why are dogs nijis and so hated in islam

#2 inalotofpain

inalotofpain

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Religion:Agnostic

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

They are not hated, they are just not permitted to be around the physical place where you pray. You wouldnt put a horse in the same spot where you pray do you?

Just wash up before you pray, if you have dogs just keep them way from the physical location of that prayer place. I think you should be fine.
  • Waiting for HIM likes this

#3 Striver forShia

Striver forShia
  • Basic Members
  • 9 posts
  • Religion:Muslim

Posted 01 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

I used to think dogs were hated and that they were najis, and I used to think that cats were clean and pure.

After asking around and a tiny bit of research, I realized it was all just cultural.

Cats and dogs make great pets, but they are both to be kept away from prayer areas.
Cat hairs are unclean.

#4 Shia_Debater

Shia_Debater

:)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,495 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 02 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

I used to think dogs were hated and that they were najis, and I used to think that cats were clean and pure.

After asking around and a tiny bit of research, I realized it was all just cultural.

Cats and dogs make great pets, but they are both to be kept away from prayer areas.
Cat hairs are unclean.

I don't know about cats, and I don't know about dogs being hated, but I know that dogs are najis.

#5 muslimah1207

muslimah1207
  • Basic Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 09 November 2012 - 01:49 PM

Salam...

Its good to read the open hearted views here about dogs. I think something is misunderstood when it comes to what Muhammad, pbuh, supposedly said about dogs. As for being "impure", anyone who has a dog knows they snoop around in ways that it is hygenic to wash anything they eat or drink from a few times.

I have a question. My cat is amazing about prayer. No matter how quiet I am when I pray, he shows up during salat. I don't know how he knows. It feels like he loves the power of the prayer or something. Does anyone else experience this with their pets.

Ya Salaam!
  • بعيد likes this

#6 Quranist

Quranist

Allah is first and final authority

• Banned
  • 2,211 posts
  • Religion:Worshiping GOD as prescribed in Al Quraan
  • Interests:Inviting people to HAQ and Business

Email : ceo@zamzamcapitals.com

Posted 10 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

if you think Quraan is your guide then this flyer must be useful to you...

http://www.misconcep...flyers/dogs.pdf

#7 mun3t

mun3t

Allah keeps His promise

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 377 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

The hatred, as already mentioned, is something rather cultural. However, the dogs are indeed impure, and the angels will not enter a house while this animal reside within.

There is narration that states: 'Once a hungry dog came to the Imam while he was eating. A companion of the Imam wanted to shoo it away. However, the Imam stopped the man and told him: 'Allah loves all his creature.' Then the Imam gave this poor animal some food.'

Unfortunately, which Imam it is, this servant of Allah, does not remember. Nevertheless, there is a good example in it.

#8 peace seeker

peace seeker

حبيب الله

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 10 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

for me as long as the dog doesn't sniff or lick me while i'm praying, or sit in front of my feet, i don't mind having a dog around.

people need to remember that the people going to hell ( majority of mankind / jinnkind according to quran or? ) are inferior and more nijis than any dog.

and if a person was to be thrown secluded into a little backyard, to live among his excrements in loneliness, this person will become najis as well, and insane.

also keep in mind that every human being has a certain level of najasah please. spiritually mostly dirtier than the dogs, who are not going to hell.

(salam)

#9 JawzofDETH

JawzofDETH

Asmaa'ul Husnah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts
  • Religion:AliShariati'ism
  • Interests:I can think of a few, but dare not utter. Mwahaha!

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

why are dogs nijis and so hated in islam

They are not hated.
We'll kill any dog that claims this! :lol:

#10 kim.tinkerbell

kim.tinkerbell

Sultanaa huyaam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,444 posts
  • Religion:muslim
  • Interests:Haha

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:20 PM

Why would you have a dog pet, their scary and ewww specially the bulldogs their ugly.

Their nijs but I dont think their hated in islam. The only thing thats good about a dog is it can watch out for thieves in the night. They have to be out door creatures lol.

As for cats then their hair is not allowed to be on your cloths well your praying....

And noo I dont have pets lool

#11 Waiting for HIM

Waiting for HIM

• Banned
  • 3,516 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:17 PM

They are not hated, they are just not permitted to be around the physical place where you pray. You wouldnt put a horse in the same spot where you pray do you?

Just wash up before you pray, if you have dogs just keep them way from the physical location of that prayer place. I think you should be fine.

As long as you keep them outside of your house, don't let them touch your clothes (or change once you comeback petting them), they are fine.

Perfectly halal for have them as pets for guard dogs, hunting dogs etc.

#12 Hot hot

Hot hot

• Banned
  • 3,112 posts
  • Religion:Shia

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Hate dogs to the core.

#13 Logical Islam

Logical Islam

• Banned
  • 1,489 posts
  • Religion:islam

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:24 PM

Salam...

Its good to read the open hearted views here about dogs. I think something is misunderstood when it comes to what Muhammad, pbuh, supposedly said about dogs. As for being "impure", anyone who has a dog knows they snoop around in ways that it is hygenic to wash anything they eat or drink from a few times.

I have a question. My cat is amazing about prayer. No matter how quiet I am when I pray, he shows up during salat. I don't know how he knows. It feels like he loves the power of the prayer or something. Does anyone else experience this with their pets.

Ya Salaam!

Posted Image
  • The Exalted One likes this

#14 peace seeker

peace seeker

حبيب الله

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:06 AM

Why would you have a dog pet, their scary and ewww specially the bulldogs their ugly.

Their nijs but I dont think their hated in islam. The only thing thats good about a dog is it can watch out for thieves in the night. They have to be out door creatures lol.

As for cats then their hair is not allowed to be on your cloths well your praying....

And noo I dont have pets lool

dogs can shepherd other animals, rescue humans from snow, rubble, and being lost in nature. They can lead blind human beings through cities. Dogs can help us find anything we train them to find. dogs can be used to hunt vermin and lions. dogs can also retrieve anything, and act as messengers in war zones. a dog is knows as man's best friend, so they give strong emotional support to people. dogs are an essential part of any police, army, rescue group.

dogs can help invalid people with basic chores and functions such as getting medicine, switching off lights, closing doors.

dogs are pack animals and are programmed to be part of the family. loyal, loving, and willingness to please are characteristics of any good dog.

a dog is a lot of work and like having a child. so if anybody does not understand or appreciate a dog (or any domesticated animal ) as a full-fledged family member, should never think of having one.

bad treatment and neglect of animals/plants under our responsibility can be used against us in the next life. so what i suggest is that even if anybody gets a dog to protect the house, make sure to give them love, attention, training, grooming, hugs etc, and of course a chance to leave the plot on walks and socializing with other humans and dogs is also a must. Otherwise it's torture for such warm social animals.

there are surely other functions of dogs that i did not list above, but they are definitely a great gift from Allah.

(wasalam)

#15 peace seeker

peace seeker

حبيب الله

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

here is a video showing a rescue dog doing tricks. (there is music, so in case you want you can mute it)

some more dog knowledge:

it is important to know that all dogs have the right to mate, and that keeping them away from this is a form of torture.

also, all dogs need their own personal toys and objects, as well as bones to chew on.

dogs have to run, especially when they are young.

as long as the muslims are responsible for a dog perhaps, we should strive to be exemplary dog-keepers, in sha Allah

(wasalam)

#16 MrAnt

MrAnt
  • Basic Members
  • 25 posts
  • Religion:Islam Shiite
  • Interests:Islam

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:08 PM

Are their any specific dua or acts used to tame a pet? From experience or from a reliable source.

We have a cat in our house and she always scratches me.

#17 Ali-Reza

Ali-Reza

Fadaye Hossein (as)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,447 posts
  • Religion:Islam - Shia
  • Interests:Salavat & Tasbihat, reading, & learning...oh ya good Halal food :)

Posted 22 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

Only if a Man could be as grateful and loyal to his master Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì as Dog is to his master, then the world be a much better place.

IMO "cleaneiness" is the key in Islam as we have authentic hadith about it. So keeping the dogs (or any pets) away from your living room and place specially where you pray is necessary. But at the end, it is Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì who created everything in heavens and earth and that includes dogs.

#18 AliX

AliX

Sword of Allah

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Interests:Writing, reading about religion

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:24 PM

I get the impure belief. However that covers everything. We are impure not just spiritually, but physically as well. Like others have said, I've found most of the dog "hate" to be cultural. We also need to look at the historical period and realize that rabies and other such diseases that dogs can carry are easily preventable.

#19 Abu Tufayl

Abu Tufayl

• Mods
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 07:46 PM

(bismillah)

Dogs being hated is nothing in itself something that comes from Islam.

Dogs are najis meaning they are ritually impure, you cannot have moisture contact with them while praying (meaning you/it touched each other and moisture was transferred). You must clean it before prayer. For further rules, please contact your marja.

Why? Because it is proven through narrations that have probative force that this is what God's command is and we obey. No need to know "why" He commanded. We hear and we obey.

في امان الله
  • peace seeker likes this

#20 peace seeker

peace seeker

حبيب الله

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,982 posts

Posted 22 December 2012 - 09:10 PM

it is quite logical why. dog saliva is like 10 times more powerful than our saliva, which means it is sticky and has even more bacteria and stuff. also a dog lick will leave a mark on the clothes, which is easily visible to the eye.

ideally, one should have special prayer clothes especially when having a dog, so you don't need to worry too much if the dog licked you here or sniffed you there. and if there are no special super clean prayer clothes available, then just wipe the areas with water where the dog mouth or nose touched you, and then do the wudu. as soon as a dog touches from the muzzle area, one will need to do wudu again, which is not such a big deal alhamdulilah.

also keeping the dog free of worms, ticks, unwashed hair will make the dog more nijis. also, dogs understand pretty much everything, so usually dogs that belong to muslims will not touch people automatically anyway, except when playing where everything is allowed, including biting for some owners like me.

anyway, another important thing is obviously not to share eating utensils with them.

finally i'd like to say that there are dog breeds that have less najasah than others.

key points to najasah are:
  • condition of hair (groomed? trimmed? washed? etc)
  • does this dog breed shed hair? (shedding hair is the biggest problem especially when clothes/ cars/ carpets are involved)
  • does the dog drool?
  • is the owner clean?
  • does the dog live in clean conditions?
  • does the dog eat clean food?
  • is the personality of the dog prone to cleanliness or do they like to eat sh**?
  • are the paws big or small (that's esp important in wet areas, also the hair)
^^ just a couple of points to show that there can be dogs that are very clean and less najis than others. it depends very much on the dog and master(s).

also i'd like to add that usually when somebody meets a dog, the person must let the dog sniff the hand or something, as an introduction. after this the dog will label you as part of his crew and dog pound, and wont need to sniff you again. at the same time it diminishes chances of having a bad relation with this dog ever again. it is very important especially for kids to avoid touching dogs that are not by trusted owners, or a very popular street dog for instance that the whole neighborhood is supporting. anyway, dogs are a bundle of love and what more can i say than this: i love them

(salam)

(wasalam)

#21 hh1997

hh1997

Sayed Hussain Sadiq Ali Bin Hussain

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Religion:Muslim
  • Interests:Islam, ICT, Petrol, Airplanes But Mostly Religion

Posted 30 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

in islam dogs are not hated they are just najis, their hair is najis, and when a single piece of hair is on you on your clothes or anywhere, where you are praying you salat is invalid, because it is najis, truly I like dogs I don't hate them because of islam purposes I didn't get one instead I got a bird :),

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users