Sign in to follow this  
HamzaTR

Need Help With Family Members, Etc. In Persian?

Salam. I do have problems with certain things in Persian, such as family members. It causes me a lot of trouble when I translate English subtitles into Turkish. Because of the differences in languages, the English subtitles just won't help me. When it says "cousin" in the subtitle for example, I need to know which cousin, is it referring to a boy or a girl and whose child it is, the uncle or the aunt and which uncle and which aunt. lol. Thus I need to know all the family members in Persian. Could you guys teach them all? If yes, here's a silly family tree:

2psiq1i.png

I'll be glad if you fill in the blanks (in Persian along with English translitarations) so we can learn better inshaAllah.

About parents and children;

Hasan is Maryam's ...

Masooma is Maryam's ...

Amir is Asghar's ...

Armita is Asghar's ...

Grandparents and grandchildren;

Mohsen is Sadeq's ...

Mahbuba is Qasem's ...

Morteza is Mohsen's ...

Narges is Mohsen's ...

About spouses;

Mohsen is Mahbuba's ...

Fateme is Ali's ...

Also what are the common words in relationship stages? (As in "engagement" terms. I hear the words such as "khastagaar", "namzad" etc.)

Can you name the terms in the stages and explain them? Also I need to know the possible terms in wedding ceremonies, such as "best man".

About siblings;

Qasem is Sadeq's ... (And do you have different terms for older and younger brothers with no use of adjectives such as "bozorg" or "kuchak")

Maryam is Zainab's ... (Same q^)

And how about twin brother and sisters?

Cousins. (In Turkish we have 8 versions of saying "cousin". I think Persian language also has such different versions. Thus asking:)

Jafar is Sadeq's ...

Kawthar is Sadeq's ...

Armita is Maryam's ...

Amir is Maryam's ...

Jafar is Amir's ...

Kawthar is Armita's ...

Jafar is Maryam's ...

Kawthar is Zainab's ...

Nephews & nieces. (in Turkish we have just 1 version and it doesn't matter if it is a male or a female. But I am asking any POSSIBLE versions in Persian so that speakers of other target languages may benefit)

Maryam is Saed's ...

Morteza is Laila's ...

Kawthar is Maliha's ...

Amir is Hasan's ...

In laws. It is possible some of my questions may not have equivalents in Persian. But I need to know the terms you have.

Ali is Masooma's ...

Mahbuba is Ibrahem's ...

Maliha is Saed's ...

Nazanin is Laila's ...

Muhammad is Saed's ...

Saed is Masooma's ...

Mahnaz is Maliha's ...

Ibraem is Muhammed's ...

Masooma is Leila's ...

Saeed is Ibrahem's ...

Mahnaz is Sadeq's ...

Masooma is Jafar's ...

Ibrahem is Narges' ...

Saed is Qasem's ...

And please add any other possible relation term I forgot to mention.

Lastly, this might sound a bit weird but, do you have a term like "Godfather" just as we Turks have usually resulting from circumcision ceremony? Asking because among Turks such person is accepted as a close relative.

Thanks in advance.

Salam. I do have problems with certain things in Persian, such as family members. It causes me a lot of trouble when I translate English subtitles into Turkish. Because of the differences in languages, the English subtitles just won't help me. When it says "cousin" in the subtitle for example, I need to know which cousin, is it referring to a boy or a girl and whose child it is, the uncle or the aunt and which uncle and which aunt. lol. Thus I need to know all the family members in Persian. Could you guys teach them all? If yes, here's a silly family tree:

2psiq1i.png

I'll be glad if you fill in the blanks (in Persian along with English translitarations) so we can learn better inshaAllah.

Lol, no one will bother.

Why don't you just use google translate, simply write e.g. father and it is translated into persian.

A wr wb

I can help you but a little.Here it is

Mother -- Maadar

Father-- Pidar

Son -- Pisar

Daughter --- Doghtaar

Paternal uncle --- Ammohjan or younger one Ammeh

Brother --- Biradar,elder Biradar e mohtaram,younger Biradar sagheer

Sister from same mother -- Hamsheer

Guardian -- Wali

Grandfather -- Pidar e buzurg

Grandmother -- Madar e igrami

Daughter: dokhtar دختر

son: pesar  پسر

Paternal uncle: amu عمو

Maternal   '': daayee دایی

Paternal aunt: ammeh عمه

maternal '': khaaleh خاله

Brother: baraadar برادر

sister: khaahar خواهر

grandfather: pedar-bozorg پدربزرگ

grandmother: maadar-bozorg  مادر بزرگ

* geraami گرامی means respected

cousins: 

دختر خاله   dokhtar khaaleh    دختر دایی  dokhtar daayee (your maternal uncle's daughter)   دختر عمه dokhtar ammeh  & dokhtar amu دختر عمو

پسر خاله  pesar khaaleh      پسر عمو pesar amu

پسر دایی & پسر عمه

نوه: grandchild   ......naveh

نتیجه: great grandchild    .........natijeh

wife: همسر   .....hamsar

husband:  شوهر.....shohar

your sister's child: خواهرزاده  khaharzadeh

your brother's child:  برادرزاده   baraadarzadeh

your son's wife: aroos عروس

your daughter's husband: داماد   daamaad

your wife's sister's husband: باجناق  bajenaagh

a woman's husband's brother's wife:  جاری   jaaree

your paternal uncle's wife:  زن عمو  zan amu

your paternal aunt's husband:  شوهر عمه   shohar ammeh

شوهر خاله  shoahr khaaleg

زن دایی   zan daayee

نبیره  nabeereh: great great grandchild

ندیده   nadeedeh: great great great grandchild

a woman's husband sister:  خواهر شوهر   khaahar shohar

your brother's wife:  زن برادر  (زن داداش)  zan baraadar (zan daadaash is informal and more used by people)...daadaash (informal) means brother

a woman's husband's brother:  برادر شوهر

your wife's sister: خواهر شوهر  khaahar shohar

khaastegar  خواستگار  suitor

namzad: نامزد  fiancé/ fiancee

No word for bestman in Farsi.

bridesmaid: ساقدوش  saghdush

We don't have godparents....maybe Christians in Iran have. But the Persian translation is پدر تعمیدی

Edited by shadow_of_light

We don't use the words amuzad or amuzadeh. Amuzaadeh is archaic and the word amuzaad doesnt exist in the language.

I have not heard the word "hamchashm"!

The word "khaaharzadeh" is used for both sister's daughter and sister's son.

Edited by shadow_of_light

^Amu zaadeh means offspring of paternal uncle. Amu = uncle. But yeah nobody says that. That list is too long to type from a tablet. Hamcheshm lol. Who comes up with that? It doesn't make sense.

How is amuzaadeh archaic? Zaadeh is Farsi, and Amu is Arabic/Farsi?

Edited by The Canuck