Sign in to follow this  

Study In Iran For Foreigners

You must know Persian in order to be able to continue your educations in Iran because if you dont know it, you wont understand what teachers say.

That's not a problem, I am willing to learn languages.

On 7/1/2012 at 9:22 AM, macisaac said:

Why would you want to do this? You'd be handicapping yourself needlessly.

Don't you know Iran has the highest science growth rate in the world? Besides, gung-ho studying technical science is not my main reason studying there. I want to know what is going on and what is really happened there.

On 7/1/2012 at 9:43 AM, аli said:

Don't you know Iran has the highest science growth rate in the world? Besides, gung-ho studying technical science is not my main reason studying there. I want to know what is going on and what is really happened there.

No, PressTV says that, so it obviously must be false.

We here don't believe in any news unless a newspaper from the Land of the Free carries it.

No, PressTV says that, so it obviously must be false.

Land of the Free ™.

I like this phrase. +1

Can you open the link below?

http://www.msrt.ir/s...Fdefault%2Easpx

You can send them a message through this link. Write the subject in the first field, your name and surname in the second one, your email in the third one and your message in the forth one.

If you cant open the link, post your questions here and I will send them.

What is your degree? BS, MS, ..?

It seems that the website can be opened only inside Iran. http://web-sniffer.net/

Thank you.

You must know Persian in order to be able to continue your educations in Iran because if you dont know it, you wont understand what teachers say.

Not at all, the best technical university in Iran, Sharif, teaches its postgraduate courses almost entirely in English.

According to Mehrnews.com, in the year 1390 (last year), cost of education for a postgraduate was, averagely, 5 millions and 400 thousands tomans per year (10 tomans are equal to 1 rial).

In your currency, it is 416 074.85 rupees according to this site:

http://www.forextick...nverter-IRR-PKR

That's unreasonably cheap.

I read wikipedia it says 1 toman equals 10 rial.

Oh yes!!! I made a mistake! 10 rials are equal to 1 toman.

It isnt cheap in Iran. But since state universities are free, I think that amount must be much less for students studying in these universities (comparing Azad University).

ouch

I made a mistake too, I wrongfully put the rupee into IRR. It's not cheap. I have to take my words back lol.

Guest Endless Emotion

I think it will take many years to learn Persian as much as you need. Furthermore, we change the words a lot when we talk.

No at all, most universities they don't require foreign students to speak full Persian.

I studied persian for 3,5 months before entering Tehran uni and I found learning Persian to be much easier than learning Arabic. Persian has no grammatical gender, for instance.

Anyway, I don't encourage anyone to study in Iran, especially foreign girls!

I am talking from experience, you have no idea how difficult it's to live here, being harrested and assaulted almost everyday just becouse u look different.Unfortunately,foreign women have no rights or opinions in this country...

No at all, most universities they don't require foreign students to speak full Persian.

I studied persian for 3,5 months before entering Tehran uni and I found learning Persian to be much easier than learning Arabic. Persian has no grammatical gender, for instance.

Anyway, I don't encourage anyone to study in Iran, especially foreign girls!

I am talking from experience, you have no idea how difficult it's to live here, being harrested and assaulted almost everyday just becouse u look different.Unfortunately,foreign women have no rights or opinions in this country...

thats really sad to hear i was looking into perhaps doing some religious study in Iran and im a forgien girl :( hmmmm much to contemplate

thats really sad to hear i was looking into perhaps doing some religious study in Iran and im a forgien girl :( hmmmm much to contemplate

She was talking about formal (medical) studies in Tehran, not the Hauza. She told me that the social situations in Qom and Mashhad are different than Tehran.

Edited by 570

Guest Endless Emotion

Who has assaulted you?! Teenagers? Adults? Educated ppl?...

All people are not the same. There are different people here, like other countries.

Are you sure that foreign women have no right here? Have you ever asked the police for help?

In Faresi:

ياداوري اين مسائل منو ناراحت ميكنه :( , چه برسه كه بخواهم در در مورد شون بنويسم ، در ضمن اين مسائل اصلا ارزش گفتن ندارند

I don't want to go into details 'cause even the reflection about what happened in my first study year does make me sad!

I just wish to erase those dark times in my life, and never think of them again.

She was talking about formal (medical) studies in Tehran, not the Hauza. She told me that the social situations in Qom and Mashhad are different than Tehran.

Yupp! As I told you before, it's very different between cities!

People living in Qum and Mashad are very nice and supportive not like those maniac Tehranis.

Anyway, I have no idea about technical sciences but if anyone is interested in medical studies you can send an email to the international office department:

Email:: shabani@ut.ac.ir

Tel number:: 00989195551056

In my case I wanted to study in Qum, but when I sent my application for student loan to CSN ( Swedish financial aid) they didn't approve it.

They told me that just two Iranian universities are accepted in Europe ---- Tehran University of medical Sciences and Shahid Beheshti University (SBU). If I choose other universities they won't grant me a student loan.

The cost of tuition for one medical year is 13 million toman.

W Salam

Oh yes!!! I made a mistake! 10 rials are equal to 1 toman.

It isnt cheap in Iran. But since state universities are free, I think that amount must be much less for students studying in these universities (comparing Azad University).

Yes, for postgraduates but not for undergraduates. Living in Iran, by itself, requires knowing Persian.

I live in Iran, and I don't know Persian! :-)

Who has assaulted you?! Teenagers? Adults? Educated ppl?...

All people are not the same. There are different people here, like other countries.

Are you sure that foreign women have no right here? Have you ever asked the police for help?

Foreigners have very few "rights" in Iran.

They can't own property, can't own a car, can't open a regular bank account (as a rule, foreigners aren't allowed ATM cards).

If you're the "right kind" of foreigner - i.e., Western and wealthy, you'll never get anything but the upmost respect.

But if you look African, Arab, East Asian (i.e. Mongol, Chinese, or even Afghan), South Asian........ and top that off with being female.... it can be tough - depending on where you reside.

Although, it must be said, nowhere near as tough as in Arab countries or Turkey.

Foreigners have very few "rights" in Iran.

They can't own property, can't own a car, can't open a regular bank account (as a rule, foreigners aren't allowed ATM cards).

If you're the "right kind" of foreigner - i.e., Western and wealthy, you'll never get anything but the upmost respect.

But if you look African, Arab, East Asian (i.e. Mongol, Chinese, or even Afghan), South Asian........ and top that off with being female.... it can be tough - depending on where you reside.

Although, it must be said, nowhere near as tough as in Arab countries or Turkey.

Yes I know that UNFORTUNATELY some people of my country (not the majority) are racist and I mostly blame Pahlavi dynasty and the channels I mentioned above for it.

Many Iranians even dont know that Afghans are very close to them ethnically and culturally.

Some of them hate Mongols because several centuries ago they attacked Iran and destroyed our civilization (they had a rule according to which, they had to destroy any living being even trees and animals). I personally hate those Mongols but not those ones who live in our time. Every one is responsible for his own deeds not for his ancestors'.

Some Iranians hate Arabs because they attacked Iran at the time Of Ummar. Some believe that Arabs destroyed Persian civilization. But I believe that Islam speeded up our civilization. It is why during Islamic era, we had a lot of scientists but during Sassanid era, we had very few scientists (because ordinary citizens didnt have any right to education).

Some Iranians also hate Arabs because they have seen some bad behaviours from them. But it is not fair to generalize about the whole people of a nation.

I personally, only hate bad people and I dont care their race or religion. If they are good people, I respect them.

As to black people from Africa or Latin America, I think many people have better attitudes towards them. I know a black woman from Latin America who married an Iranian man.

As to owning lands, yes, foreigners can not own land. It is a rule in many countries because it may cause some problems (remember how zionists occupied Palestine through buying their lands).

But foreign citizens can have bank accounts if they fulfil the requirements.

As to owning cars, I dont have any information but I think many foreign ambassadors have their own cars.

Edited by shadow_of_light

As to black people from Africa or Latin America, I think many people have better attitudes towards them. I know a black woman from Latin America who married an Iranian man.

That part I have to disagree with. It can be a real shock for black people from the West and Africa to come and live in Iran and to deal with the in your face, overt racism of the place when it comes to how Iranians often treat blacks. From getting taunted in the street, strangers calling you out as "siyah poost", to even violence, it's all there to a level which makes the US look like a racially enlightened paradise in comparison. And I'm talking about Qum here, the one place you'd hope that should be above such attitudes. It's not so shocking though when you realize that as late as the 1980s, Iranian TV would still broadcast blackface comedy (until it was finally banned, though of course you still have the blackface hajji firuz in the meanwhile).

From what I've seen Iran is just a very insular country without much of a clear idea of what the outside world is like. We used to joke how we could have said pretty much anything about where our countries were located and people might've believed us, or how to explain where anything else in the world was we could just say it's past Mashhad. I don't think all of the racism is due to everyone being evil or something (though some are), it's just an ignorance of there being much of a world existing beyond Iran's borders. I think you'd find much the same attitudes in any country that is in a similar situation as that, though with Iran it does get somewhat compounded by the ethnic nationalism some of the people can suffer from, an attitude inherited from the long bygone days of being a great empire perhaps.

Many Iranians even dont know that Afghans are very close to them ethnically and culturally.

Some of them hate Mongols because several centuries ago they attacked Iran and destroyed our civilization (they had a rule according to which, they had to destroy any living being even trees and animals). I personally hate those Mongols but not those ones who live in our time. Every one is responsible for his own deeds not for his ancestors'.

Some Iranians hate Arabs because they attacked Iran at the time Of Ummar. Some believe that Arabs destroyed Persian civilization. But I believe that Islam speeded up our civilization. It is why during Islamic era, we had a lot of scientists but during Sassanid era, we had very few scientists (because ordinary citizens didnt have any right to education).

Some Iranians also hate Arabs because they have seen some bad behaviours from them. But it is not fair to generalize about the whole people of a nation.

What is it with Iranians and their 'civilisation'? Who cares if the Arabs invated 1400 years ago (which did after all bring Islam to Persia), or the Mongols did 800 years ago? It's unbelievable that people are actually racist on the basis of something that happened so long ago.

What do you expect from ignorant teenagers who ridicule each other just because of football match?! They even make jokes about different ethnic groups in Iran (Persians, Turks, Lurs, ...) while their own parents belong to these groups. But most adults dont dislike black people.

Which comedy are you talking about? Haji Firuz is a traditional characteristic. It was not created to offend black people. Anyway, I am not interested in this figure.

The word "siah poost", by itself, is not a racist word. It means someone who has a black skin. "Sefid poost" means someone who has a white skin. But, yes, depending on the context, it can be offensive.

As to your last line, I belive that racism is what Pahlavi dynasty created in Iran. You may have heard some things about "The 2500 year celebration of the Persian Empire ". Beforehand, we did not have such celebration!!! Even many of the scholars in different fields wrote their books in Arabic and it shows that they were not racist.

There are many websites and channels which brainwash the youth every day. They say that Arabs and Islam are the reason of our misery. They destroyed our civilization. We are Aryans. We are children of Cyrus. We dont need an Arabic religion and ...

Anyway, as I said, I am very sad to see this stupid racism in my country :cry:

Edited by shadow_of_light

shadow of light, your causality is all wrong.

Under the Pahlavis, there were many foreigners in Iran, and they actually recieved preferential treatment under the law. (remember, that was one of Khomeini's complaints, that Americans were not subject to Iranian law)

Now, foreigners are discriminated against under the law (not allowed to own land, start businesses, own a car, get a regular bank account - not to mention the mass legal discrimination against Afghans).