As-Sallamu-Alaykom,

I hope you all know how embarrassed I am to even ask this question, but for some reason, small things in Spanish are proving difficult for me to learn.

For instance: ''en economia como en politica, los eventos en latinoamerico a menudo han tomado por sorpresa a los observadores''

Am I right in my translations: changes in the economic and political structures of Latin America have surprised those observing it?

I have trouble understanding how to understand the ''como'' in between ''en economia como en politica'',

I take it to mean, ''in economics and well as in politics, the changes taking place in latin America are . . . .''

Thank you for helping me with this.

I really appreciate all of your help.

May Allah bless you amen.

Edited by Seeker_Of_God

translate.google.com

For the love of God, no. :P

OP, its a shame my parents were unwilling to invest time in teaching their children their native tongues (Spanish and Portuguese). If they did, I'd be more than willing to assist you, good Sir! Good luck with your future endeavours! Never be ashamed to ask questions!

Edited by Ali Musaaa :)

Wa alikum alsalam,

I am a beginner in learning Spanish.

All I can help you with some good websites that I use , here are the links:

https://app.fluencia.com/

http://www.spanishdict.com/

http://www.studyspanish.com/

http://www.edgering.org/spanish-verbs/

Also, you can read about the uses of the word that you are asking about here"Como":

http://www.spanishdict.com/translate/como

I hope this helps.

As-Sallamu-Alaykom everyone,

Thank you for providing links to the site. I will take a look at them, except Google translate. I really want to become proficient in Spanish, but even though I'm starting out (a  month or so), I don't want to cheat the system.

Thank you Zahra, I'll save those links, and good luck on your own studies.

"en economia como en politica"  .... the literal translation of "como" in this context is "like" ... as in "He is acting like a liberal secular fool" "Rohani is just like Khatami/Rafsanjani" "Obama is like Bush" "OMG it's like so awesome" "that's like saying ...." etc.  ... so, the literal translation of the phrase would be "In economics like in politics" ... however, in English it would make better sense to translate it as  "In economics as in politics... " 

Edited by skylight2

Salaam Brother,

Perhaps one of the ways to word this sentence: 'in economics and well as in politics, the changes taking place in Latin America are . . . .''

would be like so:

" En la economia igual que la politica los cambios que estan ocurriendo en America Latina son..."

source: Spanish is my native language

As-Sallamu-Alaykom,

I hope you all know how embarrassed I am to even ask this question, but for some reason, small things in Spanish are proving difficult for me to learn.

For instance: ''en economia como en politica, los eventos en latinoamerico a menudo han tomado por sorpresa a los observadores''

Am I right in my translations: changes in the economic and political structures of Latin America have surprised those observing it?

I have trouble understanding how to understand the ''como'' in between ''en economia como en politica'',

I take it to mean, ''in economics and well as in politics, the changes taking place in latin America are . . . .''

Thank you for helping me with this.

I really appreciate all of your help.

May Allah bless you amen.

Assalamu 3laykom  I  speak spanish fluently my origin is mexican ^_^ 

Yes, the phrase means  In economics as well was in politics, the events in Latin America often take observers ( experts) by surprise !  

it should be latinoamerica though not latinoamerico lol !   and  in my view,  it sounds better to say  en economia tanto como en politics   "tanto como" is the fixed expression that means "as well as" in english  

En el nombre de Dios

Assalamu alaikum

Quiero practicar español más, especialmente en hablar y escribir, pero no sé como :/

También no conozco gente que pueden hablar español perfectamente.

Hay ideas o ayudar como practico español?

Muchas gracias^^

Wassalam

En el nombre de Dios

Assalamu alaikum

Quiero practicar español más, especialmente en hablar y escribir, pero no sé como :/

Muchas gracias^^

Wassalam

w alaykumsalam

Porque no mira el canal de hispantv.com, o RT en espanol, lea noticias, o ahi mismo hay muchas series y peliculas en espanol, o si quiere conversar pues digame eres hermana o hermano?

En el nombre de Dios

Assalamu alaikum

Muchas gracias^^

Wassalam

Oh perdon ya vi que eres hermana :) creo que todavia no puedes mandar mensaje privado por tu falta de posts pero mientras tanto y cumples tus 50 posts podemos platicar por aqui :)

En que pais vives?

En el nombre de alá

Assalamu alaikum

Miro ese canal en YouTube, pero no entiendo mucho, solo las informaciones en general.

Aprendí español desde hace 2-3años.

Sí soy una hermana :)

Pobre mí :D No sé que escribir aquí para tener 50 posts ^.^

Vivo en Alemania. ¿Y tú?

Wassalam

"ya Mahdi..."