Abu Hadi

Reverts to Islam [OFFICIAL THREAD]

Rate this topic

Salam 3alaykum, as some of you are wondering the guy in the video is me. I'm glad to have done it, alhamdulillah.

Very nice!  A dear friend of mine is a South Korean convert to Islam odd.  She was Christian (Presbyterian) previously.

Edited by Fatima Hussain

Korean Shia Muslims tend to live in Iran. Ethnically Korean Shia Muslims are rare to come by. I live in the US, insha'Allah I would like to become active in spreading it to people in South Korea.

Edited by Hassan5785

Korean Shia Muslims tend to live in Iran. Ethnically Korean Shia Muslims are rare to come by. I live in the US, insha'Allah I would like to become active in spreading it to people in South Korea.

may Allah bless you brother hasan...keep going! Insha'Allah god help you in this spreading....

Assalam Alaykum,

Since reverting to Shia Islam 7 months ago, I have faced what i can only describe as a bad situation concerning my family life.

My family are all catholic, although not really practicing but when i told them that i was turning to Islam, my family did not support me in this. My parents were not all pleased and my wife said that if i did we would be finished, despite us being together 15 years and have 3 children.

In all honestly I have to say they have bowed to western hysterics and bias against Islam, and do not understand or know anything about Islam as a religion. All they see on the media is things about ISIS and such, my wife was saying to people, that I was wanting to convert to islam and go off and join ISIS - ridiculous i know but that is how they view Islam.

Now, due to this reaction from my family, this has led me to be untruthful about reverting to Islam with them. As far as they are aware I have not reverted but this leads to problems for prayer time etc. As there is no Shia Mosque in my town 9that i am aware off) I am required to practice on my own at home, which then leads to sometimes missing prayers.

I am also concerned that denying my new Islamic faith is disrespectful and may not fall under Taqiya.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Yes, I have tried that, but fell on deaf ears. Much has to do with the british media I think and the anti-muslim sentiment that the establishment puts out.

My thought is continue to practice Islam secrectly / privately and at some point down the line let my family know that i did in fact revert to islam thus proving their fears, worries or whatever were unfounded and it has actually made me a better person.

It is made much harder though as i do not know any Shia muslims round about me.

Taqqiyya, according to the teachings of our Imams(a.s) is only practiced either

1) Because of a direct order of the Imam

2) If your life or property are threatened. In other words, if you believe that there is a very good chance that if you tell them they will kill you or severely injure you or seize your property, then you must do taqiyya. 

I am also a revert to Islam from a Christian upbringing (I am American and grew up in California). 

When I first reverted most of my family was Christian, actively participating in the church, and my grandfather, who raised me after my mother and father divorced when I was young, was a church elder and this was an actively Evangelical Church (think Billy Graham, etc). So they told me I was going to hell, kicked my out of their house, and cut me off from my inheritance (they were wealthy at the time). I didn't have contact with them for a few years, but eventually we started talking again, and now the connections are reestablished, but it is still not the way it used to be before I reverted, because we were a very close family and I used to see them almost every day. 

There will be some difficult years as far as your family goes. But you are a grown man and hopefully financially independent. That is a blessing from Allah(s.w.a) because their tactics as far as making you go back to their way are limited. They know that, and that is why they are bringing up the ISIS issue. IT is an emotional reaction. They are very upset now and are lashing out. Change is always difficult, even if it is good change. 

If Taqqiyya doesn't apply here, then the longer you wait the more difficult it will be when you tell them. 

If you like, you can email me at migration313@gmail.com (I run the site migration313.org). 

I would like to help you if I can. We can have a teleconference on skype with your family to talk about these issues, if they are willing to talk. Try to preserve your marriage if you can. Salam. 

Edited by Abu Hadi

Salam all brothers and sisters,

Peace be upon us.

I would like to share the story about me and my dad here, mostly about my dad.

My father, my role model, my dad, the best person I know on earth who always taught me about life in dunya, real life after dunya, the truth, the right path, Islam, has gone before me to the next level of life. He passed away on October 27th 2015.

I am very sad that I cannot talk to him again or see through his eyes again. I regret many things that I didn't do for/with him when he was alive. 

I didn't live with him or my family. I live alone close to my office, while my parents live about 3 hours by car. I didn't come home often, I visit them only like 3 times a year (this what I regret). Last time I went home for Eid (on July), and since then I haven't seen him again until the day he's gone. I wasn't there at his last minute. I regret that a lot because I am his child who has the most emotional bond with him. When I came home to visit him, we spent time together just the two of us to visit places, random places. My dad is a very simple man and happy man. Now we cannot do that again :(

My mom told me that he was okay the day before he passed away. He and my mom went out to get some food and made a visit to a relative. Then they talked about my niece before they slept. Then he was up to perform midnight prayer at 2 am. By 2.30 he has not finished yet but he stopped. My mom asked what's wrong, he said he didn't want her to know but he is having unbearable headache he has never had before. Then my mom asked him to pray to Allah and she called a relative (in case something happened because they live only the two of them). at 3 am he didn't say it's hurting anymore. He looked like sleeping. Then our relative moved him towards kiblat, and they asked my dad to follow them calling Allah's name, and he did try to keep moving his lips. He opened his eyes, looked up, then he took deep breaths, twice, then 3.30 am he has gone. 

He was a special person to many people. He reverted muslim at young age, and he followed ahlulbayt around the age of 40 and he let people know shia and follow ahlulbayt. 

He left us a very valuable heritage; his journal about life, qur'an ayaat that he has highlighted, all his preaching and messages.

I will write about his search of the truth and his journal later on.

I am crying while I am writing this. Only them whose parents have passed away would understand exactly how I am feeling.

Please brothers and sisters, send me prayers that Allah will give me strength (and my family too) to move on without my father, and I hope he forgives all my mistakes that I didn't have chance to make up.

Salam and have a nice day.

Silviafini, your post brought tears to my eyes. Having lost my own father at a young age I know the pain is great. May Allah give you the strength to bear it.Alhumdollilah, he passed away right after offering the night prayers.Dunya is a place of temporary residence, a place of test for Momineens,Inshallah he is in a better place than this world.

The best thing you can do for your father is to recite as much Quran for him as possible, also make donations to mosques and sadqah in his name. It would be even better if you use some of his money for this(We donate carpets,prayer mat and copies of Quran to our local mosque for the Sawab of our deceased, just to give you an idea)

Maybe you should compile his journals and notes and get them published into a book to distribute them to people, especially reverts.(I know someone who did this for her grandfather)

Try to spend more time with mother for its her for whom the loss is the greatest and try to visit her more often from now, something you had not been able to do for your father.

You and your family will be in my duas.

inna lillahi wa ilayhi rajioon ... please brothers and sisters this is a wake up call to spend time with your loved ones before it is too late!! Life is worthy only for your loved ones and nothing more. Not money, not material, nothing. May Allah bless his soul and all our loved ones who have passed away. May they meet the awliya wa anbiya inshAllah. What a beautiful time to pass away, during the holy month of Muharram and in prayer. Indeed Allah swt loved him. Please recite fatiha everyone. May Allah give you and you family strength and solitude and patience. I am sure, your father loved you no matter what, dont hurt yourself for it will hurt him. Im sure he knew how much you loved him, it was in his heart till the end. Now make sure to take care of your mother. wasalaam

@silviafini

Innaa lillahi Wa Innaa Ilayhi Raaji'oon. "Indeed to Allah we belong, and to Him we return." 2:156.

May Allah SWT comfort you, your mother and all your family and give you patience during this sad time.

(((((fatiha for your dear father)))))

Salam Alykum,

إنا لله وإنا إليه راجعون

May your sorrow and grief, be a vehicle to get closer to Allah.

Look forward to your writings about your father's search for truth.

Because the truth never dies. Live the truth, and you will live your father.

My Allah Have mercy on you and your family