Abu Hadi

Reverts to Islam [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

Having some plain yogurt with suhoor helps with thirst. Using a tablespoon or two of molasses (maybe in your coffee or oatmeal) keeps hunger at bay. Definitely drink plenty of water and juice, and make sure you have fiber rich slowly digested foods and avoid much sweet or greasy/oily foods in the early meal.

The hardest thing for me is that the long days of fasting make my metabolism slow and by iftar time I'd rather sleep than eat. Actually, I always want to sleep by the middle of the third week, and I have to force myself to eat anything for any meal. And I gain 10 lbs. 

You usually have 6-7 cups of coffee...?! And I thought I was caffed up

Try swapping green tea for some of those cups....it's really good for us.

may Allah (swt) help us all....

The rewards for fasting in rajab and shaban have been extremely emphasized, and are famously know as the months of preparation. Not only preparing yourself physically, but mentally as well. I've even heard of scholars preparing for the following Ramadan right when that Ramadan is over--that's how precious each second of Ramadan is, and the importance of having the right mindset. Don't lose time because your body has to still adjust to the routine.

Use these two months to prepare Insha'Allah.

Ah Wow!! 18 Hours!!!! And i certainly didn't know that some muslims starts preparing for the month of ramadan this early.

What i find interesting is that till this very day i'm still discovering how much important Month of Ramadan is. I live in a christian household, they found out about my conversion 1 years ago and since then (Because I'm still a fresh graduate and my salary isn't enough for me to move out and live alone) I've been struggling with them telling them convincing them that I'm a christian again because they wanted to kick me out of the house and causing me numerous problems that i don't need to mention...

So when it comes to Ramadan i should fast covering it all up without them noticing it which is the hard part because my parents were watching every step i make. And truly my brothers and sisters, with the Grace of God with His power with His blessing they were blinded to the fact that I was staying without no food nor water for 15 hours plus a day. Just because I jumped and took the risk for God tho i was afraid, He was there for me. We should have a strong faith in Allah, because when we understand His power, when we, as committing shia believers, understand the power that is behind us we would never have to fear anything ever again.

I usually find it hard to fast the first two days cause of the headaches and dizziness, but after that I manage to pass normally the month. And i don't even eat during Sahr, because if i wake up during the night to eat my parents will notice, so i manage to fast each day on a one meal.

This is my third Ramadan and Insha'Allah it will be Alright. With the help of God and with our faith everything can be done.

6 hours ago, HayderM said:

All of my end of year exams are in Ramadan, every one of them! Have to get prepared :pushup::pushup2: 

Same here buddy! And I normally take chocolate into my exams as a snack :( I guess I'll just bring a tasbih instead :hahaha:

1 hour ago, zainabamy said:

Same here buddy! And I normally take chocolate into my exams as a snack :( I guess I'll just bring a tasbih instead :hahaha:

Ahh yeah I see ur from the UK so we will be fasting the same duration! Hopefully it goes by easy, im expecting first couple days as a challenge, studying in the library at like 2/3am everyone will think iv'e lost it :einstein::clap:

14 hours ago, yasahebalzaman.313 said:

And i don't even eat during Sahr, because if i wake up during the night to eat my parents will notice

Oh please at least take a large bottle of water and a granola bar or some fruit into your room before you sleep and eat it before fajr time! May your hard efforts be rewarded! If I tried to start fast on an empty stomach I would faint by noon!

Wish we could all have the Saudi schedule during Ramadan, 

Get up at 11 am, go harass your secretary for a few hours,

throw a few taekwondo punches,

leave the office,

Do Salat Dhuhr, take a nap,

wake up for Salat Asr, take another nap,

Then time to eat a whole cow and fall into a diabetic coma at 3 am.

Then wake up the next day and do it all again. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

I keep planning to cut out my afternoon coffee, and each day afternoon comes and I decide to wait one more day. I drink only two cups per day, but I'm as addicted as if I were in the habit of having a whole pot.

5 hours ago, Abu Hadi said:

Wish we could all have the Saudi schedule during Ramadan, 

Get up at 11 am, go harass your secretary for a few hours,

throw a few taekwondo punches,

leave the office,

Do Salat Dhuhr, take a nap,

wake up for Salat Asr, take another nap,

Then time to eat a whole cow and fall into a diabetic coma at 3 am.

Then wake up the next day and do it all again. 

Lol....is that how it's done? My daughter has a couple of friends from school  who are from there and they really do sleep almost all day during Ramadan,but I thought it was because they were students and Ramadan has fallen during the summer vacation since she has known them. I keep wondering if  severely cutting down on all activities in such a climate was the historical norm when even taking water was forbidden?

Not my business and I don't intend to linger on this thread, but as a purely academic question, I also wonder if the hours of fast times shouldn't be tied to sunrise/sunset in Arabia since it is a very strict fast and there were no near-polar Muslims at the time of institution? 

10 hours ago, notme said:

Oh please at least take a large bottle of water and a granola bar or some fruit into your room before you sleep and eat it before fajr time! May your hard efforts be rewarded! If I tried to start fast on an empty stomach I would faint by noon!

Thank you :) I do it for the love of God and Ahlulbayt.

I don't like eating at night it's unhealthy for the body... it stores fat easily and it makes you bloat but sure i drink water. And plus i don't know why but before when i used to stay up at night very late, i used to eat big meals but when i wake up i would feel so hungry so it's like i never ate. I won't say that fasting Ramadan is easy but it teaches us self discipline and patience. I like it. I feel that some people forget why we have Ramadan. All we have to do is to change our state of mind, keep ourselves busy and the month will be easily finished.

Edited by yasahebalzaman.313

8 hours ago, Sumayyeh said:

@yasahebalzaman.313 

There's a famous sermon that the Prophet (s) gave right before Ramadhan...its amazing. When I get the chance I wanted to share it, or maybe someone can find it...I think you'll that very interesting...

Well looking forward to see it. 

@yasahebalzaman.313 @zainabamy @IbnSina (tagging you guys cuz I thought you might find this useful Inshallah :) )

So, I read this famous sermon usually right before Ramadhan to remind myself of how precious every single moment of this month is, and to not let even a second go by. So thank you for reminding me to read this from now.

According to this famous sermon:

Every breath you take and even your sleep is considered worship in this holy month. 

In this month, you are literally considered the guest of Allah--how do hosts usually treat their guests?

Just think--Allah is your host in this holy month!

Reading one Ayah of the Quran in this month is the equivalent to reading the entire Quran.

-------

Remember the nights of the 19th, 21st, and 23rd are the nights of Qadr, and they are when your destiny for the entire year are determined. Every Dua that you want answered, any situation that you're looking forward to happening in the year ahead--it is of utmost importance to make dua on these nights. The most important and highest probability of is the night of the 23rd.

--------

The Sermon Given By The Prophet (s) On The Last Friday Of Sha'ban On The Reception Of The Month of Ramadhan

“O People !

“Indeed ahead of you is the blessed month of Allah. A month of blessing, mercy and forgiveness. A month which with Allah is the best of months. Its days, the best of days, its nights, the best of nights, and its hours, the best of hours. It is the month which invites you to be the guests of Allah and invites you to be one of those near to Him. Each breath you take glorifies him; your sleep is worship, your deeds are accepted and your supplications are answered.

So, ask Allah, your Lord; to give you a sound body and an enlightened heart so you may be able to fast and recite his book, for only he is unhappy who is devoid of Allah’s forgiveness during this great month. Remember the hunger and thirst of the day of Qiyamah (Judgement) with your hunger and thirst; give alms to the needy and poor, honor your old, show kindness to the young ones, maintain relations with your blood relations; guard your tongues, close your eyes to that which is not permissible for your sight, close your ears to that which is forbidden to hear, show compassion to the orphans of people so compassion may be shown to your orphans.

Repent to Allah for your sins and raise your hands in dua during these times, for they are the best of times and Allah looks towards his creatures with kindness, replying to them during the hours and granting their needs if he is asked...

“O People! Indeed your souls are dependant on your deeds, free it with Istighfar (repentance) lighten its loads by long prostrations; and know that Allah swears by his might: That there is no punishment for the one who prays and prostrates and he shall have no fear of the fire on the day when man stands before the Lord of the worlds.

“O People! One who gives Iftaar to a fasting person during this month will be like one who has freed someone and his past sins will be forgiven.

Some of the people who were there then asked the Prophet (s): “Not all of us are able to invite those who are fasting?”

The Prophet (s) replied: “Allah gives this reward even if the Iftaar (meal) is a drink of water.”

“One who has good morals (Akhlaq) during this month will be able to pass the ‘Siraat’...on the day that feet will slip...

“One who covers the faults of others will benefit in that Allah will curb His anger on the day of Judgement...

“As for one who honors an orphan; Allah will honor him on the day of judgement,

“And for the one who spreads his kindness, Allah will spread His mercy over him on the day of Judgement.

“As for the one who cuts the ties of relation; Allah will cut His mercy from him...

“Who so ever performs a recommended prayer in this month Allah will keep the fire of Hell away from him...

“Whoever performs an obligator prayer Allah will reward him with seventy prayers [worth] in this month.

“And who so ever prays a lot during this month will have his load lightened on the day of measure.

“He who recites one verse of the holy Quran will be given the rewards of reciting the hole Qur’an during other months.

“O People! Indeed during this month the doors of heaven are open, therefore ask Allah not to close them for you; The doors of hell are closed, so ask Allah to keep them closed for you. During this month Shaytan (Saten) is imprisoned so ask your Lord not to let him have power over you.”

Source: http://www.al-islam.org/supplications-month-ramadhan/sermon-given-prophet-s-last-friday-shaban-reception-month-ramadhan

(btw, this was an excellent source in general for Ramadhan; please take a look)

Eltemase dua (plz keep me in your duas :) )

Edited by Sumayyeh

Salam all, I thought of posting this clip that I personally have really benefited from here... as we're all preparing ourselves Inshallah. 

@zainabamy @yasahebalzaman.313

"These days that in our narrations have been introduced as prominent are all opportunities."

6 minutes ago, Sumayyeh said:

Salam all, I thought of posting this clip that I personally have really benefited from here... as we're all preparing ourselves Inshallah. 

@zainabamy @yasahebalzaman.313

"These days that in our narrations have been introduced as prominent are all opportunities."

Mashallah I really enjoyed this, thank you once again @Sumayyeh :D 

Bismillah Ta'la

Information on the conference

Conference Info

I will be presenting at the Revert's Workshop. The topic of the workshop will be regarding opportunities and challenges faced by the Revert Community in the 'West' and particularly in North America

I am attempting to build a network of Reverts Across North America, Australia and the UK, the Migration313 Project, which is expanding and which I will talk about in the workshop. I think the conference would be a very good opportunity for us to come together to meet each other in person and discuss the opportunities and challenges we face. There is alot of overlap here, and most of the issues faced by reverts are also issues faced by the muslim community in general. This is not a 'Revert's Only' workshop and all brothers and sisters are invited to attend and will be welcomed, but the focus of the discussions will be on issues that are somewhat unique to the revert community. 

REGARDING MUSLIM CONGRESS

Migration313, the group which I am leading at the moment, is not part of Muslim Congress. We are an independent group with independent agenda and leadership. At the same time, I want to clear up some misconceptions some brothers and sisters may have regarding Muslim Congress, the organization.

Muslim Congress has been very kind and generous to give us a platform in order to address the issues of the Revert Community while at the same time giving us our independence. Muslim Congress is an organization run by ulema and momin brothers and sisters who freely dedicate their time to expand and advance the interests of the muslim communities, with a focus on North America. 

There are some in the community who have tried to spread rumors that Muslim Congress is sponsored by the Islamic Republic of Iran, or that anyone who is not muqallid (follower) of Sayyid Ali Khameni(ha) is abused and harrased or forced to make taqlid to him. 

I can tell you that this is complete nonsense. Muslim Congress receives no support, whether financial or otherwise from the Islamic Republic. 100% of the financial support for the organization comes from brothers and sisters who are part of the organization activities and almost every one of those live in the US / Canada. In addition, many of the top leadership in Muslim Congress are neither Iranian, nor are they muqallid of Sayyid Ali Khameni(ha). The vast majority of the members of Muslim Congress are not Iranian, and include brothers and sisters from almost every background including African, African American, Indo-Pak, Arab, East Asian, Caucasian, and even some Native Americans. 

I can tell you that there are a few things that set muslim congress apart from other Islamic Organizations in North America. 

First is that the organization is diverse (mentioned above) and that it promotes Islamic Teaching and Teaching of Ahl Al Bayt(a.s).

Second, is that there is a broad consensus amoung the members of the organization that Islamic Leadership belongs to the knowledgeable and just ulema, and that we should take our lead from them as far as how we should act and where we should focus our activities. 

Third is that there is a strong commitment to improving the lives and conditions of muslim communities in North America with a focus on education and outreach. There is a new focus now on outreach to the revert communities, and I am part of that effort. 

I hope I will see many of you in Dearborn in August. 

Salam, 

salamon alaykom

i read your story and your reply to the comments .first of all i should say congrats that Allah guided you.as i understood you said we shouldnt divide islam to sunni and shia and we should have a unity .it is true but dont forget islam is a perfect religion. it has plan for our pray our fast our food but pray of shia and sunni is different and there are some other different in details too and just one of them is correct .and also in their belifs there are some basical difference . we must choose just one way . if you are just muslim how do you say pray? as shia or as sunni? their hadith book is different .so i recomend you try to research more to find the truth .if shia say imam Ali and his 11 sons are leader after prophet it has a lot of meaning . you cant pass it easily and just say i am muslim. you should try to find why we just follow prophet and imam Ali and sons .because we belive Allah asked us to do it ghadir khom day and he said to prophet in quran if you dont say Ali is leader after me islam will not be perfect...

May Allah bless you