Sign in to follow this  
Belle.Muslimah

What Can Women Do In Ramadan Whilst Having Menses

Rate this topic

Asalamu alaykom i hope you and your families are well inshallah,

I was wondering as the start of Ramadan is practically upon us and as a woman we have our menses time each month, what do we do on those days of menses whilst it is the time of fasting and prayer as we cant enjoin in those activities whilst menstrating what can we do to keep in the mindset and feel inclusive of the holy month?

Should we still get up early even though we cant pray or fast?

Any tips concearning this would be appreciated and helpful thank you in advance

and Pre-Ramadan Mubarak to all

wasalam

In order to feel inclusive , we can read islamic books , do da'wah , work on how to improve our own soul . Waking up early is very productive and it's been proven that it's healthy ,so why not ?

There are many ways to worship Allah apart from praying,fasting or reading quran..

How about reading a tafsir of the quran?

People don't wake up early in Ramadhan, they just stay up really late (until Fajr) and sleep until Dhuhr. :donno:

Edit: I apologize if you didn't want a brother in here. I didn't know it was in the Sisters forum; I just saw it in the recent threads list.

Well the women don't sleep at all! We have to stay up late cooking and cleaning....wake up or stay up for suhoor, sleep 2 or 3 hours if we're lucky, chase kids around the house and do chores (the house doesn't clean itself)....then cook a huge buffet for greedy lazy men who sit around and complain :dry: .....

Edited by ImAli

People don't wake up early in Ramadhan, they just stay up really late (until Fajr) and sleep until Dhuhr. :donno:

Yeah this is the new fashion .. but normally it's not like that during winter .

The quran has also emphasized on sleeping at night and living during the day

''We have created the night to rest and the mornings to live'' Al-nabaa :11

وجعلنا الليل سباتا وجعلنا النهار معاشا

Salam,

Well I think waking up early is good even when you can't pray, you can read Koran on your computers like the sister said and you can just do tasbih just hold a counter in your hand and click away there's nothing wrong with that while your in your monthlies, just tray to remember Allah swt as much as you can. Inshallah Allah swt sees all our struggles in His way.

Ramadan mubarak to everyone inshallah :D

I am an early riser. So I wakeup and have breakfast like usual.

Of course, if this is the beginning or middle of the month, then you don't want to break the tempo. So, eat lightly and drink moderately.

And ImAli is right. There's no real break for women. We would still be doing the cooking and cleaning and child caring.

Personally, out of respect for my family I get up during suhoor and remain "fake" fasting. If I need a drink during the day, I make sure it is in private.

You can perform any kinds of worship you want, however, stay away from the makrooh acts during your menstrual cycle. Make Mafatih al jinan your best friend.

O People! The month of Allah (Ramadhan) has approached you with His mercy and blessings. This is the month that is the best of all months in the estimation of Allah. Its days are the best among the days; its nights are the best among the nights. Its hours are the best among the hours.

This is a month in which he has invited you. You have been, in this month, selected as the recipients of the honors of Allah, the Merciful. In this holy month, when you breathe, it has the Sawab/thawab (heavenly reward) of 'Tasbeeh' (the praise of Allah on rosary beads), and your sleep has the thawab of worship.

Your good deeds are accepted in this month. So are your invocations. Therefore, you must invoke your Lord, in right earnest, with hearts that are free from sins and evils, that Allah may bless you, observe fast, in this month, and recite the Holy Quran.

Verily! The person who may not receive the mercy and benevolence of Allah in this month must be very unfortunate having an end as bad (in the Hereafter). While fasting, remember the hunger and thirst of tomorrow in Qiyamat. Give alms to the poor and the needy. Pay respects to your elders.

Have pity on those younger than you and be kind towards your relatives and kinsmen. Guard your tongues against unworthy words, and your eyes from such scenes that are not worth seeing (forbidden) and your ears from such sounds that should not be heard by you.

Be kind to orphans so that when your children become orphans they also may be treated with kindness. Do invoke that Allah may forgive your sins. Do raise your hands at the time of Salat (Prayers), as it is the best time for asking His mercy. When we invoke at such times, we are answered by Him, when we call Him, He responds, and when we ask for anything, it is accepted by Him.

O People! You have made your conscience the slave of your desires; make it free by invoking Him for Istighfar (repentance/forgiveness). Your back is breaking under the heavy load of your sins, so prostrate before Him for long intervals and make it lighter.

Do understand fully well that Allah has promised in the name of His Majesty and Honor that He will not take to task such people who fast and offer Salat in this month and perform 'sajda' (prostration), and will guard their bodies against the Fire of Hell on the Day of Judgment.

O People! If anybody amongst you arranges for the Iftar (food for the ending of the fast) of any believer, then Allah will give him a reward as if he has set free a slave. He will forgive his minor sins.

Then the companions of Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) said: "But everybody amongst us does not have the means to do so?"

Holy Prophet Muhammad (saw) told them: - Keep yourself away from the Fire of Hell, by inviting for 'Iftar', though it may consist of only half a date or simply with water if you have nothing else. O People! Anybody who may cultivate good manners in this month will walk over the 'Siraat' (Bridge) in 'Qiyamat', though his feet may be shaking.

Anybody who in this month may take light work from his servants (male or female), Allah will make easy his accounting on the Day of Judgment.

Anybody who does not tease others in this month, Allah will keep him safe from His wrath in Qiyamat. Anybody, who respects and treats an orphan with kindness in this month, Allah shall look at him with dignity in Qiyamat. Anybody who treats well his kinsmen, in this month, Allah will bestow His mercy on him in Qiyamat, while anybody who maltreats his kinsmen in this month, Allah will keep him away from His mercy, in Qiyamat.

Whoever offers 'Sunnat' (Recommended) prayers in this month, Allah will give him a certificate of freedom from Hell. Whosoever offers one 'Wajib' Salat in this month, for him the Angels will write the rewards of 70 such prayers, which were offered by him in any other months.

Whosoever recites repeatedly 'Salat and salam (Salawat)' on me, Allah will keep the scales of his deeds heavy, when in Qiyamat the scales of others will be tending towards lightness.

Whosoever recites in this month only one 'Ayat' (verse of the Holy Quran), he will be rewarded in a manner as if he had recited the full Holy Quran in the other months.

O People! The Gates of Paradise remain opened in this month. Do invoke that the gates may not be closed on you, while the Gates of Hell are closed. Do invoke that these gates may never be opened. During this month Shaitan (Satan) is imprisoned so ask your Lord not to let him have power over you.

----------------------------------------

you should check after these because my memory is rusty

@ it is mustahab to break your fast during menses

@respect the month and keep it private

@it is mustahab for women during menses to sit on their prayer mat and do dhikr ( du'a tasbeeh )

@if you can not do any good deed , at least refrain from doing bad deeds , actually that is one of the best deeds one can do (including all the toung maladies , eyes maladies , ear maladies , hands maladies , legs maladies , heart maladies)

^

thats alot to do already

$ mustahab du'a during ramadhan

*du'a iftitah

*du'a aljawshan

*du'a abu hamza althumali

& others

charity is mustahab during ramadhan (poors and orphans)

offering iftar for other fasting muslims is mustahab

Ramadhan Kareeem

Salams thanks for replies i asked about waking up early i meant as in extra early my usual wakeup is 6am mon-fri so i thought that if i had menses would it be any point in getting up at 3am? just saying and im by myself so i dont have family and that to cook for so its pretty solitary Ramadan really for me

Salams thanks for replies i asked about waking up early i meant as in extra early my usual wakeup is 6am mon-fri so i thought that if i had menses would it be any point in getting up at 3am? just saying and im by myself so i dont have family and that to cook for so its pretty solitary Ramadan really for me

There wouldn't be a point to wake-up that early. So, you should sleep in.

But if you already train your body to wake-up at certain time then you would wake-up regardless.

Allah swt has given us women a break from salah and fasting out of His Mercy because religion isnt meant to be difficult. if u have high eman and would like to wake up early and do what others have suggested then Allah swt will reward u for ur efforts.

as for me, i take this gift of not having to pray or fast from Allah swt and say alhamdulillah wal shukr for sucha Merciful God and enjoy my lie in.

Salam, here are some of the forbidden things in haydh, you all probably know them already, but for a reminder to everyone here they are(this is the fatwas of Sayyed sistani-ha)

456. Acts which are Haraam for a woman who is in the state of Hayz:

• Prayers and other similar acts of worship for which Wudhu or tayammum or Ghusl is necessary. However, there is no harm in her performing those acts of worship for which Wudhu, tayammum or Ghusl are not obligatory (e.g. Namaz-e-Mayyit).
  • All those acts which are forbidden to a junub (see rule no. 361).
  • Having sexual intercourse; it is Haraam for man as well as for woman even if only the penis glans may penetrate, and even if semen may not be discharged. In fact, the obligatory precaution is that the male should refrain from insertion even to an extent lesser than the point of circumcision. Based on obligatory precaution, Anal intercourse with the wife is forbidden regardless of whether she is in Hayz or not without her permission.

361. The following five things are Haraam for junub:

• To touch with any part of one's body the script of the holy Qur'an or the Name of Almighty Allah in whichever language it may be. And it is better that the names of the holy Prophet and Imams and Hazrat Fatima Zahra (peace be upon them) should also not be touched in that condition.
  • Entering Masjidul Haraam or Masjidun Nabi, even though it may be only passing from one gate and going out of another.
  • To stay or halt in all other Masjids, and similarly, on the basis of obligatory precaution, to stay in the shrines of the holy Imams. However, there is no harm if one crosses or traverses through a mosque, entering from one gate and exiting from another.
  • To enter a mosque with an intention of lifting away something or placing something in it.
  • To recite those verses of the holy Qur'an on the recitation of which performance of Sajdah becomes obligatory. These verses occur in four surahs of the holy Qur'an:
    • Surah Alif Lam Mim as-Sajdah, 32:15
    • Surah Ha Mim Sajdah, 41:38
    • Surah an-Najm, 53:62
    • Surah al 'Alaq, 96:19

Do the makrooh things for a junub also apply to haydh as well?

Things which are Makrooh for Junub

362. The following nine things are Makrooh for junub:

1. To eat
    • To drink. But if the junub washes his or her face, hands and mouth, then eating or drinking in that state will not be Makrooh. And if he or she washes the hands only, then unworthiness of the acts is reduced.
      • To recite more than seven verses of the holy Qur'an other than those in which obligatory Sajdah occur.
        • To touch the cover, the margin or border of the holy Qur'an or the space between its lines, with any part of one's body.
          • To keep the holy Qur'an with oneself.
            • To sleep. But it would not be Makrooh to sleep if the person concerned performs wudhu or performs tayammum instead of Ghusl on account of non-availability of water.
              • To dye one's hair with henna etc
                • To apply oil on one's body.

If so, then reciting even 7 ayat of qur'an from memory is makrooh, and so would reading it on the computer. I have also read that if the surah or ayat is recited as part of a du'a, eg dua kumayl for example, then it is not makrooh... can anyone confirm or deny this? do you know of any fatwas on it? I tend to follow either sayed Sistani(ha) or sayed Fadhlallah(ra), do you know of anything they have said on this matter?

Salams and duas inshallah

Salam, I remember those days of solitary months of Ramadhan! up until recently, I lived with my non muslim family, and so every month of Ramadhan, I had to get up sooo quietly for suhoor, and eat what I would have had for my packed lunch! as for iftar, I would either eat my normal dinner, but later then my family, or eat a small amount before them(when iftar used to be at around 4 in the afternoon lol) or I would go to muslim friends houses or to my local hussainiya/masjid and have iftar with the community, could you maybe go to your nearest shia centre? they usually provide iftar, and maybe you could phone or email or check their website in advance of attending? Otherwise, know that though you currently can't always sit with fellow muslims for iftar, we are all sat together spiritually, and you are opening iftar with around 1 billion muslims(give or take a few thousand that are exempt from fasting or disobeying Allah(swt) in his command to fast in this month) Also, my lonely months of Ramadhan and months in general as a muslim, have been relieved by getting married to a lovely muslim husband, and not only gaining him, but also his family, with whom to share these special times of year! I hope inshallah that you gain such blessings! have patience and trust in Allah(swt) that you will get so much rewards in this world and the next, and that he will grant you the company of good pious muslims to share the month of Ramadhan and other Islamic occasions with, whether through marriage or other means inshallah.

Salams and duas inshallah!