Divorce

19 replies to this topic

#1 LZAA

LZAA
  • Basic Members
  • 21 posts
  • Religion:Muslim

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:28 PM

I was just wondering; is it haram for a man or woman to keep pictures of their wedding or any pictures from their life together after they get divorced? Wedding pictures, family pictures, or intimate pictures of them both?

Thank you!

#2 Akbar673

Akbar673

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,121 posts
  • Religion:12er Ithna Asheri Shia

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:48 PM

I was just wondering; is it haram for a man or woman to keep pictures of their wedding or any pictures from their life together after they get divorced? Wedding pictures, family pictures, or intimate pictures of them both?

Thank you!

I'd toss em all in the trash. Your life with that person is over. Move on and find someone new. Obviously, life couldn't have been that good with that person since you got a divorce. Why hold on to useless memories that will do nothing but depress you?

In fact, it might make you feel better to sit there and light em on fire and watch em burn...lol. (Sorry, don't mean to make fun of your situation but tell me you wouldn't enjoy watching it all burn)
  • Ali-Reza and Enchanted like this

#3 OsamaHatum

OsamaHatum

Ayatollah Osama Hatum

• Banned
  • 30 posts
  • Religion:Islam
  • Interests:The shirk of the Sunnis is worse than the shirk of the Hindus

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:50 PM

I'd toss em all in the trash. Your life with that person is over. Move on and find someone new. Obviously, life couldn't have been that good with that person since you got a divorce. Why hold on to useless memories that will do nothing but depress you?

In fact, it might make you feel better to sit there and light em on fire and watch em burn...lol. (Sorry, don't mean to make fun of your situation but tell me you wouldn't enjoy watching it all burn)

He was talking about from a halal haram standpoint, whether it's okay to keep pictures of otherwise haram pictures of a person you used to be married to.

#4 hameedeh

hameedeh

Emeritus Guest since 2002

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,091 posts
  • Religion:Shia Islam
  • Interests:www.al-islam.org/
    www.khamenei.ir/
    www.leader.ir/

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:52 PM

Thank you!

(bismillah)
(salam)

Keep the wedding and family photos, but do not look at them. What if the couple get back together again? They would want the photos. Intimate photos? Maybe those should be destroyed.

Does the couple have children? They need photos of both of their parents and other family members, to keep and remember their family.

When time has passed by and if one of them marries someone else, the wedding and family photos should not be in the home, because the new spouse would be upset about it. Photos on the computer should be deleted, too, if positively sure they will not marry each other again.
  • Marbles, forte, Abu Izrael and 1 other like this

#5 LZAA

LZAA
  • Basic Members
  • 21 posts
  • Religion:Muslim

Posted 12 February 2013 - 05:57 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)

Keep the wedding and family photos, but do not look at them. What if the couple get back together again? They would want the photos. Intimate photos? Maybe those should be destroyed.

Does the couple have children? They need photos of both of their parents and other family members, to keep and remember their family.

When time has passed by and if one of them marries someone else, the wedding and family photos should not be in the home, because the new spouse would be upset about it. Photos on the computer should be deleted, too, if positively sure they will not marry each other again.

So it's not haram to have photos of a man who isn't muhrum to you anymore and as for the man...these pictures will obviously be with the ex-wife without hijab.

Edited by LZAA, 12 February 2013 - 05:58 PM.

• hameedeh likes this

#6 hameedeh

hameedeh

Emeritus Guest since 2002

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,091 posts
  • Religion:Shia Islam
  • Interests:www.al-islam.org/
    www.khamenei.ir/
    www.leader.ir/

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:18 PM

So it's not haram to have photos of a man who isn't muhrum to you anymore and as for the man...these pictures will obviously be with the ex-wife without hijab.

(bismillah)
(salam)

Because your profile says you are woman, I answered from the woman's point of view. The woman has the photos, not the man. Why would he divorce the woman and take her photos to keep? Usually it is the man who is asking for a divorce and it would be the woman who is keeping the photos and wanting to get back together again. Haram to keep namahram photos? I said keep them for a while but do not look at them. Just in case the couple gets married to each other again. If I knew that your question was not a real problem for you or someone you know, I would not have answered. Maybe you can ask your resident alim or your marja.
  • Sapphire and mohammad_mahdi like this

#7 Ali-Reza

Ali-Reza

Fadaye Hossein (as)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  • Religion:Islam - Shia
  • Interests:Salavat & Tasbihat, reading, & learning...oh ya good food :)

Posted 12 February 2013 - 06:30 PM

After my last quick marriage, I put all her pictures and stuff in a box then mailed it back to her and wished her best of luck and made duas for her. She already had a boy friend ;)

Put them all behind you keep nothing but next wedding pictures ;)
  • :Ruffles, Enchanted and Naruto like this

#8 Mommin

Mommin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

Do you seriously think that a couple who divorced will remarry again?
I have never seen this happen especially in this generation, because divorce usually brings much pain and heartache and most do not want memories of this.

#9 reckless.spouse

reckless.spouse

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 10:42 PM

Why must every thing this minute be about haram or halal ? If you're divorced, just chuck them. Or WinZip.
  • Ali-Reza likes this

#10 Marbles

Marbles

Bohemian

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,994 posts
  • Religion:Mussalman
  • Interests:Pickwick Papers

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:12 PM

Why must every thing this minute be about haram or halal ? If you're divorced, just chuck them. Or WinZip.

Or if he is fond of his wedding pics, he can just keep them somewhere safe till he no longer needs them, emotionally speaking. What does it matter if his ex-wife is in hijab or not? Come on people, that woman was once his wife, who he spent good time with and probably had babies too. So is he going to have to remove those fond memories from his brains because she is no longer "mahram" to him?

As for intimate pictures, they shouldn't have been taken in the first place let alone looked at after divorce. They should be destroyed immediately for the good of one and all.
  • Hot hot likes this

#11 Abu Hadi

Abu Hadi

• Mods
  • 3,961 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 02:02 PM

As for intimate pictures, they shouldn't have been taken in the first place let alone looked at after divorce. They should be destroyed immediately for the good of one and all.

I agree. I don't see what someone would get out of looking at pictures of someone when they have the actual live, living breathing, person available to them. Doesn't make sense.
Also, there is a possibility that these pictures could fall into the wrong hands. Many celebrity and non celebrity examples of this.
If you don't have the living, breathing person available to you, then you shouldn't be looking at intimate pictures of them.
I don't know if it's haram or not (if there your ex), but it's not a good idea.
Get rid of the intimate pictures and save the family pictures, especially if these contain pictures of your kids and others you would like to remember.
As for those you'd like to forget, there's always Photoshop or GIMP. Move on with your life.
There are many brothers and sisters who wouldn't mind marrying a divorcee. Salam.

Edited by Abu Hadi, 18 February 2013 - 02:04 PM.

• Dhulfikar, Marbles, Zahra1 and 1 other like this

#12 *Sayyeda*

*Sayyeda*

Healer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 05:22 PM

Well, because if it is haraam to keep the photos, then it would be a sin to keep them. Therefore its not about the social implications but also the religious.
Perhaps you need to be reminded you are on a religious forum.

#13 reckless.spouse

reckless.spouse

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:10 PM

Well, because if it is haraam to keep the photos, then it would be a sin to keep them. Therefore its not about the social implications but also the religious.
Perhaps you need to be reminded you are on a religious forum.

Why is it Haram if the pictures are in Hijab and appropriate?

I dont see any reason why that merits a reminder about being on a religious forum.

#14 siraatoaliyinhaqqun

siraatoaliyinhaqqun

Abd Ali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,617 posts
  • Religion:12 Aimma masomeen a.s
  • Interests:Loving Mohammad wa Aale Mohammad

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:10 AM

I would argue why take intimate pictures and videos at all? No one has privacy these days. Your computer, laptop, pad, camera, and mobile are all accessible and a click away from bad people.

Even the most decent pics are photo shopped and misused on YouTube and other websites by someone who is your enemy or a partner who can become an enemy. I have personally heard about blackmailing by ex partners or by partners who are abusive.

I personally don't believe in taking anyone's PIC in my family or my own and wish to live in the present and keep my photogenic memory of my brain active when I miss someone.

#15 Darth Vader

Darth Vader

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,277 posts
  • Interests:Tutbir and Nihari

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:54 AM

I think its up to you. Keep them as a reminder that all good moments are fleeting and do not last or perhaps that small mistakes lead to big disasters.

#16 *Sayyeda*

*Sayyeda*

Healer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:04 AM

Why is it Haram if the pictures are in Hijab and appropriate?

I dont see any reason why that merits a reminder about being on a religious forum.

Firstly, even if the pictures are hijab friendly, that's not to say looking at them will not lead to haraam thoughts.

The OP asked a genuine question about whether something is haraam or halal and you replied saying it doesn't matter if it is haraam or halal.

#17 reckless.spouse

reckless.spouse

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

Firstly, even if the pictures are hijab friendly, that's not to say looking at them will not lead to haraam thoughts.

The OP asked a genuine question about whether something is haraam or halal and you replied saying it doesn't matter if it is haraam or halal.

You're assuming that a picture even with Hijab 'will' lead to Haram thoughts. Since there is no guarantee to support either side of that argument, your assumption is baseless.

Perhaps you need to be reminded about the negative impacts of assumptions in Islam, but I know better than to use religion to whip people in public. Never works, especially if you want them to understand and appreciate the beauty of this religion.

#18 *Sayyeda*

*Sayyeda*

Healer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:58 PM

You're assuming that a picture even with Hijab 'will' lead to Haram thoughts. Since there is no guarantee to support either side of that argument, your assumption is baseless.

Perhaps you need to be reminded about the negative impacts of assumptions in Islam, but I know better than to use religion to whip people in public. Never works, especially if you want them to understand and appreciate the beauty of this religion.

I'm not assuming anything of the sort, I merely pointed out the possibilities. As for being an ambassador for Islam, perhaps you should remember the importance of Akhlaaq when showing the beauty of Islam.
I don't wish to derail this topic any further as this is unconstructive to those who wish to learn whether it is infact haraam to keep pictures of an ex partner.
Wa Salaam

#19 ashiamuslimbrother

ashiamuslimbrother

• Unregistered
  • PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 23 February 2013 - 04:09 PM

Salam u alaykom,

As a divorced brother, my advise is that the best is to put them right in the bin and delet your past, underwise you will suffer emotionally!

Assalam u alaykom

#20 dreams990

dreams990

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 109 posts
  • Religion:Lover of Muhammad and aal Muhammad

Posted 24 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

To help you move on, you need to destroy the pixs. Destroy anything that will remind u of the guy. Delete his mobile number, all his sms, all his emails. DONT EVER thing that he will come back because this is a hindrance to ur recovery. Dont wait for anything from him. He is over. Slowly he will be wiped from your memory inshalla. Dont forget to ask Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì to help you forget him and get u a better person.

Talking from personal experience with a "potential" which hamdulla a million times that it didnt work out. Offcourse I was depressed at first but Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì has been so kind and merciful to me that if I write the story about Allah's ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì mercy and how he saved me from that guy it will put everyone in AWE and tears. I promise you..

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users