#1 Ibn al-Hussain

Ibn al-Hussain

[-Talib e Ilm-]

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,532 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:26 PM

(salam)

Is anyone following the new Umar series on MBC? You can watch the episodes in Arabic online here: http://shahid.mbc.ne...dia/program/408

Unfortunately I'm not a native Arabic speaker, so no point watching it since I can't understand anything, but is it any good? From the few clips that I saw it seems they are covering the story from the Prophet's time onward (freeing of Bilal by Abu Bakr etc.).

Also, apparently they are showing the faces of some of the popular companions including Imam Ali and Umar - have any Sunni scholars spoken about this?

Wassalam
  • Goku likes this

#2 Murtada

Murtada

(يا لثارات محمد (ص

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 29 July 2012 - 10:45 PM

(wasalam)

I watched some of an episode; and saw they depicted 'Abu Bakr, 'Umar and I believe Khaalid bin Walid. The Saudi and Egyptian Sunni clergy have gone bonkers over it;
http://www.saudigaze...=20120710129528 (interestingly enough, they don't mention 'Imaam Ali's (as) depiction in this article)
http://www.emirates2...-07-07-1.466119
http://www.emirates2...-07-16-1.467428 (this "prince" wanting to take the network to court?)

#3 Dagga

Dagga

• Banned
  • 265 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

They show everyone Ali included, it is so amazing,

#4 Queen Yoda

Queen Yoda

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Religion:Twelver Shia

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:33 PM

Show some respect when referring to Imam Ali (as)

I find your disrespectful tone disturbing wahabi
  • Kismet110, Maryammm and struggling_On like this

#5 Qa'im

Qa'im

The Hadith Guy

• Mods
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:40 PM

Besides the very obvious issues with the show, it's got pretty good cinematography.
  • بعيد likes this

#6 ImamAliLover

ImamAliLover

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 668 posts
  • Religion:al-Islaam

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:17 PM

(bismillah)
(salam)
Salafis tend to generally be against it because it shows the faces of Sahaba and some of the actors are not exactly known for their piety. Plus the problem with a number of these series is that they're not completely historically accurate so some people see something on the show and they think that's what actually happened even though that may have just been something that the director or a writer made up to be epic or to kill some time, etc.
Details:

While i am of the view that it is extremely important to use media like movies to spread Islam, i would prefer it if they didn't show the faces of especially 'Ali (as) and the Prophet (pbuh) and there should be scholars who are consulted for every detail in the movie, because in a way, these movies/series are like hadiths; you're telling people what happened, and since this involves religion and actual events, we should be accurate.

And Allah(swt) knows best.

Edited by ImamAliLover, 30 July 2012 - 09:21 PM.

• Maryammm likes this

#7 Murtada

Murtada

(يا لثارات محمد (ص

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

Besides the very obvious issues with the show, it's got pretty good cinematography.

I think that's only advantage of the show. The money they spent on it really worked because the outcome looks very modern, something you would expect from the US.
  • Qa'im and Khadim uz Zahra like this

#8 Dagga

Dagga

• Banned
  • 265 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

Show some respect when referring to Imam Ali (as)

I find your disrespectful tone disturbing wahabi

Erm can you please point out my disrespectful tone?!

#9 wonderer

wonderer

Let's Go To The Beach

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,941 posts
  • Religion:Muslim- Loves AhluAlbait
  • Interests:Making, Expressing, Ignoring, Loving and surly Eating

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:05 PM

They showed the face of Imam Ali, and they made him a lil vulgar in behavior and they show Omar as the wise great leader >> BS
  • بعيد, Ali Musaaa :) and Khadim uz Zahra like this

#10 بعيد

بعيد

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 278 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:15 PM

I might have picked up on something incorrect, but why was Umar by The Prophet (SAW) when he made Hajra into Medina? From what I recall within Hadiths & History, Umar wanted to kill The Prophet (SAW) while he was ALREADY in Medina. Sounds like they just exalted Umar a bunch.

Unless that guy in brown turban and dress isn't Umar...

#11 Auqab

Auqab

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 346 posts
  • Religion:Shia Islam
  • Interests:Working out, problem solving, politics

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:31 AM

Are they going to show Umar running away from battle :)

Arent you guys strictly against showing faces of sahaba? And i think some of you even go to the extent of calling it an act of kufr.

#12 Queen Yoda

Queen Yoda

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 988 posts
  • Religion:Twelver Shia

Posted 01 August 2012 - 01:34 PM

Erm can you please point out my disrespectful tone?!

When referring to Imam Ali (as). You dont just write 'Ali'.

And it is not great that actors are playing him - its disrespectful and offensive.
  • Maryammm and al-`Ajal Ya Imaam like this

#13 Ibn al-Hussain

Ibn al-Hussain

[-Talib e Ilm-]

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,532 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 06:01 PM

(salam)

Can someone go to 23:25 onward and confirm that the lady shown there is meant to be Lady Fatima (sa):

Wassalam

#14 Vigilare

Vigilare

48% Sunni, 32% Zaydi, 20% Sith Lord wannabe

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,461 posts
  • Interests:Theology, Philosophy, History

Posted 01 August 2012 - 07:41 PM

I might have picked up on something incorrect, but why was Umar by The Prophet (SAW) when he made Hajra into Medina? From what I recall within Hadiths & History, Umar wanted to kill The Prophet (SAW) while he was ALREADY in Medina. Sounds like they just exalted Umar a bunch.

Unless that guy in brown turban and dress isn't Umar...

Umar became Muslim before hijra, around 616.

#15 Haydar Husayn

Haydar Husayn

• Mods
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:22 PM

I hope the people who object to the faces of the actors playing the Prophet (pbuh) and Imam `Ali Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã being shown also object to the faces of Maryam عليها السلام, Nabi `Isa, Nabi Sulayman, and Nabi Yusuf عليهم السلام, among others being shown in popular films and TV series.
  • lalala123 likes this

#16 Dagga

Dagga

• Banned
  • 265 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

(salam)

Can someone go to 23:25 onward and confirm that the lady shown there is meant to be Lady Fatima (sa):

I think thats Abu Bakr (ra)'s daughter

Arent you guys strictly against showing faces of sahaba? And i think some of you even go to the extent of calling it an act of kufr.

Not Sahaba, the 10 promised paradise.

Edited by Dagga, 02 August 2012 - 05:33 PM.

#17 power

power

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • Religion:Shia Imamiyya Ithna Ashari

Posted 02 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

Those 10 are not sahabas?
  • Murtada likes this

#18 Murtada

Murtada

(يا لثارات محمد (ص

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 03:47 PM

They show faces of members included in the party of 10 promised paradise, per Sunni standards.

#19 Logic

Logic

Wannabe Shia

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 04:56 PM

I hope the people who object to the faces of the actors playing the Prophet (pbuh) and Imam `Ali Úáíå ÇáÓáÇã being shown also object to the faces of Maryam عليها السلام, Nabi `Isa, Nabi Sulayman, and Nabi Yusuf عليهم السلام, among others being shown in popular films and TV series.

Yawn...Muslims dont like their holy personalities to be displayed on screen or in pictures. There is no reason/indication otherwise for you to post this.

#20 struggling_On

struggling_On

Slave Of Fourteen(AS)

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 198 posts
  • Interests:seeker of knowledge

Posted 03 August 2012 - 06:23 PM

Yawn...Muslims dont like their holy personalities to be displayed on screen or in pictures. There is no reason/indication otherwise for you to post this.

This is so coz of their internal love for each other............ :donno:

#21 Haydar Husayn

Haydar Husayn

• Mods
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 03 August 2012 - 08:28 PM

Right...

etc...

All these films are made in Iran.

Seems the only time most Shias have a problem with faces been shown is when it comes to the Ahlulbayt (as). Fallibles like Zaynab bint `Ali are given more respect than infallible Prophets.
  • Dagga likes this

#22 Murtada

Murtada

(يا لثارات محمد (ص

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,756 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 12:18 AM

Seems the only time most Shias have a problem with faces been shown is when it comes to the Ahlulbayt (as). Fallibles like Zaynab bint `Ali are given more respect than infallible Prophets.

If you are mentioning them being depicted in film, then In all fairness, Zaynab bint 'Ali was a Muslim woman who would have her face veiled so they wouldn't be able to show it anyway. The Prophets (as) would probably not have their faces veiled.

#23 Haydar Husayn

Haydar Husayn

• Mods
  • 8,116 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 01:00 PM

If you are mentioning them being depicted in film, then In all fairness, Zaynab bint 'Ali was a Muslim woman who would have her face veiled so they wouldn't be able to show it anyway. The Prophets (as) would probably not have their faces veiled.

The other women at Karbala were Muslim women with veiled faces as well, yet they were not portrayed in the same way (their faces or at least eyes were shown). Additionally, according to many reports, their face veils were ripped off in the aftermath of the battle, and they were not wearing them on the way to Shaam.

#24 Dagga

Dagga

• Banned
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:51 PM

Irans have actors for almost every Prophet LOL, they were going to make one for Muhammad SAW but everyone was against it

#25 Hannibal

Hannibal

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,476 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 10:09 PM

Agreed, the Arabic is easy to understand as well. I'm glad they didn't mix in dialects.

The cinematography is better than those Iranian ones.

Edited by Hannibal, 04 August 2012 - 10:10 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users