakis opted to maintain their old ties with the militants, with OBL as prized possession under house arrest.

Machiavelli would be proud of the ISI.

Edited by Marbles

As I said in another thread, I think he was under house arrest. 

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234989230-osama-bin-laden-watching-himself/

I wrote the above four years ago, so on that basis I agree with at least some of what Hersh says.

(salam)

Having generally followed-in-the-media UBL since the Fisk interview in Sudan, and a recruitment target by AQ in 1996 (I thought it was a put-on, but they accurately did tell me where they got their money, and there were other reasons I wasn't interested in going); I was one of the people who really thought UBL was dead and had several reasons "why" until the Attoabad raid.

What angered my was that UBL was murdered rather than a capture-by-gas operation. Obviously, to shut him up.

And something that perturbed me was: in January 2001 I was watching ABC and the nutwork said something that jogged my memory of the above because it dove tailed. So I wrote it up and sent it to the Feds and no one ever came by to ask any questions or look at any pictures --even though in 2002 l recognized one on TV.  Then in 2011(?) l came across a USArmy report about their recruiting stations in Texas(2), Arizona and Brooklyn.

Go figure.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/topic/234989230-osama-bin-laden-watching-himself/

I wrote the above four years ago, so on that basis I agree with at least some of what Hersh says.

Given where OBL was found it is inconceivable that he managed to hide for half a decade without the knowledge of the agencies. Hersh confirms this. The only other conclusion, apart from denying his existence, was that he was kept in a safe house with a plan to use him in some way at a future date.

I have a hard time believing Hersh when he gives the impression that Americans were clueless about the OBL's whereabouts till a defecting Pakistani intel officer told them. My theory is that America knew all along, but waited for the time when it most suited them to take OBL out. To what extent did Pakistanis and Americans collaborated on this one is a matter of guesswork. Hersh claims that OBL's location had been in the knowledge of Saudis right from the start, in 2006. So the collaboration seems to be more widespread.

In the end, each party wanted him dead than captured alive.

Edited by Marbles

I have a hard time believing Hersh when he gives the impression that Americans were clueless about the OBL's whereabouts till a defecting Pakistani intel officer told them. My theory is that America knew all along, but waited for the time when it most suited them to take OBL out. 

The ISI put him there, at least with American knowledge, more likely with their agreement. The question is why the killing was such a mess and to explain that I think it's likely something in the US/ISI deal went awry.

There may well have been a defecting ISI officer, but more likely he leaked plans of what the ISI or rogue elements within it wanted to do. The Americans could not risk leaving him there.

You guys should watch Zero Dark Thirty. You will love the movie, I would too but I don't believe in the OBL thing so properly. I always wanted to believe like everyone else. But they had to throw his body in the sea and not even take a DNA sample or any proof aaaand just leave us to rely on the official word, as usual.

Edited by Darth Vader

You guys should watch Zero Dark Thirty. You will love the movie, I would too but I don't believe in the OBL thing so properly. I always wanted to believe like everyone else. But they had to throw his body in the sea and not even take a DNA sample or any proof aaaand just leave us to rely on the official word, as usual.

I forgot the references, but a few months after the fiasco a report was published in a reputable newspaper/magazine citing an anonymous American military man who revealed that OBL's body was first flown to Afghanistan and from there to a military facility in the US, where DNA testing and other things were done on his body. It also claimed that his body was saved in a big deep freezer. I don't remember if it claimed whether the body was thrown in the sea afterwords. But the initial story of his having "buried" in the sea right after the raid is an obvious lie. Moreover, Pakistanis would never have accepted if the whole raid was a drama and OBL had not been there or dead before. It doesn't add up to all the hype and controversy, which made Pak military look like sitting ducks. Every party had a lot of things to hide and Hersh with his report only manages to scratch the surface.

PS: I'd never watch that porcine excrement of a movie on OBL raid.

This guy just made something up to sell books.  Does anyone really think that Bush would've let OBL live had he known his whereabouts?  Or that this could've really been kept a secret for so long, between so many levels?  Pakistani military that was made to look like fools, ISI, CIA, loads of US government officials, the SEALs, the people on the air craft carrier that were responsible for the burial at sea, all were able to keep this a secret until random anonymous officials decided to spill the beans?  But everyone loves a good conspiracy theory I suppose.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2015 at 2:04 PM, guest050817 said:

That won't get much coverage on mainstream media. If it does, then i will happily be corrected.

2 1/2 years later and you proved "correct". The news this 02Nov is dominated by some "lone idiot" driving over people in NYC yesterday( nearly 8 minutes on a foreign broadcast)  and a Walmart shooting, and assorted sex acandals (following H. Weinstien for the last 2 weeks, ad nauseum)

BUT: 01Nov17  Most of the files, "470,000" of them from the Abbottabad Raid in 2011 have been released. Did anyone hear any radio or TV coverage?

The DNI site: https://www.dni.gov/index.php/features/bin-laden-s-bookshelf 

For a link to the ClA's press release: http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-41840864 

This is the 4th release of data.

Edited by hasanhh