Sign in to follow this  
~RuQaYaH~

The Great Asylum Seeker Debate

Salam guys,

As you know asylum seekers and 'boat people' are a very hot topic in Australia right now and were one of the main (possibly the main) pre-election campaign issues. Unfortunately, there is alot of misinformation and wilfully deceptive politics going on. The latest issue in the wider asylum seeker debate is that the government reintroduced temporary protection visas in October and then on Monday Labor and the Greens teamed up to get rid of temporary protection visas in the Senate. Immigration Minister Scott Morrison then got angry so among other things he decided he would stop granting protection visas altogether for this financial year. The Coalition are likely to try and reintroduce temporary protection visas when the new Senate kicks in in July next year. Amid all the drama and politics, I think alot of the  humanity aswell as the actual facts on the issue have been lost. The other day I watched an amazing documentary called Mary meets Mohammad which is about an elderly pensioner from Tasmania who is initially anti-asylum seeker and anti-Muslim going on to build an unlikely friendship with a young Hazara asylum seeker. It's an amazing doco and it's being screened right across Australia and shows the human side of the issue. It also addresses some of the misconceptions about asylum seekers. I would highly recommend y'all to watch it. Here is the website which has the trailer and has details of nationwide screenings:

http://www.marymeetsmohammad.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YL9sCjK4cy8

here is an interview with the film maker

Salam guys,

As you know asylum seekers and 'boat people' are a very hot topic in Australia right now and were one of the main (possibly the main) pre-election campaign issues. Unfortunately, there is alot of misinformation and wilfully deceptive politics going on. The latest issue in the wider asylum seeker debate is that the government reintroduced temporary protection visas in October and then on Monday Labor and the Greens teamed up to get rid of temporary protection visas in the Senate. Immigration Minister Scott Morrison then got angry so among other things he decided he would stop granting protection visas altogether for this financial year. The Coalition are likely to try and reintroduce temporary protection visas when the new Senate kicks in in July next year. Amid all the drama and politics, I think alot of the  humanity aswell as the actual facts on the issue have been lost. The other day I watched an amazing documentary called Mary meets Mohammad which is about an elderly pensioner from Tasmania who is initially anti-asylum seeker and anti-Muslim going on to build an unlikely friendship with a young Hazara asylum seeker. It's an amazing doco and it's being screened right across Australia and shows the human side of the issue. It also addresses some of the misconceptions about asylum seekers. I would highly recommend y'all to watch it. Here is the website which has the trailer and has details of nationwide screenings:

http://www.marymeetsmohammad.com

The australian govt have a choice of letting the asylum seekers in freely and then restricting them to a certain part of their country. After all, australia has many regions which are mostly uninhabited.

If they can manage restricting the immigrants to these areas away from the urban areas, there should be no problem for them to take as many asylum seekers as they come.

------------

Why is it that they (the australians) occupy a huge part of the world and not allow anyone else to come there (While being so few in number)?

Australia can designate a particular part of their country for immigrants. They have plenty of land and resources.

Edited by alisayyed