Ruq

Favourite Word Of The Day

Rate this topic

Mensch in german means human being...now I know from where it derives...thanks

I think the Yiddish would be from the German rather than the other way around =)

This is what wiki says on it:

Mensch (Yiddish: מענטש mentsh, cognate with German: Mensch "human being") means "a person of integrity and honor."[1] The opposite of a "mensch" is an "unmensch" (meaning: an utterly unlikeable or unfriendly person). According to Leo Rosten, the Yiddish maven and author of The Joys of Yiddish, "mensch" is "someone to admire and emulate, someone of noble character. The key to being 'a real mensch' is nothing less than character, rectitude, dignity, a sense of what is right, responsible, decorous."[2] The term is used as a high compliment, expressing the rarity and value of that individual's qualities.

In Yiddish, mentsh roughly means "a good person." The word has migrated as a loanword into American English, where a mensch is a particularly good person, similar to a "stand-up guy", a person with the qualities one would hope for in a friend or trusted colleague. Mentshlekhkeyt (Yiddish מענטשלעכקייט, German Menschlichkeit) are the properties which make a person a mensch.

Most of these words sound german to me.....

Yes it originated in Europe. I dont have any special knowledge on the subject though, i just know and have an affection for some of these words because im a fan of Neil Simons humour. Some of his plays were made into some of my most favourite films (The odd couple, Barefoot in the park, The out of Towners, Plaza suite).

About a third of these Yiddish words are common in Amerika and they do have a german-jew basis.

sch  =signifies a pejorative or an antithesis. Example:

"He is my friend"

"Friend - schfriend"  which would mean the second person does not think of "my friend" as "really your friend".

It can also be within a word: Amerika-Aschmerika  (Ahh-schmer-ee-kaa)

"tush" also means a girl's backside.

While we are at it here are some words which are incorporated into English from the languages of the Indian subcontinent, or from their sources in other Middle Eastern languages....On top of my head....meanings provided for relatively lesser known words.

Pyjamas/pajamas

Chutney

Kismet (fate, destiny)

Thug (a violent criminal, a brutal ruffian or assassin)

Dervish

Dungarees (clothing item, jeans)

Cummerbund (a blet, a sash worn around the waist in old days)

Sherbet (sweet drink)

Avatar (a human form of god on earth; someone who represents a type of person, an idea, or a quality)

Fakir (a mendicant)

Caravan

Caravanserai

Mogul (from Mughal: a tycoon, a powerful person)

Guru (master)

Purdah (apart from veiling, in English is also means "a state of seclusion or concealment" M-W)

Loo (toilet, washroom)

Mantra (something repeated incessantly, a slogan)

Mahogany (reddish-brown colour)

Nirvana (a state of perfect happiness)

While we are at it here are some words which are incorporated into English from the languages of the Indian subcontinent, or from their sources in other Middle Eastern languages....On top of my head....meanings provided for relatively lesser known words.

Pyjamas/pajamas

Chutney

Kismet (fate, destiny)

Thug (a violent criminal, a brutal ruffian or assassin)

Dervish

Dungarees (clothing item, jeans)

Cummerbund (a blet, a sash worn around the waist in old days)

Sherbet (sweet drink)

Avatar (a human form of god on earth; someone who represents a type of person, an idea, or a quality)

Fakir (a mendicant)

Caravan

Caravanserai

Mogul (from Mughal: a tycoon, a powerful person)

Guru (master)

Purdah (apart from veiling, in English is also means "a state of seclusion or concealment" M-W)

Loo (toilet, washroom)

Mantra (something repeated incessantly, a slogan)

Mahogany (reddish-brown colour)

Nirvana (a state of perfect happiness)

You missed out Bungalow =D 'thug' and 'loo' are from the subcontinent? well that has surprised me.

Yes, it means yes.

I though na'am was 'yes'?

You missed out Bungalow =D 'thug' and 'loo' are from the subcontinent? well that has surprised me.

Yeah, bungalow too. There are many lesser known words but they relate to things of Indo-Pak origins such as:

Charpoy (a string cot)

Sepoy (soldier)

Nautch (dance)

Rickshaw (a vehicle used as taxi)

Tonga (horse-drawn carriage)

Mooli (a white vegetable)

Raj (lit. government, esp British government in India)

Raja (prince) & Maharaja (great prince)

Nabob (a title holding feudal lord)

Sardar (leader of a tribe)

And dozens of names for food ingredients and other foodstuff - like tikka (a piece of meat), balti (a pail), karahi (a cooking utensil) korma/qorma (curry) naan (unleavened or flatbread) etc :D

Thug is originally the name given to the members of an Indian cult which the Orientalists described as "devil-worshipers", for their strange esoteric practices. And they used to earn their keep from stealing and banditry. The cult is shown in one of the Indiana Jones movies if you've seen it? I don't know first or second but Amrish Puri, the famous Indian actor, is depicted as the leader of the Thugs.

These days 'thug' is a common term for fraudsters and cheats in our vernacular.

I though na'am was 'yes'?

The same. He transliterated it wrongly.

Edited by Marbles

The cult is shown in one of the Indiana Jones movies if you've seen it? I don't know first or second but Amrish Puri, the famous Indian actor, is depicted as the leader of the Thugs.

These days 'thug' is a common term for fraudsters and cheats in our vernacular.

The second, Temple of Doom.  Also has that annoying screaming woman as the romantic interest, and the cute kid as a sidekick. 

The second, Temple of Doom.  Also has that annoying screaming woman as the romantic interest, and the cute kid as a sidekick. 

Ah, thanks. Watched it as a kid, years ago. I'm now tempted to watch it again for new perspective :D

Notme and Marbles: that is what's wrong with movies.

The women are either screaming, walking around in their underwear, talk (and act) like prostitutes, bit-chie, and generally unattractive.

The kids are either misbehaving, really-really dumb, don't listen, throw temper tantrums, and expect their parents to magically help them.

And what is worse? The dumb men who put up with this bullcwap. :mad:

Shibboleth

* an old idea, opinion, or saying that is commonly believed and repeated but that may be seen as old-fashioned or untrue

* a word or way of speaking or behaving which shows that a person belongs to a particular group

<She repeated the old shibboleth that time heals all wounds.>

<It's not bad to be reminded that there's a whole horde of men of his generation out there in the sticks for whom the old shibboleths are pretty important.>

Ah, Marbles. Where did you get these 'definitions'.?

This is not what a "shibboleth" is. It is a word in the Old Testament that was used by the Israelis to determine who was an Israeli and who was enemy because only native Hebrew speakers could say it correctly.

Modern examples: No German soldier could properly say "Nagasaki" during WW2. Arabs have the language of "dah". Aleuts have a click sounding words (only native Aleuts can hear the difference).

A new word-phrase for Man:

encultured-ape

Anthropologically, Man is one of the "great apes'.

Ah, Marbles. Where did you get these 'definitions'.?

This is not what a "shibboleth" is. It is a word in the Old Testament that was used by the Israelis to determine who was an Israeli and who was enemy because only native Hebrew speakers could say it correctly.

You are talking about the origins of that word, but words that mean something slip into other languages and come to mean more and something different. Pronunciations of words also undergo changes when they are incorporated into foreign languages.

The original meaning of "shibboleth" is also reflected in its modern English usage albeit in a somewhat different way. See the blues.

Definitions and sentences come from Merriam-Webster and Oxford dictionary.

M-W

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shibboleth

shib·bo·leth noun \ˈshi-bə-ləth also -ˌleth\

: an old idea, opinion, or saying that is commonly believed and repeated but that may be seen as old-fashioned or untrue

: a word or way of speaking or behaving which shows that a person belongs to a particular group

Full Definition of SHIBBOLETH

1a :  a word or saying used by adherents of a party, sect, or belief and usually regarded by others as empty of real meaning <the old shibboleths come rolling off their lips — Joseph Epstein>

b :  a widely held belief <today this book publishing shibboleth is a myth — L. A. Wood>

c :  truism, platitude <some truth in the shibboleth that crime does not pay — Lee Rogow>

2a :  a use of language regarded as distinctive of a particular group <accent was…a shibboleth of social class — Vivian Ducat>

b :  a custom or usage regarded as distinguishing one group from others <for most of the well-to-do in the town, dinner was a shibboleth, its hour dividing mankind — Osbert Sitwell>

Examples of SHIBBOLETH

1. She repeated the old shibboleth that time heals all wounds.
  2. <we knew that their claim of giving the best deal in town was just a shibboleth>

Oxford online:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/shibboleth

shibboleth

Syllabification: shib·bo·leth

Pronunciation: /ˈSHibəliTH, -ˌleTH

/noun

A custom, principle, or belief distinguishing a particular class or group of people, especially a long-standing one regarded as outmoded or no longer important: the party began to break with the shibboleths of the left

• It's not bad to be reminded that there's a whole horde of men of his generation out there in the sticks for whom the old shibboleths are pretty important.
  • Yet, it points to a tendency - I'll put it as weakly as that - toward re-marketing tired conservative shibboleths as funky new contrarian understandings.
  • But discarding a few outmoded shibboleths does not create a society that is at ease with itself and free of class anxieties, frictions and divisions.

Edited by Marbles

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language --well, what is left of it...

p.643 shib~bo~leth n. A slogan or saying, esp. one distinctive of a particular group. [Heb. shibboleth, an ear of corn, stream]

As I wrote above concerning speaking abilities, it is the "distinctive' that is the important element. And my cited dictionary has no other entry.

A little lexicographic warfare never hurt anyone. vive la' revolution islami

Naam-An Arabic word I heard repeatedly on al manar.

I think it means yes? Or okay? Not sure.

yeah it means "Yes". it is written in english letters as "na'am" or "na3m"

Salaam ,

"bonjour!" even though i hate French. also "chauffeur" , which is what id love to have & really need!! :D

btw, whats difference btw "yiddish" & "hebrew" is not same language?? but i hate how that yiddish sounds so ugly!!

Nope. Yiddish is a slang type of language which came about from the Jewish people living in Germany. Hebrew sounds very Semetic if you listen to it in proper form.

I like the sound of these words, spoken and heard [just random selection on top of me head] :shifty:

Dapple

Gargantuan

Prurience

Picaresque

triumvirate

Edited by Marbles