Sign in to follow this  
Ruwayd

Nasiruddin Hunzai - Nizari Ismaili Dissident

In Pakistan, there is a Nizari Ismaili dissident named Nasiruddin Hunzai (a.k.a. Nasir al-Din Hunzai).

Official websites:

http://monoreality.org/

http://hubeali1.wordpress.com/

http://www.burushaskiresearchacademy.org

http://hub-e-ali.blogspot.ca/

His work can also be found on some Nizari Ismaili websites, for example: http://ismailimail.w...asir-i-khusraw/

Here is his official biography:

Prof. Dr. Allama Nasir ud-Din Nasir (Hub-e-Ali)Hunzai is a highly acclaimed writer on Burushaski language. He was born in 1917 in Hyderabad, a small village of Hunza. In his early childhood he was inclined towards the esoteric meanings of his faith, Islam. He was deeply inspired by the preachings and teachings of Pir Nasir Khusraw. He leads the austere life of a "sufi saint" and is a member of Isma'ili Shi'ism.Allamah Sahib has interpreted the Qur'anic verses from a new perspective. His emphasis is on the inner meaning and wisdom of the Qur'an. He is the author of more than a hundred booklets on spirituality. He was the first writer to coin the terms 'spiritual science', 'monoreality' and 'thousand wisdoms'.Allamah Nasir is also a Sufi poet and writer. He has written numerous books on the topics of the Qur'an, Islam, Sufism, Isma'ilism and spirituality in general. His books have been translated into English, French, Swedish, Persian, Turkish, and Gujarati.

Some pictures of Nasiruddin Hunzai's operations can be seen here and here.

Here are some pics of him operating, for example:

hunzai5.png

By ruwayd at 2012-07-14

hunzai6.png

By ruwayd at 2012-07-14

hunzai3.png

By ruwayd at 2012-07-14

hunzai2.png

By ruwayd at 2012-07-14

hunzai4.png

By ruwayd at 2012-07-14

Nasiruddin Hunzai is at least somewhat of a dissident in the Nizari Ismaili community, apparently. Many Nizari Ismailis regard him as heretical. However, he has not been publicly refuted by any Nizari Ismailis to my knowledge, and many Nizari Ismailis still think highly of him. Also, Nasiruddin Hunzai also still very much considers himself a Nizari Ismaili and a devout follower of Nizari Ismailism. Additionally, his many books and articles are somewhat widely read within the Nizari Ismaili community to this very day, as well as the books and articles of his supposed successor, Faquir Muhammad Hunzai. For instance, one can search online and find many works by Nasiruddin Hunzai and Faquir Muhammad Hunzai, especially on Nizari Ismaili websites.

Here is what one Nizari Ismaili wrote about Nasiruddin Hunzai:

It has been observed that the religious activities of Allama Nasiruddin Nasir Hunzai and his group have reached to its extreme in the Ismaili jamat. They hampered and combed out the belief of Ismailism and brushed aside concept of the Imamate. One can judge ultra gravity of their foothold and domination that the qasida (odes) of Nasiruddin Hunzai are fearlessly recited in the Metrovile Jamatkhana, Karachi.

On 9th September, 2005, the Kamadia of Metrovile Jamatkhana, one of the faithful disciples of Hunzai cult, harshly reviled and rebuked the Tariqah Board in his speech inside the Jamatkhana.The Hunzai group is brisk in their operations with leaps and bounds in Pakistan and abroad under two faces. In one face emanates “true Ismailism” through their literature – a diplomacy to conquer the hearts of the Ismailis. In their second face, they brain wash the young children in their private assembly through the agency of hypnotism.

Nasiruddin Hunzai’s pupils have abandoned their secular education, and attend their private assembly as ascetics till late night. Each and every point is taught with the tool of inner dimension, propagating that the outer dimension is quite worthless. For instance, the tawil of the Jamatkhana is curiously interpreted that it is immaterial to attend it physically, but one should form an edifice of Jamatkhana within the heart. Hence, his pupils do not come in the Jamatkhana. When the pupils formed the image of inner Jamatkhana in their hearts, they are initiated to pay dasond (tithe) in the inner Jamatkhana at the rate of 10%.

In the mantle of the Spiritual Scientist, Nasiruddin Hunzai claims that he deserves to collect the religious dues as the head of the inner Jamatkhana. This unauthorized fund is utilized in his upkeep and mission. During the Afghan migration in 1996, the Afghan Ismailis mostly settled in Metrovile Society, Karachi, and were forced to remit the dasond to the Naderi Group in Afghanistan. Being inspired, Nasiruddin Hunzai also collected the dasond from his adherents.

The married girl students are taught to avoid conjugal relation with their husbands and take divorce if possible through inner declaration of talaq. Nasiruddin Hunzai also confers different titles upon his advanced disciples. The pupils are given solemn word (ism-i azam) and holy water (ab-i shafa) on every Friday. He also gives different tasbih emanating from his own name, such as Ya Nasir, Ya Aly Khan, Ya Imam al-Waqt, etc.

It means that they have formed a different cult within the jamat, which is on the verge of isolation. If their mysterious interpretations are not restricted, it will be a major problem. Those who fled from their grip have reported few examples of illicit indulgence of male and female, not advisable to describe here. Nasiruddin Hunzai also makes predictions, but none was materialized. He also claims to work miracles. One ought to be careful because he and his advanced pupils are experts in the skills of hypnotism.

The most trembling news is that he preached his pupils in 1988 that Prince Aly Khan was the real successor of Imam Sultan Mohammad Shah (our 48th Imam). Later, he elaborated his theory on the basis of the forged mathematical calculation of Nasir Khusraw and skillfully inserted in the minds of the pupils that the Noor of Prince Aly Khan descended in two parts, viz. spiritual and temporal. The spiritual descended in his person and the secular one inherited by Shah Karim al-Hussaini Hazar Imam. He also claimed at first that he was the hujjat of Prince Aly Khan, and then claimed that he was the 50th spiritual Imam, making Hazar Imam as 51st Imam instead of 49th. In the video film of their festive gatherings, one can see four photos hanging on the stage in descending order, i.e., Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah, Prince Aly Khan, Nasiruddin Hunzai and Mawlana Hazar Imam (Karim Aga Khan).

Before his pupils had a chance to ask him whether the Imam must be be a descendant of Hazrat Ali, he said that his forefathers descended from Imam Jafar Sadiq, who migrated to Badakhshan in 12th century. It is gleaned from his literature that he never made reference of Mawlana Shah Karim al-Hussaini Hazar Imam. I have unmasked his concept, and now it is doubtful, what does he actually mean the word “Imam” in his literature? Besides, he has never quoted a single line of Hazar Imam’s farman. This is a curious phenomenon in Ismailism and absolutely contrary to the very character of Imamate conception. He also began to bless his close pupils with the phrase “Khana Abadan.”

Hazar Imam wears a special golden robe during the grand didar program. It also prompted Nasiruddin Hunzai to imitate and wear a robe of equal design, whose photos are given in his several books. His method of interpretation of the Koran was excellent, but after exhorting the Spiritual Science, he slipped and took another track. When one of his Muslim friends asked, why he claimed for hujjat or Imam, he replied that, “Ayatullah Khumeini can claim as an Imam, what is wrong in my claim?”

In March, 2005, he published his qasida, called “Diwan-i Nasiri,” whose second last verse contains the words, “Khuda’i du jahan” for Prince Aly Khan. He had left Karachi for Canada about four months before its publication. The Sunnis and Twelvers in Gilgit reacted against the above phrase and agitated rigorously in Gilgit. They registered FIR against him in Gilgit Police Station. The case is not settled but hovering as a burning issue. He would be arrested when arrived in Karachi.

He has another unpublished book: “Qaim Shanashi.” His successor, Faquir Muhammad Hunzai, has very proudly written its Foreword in nine pages. It was likely that this book might have created factions in the jamat and dogmatic revolution as well. Apprehending the threat of split in the jamat, his son Mr. Izhar stopped its printing. It is reliably known that the Muslims here are in quest of its copy to bifurcate us Ismailis as well as to use it a weapon to disgrace and discredit Ismailis in Pakistan.

In June 8, 2004, Nasiruddin Hunzai visited the Aga Khan Gymkhana, Karachi with a multitude of his pupils to participate in the ceremony of Chirah-i Rawshan. He assured the Afghan Ismailis that, “You are celebrating Chiragh-i Rawshan in the corner of the Aga Khan Gymkhana. It is my word that you will celebrate it in the middle of the Gymkhana in near future.” His assurance contains a mysterious philosophy. Prince Aly Khan inherited the property of the Aga Khan Gymkhana, covering an area of 18 acres after the death of Imam Sultan Muhammad Shah. When Prince Aly Khan passed away on May 12, 1960, the property became the sole asset of Hazar Imam, where he built the Aga Khan Gymkhana School in 1964. It is possible that Nasiruddin Hunzai in the capacity of the successor of Prince Aly Khan may lodge claim to the premises of the Aga Khan Gymkhana in future, which is apparent in his above words.

This alarming issue needs immediate eradication from its very root. How long the jamat will watch it as a silent audience? Collecting information and holding meetings are not an ideal line of action. There is a great talent in the manpower of the Tariqah Board, but none is motivated. It is known that the Chairman has a report that one or two persons in the Tariqah Board are spying for the Hunzai group in secret, and as a result he fears to bring into confidence to anyone in Tariqah Board. Nevertheless, if no action will be taken, Nasiruddin Hunzai will soon manifest as the Saviour or Messiah of his adherents like Rajnesh Bhagvan, who distorted Hinduism in India. Our leaders must note that their inordinate delay ultimately caused an emergence of one counter group, which is procuring support of competent persons in the world. This will perhaps cause an open clash between two groups and will possibly deteriorate the community discipline, and will furnish a lease of free rope to the enemies of the Ismailis.The rigid tendency of the Hunzai group or Nasirism is at its climax and one of their associates reported that Faquir Muhammad Hunzai would succeed after the death of Nasiruddin Hunzai, which can also be ascertained from his writings in the Gilgit library. It cannot be verified however, but is known that they have articulated a new kalima for an aspirant confessing their dogma.The parents are requested to focus serious attention to this emerging challenge and forbid their children to join the Hunzai group, who executes two-faced role to hunt their preys. .

On the other hand, here is what another Nizari Ismaili wrote about Nasiruddin Hunzai:

Here are a few facts for you to ponder on.

* Allamah Hunzai wrote a series of poems which he published as Diwan-i Nasiri in the 1960's. This was sent to the Imam and he received a Taliqah in which the Imam accepted his 'ginans in Burushaski language'. A copy of the taliqah is in that publication, and these ginans have been the main source of devotional poems in the jamats of Hunza for decades.

* Amongst all the vitriol, nothing has been mentioned about the content of the 100 books written by Mr Hunzai, (nor the 60 translated into English) - maybe Mr Surayani has not read these books - he should!

* In 2001, Mawlana Hazir Imam graciously bestowed a mulaqat to Allamah Hunzai and Dr Faquir Mohammed Hunzai in the presence of Aitmadi Shafiq Sachedina (Imam's right hand man). In this Mulaqat, Imam asked Allamah Hunzai to work with him and that he (Imam-i Zaman) would work with Allamah Hunzai.These are facts - and there are plenty more.

If you wish to understand more about the personality, his philosophy, his history - and his service to Hazar Imam and Mawlana Sultan Muhammad Shah, please do ask.

Also, here is a short biography of Nasiruddin Hunzai's supposed successor, Faquir Muhammad Hunzai, who is currently working at the Aga Khan owned "Institute of Ismaili Studies" in London, England:

hunzai77.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Faquir Muhammad Hunzai is a religious scholar, writer, translator, researcher, and man of letters of the Northern Areas of Pakistan.He was born in Shinaki, the lower part of Hunza. After his early education in his native village he went to the Karachi University, where he did three M.A.s, in philosophy, Arabic and Persian languages and literatures. He received a PhD degree in Islamic Studies from the McGill University, Montreal, Canada. For a short period he served as a lecturer in Arabic and Persian at GovernmentDegree College, Gilgit, Pakistan.

At present he is serving as a Research Associate at The Institute of Ismaili Studies, in London, United Kingdom. He has translated, al-Risalah al-Durriyyah, of the famous Fatimid thinker, Hamid al-Din Kirmani for the first time into the English language. According to The Institute of Ismaili Studies, “His publications include The Shimmering Light -An Anthology of Ismaili Poetry (London, 1996), a new edition and English translation of the ‘Gushayish wa Rahdyish’ printed as Nasir Khusraw: Knowledge and Liberation (London, 1998), The Holy Ahl al-Bayt in the Prophetic Traditions (Karachi, forthcoming), as well as contributions to the Encyclopaedia Iranica and other publications. He has also translated from Urdu and Burushaski into English, more than 50 works, including The Book of Healing and A Thousand Wisdoms of ‘Allamah Nasir al-Din Nasir Hunzai whose main focus is esoteric Ismailism. Presently he is working on translations of Wajh-i Din and the Diwan of Nasir Khusraw.

Edited by Ruwayd

Why did you post this?

As you know, part of the purpose of this sub-forum within Shiachat is research into other groups (besides Sunnis and Twelvers) that are calling themselves Muslims - such as the Nizari Ismailis.

Some or all of the information in this thread may be of interest in this regard.

As you know, part of the purpose of this sub-forum within Shiachat is research into other groups (besides Sunnis and Twelvers) that are calling themselves Muslims - such as the Nizari Ismailis.

Some or all of the information in this thread may be of interest in this regard.

sorry, yeah, I didn't see the section you put it in

Welcome back Cypress. I asked you in another thread but I think you've been away; can you please elaborate on what the initials LGBT mean in your 'Interests' profile? Also 'trans rights'?

Thanks

ALI

What is that feet kissing thing?

Pope emulation.

(bismillah)

A friend of mine send me this link and told me to propagate it to the youth of SC. So it is my shar'i duty to do so.

It is in fact from a while ago. It's from a couple months ago when Mesbah visited Lebanon and gave a speech to a gathering of clerical students.

Here are some assorted quotes from the speech (which were quoted in the article):

"After loving the Infallible Aimmah (A) and Emam Khomeini, affection toward Emam Seyyed Ali Khamenei and Wali ullah and companion of the Imam of the Age عليه السلام, Mr. Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, are the greatest manifestations of divine love."

"Even if today, on the surface, the resources necessary for superiority are in the hands of the enemies of Islam, and the Muslims have succumbed to factionalism and disunity, it must be proudly announced that never have the Shia ever had so much honor and power in history as they have in the present era."

"One of the reasons for this blessing (of the Shia being so strong), was the purity of Emam Khomeini ® and his denial of all selfish inclinations, which caused his revolution to become far-reaching and global, and a force on the world stage."

"The triumph of Hezbollah in the 33 days war, was in no way possible in material terms. And this is not merely my opinion; Hujjatul Islam Wal Muslimeen Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah is of the same belief."

"What is especially worthy of note with respect to the invisible (divine) assistance in the 33 days war is the comparison between it and the Sacred Defence of Iran (i.e. the Iran-Iraq War). Iran, from the perspective of military and human resources, is among the bigger and more prominent countries in the region, whereas Lebanon is a small country made up of many different peoples and confessions. In the 33 days war, out of these groups, it was only the Shias who rose up to fight the enemy. And, as opposed to the triumph of Iran in the eight-year defence, Hezbollah took a very short time -- 33 days -- to hand defeat to the Zionist Army -- which was armed to the teeth -- and its supporters."

"The special traits of Emam Khomeini are such that it is practically impossible to find someone his equal."

"If any one of you ever visit pay a visit to Mr. Hujjatul Islam Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah, I request from you that you kiss his hand and feet on my behalf."

Ya Ali

Edited by Ali_Hussain

^ LOL, you can't be serious. Even the most uneducated of us know the difference between literal and metaphoric speech.

lol, well it was half a joke, but I kind of get the feeling yazdi was serious, it's hard to tell.

there is a video of him trying to kiss the feet of sayed khamene'i, and as yazdi himself isn't a nobody, it isn't too hard to think he would think it is normal for laymen to kiss the feet of someone like sayed nasrallah

Edited by Ali_Hussain

Not for Nizari Ismailis. These guys don't do wudu. Nor do they clean themselves with water after using the toilet.

Nizari Ismailis just use toilet paper after using the toilet and nothing else - both for Number 1 and Number 2. There is no ritual of ablution amongst the Nizari Ismailis. They are just like Christians in terms of cleanliness.

Another example: Nizari Ismailis have a ritual (usually done on Friday nights) that they've been practicing for decades in their so-called "Jamatkhanas" where all of them drink "holy water" (water that the Aga Khan has "blessed" for them and is supposed to represent the "Noor of Allah") from the same few cups (called "piyalis"), without washing these cups. The ritual is called "Niyaz" and the holy water is called "Ab-e-safa." In order to participate in the ritual, one must first give a coin or paper bill (that is collected by a Jamati volunteer and later sent to the coffers of the Aga Khan).

In fact, a lot of Nizari Ismailis have gotten sick this way, based on my discussions with them. What happens is that someone who has the flu or a throat virus drinks out of the cup, and then a whole bunch of other people that drink out of the same cup right afterward eventually get sick.

You can see Nizari Ismailis talking about the ritual here. One of them expresses health concerns about participating in this non-sensical and heretical ritual. The ritual is very similar to how Christians drink wine out of a cup in their churches, where the wine is supposed to represent the blood of Jesus (as).

Dear Ruwayd

By your argument I conclude that Ismailis don't have water taps in their toilets and even if they have water taps they don't have water supply and even if they have water supply they simply do not turn on the water taps to use water. Additionally my friend I am curious to know that do they again use toilet papers to clean their bodies instead of having a bath.Do ask your friend this even if he/she is imaginary. :dry:

Dear Ruwayd

By your argument I conclude that Ismailis don't have water taps in their toilets and even if they have water taps they don't have water supply and even if they have water supply they simply do not turn on the water taps to use water. Additionally my friend I am curious to know that do they again use toilet papers to clean their bodies instead of having a bath.Do ask your friend this even if he/she is imaginary. :dry:

It is well known that Nizari Ismailis don't do wu'du and do not use water to cleanse themselves after making use of the toilet.

The rest of you what you have to say is irrelevant. Go take an English class before trying to show someone up on here.

Hi there, I am surprised to see follower of Mawla Ali (A.S) "Ruwayd" is writing such a big thing about Ismailies. By the grace of Almighty Allah I am an Ismaili by birth (and belief too) and I can safely say that all the Ismailies including my self and every one in my family do WASH their hands after using Toilet and WE DO take bath (Ghusal) before going to our Jamat Khana for prayer regardless of its morning prayer or evening! I am not upset by reading his comments rather I am smiling while writing this reply as they rightly say "Ignorance has no limit".

I have a lot of Shia friends, they come to visit my place, they eat with us. I don't know who Ruwayd is dealing with or what are the basis of his comments??

As far as Nasiruddin Huzai is concerned and whatever he is doing in the pictures above, its completely his own call or action and it has nothing to do with Ismaili faith or teaching. A good question is why they have Imam's picture on the wall, I would say, all the bakery walas and Dhobis having shops near Ismaili colonies have Imam's picture on their walls either and in my wiew Ismailies shouldn't be questioned if they do some thing wrong?? =) That's all I have to say my dear brothers and sisters, May Almighty Allah (SWT) bless you and your families and grant us courage to be on path of our beloved Mawla Ali (A.S).

the guy was talking about using water in the toilet after relieving yourself. not using water to clean your hands but to wash your private parts after passing out urine or stool. ismailis dont do that, they just use toilet tissue.   how  do they call themselves muslims... when they ask their imam for forgiveness instead of asking Allah. they say muslims are suppose to pray 3 times a day.. where as muslims are suppose to pray 5 times a day. they dont fast in ramadan, their hajj is to go n see their imam,,what kinda haj is that?

they dont do qurbani, give zakat to their pirs instead of the poor. all the money goes to that aga khan. no wonder he is living a life with other peoples money.

ismailis dont use water to clean themselves up in the toilet n then go masjids to pray with the sunnis. like eid namaz.. they are impure and want to go in masjids to pray.. they should not be allowed in the masjids. they are not clean

Dear Mawani, "Ruwayd" thinks he is the know all and expert in terms of Islamic beliefs & practices of the Shia Imami Nizari Ismaili Muslims.  He and others alike easily spread false propaganda on this forum, and others throughout the Internet.  They think they are the Almighty in judging who is a Muslim, and who is not.  They have been brainwashed by their higher ups (Mullas etc.) into believing that their creed is the only correct one to follow, and all others have gone astray.  They believe that Sunnis are partial Muslims because they follow a similar sharia & the 5 traditional pillars of Islam, however do not consider them fully Muslims because they do not follow their 12 Ithnaasheri Imams.  Their sharia closely resembles to the Sunni one, because their theology stopped with their 11th Imam Hasan Al-Askari, as their 12th Imam Al-Mahdi went into ghaybah, which left their community/jamaat in disarray.

So just as the Sunnis accuse they Shias of being a illegitimate sect, so do the Ithnaasheris to the other Shia branches.  They accuse the Ismailis and particularly the Nizari Ismailis of deviating off of Shiism and out of the fold of Islam, because the Ismailis followed Imam Ismail, and not Musa Kazim.  Think they have forgotten that they Abbasids wanted all Shia Imams dead, including Ithnaasheri & Ismaili.  The Ithnaasheris probably can't accept that there is a living (hazar) Shia Imam today, who is the leader of the Nizari/Ismailis.  This is a unbroken lineage which continues to till present, and will continue till qiyamat.  The Ismaili theology has kept on evolving over time under the direction of the Imam, whereas the Sunni & Ithnaasheri ones have been stuck in the past, without any guidance.  So for the Ithnaasheri in particular to attack the Ismaili beliefs in the past & present does not hold any water.  A challenge to you Ithnaasheris since you firmly believe yours is so rightly guided, show us your Imam, bring him out of the closet.  What is of use of an Imam who is inaccessible?  You make a deal on how your Imam is so perfect, and will restore world order, justice, religion, etc. etc.  Where is he for the last 1200 years?  We all know the answers to these questions, any sensible and intelligent human being would.  Ithnaasheris have no right to criticize the current Ismaili Imam, until they can prove theirs.  So for the Ithnaasheris to say that the Aga Khan wears Western clothes, or Ismaili practices are such and such, look at yourselves first, then others.  They don't have a clue how their Imam would function in modern day, and just dwell about the past, and make assumptions. 

For the Ithnaasheris to criticize the Ismailis on wudu, drinking, etc etc., many Ithnaasheris do they same or worse.  Closet drinkers, smoking is halal for them, whereas the Ismaili Imams have frowned against such things.  Who says they don't go clubbing or to bars, just look through the Facebook profiles of them, many of girls are ashamed of the hijab, and don't wear them.  Some of the ones that do, still attend parties, and drink. Premarital sex is performed by conveniently performing a mutah, temporary marriage.  Ithnaasheris are so desperate to convert Ismailis over to their lot, they go low by buying followers with money, and material possessions.  Such a cheap community.