Sign in to follow this  
Ethereal2015

Sunni Shia Marriage

Hi-
I am here seeking knowledge and do not come here with judgement nor negativity. I am sunni female who will be marrying a shia guy at the end of the year. Do I need to know anything regarding the process that takes place with a shia sheik? As I've heard some different things.

Also... Would love to hear some experiences from any people in mixed sect marriages?

Have any suni sheiks in sydney " authorised" or supported mixed sects marriages? Just curious as i proba need to talk to one?

Also.. Is it permissible for a Shia guy to have his marriage performed by a sunni sheik? I've always wondered about this? We will be getting married through my partners sheik but I've just curious on the topic?

Cheers and salams :) x

My opinion: Islam is Islam.  Marriage shouldn't be viewed as Sunni & Shia, but Muslim and Muslim.  So long as you've reconciled how you will practice your respective religious traditions, how you will share commonalities, and how you'll raise kids, the rest shouldn't be a big deal.  If anyone says it is haram for a shia to marry a sunni or vice versa, they are either lying or have been taught false things, as the concept of Sunni & Shia wasn't even around in the time of our prophet, so it would've been impossible for him to prohibit such a thing.  Unless we were to say sunnis aren't Muslim (or vice versa), which is a wrong thing to say, there is no reason why a shia and a sunni cannot marry.

So, this is longer than needed, but if any sheikh tells you he doesn't support a marriage between two Muslims, tell him he's a misguided fool (but in a more respectable way).   Also, there should be no reason why a shia guy should have a problem with a sunni sheikh, as far as I'm concerned.  If he does, tell him to quit being a girl and deal with it.

Edit: Also, I just realized this is the Aussie sub forum.  Can't give any local advice as I'm in the US.

Edited by coldcow

Thanks... Im on the end of hearing the most foul things from my folks... This disturbs me as I am

a pacifist at heart.

Guess I am looking for someone that's been here and have spoken to a sunni sydney sheik in which I can contact. Need them to speak to my father before I commit the ' ultimate betral' and just get married without their permission.

Just a crazy climate atm regarding sect wars in sydney.

Salaam,

No Sheikh can refuse approving the marriage as you are marrying a muslim or ahlul kitab. Make sure you speak to your future partner about any issues you may incur in the future on the subject and ensure that you iron them out before getting married.

Best of luck