Sign in to follow this  
Belle.Muslimah

Revert/convert To Islam & New To Melbourne

Asalamu alaikom, I am a revert/convert to islam (btw what is the correct term?) Its been 3.5 years since I said my shahada alhumdulillah, I have just moved to west melbourne (aust) from adelaide, and I feel abit isolated atm as I dont know any other muslim sisters here, I wanted to know if therea re there any commuinty or sisters gatherings, group/classes e

tc thanks jazakallah khair

Dear Sister,

I am a convert based in South East Melbourne, the main Muslim areas are North (Coburg surrounds) and West (Hopper's Crossing). You're doing OK so far!

Fawkner's Imam Ali Islamic Centre is your best bet if you are a English-only speaker like myself and have a few converts in regular attendance. Through IAIC you get to know about other gatherings happening around Melbourne by text.

Panjtan is in out West in St Albans, but they are Urdu/Hindi speaking Pakistani/Indian and there is not much in the way of English lectures but occasionally they invite someone who does so it's worth keeping an eye on their website, which they do update http://www.panjtan.org.au/ and is handy anyway for islamic dates and prayer times.

Revert/Convert. I like convert but equally I know others who prefer revert.

Might see you around,

Ruqayyah

Salam sister Ruqayyah_Badami thank you for your reply, i attended the IAIC on friday night it looked good :) it was also double helpful as they have childrens class there too which my daughter enjoyed to, so inshallah we shall attend reguarly, do you attend the english lectures there sister?

Salaam sister, sorry for the late reply, I attend when I can but I live very far from the Muslim areas I told you about!

If you look at IAIC's facebook at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Imam-Ali-Islamic-Center/116498771752521

There is another lady looking to start a Shia ladies' group, which would be lovely!

Salam Belle.Muslimah and to all sisters :)

Belle.Muslimah Inshallah you settling into Melbourne.

I have come across you post in a search for reverts or english speaking muslims women. I am also living in West Melbourne and feeling the need to expand my network. I am a English-only speaker in an Urdu speaking community which also leaves me feeling some what isolated as times.

Did you find any commuinty or sisters gatherings, group/classes in West Melbourne. When I first converted I used to go to a great class/gathering at the Virgin Mary mosqu in Hoppers Crossing on Friday Nights lead by a revert. I'm in the process of seeing if it is still running. Ideally would like a gathering that have other reverts/converts.

jazakallah

Sister Zahra, you forgot to give sister Belle our full group address:

https://www.facebook...ianShiaReverts/

;)

Salam Alaykum Sister Belle,

MashaAllah for reverting back to Shia Islam, may Allah subhana wa ta'ala bless and reward you! :)

I am one of the Australian Shia Revert Facebook group admin that sister Zahra was talking about and if you join us there, you will also meet a beautiful sister named Elizabeth (who is also the admin). She is a revert and is also in Melbourne. Not only would she be a wonderful guide to you (especially now that you're new in Melbourne) and help you to connect further within the Shia Community there but she also is holding up a social gatherings for all Melbourne revert sisters. I think this event is for this weekend? So better hurry up and join us!

Jazakallah Khair,

Sister Aaliyah

Edited by aaliyah_

Salam sister Ruqayyah_Badami thank you for your reply, i attended the IAIC on friday night it looked good :) it was also double helpful as they have childrens class there too which my daughter enjoyed to, so inshallah we shall attend reguarly, do you attend the english lectures there sister?

Salaam Belle, how is it all going?

Ruqayyah

Salam u alaykom,

In sha Allah I'm moving to Melbourne. My work place will be in North Sunshine, and I wanna rely on pulic transport and not buy a car. And also I wanna be in a muslim area so I can see lots of muslims around me when doing shoping, etc.

do you think Coburg is an ideal place for me?

by the way, I'm in sha Allah planning to buy not rent!

jazakomollaho khairan

assalam u alaykom