Pearl178

"selfies"

Rate this topic

Once you put out a photo of yourself, it automatically becomes public property. It doesn't matter what someone does with that photo. It's their right.

If you are a leader, how do you protect everybody from someone who abuse the public photo ?

And how do  you prevent someone from committing injustice to himself and injustice to everybody.

Is committing injustice is everybody's right ?

Once you put out a photo of yourself, it automatically becomes public property. It doesn't matter what someone does with that photo. It's their right.

Thankfully, that's not the law where I live!

On 7/23/2014 at 0:58 PM, Chair Pundit said:

Their right extends to the purpose for which the photo was originally intended: for watching. The rest is copyright, not their right.

Their right extends to the purpose for which the photo was originally intended: for watching. The rest is copyright, not their right.

Where is the watermark? I don't see it. There is no intellectual property protection in the absence of any sign signifying sole ownership, which is applicable to most photos posted on social media.

On 7/24/2014 at 11:45 AM, Chair Pundit said:

Where is the watermark? I don't see it. There is no intellectual property protection in the absence of any sign signifying sole ownership, which is applicable to most photos posted on social media.

Forget water and soil-marks. The point is simple: If you're going to mess with a picture that doesn't belong to you, get ready for your nose to be broken into a bleeding sodden flattened strawberry if and when you're found - and the resultant bloodmark will be the mark you're seeking.

Selfie : Hi, I am not sure if I am good looking, but people say, I am? - I need to see if I am. Yes, let me get courage, but, wait, this is not me, hmzz, wait, look, I will take a picture of me, wearing my new thought process, ( purchased product ), ones requires justification to act upon.

Click - upload - likes - Yes, I am happy, I am worth something, not U G L Y - woot - life is great -

upload - No likes - Nooo, I am worth nothing, life over - eat more, get fat, another click, the circle goes again. oooo A like, maybe I am not ugly, ohh the person that liked is ugly too, ye whatever - I don't think so.

See the pattern - the objective of selfies is narcissism, but to the extend that likes are also appreciated if they are in numbers and probably when they are liked by good looking narcissist.

AND - singles guys stalking girls - to be friend them, for possible marriage -

Female Conclusion - OHH this guys are so pervs, trying to befriend me and liking my pics - 

Guy Conclusion - Grrr stupid girls, why do they advertise themselves, then complain -

Satire at its best.

Forget water and soil-marks. The point is simple: If you're going to mess with a picture that doesn't belong to you, get ready for your nose to be broken into a bleeding sodden flattened strawberry if and when you're found - and the resultant bloodmark will be the mark you're seeking.

I had a friend in college who lost her Facebook account to a hacker (within her own family.) She had a bunch of photos in her album which I liked and had saved in my files. The social media was my only means of contacting her since I didn't have her number at the time, and she hardly attended classes. It got to a stage where she had missed more than two weeks of college, and I wanted to know if anyone in class knew where she was. So I uploaded a few of her photos on my wall, asking if any of my fellow classmates had any idea. I received a barrage of complaints from them telling me that I shouldn't upload her photos without her consent, and that I was a "weirdo" for saving her photos in the first place. My responses were entirely rational:

- She was a friend.

- Everyone in class was already well acquainted with her.

- There was no way I could get her consent in her absence. (Stating the obvious out of unfortunate necessity.)

- The photos I uploaded of her had already been made public on her account.

- To be called a weirdo for merely saving someone's photo is a reflection of irrational societal prejudice. I have no taint in the slightest.

Point being, there is nothing wrong with using public photos of others in certain circumstances to your advantage. It is legal so long as it does not put the individual in some sort of tangibly grave danger.

On 7/22/2014 at 7:46 AM, Marbles said:

The staggering lengths some people go to service their fantasies. I wonder what goes on in their minds.

Something like this happened with my sister. She had an FB account and she was very cautious about whom to admit into the friends list and kept privacy settings tight. But somehow some deranged boy from the university saved a picture of her in the Bhurban mountains and guess what he did: He had it printed in large size, like a window-sized advertisement, and glued that poster on a college wall with "I love you [name]" embossed in golden letters on the lower margins. This was his way to professing his 'love'. That was one big move after a couple of valentine cards she had received previously, anonymously.

That day my sister removed all her online pictures and deactivated the bleeding FB for good.

That boy was so 'brave' he never dared to reveal his pathetic identity and to this day we have no idea who he was, from the class, from the sports managing group, from the teacher-student liaison committee, from....no idea.

That's disgusting, but I'm wondering if it could have been someone who didn't like your sister. It may have even been a girl. Some losers will go out of their way, and spend enormous amounts of time and money, to bother others. If your sister had beef with someone who had access to her pictures, all they had to do was make that poster, send those cards, and people would automatically assume that she had a lover. Regardless of how disturbed your sister must have felt seeing these things, if others got wind of this happening they could easily use this nonsense to spread rumors and ruin her reputation. Some people are despicable.

On 7/24/2014 at 4:52 PM, Gotham said:

That's disgusting, but I'm wondering if it could have been someone who didn't like your sister. It may have even been a girl. Some losers will go out of their way, and spend enormous amounts of time and money, to bother others. If your sister had beef with someone who had access to her pictures, all they had to do was make that poster, send those cards, and people would automatically assume that she had a lover. Regardless of how disturbed your sister must have felt seeing these things, if others got wind of this happening they could easily use this nonsense to spread rumors and ruin her reputation. Some people are despicable.

It might have been so, though she didn't have any beef with any of her girlfriends but who knows what goes in the minds of some people. But yes she was disturbed with what's happened but none of us took it seriously or worried about any possible consequences, because there couldn't be any. Reputation of a girl suffers when there's some information or incident that needs to stay confidential, but spills out enough for others to get wind of it. Nothing of this sort was on the cards; instead, the incident made a sort of admirable heroine out of her in the college, you know how college-going youth are, but that wasn't too hard to handle.

Such gimmicks as one pulled by that anonymous individual only make monkeys of those who attempt them.

On 7/24/2014 at 4:49 PM, Chair Pundit said:

I had a friend in college who lost her Facebook account to a hacker (within her own family.) She had a bunch of photos in her album which I liked and had saved in my files. The social media was my only means of contacting her since I didn't have her number at the time, and she hardly attended classes. It got to a stage where she had missed more than two weeks of college, and I wanted to know if anyone in class knew where she was. So I uploaded a few of her photos on my wall, asking if any of my fellow classmates had any idea. I received a barrage of complaints from them telling me that I shouldn't upload her photos without her consent, and that I was a "weirdo" for saving her photos in the first place. My responses were entirely rational:

- She was a friend.

- There was no way I could get her consent in her absence. (Stating the obvious out of unfortunate necessity.)

- To be called a weirdo for merely saving someone's photo is a reflection of irrational societal prejudice. I have no taint in the slightest.

Point being, there is nothing wrong with using public photos of others in certain circumstances to your advantage. It is legal so long as it does not put the individual in some sort of tangibly grave danger.

An error of judgement at best - If I were you I'd type out her name, which would link it to her profile in hyperlink, and ask if anyone had heard a word about her absence. I wouldn't go so far as to re-post the photos that were not personally sent to me in an e-mail with the permission to use them as I saw fit.

An error of judgement at best - If I were you I'd type out her name, which would link it to her profile in hyperlink, and ask if anyone had heard a word about her absence. I wouldn't go so far as to re-post the photos that were not personally sent to me in an e-mail with the permission to use them as I saw fit.

There was no profile existent, though. Whoever hacked the account disabled it. I see no ethical controversy in posting photos of others already made public. It is each individual's responsibility to broadcast aspects of their life they want the public to know.

My God, who cares! Stop condemning others and look to yourselves you fools! Surely, is not God our final judge?? If others feel fine posting selfies on their profiles, and dressing how they wish, then that is their decision, we all have free will and have a mind that allows us to choose what and how we follow, with deviations from the rooms depending on each persons interpretation.

My God, who cares! Stop condemning others and look to yourselves you fools! Surely, is not God our final judge?? If others feel fine posting selfies on their profiles, and dressing how they wish, then that is their decision, we all have free will and have a mind that allows us to choose what and how we follow, with deviations from the rooms depending on each persons interpretation.

True.

But we still ought to discuss why we think it's a bad idea.

My little daughter loves taking selfies and going back and looking at them later. I hope the fad passes by the time she's old enough to use social media, else I might have to restrict her. But for non family members, it's fine.

I still think it's sad though. It makes me think a person has no friends or family nearby.

- She was a friend.

Usually men only save female's photos if theyre family (Like maybe an uncle) or if they are prevs who plan to look at them again for enjoyment. That is why you were labelled as a weirdo. You and marbles make me glad I dont use fb anymore. If I had a male friend who was saving my nice photos, Id punch in the face also. Its disrespectful to save other people's photos even if its not illegal. You as a :Muslim should not be saving and re looking at nice pictures of females anyway. Lower your gaze bro.

(salam)

To be frank obsession with selfies seems to be indicative of narcissism. What on earth are selfie mean to show.

Plus a person visits a place, on returning he showers his wall with his pics showing him fro every possible angle.

What the hell, why dont you share pics of the place and its beauty.

Just my personal thinking.

I am not going to lie, I love to post pictures with friends.  I also use my face as my profile picture of FB to identify myself.  Many people are not good with names, but will remember a face.  What I do not understand is why Muslims don't tell men to take their pictures down as well?  Are there not homosexuals or perverts out there?  Whenever I see a post about pictures it is directed only at women.  On topic, like I said I have a picture of my face as my FB profile picture and a Muslim guy with his main picture him showing his six pack, exposing his aurah sent me a message telling me I should remove my picture.................................

Beach In France Sets Up No-Selfie Zones Patrolled By 'Spam Police'

Yes, the world has come to this.

In an effort to cut down on selfie-mania -- the phenomenon already fueled by selfie stands and selfie-sponsored vacations -- one beach in France has created official no-selfie zones. The areas are intended to stop vacationers from posting obnoxious pictures of their designer bikinis, their beachfront cocktails and those dreaded hot dog legs.

It's a serious measure, but it's got to be taken.

The beach is La Garoupe, a "posh" strip of sand in the south of France where "selfies" are also called "braggies," for the boastful manner in which they're often posted. A phone company sponsor has set up signs to mark specific "No Braggies Zones" on the beach.

The "Holiday Spam Police" will troll the zones in search of perpetrators, ready to shame anyone caught snapping a duck-faced solo shot.

Ironically, beach-goers are encouraged to whip out their phones and comment on any selfies they see with the hashtag #holidayspam.

"The Garoupe beaches are among the most glamorous and pristine beaches in all of France," a spokesperson for the beach told the Daily Mail. "We want people to be able to enjoy our exclusive beach in the moment, not spending the majority of their time bragging to their friends and family back home."

We couldn't agree more.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/08/24/beach-selfie_n_5699171.html

...The world has gone mad

On 8/31/2014 at 1:32 PM, Shian e Ali said:

I thought people were posting their selfies in this thread. Lol! I wanted to check what kinda weirdo wanted people to post their pics here. :P

If you had noticed the inverted commas besieging the title of the thread you wouldn't have mistaken it for a thread of original selfies :P