Pearl178

"selfies"

Rate this topic

Whats with people all over social media becoming so obsessed with taking pics of themselves i.e. 'selfies', its gone out of hand and its only become popular recently. how vain!  I understand taking one or two nice pics and uploading them, but these days it seems like this is all people ever do, take vain selfies every 5 mins, upload them and just and wait for people to compliment them. I came across an article on university of chicago saying people who are obsessed with taking selfies are mentally unstable. I wouldnt go to that extent since it seems like mostly everyone is into this new trend, but they defo lack a lot of confidence in themselves.

what do ya;ll think?

I agree with you sis.

this trend is getting out of hand with the evolution of digital cams and social websites.....at gatherings and occasions, young people are more obsessed with taking and uploading selfies than with paying attention to the actual event......

some might lack self confidence, but lots of them are just giving into peer pressure and  following the trend........ and its not just young people , I know people in their 30s who are obsessed with selfies.....

Guess what you haven't seen my flickr. Never mind. It's stupid but again starting this thread is stupid too why would you care.

I care because I see many of my hijabi sisters obsessed with this trend as well. Maybe they should know that are pretty enough and do not need to give into this silly trend

Guess what you haven't seen my flickr. Never mind. It's stupid but again starting this thread is stupid too why would you care.

that was rude........ she wants to discuss something in an open forum, what's stupid about it......??

if you think its stupid,you should not have bothered to reply

On 7/11/2014 at 10:53 AM, Pearl178 said:

Whats with people all over social media becoming so obsessed with taking pics of themselves i.e. 'selfies', its gone out of hand and its only become popular recently. how vain!  I understand taking one or two nice pics and uploading them, but these days it seems like this is all people ever do, take vain selfies every 5 mins, upload them and just and wait for people to compliment them. I came across an article on university of chicago saying people who are obsessed with taking selfies are mentally unstable. I wouldnt go to that extent since it seems like mostly everyone is into this new trend, but they defo lack a lot of confidence in themselves.

what do ya;ll think?

It's fun and it's memorable, It makes people happy. What are you? The anti joy comission of Iran? I could easily take it up and say what is with all "religious people" on facebook and social sites making pictures of nature as their display pictures? That's cringe-worthy. Oh, and posting endless hadith while liking Miley cyrus in the pages.

I just hate the word 'selfie', it was a sad day for the English language when it was added to the dictionary.

The concept itself is a little weird, as the quality of a self taken photo is never as good as one taken from a greater distance, mind you, going around asking people to take your photo opens up another can of worms.

(salam)

Agreed. And it is not just selfies, its social networking in general. Twitter, Instigram, Facebook, Tumblr, all of them. They are just things for the human being to stroke their own ego. Its why most cant leave those sites easily. It is an Addiction. 

(wasalam)  

On 7/11/2014 at 11:05 AM, El Cid said:

It's fun and it's memorable, It makes people happy. What are you? The anti joy comission of Iran? I could easily take it up and say what is with all "religious people" on facebook and social sites making pictures of nature as their display pictures? That's cringe-worthy. Oh, and posting endless hadith while liking Miley cyrus in the pages.

LOL

On 7/11/2014 at 0:30 PM, Durr-e-Najjaf said:

And i have seen people who actually mind and get offended when you dont 'like' their selfies....even if the snap is embarrassing.

lol, yeah i didnt realize that 'liking' them was a must, until i had many people snap at me for that reason.

On 7/11/2014 at 0:45 PM, FisherKing said:

Agreed. And it is not just selfies, its social networking in general. Twitter, Instigram, Facebook, Tumblr, all of them. They are just things for the human being to stroke their own ego. Its why most cant leave those sites easily. It is an Addiction. 

These sites are a wonderful tool for intelligence agencies.Privacy is at stake due to their rapid growth.

The silliest, most ironical thing I have seen was when hijabis were celebrating 'World Hijab Day' and posting their selfies left and right on social media. What's even more ironical was the mass of comments under those pictures about how good they looked, with some guys taking things further.

Since that day I became convinced that there's nothing more interesting on FB than a hijabi selfie.

On 7/11/2014 at 0:30 PM, Durr-e-Najjaf said:

And i have seen people who actually mind and get offended when you dont 'like' their selfies....even if the snap is embarrassing.

Really? Only empty shallow silly stupid idiot people wold get mad at someone not 'liking' their horrid selfies. Though I as a matter of principle never like a selfie, but there's this cousin of mine who habitually posts 3/4 selfies a day. Since the angle of the phone cam is so twisted the selfies come out as particularly taken to scare people, I'm sure unintentionally. I wonder what she thinks how she looks.

*shrugs*

It is a fad.  It will pass.  Probably.

Though I still sometimes see men with their pants way too low so that their colorful undies are on display, and that stupid fad has been around for ages now. :(

When did it become "cool" to be so uncool as to have absolutely nobody around who you can ask to snap a quick picture of you?  "Selfies" just seem lonely and sad to me.

On 7/21/2014 at 3:07 PM, Marbles said:

The silliest, most ironical thing I have seen was when hijabis were celebrating 'World Hijab Day' and posting their selfies left and right on social media. What's even more ironical was the mass of comments under those pictures about how good they looked, with some guys taking things further.

Since that day I became convinced that there's nothing more interesting on FB than a hijabi selfie.

Really? Only empty shallow silly stupid idiot people wold get mad at someone not 'liking' their horrid selfies. Though I as a matter of principle never like a selfie, but there's this cousin of mine who habitually posts 3/4 selfies a day. Since the angle of the phone cam is so twisted the selfies come out as particularly taken to scare people, I'm sure unintentionally. I wonder what she thinks how she looks.

Its a level further now,,hijabis with full on makeup and a little 'pout' all posed up for a selfie. So silly.

On 7/21/2014 at 3:07 PM, Marbles said:

There is a well-known Muslim sister on Instagram who regularly posts hijab tutorials, and hijab outfits, and I just happened to read the comments under one of her photos. Some guy was saying, "Look at my instagram account, sister," and his avatar was the sister's face... So I went on this guy's Instagram and saw that he had posted every single one of this sister's pictures onto his account, along with tons of other weird things... I don't think that people even consider what someone may do with their pictures.

Also, there are some very sick people who are taking hijabi pictures and photoshopping them onto dirty photos. I came across an account in Tumblr that had such photos, and I was so creeped out. I don't think it's worth it to post pictures online anymore.

It depends on the situation. Selfie? Sure, if you've scaled Mount Everest or just met Roger Federer. In a Nando's washroom? Spare us your good looks.

Those who post 3/4 useless selfies a day come across as a conceited bunch. But that depends on a person's circle. You're probably not to blame if all your friends are doing it.

This web (shiachat.com) is a web for learning ahlul bayt as's teaching, is not it ?

Why not discuss based on the teaching.

What i thought the act of selfies is just riya' (if it is demanding human's attention). And that is their big problem of aqeedah to Allah SWT and the people of Ahlul Bayt as.

Ignorance, arrogance and competitions.

Ignorance, follow what the sheeps follow and not what the intelect supports. Arrogance as showing the beautiful face, "look at me, i am so beautiful", no one like ME, and competitions as competing who is more beautiful, making 100 pictures of yo' face with the same smile, same eye look... and collecting liks and shares and "who got more likes"... oh man. Correct me

On 7/21/2014 at 10:12 PM, Omer-2708 said:

Ignorance, follow what the sheeps follow and not what the intelect supports. 

Media has got a criminal role in promoting this egotism around.

On 7/21/2014 at 5:41 PM, Gotham said:

There is a well-known Muslim sister on Instagram who regularly posts hijab tutorials, and hijab outfits, and I just happened to read the comments under one of her photos. Some guy was saying, "Look at my instagram account, sister," and his avatar was the sister's face... So I went on this guy's Instagram and saw that he had posted every single one of this sister's pictures onto his account, along with tons of other weird things... I don't think that people even consider what someone may do with their pictures.

Also, there are some very sick people who are taking hijabi pictures and photoshopping them onto dirty photos. I came across an account in Tumblr that had such photos, and I was so creeped out. I don't think it's worth it to post pictures online anymore.

The staggering lengths some people go to service their fantasies. I wonder what goes on in their minds.

Something like this happened with my sister. She had an FB account and she was very cautious about whom to admit into the friends list and kept privacy settings tight. But somehow some deranged boy from the university saved a picture of her in the Bhurban mountains and guess what he did: He had it printed in large size, like a window-sized advertisement, and glued that poster on a college wall with "I love you [name]" embossed in golden letters on the lower margins. This was his way to professing his 'love'. That was one big move after a couple of valentine cards she had received previously, anonymously.

That day my sister removed all her online pictures and deactivated the bleeding FB for good.

That boy was so 'brave' he never dared to reveal his pathetic identity and to this day we have no idea who he was, from the class, from the sports managing group, from the teacher-student liaison committee, from....no idea.

On 7/22/2014 at 7:46 AM, Marbles said:

The staggering lengths some people go to service their fantasies. I wonder what goes on in their minds.

Something like this happened with my sister. She had an FB account and she was very cautious about whom to admit into the friends list and kept privacy settings tight. But somehow some deranged boy from the university saved a picture of her in the Bhurban mountains and guess what he did: He had it printed in large size, like a window-sized advertisement, and glued that poster on a college wall with "I love you [name]" embossed in golden letters on the lower margins. This was his way to professing his 'love'. That was one big move after a couple of valentine cards she had received previously, anonymously.

That day my sister removed all her online pictures and deactivated the bleeding FB for good.

That boy was so 'brave' he never dared to reveal his pathetic identity and to this day we have no idea who he was, from the class, from the sports managing group, from the teacher-student liaison committee, from....no idea.

What a psycho!! Make sure u give him a good punch if u ever find out who he is.  

A similar incident happened to me as well...was at an all girls gathering so obviously no hijab,,we took lots of pics and one of the girls (we still dont know who) sent them to a guy and he took our pics and spread them all over the internet to his friends saying all kinds of cheap things about us. the email somehow got to my brother and thats how we found out :S

On 7/21/2014 at 10:12 PM, Omer-2708 said:

Ignorance, arrogance and competitions.

Ignorance, follow what the sheeps follow and not what the intelect supports. Arrogance as showing the beautiful face, "look at me, i am so beautiful", no one like ME, and competitions as competing who is more beautiful, making 100 pictures of yo' face with the same smile, same eye look... and collecting liks and shares and "who got more likes"... oh man. Correct me

and lets not forget the ridiculous hashtags lol 

On 7/22/2014 at 3:19 PM, Pearl178 said:

What a psycho!! Make sure u give him a good punch if u ever find out who he is.  

A similar incident happened to me as well...was at an all girls gathering so obviously no hijab,,we took lots of pics and one of the girls (we still dont know who) sent them to a guy and he took our pics and spread them all over the internet to his friends saying all kinds of cheap things about us. the email somehow got to my brother and thats how we found out :S

There is usually a girl involved when private details are leaked in this way. Now that you mention it, I remember my sister had a strong hunch that someone from among her circle of FB girlfriends might have passed the picture to that guy, and that's how he got hold of it.

In another case, my female cousin's mobile number was leaked to some guy who had no business with her and the person who did it was a girlfriend of my cousin.

On 7/22/2014 at 7:46 AM, Marbles said:

But surely with just a little bit of detective work, your sister could have found out the identity of this psycho, how many print shops in the vicinity of her university could there possibly be that make life size print outs?

On 7/22/2014 at 4:45 PM, Ali_Hussain said:

But surely with just a little bit of detective work, your sister could have found out the identity of this psycho, how many print shops in the vicinity of her university could there possibly be that make life size print outs?

It wasn't just a regular large print. It was a panaflex print which companies get for billboards. They are only printed in the market in some crazy old part of the city none of us has set foot in. It was not possible to find out about him in this way.

It wasn't just a regular large print. It was a panaflex print which companies get for billboards. They are only printed in the market in some crazy old part of the city none of us has set foot in. It was not possible to find out about him in this way.

Once you put out a photo of yourself, it automatically becomes public property. It doesn't matter what someone does with that photo. It's their right.