Dhulfiqar313

Learning Farsi

(salam)

I am attempting to learn Farsi from this website:

http://www.easypersian.com/

I'm really excited. I've learned the big and small forms of B, P, and T (the letters) so far. I need a lot of practice, because all though I know them and can write them out, I can't read them in a large block of text. I mean, I can, but it's hard and takes me FOREVER to work which letter is which. Oh well, I will practice insh'Allah.

Does anyone have any experience with learning Farsi? I only speak English and broken German, so I have NO experience with indo-iranian languages. At all. If you could give me any tips or pointers, I would greatly appreciate it.

It's so exciting when learning a language :D as a revert I am still struggling with Arabic :(

Unfortunately, my parents didn't bother to teach me their native tongues :( if they had, by now I would be able to speak English, Spanish & Portuguse.

Arabic is on my bucket list. A long with French, Hindi/Urdu, and the rest of German. :S

I agree with Brother HabibKarimi.

Why learn Farsi first, when you could learn Arabic to be able to read the Book of Allah?

I still want to be able to learn Spanish, it's just such an awesome language :D not as awesome as Arabic though. I just love the text of Arabic. I also love the text/script of other languages as well.

Hebrew & Thai look pretty nice as well.

(salam)

Well arabic is not only useful for those who travel in arab countries.. In fact every arab country has its own dialect, and what you'll learn at school or using a book, is literal (fous3a), so you can't really speak with native arabs...

Btw, learning this language will allow you to understand more your religion (quran, duas, namaz...)

A few years ago, i used to learn farsi, in a book which title is Assimil, it's a french method to learn a foreign language, and known as one of the best of the world.. They started to make a english version of their book, arabic is already available for english native speakers.

Check this link: http://www.assimil.com/

And ya, farsi is easy, ("farsi asan ast") :D

Farsi belongs to the Indo-European language family, which also includes Germanic languages (German, English, Swedish, etc) and Romance languages (Spanish, Latin, French, etc). Arabic is a Semetic language which belongs to the Afro-Asiatic family. So Farsi is much easier to learn for someone that already speaks an Indo-European language whereas Arabic would be easier for someone that speaks an Afro-Asiatic language.

What about someone who can only speak English? :P

Why do you say Farsi is easier, brothers?

Conjugate verbs in farsi is less complicated than many languages.

And if you already know how to read arabic, it's pretty much simple, as you use the same letters except 4 new characters..

Are you sure? Most Afghans speak Dari, not Farsi. I mean, they're both Persian but they have some differences, as far as I know. But I'm far from an expert. I'll let someone else answer this.

(Afghans speak Pashto and Dari, I *think*)

Hmm, I never knew that. He told me he spoke Farsi I am pretty sure. I'll ask him later insha'Allah.

What other countries speak Farsi besides Iran?

One reason why I want to learn both Arabic & Farsi is because there is sooooo much Islamic literature in those languages.

Awwww you guys are making me want to learn Farsi so much now :P

I have one Brother who is Afghan, he speaks Farsi. Should I ask him to teach me?

i would recommend you to learn in a book with audio cd/mp3, .. in order to get the basis and learn step by step..

i don't think asking a native speaker would be great, as he didn't try to learn his mother's tongue, so he don't know how to explain it, where to start, etc..

It was written in my book, that if you practice 1 hour a day, it's enough to understand poem after 2 months !

Btw, check this link : Btw, check this link: http://www.shiachat....to-learn-farsi/

i would recommend you to learn in a book with audio cd/mp3, .. in order to get the basis and learn step by step..

i don't think asking a native speaker would be great, as he didn't try to learn his mother's tongue, so he don't know how to explain it, where to start, etc..

It was written in my book, that if you practice 1 hour a day, it's enough to understand poem after 2 months !

Btw, check this link : Btw, check this link: http://www.shiachat....to-learn-farsi/

Yeah I understand. For now, I only want to be able to read Arabic (for Qur'an) speaking it, doesn't really interest me at the moment. Would you advise to just continue learning how to speak Arabic or start Farsi as well?

Iran, Afghanistan, Tajikistan, Uzbekistan, Turkey, Iraq, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Israel, Pakistan, Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Syria, Yemen.

Only the first four are countries that have a lot of Persian speakers (Farsi, Parsi, and Dari). The rest is a minority.

And same for me. I want to learn Farsi for a few reasons. Iran is a great country, and I want to go someday. Preferably for Hawza. There is a LOT of Islamic literature in Farsi. Pretty much all Shia literature is translated to Farsi first and then Urdu. Sunni lit is always into Urdu first, though. Arabic if I have a chance. It's not a priority tbh. I'll learn tajweed (pronouncing the letters so I can recite the quran), but otherwise I don't really care tbh. I would ONLY use it for reciting Quran, Duas, Ziyrats, etc which I can just memorize and understand the translation.

Also, I heard a case where Apple refused to sell a product to someone speaking Farsi because of the "economic sanctions" against Iran. I want that to happen to me so I can sue them and get rich! :P

Hahah good luck with that.

Seriously you guys have made me want to learn Farsi so much now lol

Yeah I understand. For now, I only want to be able to read Arabic (for Qur'an) speaking it, doesn't really interest me at the moment. Would you advise to just continue learning how to speak Arabic or start Farsi as well?

Don't start farsi, the priority is Arabic, language of our Prophet (saw), after-death language, language of the Quran, the best language for poems, and you can make wonderful arab calligraphy in this language (some examples of my arab calligraphy ex-teacher: http://www.myspace.c...graphies/848914)

This is the book i would recommend you.. click on New/used books, to get it cheap.. and if it's too much expensive, you could find others similar books on the net..

http://www.amazon.com/Assimil-Language-Learning-Arabic-Multimedia/dp/2700520696/ref=?ie=UTF8&m=A1SSUO20DOKMFO

cendrillon, do you have any tricks to learn or special materials I should get? For now, I only learned the 3 letters I mentioned in the first post (plus the 3 vowels, but they aren't letters) and I'm using flash cards. Anything else?

Don't make visiting iran as your first reason to learn farsi... you could be disappointed if Iran get involved in the future world war 3 !

Well, personally, i just used my Assimil book with audio cd,.. it's important to listen to get a proper accent, and that's it.. nothing more

Get a book with audio cd/cassette, and enjoy your lessons ! :D

Edited by cendrillon

(bismillah)

Don't start farsi, the priority is Arabic, language of our Prophet (saw), after-death language, language of the Quran, the best language for poems, and you can make wonderful arab calligraphy in this language (some examples of my arab calligraphy ex-teacher: http://www.myspace.c...graphies/848914)

This is the book i would recommend you.. click on New/used books, to get it cheap.. and if it's too much expensive, you could find others similar books on the net..

http://www.amazon.co...tmm_abk_title_0

(salam)

For arabic I would suggest this http://www.lqtoronto.com/videodl.html

Book 1 has 56 Parts

Book 2 has 95 Parts

Book 3 has 145 Parts

Altogether that is 296 parts.

I myself haven't really used it, I've seen part one of the first book, and a tiny bit of part two of book one and it is really helpful alhamdulillah

(bismillah)

(salam)

For arabic I would suggest this http://www.lqtoronto.com/videodl.html

Book 1 has 56 Parts

Book 2 has 95 Parts

Book 3 has 145 Parts

Altogether that is 296 parts.

I myself haven't really used it, I've seen part one of the first book, and a tiny bit of part two of book one and it is really helpful alhamdulillah

Change your display picture back to what it was.

Yep, K. Thanks.

Awwww you guys are making me want to learn Farsi so much now :P

I have one Brother who is Afghan, he speaks Farsi. Should I ask him to teach me?

suggest you to ask an Iranian friend, you know they afghans speak Farsi is understandable in Iran but their accent is very different.