Al-Hussayni

Did Imam Ali (As) Send La'nah On The 3 Caliphs?

Rate this topic

[ 7979 ] 2 ـ محمّد بن إدريس في آخر ( السرائر ) نقلاً من كتاب محمّد بن علي بن محبوب ، عن محمّد بن الحسين ، عن الحسن بن علي بن فضّال ، عن أبي إسحاق ثعلبة ، عن عبد الله بن هلال ، عن أبي عبد الله ( عليه السلام ) ـ في حديث ـ قال : إنّ رسول الله ( صلّى الله عليه واله ) قد قنت ودعا على قوم بأسمائهم وأسماء آبائهم وعشائرهم وفعله علي ( عليه السلام ) بعده.

2 – Muhammad b. Idris in the end of as-Sara’ir transmitting from the book of Muhammad b. `Ali b. Mahbub from Muhammad b. al-Husayn from al-Hasan b. `Ali b. Faddal from Abu Ishaq Tha`laba from `Abdullah b. Hilal from Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام in a hadith wherein he said: The Messenger of Allah صلّى الله عليه وآله had done qunut and supplicated against a group with their names and the names of their fathers and their tribes, and `Ali عليه السلام did it after him.

http://www.*******.org/hadiths/salat/qunut/chapter-13

وبه قال: حدّثنا محمد بن منصور، قال: حدّثنا أبو هشام الرفاعي، قال: حدّثنا أبو بكر بن عياش، عن الأعمش، عن عبد الله بن خالد العبسي، عن عبد الرحمن بن مَعْقِل: أن علياً -عليه السلام-، كان يقنت في المغرب، ويلعن في قنوته رجالاً سمَّاهم.

Muhammad b. Mansur narrated to us. He said: Abu Hisham ar-Rifa`i narrated to us. He said: Abu Bakr b. `Ayyash narrated to us from al-A`mash from `Abdullah b. Khalid al-`Abasi from `Abd ar-Rahman b. Ma`qil that `Ali عليه السلام would do qunut in the maghrib, and curse men in his qunut naming them.

وبه قال: حدّثنا محمد بن منصور، قال: حدّثنا عثمان بن أبي شيبة، عن جرير، عن مغيرة، عن إبراهيم: أن علياً -عليه السلام-، كان يقنت في المغرب والفجر، ويدعو على أعدائه.

Muhammad b. Mansur narrated to us. He said: `Uthman b. Abi Shayba narrated to us from Jarir from Mughira from Ibrahim that `Ali عليه السلام would do qunut in the maghrib and the fajr, and supplicate against his enemies.

http://www.*******.org/hadiths/zaydi-hadiths/amali-ahmad-b-isa/salat

^^ doesn't mention the three caliphs

(salam)

Did Imam Ali (as), either openly or privately send la'nah on the 3 caliphs, aisha or muawiyah? I'm discussing with a sunni about this & he would like references from both Shia/Sources.

Please share your thoughts!

Waleykum Salaam,

No he never cursed the three caliphs or Aisha (ra).

In Shia book Nahjul Balagha, Ali (ra) said about Umar (ra):

"May Allah reward such and such man (*) who straightened the curve, cured the disease, abandoned mischief and established the sunnah. He departed (from this world) with untarnished clothes and little shortcomings. He achieved good (of this world) and remained safe from its evils. He offered Allah's obedience and feared Him as He deserved. He went away and left the people in dividing ways wherein the misled cannot obtain guidance and the guided cannot attain certainty."

(*) Ibn Abi'l-Hadid has written (in Sharh Nahj al-balaghah, vol. 14, pp. 3-4) that the reference here is to the second Caliph `Umar, and that these sentences have been uttered in his praise as indicated by the word '`Umar' written under the word 'such and such' in as-Sayyid ar-Radi's own hand in the manuscript of Nahj al-balaghah written by him.

[ 7979 ] 2 ـ محمّد بن إدريس في آخر ( السرائر ) نقلاً من كتاب محمّد بن علي بن محبوب ، عن محمّد بن الحسين ، عن الحسن بن علي بن فضّال ، عن أبي إسحاق ثعلبة ، عن عبد الله بن هلال ، عن أبي عبد الله ( عليه السلام ) ـ في حديث ـ قال : إنّ رسول الله ( صلّى الله عليه واله ) قد قنت ودعا على قوم بأسمائهم وأسماء آبائهم وعشائرهم وفعله علي ( عليه السلام ) بعده.

2 – Muhammad b. Idris in the end of as-Sara’ir transmitting from the book of Muhammad b. `Ali b. Mahbub from Muhammad b. al-Husayn from al-Hasan b. `Ali b. Faddal from Abu Ishaq Tha`laba from `Abdullah b. Hilal from Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام in a hadith wherein he said: The Messenger of Allah صلّى الله عليه وآله had done qunut and supplicated against a group with their names and the names of their fathers and their tribes, and `Ali عليه السلام did it after him.

http://www.tashayyu....unut/chapter-13

وبه قال: حدّثنا محمد بن منصور، قال: حدّثنا أبو هشام الرفاعي، قال: حدّثنا أبو بكر بن عياش، عن الأعمش، عن عبد الله بن خالد العبسي، عن عبد الرحمن بن مَعْقِل: أن علياً -عليه السلام-، كان يقنت في المغرب، ويلعن في قنوته رجالاً سمَّاهم.

Muhammad b. Mansur narrated to us. He said: Abu Hisham ar-Rifa`i narrated to us. He said: Abu Bakr b. `Ayyash narrated to us from al-A`mash from `Abdullah b. Khalid al-`Abasi from `Abd ar-Rahman b. Ma`qil that `Ali عليه السلام would do qunut in the maghrib, and curse men in his qunut naming them.

وبه قال: حدّثنا محمد بن منصور، قال: حدّثنا عثمان بن أبي شيبة، عن جرير، عن مغيرة، عن إبراهيم: أن علياً -عليه السلام-، كان يقنت في المغرب والفجر، ويدعو على أعدائه.

Muhammad b. Mansur narrated to us. He said: `Uthman b. Abi Shayba narrated to us from Jarir from Mughira from Ibrahim that `Ali عليه السلام would do qunut in the maghrib and the fajr, and supplicate against his enemies.

http://www.tashayyu....mad-b-isa/salat

According to the historical reports which I'm sure you're aware of, Imam Ali cursed Muawiyah so these may be related to that. Any narrations of him cursing the first three caliphs explicitly?

Salam sending lanah on someone is not cursing by the way, the translations are not always accurate, sending lanah on someone means that oh Allah do not show mercy on this person on the day of jugement. So if u send lanah on yasid ur asking oh Allah don't show him mercy what so ever.

The quran does not curse it sends lanah, and it sends it upon hypocrites aswrll I think im not sure and as abu bakr and Omar pledge aligance to imam Ali (as) and then after the death of the holy prophet took the chilafa this then also includes them, as they are in that group if I'm not mistaken, Allah has all knowledge and knows everything.

Edited by Syed Hussain

[Shakir 2:159] Surely those who conceal the clear proofs and the guidance that We revealed after We made it clear in the Book for men, these it is whom Allah shall curse, and those who curse shall curse them (too).

[Pooya/Ali Commentary 2:159]

Those who withhold what has been revealed to them of the book, be they Jews (who knew the truth about the Holy Prophet - refer to verse 40, 75 to 79, 89 to 91, 101, 105, 109 and 124 of this surah; and the holy Kabah - Psalms 118: 22 and Matthew 21: 42) or be they the Muslim hypocrites (who know the true interpretation and application of verses - Ahzab: 33; Shura: 23; Nisa: 54 and 59; Ali Imran: 61 and 103;

Tawbah: I 19; Rad: 43, Hud: 17; and Ma-idah: 3, 55, 67 in connection with the event of Ghadir Khum) are cursed by Allah and by the angels and by those who follow His right path. In verses 86 and 87 of al Nisa also the angels and the believers join Allah to curse the wicked. In verse 56 of al Ahzab, Allah and His angels bless the Holy Prophet; and Allah commands the believers to send blessings on him. Unless we join Allah and His angels to curse the enemies of the Holy Prophet, our asking Allah for sending blessings on him will be incomplete. Therefore, the followers of Muhammad and Ali Muhammad bless the Holy Prophet and his Ahl ul Bayt and curse their enemies. Justice demands that we identify the devil as a devil, and curse him even if he is disguised in the garb of a Muslim like Yazid and others. Cursing and expression of dislike and disgust for any evil or evildoer is essential to remain on guard against wickedness, as has been made clear in the above-noted verse and verse 7 of al Fatihah, therefore, tabarra has been prescribed as one of the fundamentals of the religion. The Jews were most vehemently cursed by Musa for not observing all his commandments (Deut 28: 15-68).

With what I've quoted above, I'm curious how that sits with Khamenei's position of it being haram to disgrace the figures of the Sunni people. I read this fatwa recently via his website:

Q: What is the view of Your Eminence regarding what is found in media (satellite TV canals and internet) that is explicit insult and disgrace towards the wives of the Holy Prophet of Islam (S.W.A) using offensive language against her and charging her with things that throw her chastity and honor as a wife of the Nobel Prophet Muhammad (S.W.A) into question? It goes without saying that these behaviors have created great troubles within the Islamic Ummah and put the Muslims, especially the followers of Ahl al-Bayt (a.), in a state of stress.

A: It is ḥarām to disgrace the figures of our Sunni brothers, let alone charging the wife of the Prophet (peace be upon him and his household) with things that throw her chastity into question, rather, it is impossible for the wives of the prophets, especially those of the Master of the prophets, the great Messenger of Allah (S.W.A).

Ref: http://www.leader.ir/tree/index.php?catid=72 [Click on "The latest questions"]

Also, aren't the wives of Hzt Noah and Hzt Lut cursed in the Quran? Of course, the case of chastity is different, and to be honest, I've never heard any Shia call Aisha an unchaste woman and insult her on that basis. The lanat sent on her is on the basis that she went to war against Imam Ali [as].

Dont disgrace false gods of mushrikeen that they worship besides Allah, because they will disgrace your true God out of ignorance. 
Sura anaam ayat 108

Maybe the fatwa is given with accordance to this verse. 
However there is a difference between sending lanat and disgracing. 

On 12/6/2012 at 11:55 AM, Syed Hussain said:

Salam sending lanah on someone is not cursing by the way, the translations are not always accurate, sending lanah on someone means that oh Allah do not show mercy on this person on the day of jugement. So if u send lanah on yasid ur asking oh Allah don't show him mercy what so ever.

The quran does not curse it sends lanah, and it sends it upon hypocrites aswrll I think im not sure and as abu bakr and Omar pledge aligance to imam Ali (as) and then after the death of the holy prophet took the chilafa this then also includes them, as they are in that group if I'm not mistaken, Allah has all knowledge and knows everything.

God not showing mercy (God sending His wrath) is one of the meanings of "curse" in the English dictionary. 

WHAT ELSE could "curse" possibly mean (besides it being an act of using profane words???).  Obviously, no one reads la'nat to mean "the act of using profane words".  La'nat is only taken to mean one thing... and that is "curse".  Because to ask God to curse someone means to ask God to send down His wrath upon him or her.  And OBVIOUSLY, when you ask God to send down His wrath we are asking God not show His mercy upon that person.  

CURSE is the perfect translation!

I find it hilarious how Shia propagators/lecturers shy away from the word "curse" when trying to explain "la'nat".  

They say, "'la'nat' doesn't mean curse.... it means for God not to show His mercy..."  I always wonder why they do this!  Is this supposed make "la'nat" seem moe acceptable and less harsh?  

:):)

Edited by eThErEaL

On 12/4/2012 at 1:08 AM, Al-Hussayni said:

(salam)

Did Imam Ali (as), either openly or privately send la'nah on the 3 caliphs, aisha or muawiyah? I'm discussing with a sunni about this & he would like references from both Shia/Sources.

Please share your thoughts!

In Sahih Muslim, there is a clear hadith where Omar says that Amirul Muminin, Imam Ali as, considere that the first and the second Caliph of the saqifah are liars, etc. And the liars, as we know, are cursed by Allah, so they won't enter to Jannah.

The Holy Prophet (pbuh) said;
"May Allah curse Shaibah bin Rabia, Utba bin Rabia and on Umayya bin Khalaf.
Ref: Bukhari Kitab Al Haj Pg 260 published from Misr.

The Holy Prophet (pbuh) cursed the Hakam, father of Marwan  when marwan was in his loin (That is Marwan was not born till then).
Ref : Tarikhul Khulafa Pg 142.

Mohammad ibne AbuBakr  wrote a letter to muawiya in which he said to muawiya that;
"You are the accursed son of accursed  father.
Ref :    Murujuz Zahab V 6 Pg 69.

The Holy Prophet (pbuh) has cursed the one who eat the usury .
Ref :    Sahih muslim Pg 600 , 22 Kitab Al Musaqat  Ch 19  Ch  Babul La’an wa Aakelul Reba  wa mawkelah  H 4109 Published Berut Darus Sadir.
Kitab Sunane Abu Daud Pg 536.

The Holy Prophet (pbuh) said;
"Allah has cursed the one who give  or  take bribe.
Ref :    Musnad Ahmed ibne Hanbal  V 2 Pg 212
Musnad Abdullah ibne umraw  H 7000 published  Beirut  Darul Kutb Ilmiya.
Sunane Ibne Majah  Pg 369.

Thr Holy Prophet (pbuh) has cursed the one who separates father and the son and between brothers. (That is he cause disu6nity between them).
Ref :    Sunane Ibne Majah Pg 309.

“Allah , Angels and all men ‘s curse be on one who deprive anything of my rights or anything which was given to my progeny or disregard my wilayat”.
Ref :    Jam’ul  Jawame  V 3 Pg 339.
Kanzul Ummal  V 16 Pg 42

The Holy Prophet (pbuh) saw Abu Sufyan riding a camel, his son, Yazid, leading the camel, and Muawiya following the camel. He (pbuh) said;

"Allah’s curse be on the rider, the leader leading the camel and the follower."
Ref : Isabat fi Tamiz us Sahabah by Ibne Hajaz Asqalani V 5 Pg 480.
Tarikh-e-Tabari, vol. 11, pg. 357, Published in 284 AH.
Tarikhe-e-Abul Fida, vol. 2, pg. 57, Published in 238 AH.
Kitabo Siffin Nasr, pg. 247, Egypt.
Tazkerah al-Khawaas by Sibt Ibn Jauzi, pg. 115.

"When  you see son of Hakam ibne Abi Aas on the pulpit  like monkeys  and Allah has revealed for them this Ayat (surah Isra : 60) and in this 'Ayat Shajare Mal’oon' refers to Hakam and his sons."
Ref: Tafseere Aalusi V 4  regarding Surah Isra :  60.

Aisha said to Marwan Ibne Hakam;
“I have heard Holy Prophet (pbuh) say to your ancestors that 'You are Shajare Maloona (The accursed tree)  in Quran'.
Ref: Tafseere Fath  Al Qadeer Lish Shawkani V 4 .

"I am seeing son of Hakam ibne Abi Aas on the pulpit like apes and Allah has revealed the Ayat (surah Isra : 40) and in this ayat Shajare Maloona (The accursed tree) refers toHakam and his sons."

Aisha said to Marwan Ibne Hakam;
"I have heard  Holy Prophet (pbuh) say about your ancestors that You are Shajare Maloona (The accursed Tree)  in Quran."
Ref: Tafseere Durrul Mansoor by Suyuti .