Sign in to follow this  
Zehranaqvi

Doing My Degree From China

AOA,

I am currently doing my A levels from UK and after that i want to go to china to do my degree, i was wondering if there is someone here who have been to china to study or is just familiar with life in china?

i want to know if there are many Muslims there, specially girls who wears hijab? if not are Chinese people welcoming, or will i be seen as someone out of this world just because i wear hijab? and what about life in china in general? costs? residence? Halal food? or anything else you think i should know?

i will be glad if someone could provide me with as much information as possible =)

thank you in advance

=))

Guest ahlulbayti

salamun alaikum sister

all the best inshallah.lol i dont know anything about china sorry

It depends on what part of China you are going to......a village? a city on the coast? inland? Xinjiang?

Yes there are muslims in China...there are alot of them (Hui and Uighur)

I doubt they will say anything to you about hijab unless you plan on being in a small village.

You can get halal food at the Hui and Uighur restaurants. There is a walmart in just about every big city with frozen halal chicken available....and if you are on the coast there will be no shortage of fish for you to take home and cook.

I have a friend going to China in september to study medicine, I doubt he would be going if it wasn't welcoming so I'm sure you'll be alright, insh'Allah. I know they have halal food and certain things are cheap but that's about all I know

lol,i was always inspired by the Chinese culture, going to study there has always been a dream of mine :)

They don't have much of the Chinese culture anymore. I was there a few years ago. They are now a consumerist society preferring everything western.

How good is your language skill (Mandarin)? Are you going to attend one of the largest Universities there? Do you know the ranking of the program or the University ranking?

Ah I see :)

From my conversations with Chinese people I think you will like the place if you don't mind being part of busy Asian communities (people very disciplined for the most part, lots of activity which can be good, but not all of it pleasant, sometimes infrastructure and facilities break down but people still go on, less than usual quiet time and extra-curricular activity). If you don't mind changing your lifestyle a bit and do as the locals do, you will have a good time - swimming against the tide can be hard financially and mentally.

As Gypsy says it can be different (westernized) based on where you go, but the above is my impression for most of the country.

i want to study finance and accountancy or financial mathematics or something...i didn't look at the universities there yet..but i am sure there are some good universities teaching these courses in English.. ^_^ i don't speak Chinese but i am willing to learn..and if the course is taught in English i don't think i will have much problems.. :donno: i know i might get a better job if i graduate from UK but it really would be the last place i would want to go to study at university...

The first thing you should learn in the language. And you should do it ASAP.

Mandarin is one of the most hardest language in the world to learn. Don't go to China until you have a fairly good command of the language. The Chinese like their language a lot. If you don't know the language, then chances are you'll be alienated unless some people take pity on you or they want to practice their English with you.

but i am sure there are some good universities teaching these courses in English.. ^_^ i don't speak Chinese but i am willing to learn..and if the course is taught in English i don't think i will have much problems...

I think you have some serious thinking and research to do about this project. You want to go to China to learn accounting in English?

The more standard approach would be to learn accounting in some western country with the Chinese language as an additional course/elective, for which there could be an element of staying in China to help with the language skills.

Have you thought about Hong Kong? As far as I know, all courses in Hong Kong University (HKU) and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) are taught in english and they are pretty high in the rankings as well

You seriously want to study accounting in China....and it is taught in EngRish? I thought you wanted to study Mandarin or maybe Chinese medicine :mellow:

Anyway Gypsy is right you should learn a bit of Mandarin....at least enough to go shopping and take taxis on your own. The Chinese are like Americans and usually refuse to learn another language.....some of them even have the audacity to mock you if you don't speak perfect Mandarin. I had this rude language experience in a bank once with a very rude girl working behind the counter. She went on to mock my broken Chinese.....then I told her (in broken Chinese) that I would be happy to continue in English or Arabic.......that shut her up really fast LOOOOL.

Or maybe you can do a degree in a UK university and spend one semester in China (in a participating and recognized university that your UK university has a tie-up with; this is very reasonable and accommodated normally, you don't have to pay any extra fee either).