aliyah21

Is It Haram To Wear Hair Extensions?

Rate this topic

Recently I got my hair cut in an extreme v-shape in the back with a lot of layers and bangs. Now it looks really thin from the bottom. My hair goes up to my hips, and I'm sure you know that the longer your hair is, the thinner it looks from the bottom... I was thinking of buying hair extensions for an upcoming wedding. I'm only getting the long extensions that blend in with the longest-length of hair to make it look as thick as it was before; I'm not adding in extensions for aesthetic reasons such as having more volume or a longer length. Plus I'll only be wearing extensions when it's just women, otherwise I'd be wearing my hijab. So in this case, is it haram? 

Before posting this question, I was doing some research of my own and came up with very mixed answers. This one kind of stuck out to me: 

Sayyiduna Abu Hurayra (Allah be pleased with him) narrates that the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) said: �Allah has cursed the woman who joins (her or someone else�s) hair (with the hair of another man or a woman) and the woman who asks for her hair to be joined (with the hair of another person) and the one who tattoos (herself or someone else) and the one asks to get tattooed.� (Sahih al-Bukhari, no. 5589)

The Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) forbade this to such an extent that he did not even permit it for a woman whose natural hair had fallen off.

Sayyida A�isha (Allah be pleased with her) narrates that an Ansari girl was married and became sick hence all her hair fell out. They (her family and friends) intended to join her hair with false hair, so they asked the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) who said: �Allah has cursed the woman who joins her or someone else�s hair (with the hair of another man or woman) and the woman who asks for her hair to be joined with the hair of another.� (Sahih al-Bukhari, no 5590)

Therefore, using human hair in any shape or form would be unlawful. It is prohibited to join one�s hair with the hair of another human or to wear a wig made out of human hair, regardless of whether the hair is completely joined and fitted into the hair or whether it is merely a wig which can be removed and re-worn whenever one desires. The ruling would be same even if one had a valid excuse in that one�s hair fell out, as the Messenger of Allah (Allah bless him & give him peace) did not permit it even in such situations.

I found this on a sunni website and the hadith is from Sahih Bukhari, but I don't think Shias consider his book completely sahih (pure), so I wasn't sure what to make of this.

^thanks for sharing. That does put some doubt on the permissibility of partial wigs. Do you "follow" a marja who you can ask? I'm pretty sure full wigs are allowed by Syed Sistani, as long as hijab is observed, and I don't recall any stipulation about human or synthetic hair.

(bismillah)

(salam)

I'm sorry to post in the Sisters forum, but this appeared as newly created topic on the home page which I happen to have some information about.

First of all, let me congratulate you on your niyya of following the will of Allah and following the words of the Ahlul Bayt (as) in this issue. It is rare for women to want to do this so stringently nowadays because the test has gotten very tough. May Allah recompense you with incomprehensible reward Insha'Allah.

Second of all, do not refer to Sunni fataweh in terms of Fiqh. Some are very misleading and misguided and based on ahadith which we consider to be incorrect.

Sayyed Sistani:

Question: If a woman puts on a wig that covers her real hair for the purpose of beauty as well as hijãb, is she allowed to expose her face now that it looks different?

Answer: She is permitted to use the wig, yet it is a beauty item that must be concealed from non-mahram men.

post-21697-0-97022500-1316001398.jpg

Based on these answers, it is okay, as long as proper hijab from non-mahram men is observed.

(wasalam)

(bismillah)

(salam)

According to Fatwas of shi'ah Maraje'  wearing of  hair extensions is not Haram as long as you observe your hijab.

But please pay attention that It is necessary for you to chose a Marja' who is most knowladgable than other Maraje', then you should ask his special Fatwas.

If there is a narration by the prophet saying it's haram, then it's haram. Even if it's from Sunni books like Sahih Bukhari. The prophet is higher than any marja' and their fatwas. We all have brains to see it for ourselves. Following scholars blindly is haram. 

Wassalam. 

Please sisters, I seek forgiveness for prying on this thread. How ever I must reply to this senseless post as it may lead others astray.

On 3/17/2014 at 12:38 PM, robbenmessi1010 said:

If there is a narration by the prophet saying it's haram, then it's haram. Even if it's from Sunni books like Sahih Bukhari. The prophet is higher than any marja' and their fatwas. We all have brains to see it for ourselves. Following scholars blindly is haram. 

Wassalam. 

Brother, do you realize how much of their hadiths are corrupt and man made? Just because a hadith says Muhammad A.S said "...." doesnt make it true. You are telling us to use our brains yet you are telling us to listen to you and follow books whom the narrators despised/cursed/hurt the ahlul bayt and its shias? Not only that, but the insanely disgusting narrations that are present in sunni ahadith? The same narrators accuse Muhammad A.S of being bewitched and contemplating suicide astagfirullah...Come on! Our Marja make decisions by deriving the answer through the narrations of Muhammad A.S and his blessed family A.S. It is clearly not followed blindly when first of all, it is a commanded by our prophets and imams to follow those whom have knowledge, and two, we used our brains to follow a marja.

I'm guessing this guy's not too popular among the Shias either?

No he's not. We reject his authenticity of ahadith. He was an enemy of the Ahlul Bayt (as). I know you're a fresh Shia, insh'Allah you will learn slowly..stick around. Also, avoid sunni websites, most of them are very misleading. This is a good website for research, it has some good content: http://www.al-islam.org/

I saw in your other thread that one of your favourite speaker was that abu mussab clown, he's a fitna creater shia hater. So I'll just list some prominent english shia speakers here, youtube their lectures.

-Sheikh hamza sodagar

-Qazwini brothers

-Hasnain Rajabali

-Sheikh usama al atar
-Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi 

-Sayyid ammar nakshawani

-Sayed mahdi modarressi

-Sheikh muhammad hilli

-Sayid Ali raza rizvi (my fav)

and many more ofc..google them

No he's not. We reject his authenticity of ahadith. He was an enemy of the Ahlul Bayt (as). I know you're a fresh Shia, insh'Allah you will learn slowly..stick around. Also, avoid sunni websites, most of them are very misleading. This is a good website for research, it has some good content: http://www.al-islam.org/

I saw in your other thread that one of your favourite speaker was that abu mussab clown, he's a fitna creater shia hater. So I'll just list some prominent english shia speakers here, youtube their lectures.

-Sheikh hamza sodagar

-Qazwini brothers

-Hasnain Rajabali

-Sheikh usama al atar
-Sayyid Muhammad Rizvi 

-Sayyid ammar nakshawani

-Sayed mahdi modarressi

-Sheikh muhammad hilli

-Sayid Ali raza rizvi (my fav)

and many more ofc..google them

And you have to add one of the most knowledgeable  one; Sheikh Mohammad Ali Shomali.

o its not haram to wear hair extensions but wajib to wear hijab! i.e. covering the hair and chest! no compulsion on that

oops correction : compulsion should be *compromise* , we cant select things and leave out allahs commands , to what pleases us.

On 3/17/2014 at 8:14 AM, aliyah21 said:

Recently I got my hair cut in an extreme v-shape in the back with a lot of layers and bangs. Now it looks really thin from the bottom. My hair goes up to my hips, and I'm sure you know that the longer your hair is, the thinner it looks from the bottom... I was thinking of buying hair extensions for an upcoming wedding. I'm only getting the long extensions that blend in with the longest-length of hair to make it look as thick as it was before; I'm not adding in extensions for aesthetic reasons such as having more volume or a longer length. Plus I'll only be wearing extensions when it's just women, otherwise I'd be wearing my hijab. So in this case, is it haram? 

Dear, why would it be haram? Haram is to steal, commit adultery, or to cover your hair and not wear conservative clothes. Now that is haram! Not simply wearing extensions in front of other women. As long as you cover your hair and dress properly in front of other men, it should be alright.

While I agree we have to be careful with what we do, I suggest we think about the logics behind most of the things we do rather than just jumping into obviously complicated and over-exaggerated scholar claims. God gave us a brain and we can use it. No need to over-complicate the matter.

As salam aleikum

Question: 

What is the ruling concerning a woman wearing hair extensions?. 

Answer: 

It is haraam (prohibited) for a woman to lead either using real hair extensions that look real or authentic evidence by mentioning the ban. 

And with Allah Ta'ala is successful and that Allah Ta'ala send prayers and greetings upon our Prophet sallallahu alayhi wa sallam and his family and companions. Amin.

I don`t think wearing a hair extension is illegal. In the wedding ceremony it is normal for you to make yourself more beautiful with different hair styles with extensions.  If wearing a hair extension is effective then you can just have try. Have you decide which hair style you want to use in the wedding ceremony? actually I guess the kind of paper waves can make you more gently. 

On 10/30/2017 at 10:46 PM, rebeccaair said:

I don`t think wearing a hair extension is illegal. In the wedding ceremony it is normal for you to make yourself more beautiful with different hair styles with extensions.  If wearing a hair extension is effective then you can just have try. Have you decide which hair style you want to use in the wedding ceremony? actually I guess the kind of paper waves can make you more gently. 

The real queation is not about hair extensions, but about who you can show it to in what situation? Is the wedding mixed or gender segregated? If it is segregated and there is a physical barrier such that men and women cannot see each other then you can show your hair and whatever extensions are on it to women only. Also you can show it to your spouse if you are married but only in your home. But apart from these contexts you must wear hijab that covers all your hair and it's extensions. Although scholars disagree on hair that is attached to one's forehead, with some saying that hair can be shown. But hair extensions on your forehead hair still cannot be seen, only your forehead hair.