Sign in to follow this  
GothicShia

Sydney/melbourne! Wasssssupppp!

Salam Alaikum guys,

( Ahhh!!!! its been a long time....) :)

So here it goes....

Me and my family are coming to Sydney and Melbourne in some months for two to three weeks to do our first landing. Can any of of you guys suggest anything about what to do there and where to go. Any good places to stay that are reasonable and if possible close to any good shia centers. i heard there was an Imam Ali mosque in Sydney. I got a list of our momin businesses from here so that's one help.

Also, from the link it seems there is a lot of wahabism in Sydney, is it? how is Melbourne in that regards. Where is the community more strong and more dynamic. I know from living in US for 7 years that there are some dead centers and some are really working towards something, usually depends on the resident scholar or alim. i know I wont be able to do anything in the two three weeks but it wont hurt to take a look at them.

As with every city there are some areas where you shouldn't go. Are there any areas that I should avoid.

on a side note: how is Australia with respect to dress code at workplace or professional interviews. US is quite easy going, esp in IT you can even wear jeans. If i go to an interview do i need to wear a jacket or a suit (in US it was mostly telephonic interviews, even in face to face interviews i wore it only once)

Yeh !!! i know its kinda lot of questions in one small post.. but any help would be appreciated. And if there has been a thread like this (which I know there might be some) you can post it to me as well.

So help me out here Aussies

Thanks

Gothic...

Salam Alaikum guys,

Also, from the link it seems there is a lot of wahabism in Sydney, is it? how is Melbourne in that regards.

As with every city there are some areas where you shouldn't go. Are there any areas that I should avoid.

I'm not from Australia but the link below will be of some help. There are a lot of brothers here from Aussie land, they'll in'sha Allah sort you out. Be safe and much luck for your interviews.

http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php?/topic/235013699-trouble-suburbs-in-australia/

Salam Alaikum guys,

So here it goes....

Me and my family are coming to Sydney and Melbourne in some months for two to three weeks to do our first landing. Can any of of you guys suggest anything about what to do there and where to go. Any good places to stay that are reasonable and if possible close to any good shia centers. i heard there was an Imam Ali mosque in Sydney. I got a list of our momin businesses from here so that's one help.

Also, from the link it seems there is a lot of wahabism in Sydney, is it? how is Melbourne in that regards. Where is the community more strong and more dynamic. I know from living in US for 7 years that there are some dead centers and some are really working towards something, usually depends on the resident scholar or alim. i know I wont be able to do anything in the two three weeks but it wont hurt to take a look at them.

on a side note: how is Australia with respect to dress code at workplace or professional interviews. US is quite easy going, esp in IT you can even wear jeans. If i go to an interview do i need to wear a jacket or a suit (in US it was mostly telephonic interviews, even in face to face interviews i wore it only once)

Yeh !!! i know its kinda lot of questions in one small post.. but any help would be appreciated. And if there has been a thread like this (which I know there might be some) you can post it to me as well.

Thanks

Gothic...

Salam Alaikum guys,

So here it goes....

welcome to AUS! . if you want the shia mosque, its called AL Zahra Mosque in Arncliff, but dont know about the imam ali mosque being sunni or shia, i'll have to ask because my dad said it was sunni. but yea i'll ask inshallah

http://www.al-emaan.org/newcomservices.htm

yea there is a lot of wahabis in sydney, just avoid Bankstown area usually they are there. but they shouldnt cause you any trouble, no one can do anything here, the police have good control anyways. so dont worry you are safe :P. lol your second question is hard, i think Arncliff is pretty active at Al zahra mosque, the majority in that area are lebanese shia. then you have auburn, mostly iraqis and there is also a shia mosque in campbelltown 'Al mahdi mosque' but thats pretty quiet. there are a few centres which are active with weekly programs, you have

Nabi Akram in granville - http://www.nabiakram.org.au/

Imam hussain centre - http://www.ihic.org.au/

we dont have ghettos or anything like that lol. i guess avoid the places where there is less muslims like cronulla, bondi, mostly where the beaches around that area ( you do not want to go those areas in summer :no: thank god its winter) . its a very rich area and hardly any muslims there.

definitely a suit!! everything is formal here when it comes to work lol, you wear casual and thats a rejection straight away. focus on formal because aussies are very strict on the rules and stuff, they dont like being laid back or anything like that

Thanks

Gothic...

Its ok, i hope that answered your questions, if you need anything just ask, but i can only tell you about sydney tho, never been to melbourne. :)

Salam All,

Thanks floating, really appreciate it. you gave a very detailed and helpful response jazak Allah .. I will wear my short pajamas when i go to banks town and give an evil pirate like frown just to be more salafi looking. (i wonder why dont they come to saudi arabia, KSA would welcome these ppl so much i guess lol... )

Suit()? dam it i dont like wearing a suit :dry: I guess i just have to grow up some day :D

thank you inquisitor for posting the link.

Also, it is a general question for ppl in Auusie Land.. why do you like your city why do you like Australia in general. i just want to know why would you want to live there and what are the problems there what do u like and dislike about Aussie Land...

Thanks for your replies

Gothic...

Salam All,

Thanks floating, really appreciate it. you gave a very detailed and helpful response jazak Allah .. I will wear my short pajamas when i go to banks town and give an evil pirate like frown just to be more salafi looking. (i wonder why dont they come to saudi arabia, KSA would welcome these ppl so much i guess lol... )

Suit()? dam it i dont like wearing a suit :dry: I guess i just have to grow up some day :D

thank you inquisitor for posting the link.

Also, it is a general question for ppl in Auusie Land.. why do you like your city why do you like Australia in general. i just want to know why would you want to live there and what are the problems there what do u like and dislike about Aussie Land...

Thanks for your replies

Gothic...

welcome, lool yes you do that :P

you can just dress in pants and a shirt like this

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-CIDRD6wwcK4/UDR8KDF4ZFI/AAAAAAAAAEA/l3Jly-pt2IE/s1600/4.jpg

which is still formal and acceptable. lool yes formal wear is annoying :P

Australia is an awesome place to live, everything is great here, security, low crimes (compared to other countries), multiculturism, more tolerance than anywhere else (in my opinion), clean, advanced technologies, emphasis on human rights and safety, lots of laws that prevent a lot of issues. best country in the world. government doesnt neglect people in need, everyone that has moderate to low income usually receives allowance from the government fortnightly to spend, medications are discounted, medicare pays for most medical expenses and all visits to the doctor etc. all in all very comfortable to live in.

Sydney for obvious reasons is the biggest city and has everything, thats why its the best place to live compared to other cities. i havent been anywhere else lol, so i wouldnt know, but personally sydney is the best, a good muslim community and all needs and wants are catered for here.

the downside of australia, especially sydney, is that its one of the most expensive cities in the world. it sucks because you pay three times the price for everything. like compared to america, sooo expensive!! tax is another downside, basically from 30% to 50% of your earnings would go to tax depending on your income, and also everything you buy has GST, which is an additional 10% of that products price added onto its RRP.

Laws here are very strict as well, good thing of course because it puts a limit to everything people do, but sometimes get annoying because there are so many restrictions. one bad thing about sydney is that its limited in theme parks lol

but overall its the place to be :P

hope it helps, and if you need anything just ask :P

Edited by floating

Salam u alaykom,

In sha Allah I'm moving to Melbourne. My work place will be in North Sunshine, and I wanna rely on pulic transport and not buy a car. And also I wanna be in a muslim area so I can see lots of muslims around me when doing shoping, etc.

do you think Coburg is an ideal place for me?
by the way, I'm in sha Allah planning to buy not rent!

jazakomollaho khairan

assalam u alaykom