Sign in to follow this  
Belle.Muslimah

Are Birthdays Haram?

Rate this topic

Asalamu Alaikom,

I was wondering and im sure its been asked before, but what is the Islamic take on Birthdays? are they not allowed? or is it ok to celebrate them? and what are the rules and regulations/limits If any?

Thanks in advance Wasalams :)

Trick question: how many birthdays does the average human being have. Any takers?.... yup, you guessed it. only one. (you only get born once, unless you count being a revert or a born-again-christian, but biologically speaking, it's pretty tough to come out of a uterus for a second time..)

Birthday commemorations should mark the achievements and stands a person has taken up to that point in their life, and remembering those stands and making commitments to grow from them, should be the primary objective. gifts are nice too (the new ipad seems pretty neat, and my birthday is coming soon... hint hint. just messing, my bday's ages away).

A lot of muslims have difficulties to understand why followers of Ahlul Bait celebrate their bdays with such fervour. They say, if you celebrate their bday to rememeber them as role models, then you should remember them everyday, and not need an excuse to celebrate a particular day. I don't need fancy powerpoint presentations to explain that remembering certain dates in history is ingrained in human nature, it's just plain logic. Also i am certain there are verses in the Quran that support this, but a particular verse doesn't come to mind. Does anyone out there have an idea which verses i'm thinking of??

And Allah knows best

Getting smiles and wishes from everyone, being flooded with Facebook notifications and going out to eat in a fine restaurant with family and treating friends is a nice way to celebrate birthdays. :)

Wahhabis used to say that the radio and telephone are haram as well, a few decades ago. They used to recently say that televisions are haram. But I guess the chief wahhabi cleric got a revelation which made the above things halal.

But they will never make birthdays halal, because then they wouldnt' be able to condemn the shia for celebrating the birthdays of the Imams and Prophets.

some strange answers haha okayyy ......

Sister, I apologize. Most of us were being very sarcastic, which was rude to you.

Celebrating birthdays is not haraam as long as you don't do any haraam activities while celebrating. Some popular activities are music, mingling with the opposite sex, drinking, etc. These things are all haraam, but having a small get together with your family, or a special dinner for your birthday is not haraam.

The Wahhabists tell people that it's haraam because it's bid'ah. It's only bid'ah if you consider celebrating your birthday to be an Islamic practice, which it's not. That's like saying that driving a car is haraam because it's bid'ah. After all, Muhammad never drove a car.

lol all good thanks i guess i kinda knew, i just wanted clarification that i wasnt just being ignorant, i have still been celebrating birthdays (minus the drinking etc etc)

and i just wanted to make sure i wasnt just making my own rules

Thanks for replying even the sarcasim ....ah where would we be without it :P

Edited by Belle.Muslimah