Abu Hadi

Reverts to Islam [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

please accept my heartiest condolence. I lost my father at a young age too, and I was the closest child to him. he meant the world to me and the moments we shared together, the adventures we had are still etched in my mind, never to be forgotten. i saw him paralyzed, in a complete state of helplessness for 2.5 years - he was a strong man.

i pray that God gives you and your family the strength to bear this pain and the courage needed to move forward. be blessed.

Salam, what a beautiful tribute. If it would bring you comfort, you should continue to talk to him. Maybe he will know, maybe not, but if it sooths you im sure he would want you to do that. It sounds like it was quite sudden, so you may be in some shock. Be kind to yourself. In many respects a quick passing is a blessing alhamdullillah. When my dad died it was after a long, drawn-out illness and there was relief that his suffering was over mixed with the grief. I wasnt at his bedside either and did a lot of praying for his transition to be smooth and for his peace. I will do the same for your dad. Try not to chastise yourself for not visiting home more. I understand your pain, but your dad would not want you to do that i am sure. He will understand the pressures and conflict you experience and is probably feeling nothing but love for you and your family and wanting you all to be as healthy and content as possible. His love hasnt disappeared, it is inside you and your family still, so let yourself feel it and feel your grief and your gratitude for being blessed with such a lovely papa alhamdullillah.

Innaa lillahi Wa Innaa Ilayhi Raaji'un.

Assalam aleikum wa rahmatullahi wa barakathu,

So I've had a few members ask me how I became a Shi'a and they have said that I should share it with everyone. So here it goes... get a cup of tea and a biscuit. :muslima:

I first learnt about Islam when I was engaged to a Muslim guy, who wasn't practising. I was intrigued by his religion and began to do my own research. The only things I knew about Islam where things that I had seen in the media and so I didn’t have a very positive opinion on this religion.

However, I soon realised that there was so much more to this faith than I could ever have imagined. I realised that everything I knew about Islam was completely false. Instead I was presented with a faith that was logical, beautiful, fair and miraculous. I found a God who was so worthy of worship and so merciful to his creation and a Prophet (pbuh) with a beautiful and pure heart.

So after doing a bit of research I decided I wanted to become a Muslim and began to practise. I took things very slowly. I learnt my prayers and began to pray everyday and read Qur’an. I practised fasting, started to be more charitable, gave up pork and begun to give up alcohol among other things. I was very very happy and felt I was nearly ready to take my shahdah.

But things happened. The first thing was I left my fiancé. He had started being increasingly abusive to me and it got to a point where I couldn’t take it anymore. This completely shattered me - he and his family were the only Muslims I knew properly. I had tried several times to find a mosque to make friends there as my fiancé lived abroad but every time I went to the mosque, I was treated with disrespect and made to feel like I wasn’t welcome there. This hurt me so much and I didn’t understand why. I always dressed and acted so conservatively when I visited the mosque but I was always excluded.

I was so lost and quickly got angry with God about all these things that were happening to me. I panicked because I felt I could not follow Islam anymore. So foolishly I looked for excuses to leave the faith. I ignored everything I had learnt and went back to being ignorant about Islam. Astagfirullah (may Allah forgive me) I did and said some terrible things against God and his Messenger (pbuh). 

So instead I became a Christian. I had many Christian friends so I decided it made sense to convert. I had this idea in my head that all Muslims were like my ex and the men at the mosque and that Christians were nice and friendly people. I found excuses to make me believe in the Christian doctrines and for almost a year I lived quite happily as a Christian.

But yet again things changed. As I fully recovered after a difficult few months, I began to miss Islam. I missed the excitement of Ramadan, learning Arabic and above all I began to miss prostrating to God. I began to contemplate my choices and I realised that I had been completely unfair to God and Islam. I left Islam because of a few ignorant and hurtful people who did not embody the ideal Muslim in anyway. I realised that if the Prophet Muhammad (saw) was alive and spoke to these men, he would have told them that they were doing wrong because he said to never hurt or disrespect a woman for she is special to Allah.

And I realised that truly in my heart, I did not accept Jesus (pbuh) as God. From reading the Bible, I loved Jesus with all my heart but truly the idea of him being God is so illogical to me. The only reason why I turned to Christianity is because I felt like I had nowhere left to go, not because I thought it was the truth.

So one day after watching an Islamic lecture, I felt the need to pray. So I washed myself and prayed 2 rakats. And after that I called out to God because I fully believed that I had made some terrible mistakes. I asked God to forgive me of not trusting him and of the terrible sins I had committed. And for the first time in a long time, I felt like I was in the right place.

I decided to take things really slowly and began by increasing my knowledge. At the time, the only path I considered was Sunni Islam. My ex fiance and his friends had told me all about the Shi'as and said some truly disgusting things about them. But one day I was watching Islamic lectures on You Tube and accidendly started watching a lecture by Dr Sayed Ammar Nakshawani. When I realised that it was a Shi'a video I wanted to turn it off, but a huge part of me refused and I kept watching. The arguments and set up were alien to me, but they did make sense. This sent me on a path where I watched more of his videos. First I watched his series on the misconceptions about the Shi'a and everything I had ever been taught was a lie. I couldn't believe how logical and truthful the beliefs of the Ahlulbayt (as) were. They made more sense to me to anything that I had studied before. After that, I watch his series on the 14 Infallibles and loved learning about the Ahlulbayt (as). I suffer with Bi-Polar and at times get dangerously depressed and managed to find some comfort in learning the difficulties Ahlulbayt (as) went through. It gave me hope that if for example Imam Karzim (as) never gave up on Allah (swt) when we was imprisoned and tortured, then I could do the same with my problems.

I think the final straw for me wanted to become a Shi'a was when I learned the fates of Imam Hussain (as) and Fatima Zahra (as). I had heard of Hussain before but every Sunni scholar who had talked about him just said he is just another martyr and nothing special. What they failed to add was Hussain was murdered by so called fellow Muslims and wallahi it is shameful to call him just another martyr when our Prophet (saw) weeped knowing what would happen to Hussain at Karbala. But the thing that shocked me the most was what happened to Zahra (as). When I found out about her land being stolen and her house being attacked, believe me I was disgusted and ashamed that I had believed she had just died from grief. Wallahi the evidence is even in the books of Ahlul-Sunnah. This pain hurt me so much.

So this is how I refound Islam and I feel so lucky. My name is Amy and I'm not going to officially change my name but I have adopted the nickname of Zainab. This is because when I heard Lady Zainab's (as) story, I weeped over what had happened to her and I will never forget that moment and even to this day I have such a love for her. And in addition, I want to be a helper to the Imam of our time Imam Mahdi (as), may Allah hasten his return, as Zainab (as) was to Hussain (as).

Al hamdulillah. Last time wallahi I wanted to convert for a man. But now I want to do it for God and God alone. Al hamdulillah. 

As Salaam Alaikum, hope your well & In good health.

I reverted to Islam on the 27th April 2012 and I'd love to share my revert story with you.

It all began back in 2011 when the topic about religion was being spoken about amongst me and a few friends. Hinduism Christianity and Sikhism. We was all out eating and there they was debating and discussing amongst themselves about the religion they follow. I had no input in the conversation as I did not follow any religion and at this moment in time religion didn't have any meaning to me. I had always believed there is a God but never quite grasped an understanding of faith. I didn't see the need to as I have been raised as an atheist.

Later on that day I asked my best friend what religion meant to her and why she believes in God. She told me to go home and look into religion, get some knowledge and see if any of them make any sort of sense and purpose to me. At the time I thought I'm not even going to waste my time, why do I need a religion in my life and to believe in a God. 

Few weeks pasted and I finally decided to give it a go, I started with Hinduism and went on to Sikhism and Christianity. I watched lectures and read quite a few books on each religion. There was a few things that I thought made slight sense but I'd still question what I was reading, the knowledge  just wasn't enough for me, something was missing.

Then I looked into Islam, and I got so addicted.

I just couldn't stop, I read lots of books and watched lots of lectures comparing Islam to other religions.

Everything made perfect sense, and that's what was missing. The enthusiasm and compassion I felt for the religion. I fell in love with it, I fell in love with Allah and the Quran. 

Alhamdulillah.

Islam not only made me feel content but it answered everything I had always questioned about in this life. I finally felt like I had a purpose and I belong somewhere. As for the first time I heard a recitation of the Quran, wallahi was the most beautiful thing I have ever heard. So soothing and liberating. SubhanAllah.

So, as time went on and I kept reading into Islam etc. It came to a point where I wanted to take my shahada and follow this way of life. I knew my friends and family wasn't going to like my decision, but I didn't care I just wanted to be close to Allah swt. Nothing else mattered to me.

It took me about 2 months to tell my parents that I wanted to be a Muslim because I knew that they wouldn't accept it and I knew the reaction I was going to get. I kept telling myself I will tell them when the time is right but there was never a right time.

I told my mum first and she was baffled and didn't understand why I wanted religion in my life she looked at me in a completely different way. She was mute. I know it must have been a shock to her so I explained why and let it be. My mum is so close to me so it was hard for me to see her act this way. My stepdad never took it lightly, we had a really big debate about religion its self and he tried to persuade me to not go through with it. My mum then began to beg me not to convert. She assumed I was going through a phase.

How could I just stop believing now that I have started to believe. 

Time went on and I took my shahada without my parents knowing as that was the only way it could happen. Then slowly I told my parents I'm now a Muslim. They found it hard to accept and things were quite tense for a while in the house. 

But even though my parents were mad and disappointed at me, not speaking to me properly, and even though I befriended all but one of my friends. I still felt so content because I knew I had found Allah and knew He was there for me.

alhamdulillah. 

JazakAllah for taking the time to read my blog.

as salaam alaikum. :thankyou:

what's your background? i noticed you used "wallahi" which is typical Arabic lingo, but i have not heard of Arab families being Atheist, i have heard of Christian and Muslim and Jewish but whole Arab families to be atheist if this is the case, then its a first time i hear about it 

also what is your denomination? shia or sunni? you didnt mention it 

Edited by neverforgotten313

11 minutes ago, neverforgotten313 said:

what's your background? i noticed you used "wallahi" which is typical Arabic lingo, but i have not heard of Arab families being Atheist, i have heard of Christian and Muslim and Jewish but whole Arab families to be atheist if this is the case, then its a first time i hear about it 

also what is your denomination? shia or sunni? you didnt mention it 

I'm white British along with my parents, I believe we are not supposed to be divided into such sects.

The Quran says, 

"And hold fast,

All together, by the rope, 

Which Allah ( stretches out for you ), 

and be not divided among yourselves;"

[ Al-Quran 3:103 ]

What is the rope of Allah that is being referred to in this verse? It is the Glorious Qur’an. The Glorious Qur’an is the rope of Allah which all Muslims should hold fast together. There is double emphasis in this verse. Besides saying ‘hold fast all together’ it also says, ‘be not divided’.

Qur’an further says,

"Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger"
                [Al-Qur’an 4:59]

"As for those who divide 

Their religion and break up into sects, 

thou hast no part in them in the least:

Their affair is with Allah:

He will in the end 

Tell them the truth

Of all that they did." 

[Al-Quran 6:159]

In this verse Allah (swt) says that one should disassociate oneself from those who divide their religion and break it up into sects.

But when one asks a Muslim, "who are you?", the common answer is either ‘I am a Sunni, or ‘I am a Shia’. Some call themselves Hanafi, or Shafi or Maliki or Humbali. Some say ‘I am a Deobandi’, while some others say ‘I am a Barelvi’.

One may ask such Muslims, "Who was our beloved prophet (pbuh)? Was he a Hanafi or a Shafi, or a Humbali or a Maliki?" No! He was a Muslim, like all the other prophets and messengers of Allah before him.

It is mentioned in chapter 3 verse 52 of Al-Qur’an that Jesus (pbuh) was a Muslim.

Further, in chapter 3 verse 67, Al-Qur’an says that Ibrahim (pbuh) was not a Jew or a Christian but was a Muslim.

If anyone poses a Muslim the question who are you, he should say "I am a MUSLIM, not a Hanafi or a Shafi". Surah Fussilat chapter 41 verse 33 says

"Who is better in speech
Than one who calls (men)
To Allah, works righteousness,
And says, ‘I am of those
Who bow in Islam (Muslim)?’ "

[Al-Qur’an 41:33]

The Qur’an says "Say I am of those who bow in Islam". In other words, say, "I am a Muslim".

We must respect all the great scholars of Islam, including the four Imaams, Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Shafi, Imam Humbal and Imam Malik (may Allah be pleased with them all). They were great scholars and may Allah reward them for their research and hardwork. One can have no objection if someone agrees with the views and research of Imam Abu Hanifa or Imam Shafi, etc. But when posed a question, ‘who are you?’, the reply should only be ‘I am a Muslim’.

Some may argue by quoting the hadith of our beloved Prophet from Sunan Abu Dawood Hadith No. 4579. In this hadith the prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said, "My community will be split up into seventy-three sects."

This hadith reports that the prophet predicted the emergence of seventy-three sects. He did not say that Muslims should be active in dividing themselves into sects. The Glorious Qur’an commands us not to create sects.

The Glorious Qur’an mentions in several verses, "Obey Allah and obey His Messenger". A true Muslim should only follow the Glorious Qur’an. He can agree with the views of any scholar as long as they conform to the teachings of the Qur’an. If such views go against the Word of Allah, or the Sunnah of His Prophet, then they carry no weight, regardless of how learned the scholar might be.

as salaam alaikum, and if I've offended anyone please forgive me. 

49 minutes ago, RevertSister said:

I'm white British along with my parents, I believe we are not supposed to be divided into such sects.

The Quran says, 

"And hold fast,

All together, by the rope, 

Which Allah ( stretches out for you ), 

and be not divided among yourselves;"

[ Al-Quran 3:103 ]

What is the rope of Allah that is being referred to in this verse? It is the Glorious Qur’an. The Glorious Qur’an is the rope of Allah which all Muslims should hold fast together. There is double emphasis in this verse. Besides saying ‘hold fast all together’ it also says, ‘be not divided’.

Qur’an further says,

"Obey Allah, and obey the Messenger"
                [Al-Qur’an 4:59]

"As for those who divide 

Their religion and break up into sects, 

thou hast no part in them in the least:

Their affair is with Allah:

He will in the end 

Tell them the truth

Of all that they did." 

[Al-Quran 6:159]

In this verse Allah (swt) says that one should disassociate oneself from those who divide their religion and break it up into sects.

But when one asks a Muslim, "who are you?", the common answer is either ‘I am a Sunni, or ‘I am a Shia’. Some call themselves Hanafi, or Shafi or Maliki or Humbali. Some say ‘I am a Deobandi’, while some others say ‘I am a Barelvi’.

One may ask such Muslims, "Who was our beloved prophet (pbuh)? Was he a Hanafi or a Shafi, or a Humbali or a Maliki?" No! He was a Muslim, like all the other prophets and messengers of Allah before him.

It is mentioned in chapter 3 verse 52 of Al-Qur’an that Jesus (pbuh) was a Muslim.

Further, in chapter 3 verse 67, Al-Qur’an says that Ibrahim (pbuh) was not a Jew or a Christian but was a Muslim.

If anyone poses a Muslim the question who are you, he should say "I am a MUSLIM, not a Hanafi or a Shafi". Surah Fussilat chapter 41 verse 33 says

"Who is better in speech
Than one who calls (men)
To Allah, works righteousness,
And says, ‘I am of those
Who bow in Islam (Muslim)?’ "

[Al-Qur’an 41:33]

The Qur’an says "Say I am of those who bow in Islam". In other words, say, "I am a Muslim".

We must respect all the great scholars of Islam, including the four Imaams, Imam Abu Hanifa, Imam Shafi, Imam Humbal and Imam Malik (may Allah be pleased with them all). They were great scholars and may Allah reward them for their research and hardwork. One can have no objection if someone agrees with the views and research of Imam Abu Hanifa or Imam Shafi, etc. But when posed a question, ‘who are you?’, the reply should only be ‘I am a Muslim’.

Some may argue by quoting the hadith of our beloved Prophet from Sunan Abu Dawood Hadith No. 4579. In this hadith the prophet (pbuh) is reported to have said, "My community will be split up into seventy-three sects."

This hadith reports that the prophet predicted the emergence of seventy-three sects. He did not say that Muslims should be active in dividing themselves into sects. The Glorious Qur’an commands us not to create sects.

The Glorious Qur’an mentions in several verses, "Obey Allah and obey His Messenger". A true Muslim should only follow the Glorious Qur’an. He can agree with the views of any scholar as long as they conform to the teachings of the Qur’an. If such views go against the Word of Allah, or the Sunnah of His Prophet, then they carry no weight, regardless of how learned the scholar might be.

as salaam alaikum, and if I've offended anyone please forgive me. 

Okay fair enough i dont disagree with you there about calling ourselves Muslim

but to be precise, do you accept the 12 Imams as the rightful successors of the Prophet(pbuh)?

:salam:

:sign_welcome:

Beautiful story, dear sister! Indeed, Allah guides whomever He wants to guide and those whose hearts are open and who seek truth, sincerely, will find His guidance. The reaction of your parents is unfortunate but I can imagine that your conversion came as a shock to them. How is the situation, now? Any better? And if not, be patient for Allah rewards the patient. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask them on this forum.

Praise belongs to God,
the First, without a first before Him,
the Last, without a last behind Him.

Beholders' eyes fall short of seeing Him,
describers' imaginations are not able to depict Him.

(....)

Praise belongs to God, for the true knowledge of Himself He has given to us,
the thanksgiving He has inspired us to offer Him,
the doors to knowing His Lordship He has opened for us,
the sincerity towards Him in professing His Unity to which He has led us,
and the deviation and doubt in His Command
from which He has turned us aside;

(As-Sahifa as-Sajjadiyya, #1, In Praise of God)

Ma`asalama.

1 hour ago, RevertSister said:

Salam dear sister.

Thank you for sharing your story.

I'd like to mention some points here:
Allah commands us in Quran to obey the holy messenger and it equates the obedience for the messenger with the obedience for Allah.

The messenger has appointed Ali and Ali's sons as his successors and commanded us to obey them.

So, the obedience for Ahlulbayt is the obedience for Allah and HIS messenger.

In fact, we are following the commands of Allah nothing more.

Even the holy Quran itself commands us to follow "Olil al-amr".

يَا أَيُّهَا الَّذِينَ آمَنُوا أَطِيعُوا اللَّـهَ وَأَطِيعُوا الرَّ‌سُولَ وَأُولِي الْأَمْرِ‌ مِنكُمْ ۖ فَإِن تَنَازَعْتُمْ فِي شَيْءٍ فَرُ‌دُّوهُ إِلَى اللَّـهِ وَالرَّ‌سُولِ إِن كُنتُمْ تُؤْمِنُونَ بِاللَّـهِ وَالْيَوْمِ الْآخِرِ‌ ۚ ذَٰلِكَ خَيْرٌ‌ وَأَحْسَنُ تَأْوِيلًا - 4:59

O believers! Obey Allah and obey the messenger and those in authority among you. And if you dispute concerning anything, refer it to Allah and the Apostle, if you have faith in Allah and the Last Day. That is better and more favourable in outcome.

In the viewpoint of Quran, Olil'amr are infallible.  Otherwise, the verse above is a contradiction.  (that is, Oli'amr commands to something against the will of Allah and HIS messenger.)

It is unanimously agreed that the first three caliphs were not infallible.

You can judge by your self.

Edited by John Algar

Wa Aleykum Salam Sister :)

I really admired your determination to become a Muslima. You must have faced a lot of challenges from your family and friends who do not like the idea of you, accepting Islam.However, no matter how hard they tried to discourage you, try to hold fast to your religion and continue praying to Allah (SWT) for his guidance.

Furthermore, you may come across some Muslims who are not nice (in the future).. I want you to know that their bad manners has nothing to do with islam... Islam in itself is a perfect religion, but the people practicing the religion are human beings afterall... They are prone to making all sorts of mistakes.. A religion must not be blamed just because some of its followers are rude..

There are lots and lots of challenges in life which we all have to face in one way or the other... Those challenges are very hard to overcome. They'll make you want to give up everything... But then, if you have trust in Allah, He'll never let you give up. He'll make you stronger and stronger with every bit of hardship you face.

I agree with the fact that muslims are not suppose to accept sectarian names like that.. Such divisions would only make us weak & vulnerable in front of our real enemies... We should all stand together as muslims as long as we believe in Allah (SWT) and Rasul (SAW). 

With time, i hope you'll continue the search for truth which includes; reading about the history of our beloved Prophet (SAW) and his Ahlelbayt. May Allah bless you, guide you and assist us all in achieving the best of both worlds.

4 hours ago, neverforgotten313 said:

Okay fair enough i dont disagree with you there about calling ourselves Muslim

but to be precise, do you accept the 12 Imams as the rightful successors of the Prophet(pbuh)?

I am wondering, in case of reverts, is it necessary to ask such Questions.

On one way, yes its part of Imaan.

On other way, one can stay undecided on such issues and still be a rightful muslim.

Whats wrong with not having a position on purely sect oriented issues?

isnt it interesting that this group alone, everyone in it has had some journey, some of the people had a journey that led them out and back in again, while others from out to in , still while others in to out(permanently)

most of the people here come from converting-reverting-giving up-leaving-returning-background-disbelieving-believing-born into

quiet a bunch of people we got here

When I became Muslim I was 17 and at first it was overwhelming to understand Shia and Sunni but alhamdillah it didn't take me long. 

I also thought: Why would people divide themselves, why cant i just be Muslim and not shia or sunni? Reality is, I started reading about the lives of ahlul beyt (as) and it took me a couple of gatherings with Sunnis to realize how little ahlul beyt (as) means to them. I got really angry at a Sunni seminar when the speaker just kept referring to other people and not ahlul beyt(as) as if he was purposely trying to hide who they were, I also attended a talk at their masjid which was entitled the family of the prophet and 90% of the talk was abu bakr and Omar and when he would talk about sayeda Fatima (as) it was in a sort of disdainful manner. I said that's it. I don't want to belong to a masjid that is not following the instructions of the prophet about holding fast to Quran and his sunnah. It's ridiculously clear even on Sunni books that the family of the prophet had such great status and for them not to acknowledge it, its truly insulting to Muslims.

That is why we divide ourselves unfortunately, because certain people for whatever their reasons are, prefer to conceal the truth. 

Obviously I'm not saying all Sunnis are like that, a lot of them just never read about the status of the family of the prophet and all they can say is "we love them" and I also decided I didn't want to attend a Sunni masjid when they set up a team of brothers (not even sisters since I'm a girl) to follow me around my university campus in an attempt to stop me from going to the Shia masjid. I had to report them because they would not give up.

They know that once you know the truth of ahlul beyt (as) you can't turn back because it's irrefutable.

Unity of God
Justice of God

Prophethood
Imamate
Final Day of judhment

Bold has some differences, philosophical differences
Justice philosophy leads to freedom of man, thus a corrupt monarch can't use argument of Gods will in his favor for whatever wrong he do.

Shias donot recognize frst 3 caliphs as righteous, but most importantly6th caliph muahwiya is considered Upsurper (but Imam Hassan accepted him defacto for practical reasons).

When he appointed his son as next caliph, that eventually led to Karbals

Saudi chief cleric even today says Yazid was legitmate ruler and Imam Hussain should not have led the rebellion

This legitimacy argument which is bullsh*t by western standards was used to get Edicts from Clergy to legitimize killing Imam Hussain

You can see where its leading, hard sunni believes will not allow you to enjoy things like Freedom of Speech, Freedom to protest etc as unfortunately those things were crushed in early islam and that history is part of their believe system.

Amar bil Maroof nahi an al munkar (promote truth/right. stop wrong), which for shia are obligatory (i think for sunnis as well) is comparable to Freedom of Speech and protest.

Basically issues are debatable today but they can not agree to a  reasoning that will lead them to denounce muahwiya, his rule, even rule of 1st 3 caliphs, sins of many Sahabis etc. While its much easier for shias to curse muahwiya and other sahabs who did many wrong things, because for us no sahaba has some special exaclted status like our imams.

And there is no such controversy about our 12 imams.

But as Sunni justify 1st 3 caliphs and muahwiya for being sahabi, they ignor many other proven things that sahaba did.

Basically a lot of double think

Edited by HGW_XX/7