Sign in to follow this  
shiasoul

So We're Supposed To Follow Bibi Fatima, Right...?

Rate this topic

Salaam Alaykum, this will be a long post but please bear with me.

So you know how we're supposed to take Bibi Fatima as our only/ultimate example when it comes to hijab. Okay... but what was her hijab like? She's not here, so how are we supposed to know?

I know we can all agree that hijab is wajib for Muslims. (And I say wajib because it's clearly written in the Qur'an, PS hijab does not mean "headscarf")

A girl could say, all you need is the hijab of the heart. Don't have a boyfriend but it's okay to date. She'll think this is okay because Bibi Fatima didn't have a boyfriend so she'll believe that this is practicing hijab correctly.

Another girl could say, I want to wear hijab. And by this, she means a piece of cloth on her head. Whether she wears short sleeves, tights, a short and/or tight top that show the outline of her bosom, her neck showing, with her hair fully styled purposely to come out of her scarf, the list goes on. She'll think this is okay because Bibi Fatima wore hijab (by this, she means a piece of cloth on her head) so she'll believe that this is practicing hijab correctly.

Another would say, no we should wear long, loose-fitting clothes up to the wrists and toes, with absolutely no hair showing, and wear dull colors. We should also refrain from speaking with the opposite gender for leisure, either in person or on the Internet. She'll think this is okay, so she'll believe that this is practicing hijab correctly. And then she could say, I won't post any photos up of myself in case na mahram see me and examine my features, as this gives them the permission.

Another girl would say, we should wear an abaya, pants show the shape of the legs. Another will say, abaya is not enough, you need an Iranian chador, another would say you need a niqab, another would say you need a burqa, another would say your shadow shouldn't seen, another would say you shouldn't even come out of your house

I'm only referring to the physical hijab here and as you can see, the last points are how Bibi Zaynab and Bibi Fatima practiced hijab as I've heard that Imam Ali would blow out the candles when they visit the Prophet's tomb so her shadow wouldn't be seen, they also used to cover their faces, I don't recall ever hearing about them wearing colors, only black.

So what is the perfect hijab? And I'm talking about the hijab of Fatima (as), not your definition of hijab.

A perfect Hijab would be to imagine Fatima (as) present in all the scenes of our life ..Imagine that she is watching us walking, eating ,acting ,behaving ,speaking ... We would behave well if she is around and we would also have this type of embarrassment which will make us better human beings . so Number 1 : to behave well .

because hijab doesn't cover only the hair, but it covers the actions..it puts a veil between falsehood and truth . By that I mean it puts a wall between all which is bad (bad manners) and good .

Number 2 : hijab is Humanity : Just like Sayed Modaressi said. ''Hijab covers femininity to display humanity'' . That sentence says it all . Instead of submitting to media, to society, to how people want to see me dressed, i should submit to God , to how HE wants me to be, to dress .

after these 2 concepts are understood..a modest Hijab will automatically come by itself .. the spiritual first, and then the physical .

A perfect Hijab would be to imagine Fatima (as) present in all the scenes of our life ..Imagine that she is watching us walking, eating ,acting ,behaving ,speaking ... We would behave well if she is around and we would also have this type of embarrassment which will make us better human beings . so Number 1 : to behave well .

because hijab doesn't cover only the hair, but it covers the actions..it puts a veil between falsehood and truth . By that I mean it puts a wall between all which is bad (bad manners) and good .

Number 2 : hijab is Humanity : Just like Sayed Modaressi said. ''Hijab covers femininity to display humanity'' . That sentence says it all . Instead of submitting to media, to society, to how people want to see me dressed, i should submit to God , to how HE wants me to be, to dress .

after these 2 concepts are understood..a modest Hijab will automatically come by itself .. the spiritual first, and then the physical .

But then the question comes up, how do we know if we're going too far?

perfect hijab is the hijab of fatima as - as u said her shadow was not observed.

we can strive for perfection but the very minimum is what we need to make sure we have covered properly! many of us cant even manage that!

minimum hijab = hair fully concealed, body figure not showing, no make up, not excessively coloured/patterned in a way that draws the eye, not too much perfume that might attract, no OTT jewelry. and for the spiritual aspect, keeping gender interaction limited to whats necessary, not attracting to much attention in the way you speak/laugh/walk etc. guarding ur eyes from looking at a male. and being sincere in all ur efforts and actions regarding the hijab.

how many of us have that nailed?

(salam)

going too far in what sense ?

as in wearing long Abaya's ?

or as in wearing tight clothes ?

Both. We want to wear it the way she wore it. And she covered her face. It's not wajib to cover the face, but should we still do it because she did it?

As for the second one, how do we know if we're falling too short of the requirements. You'll say: keep interaction with men to a minimum. So why do I talk to them a lot on something like SC (for example, since we're already here)?

perfect hijab is the hijab of fatima as - as u said her shadow was not observed.

we can strive for perfection but the very minimum is what we need to make sure we have covered properly! many of us cant even manage that!

minimum hijab = hair fully concealed, body figure not showing, no make up, not excessively coloured/patterned in a way that draws the eye, not too much perfume that might attract, no OTT jewelry. and for the spiritual aspect, keeping gender interaction limited to whats necessary, not attracting to much attention in the way you speak/laugh/walk etc. guarding ur eyes from looking at a male. and being sincere in all ur efforts and actions regarding the hijab.

how many of us have that nailed?

How do we know what exactly the minimum is? I wear pants with a long top and someone else wears tights with a long top and they both think they're perfect

well marjas havent whether x item of clothing is ok or not. the rule is ur figure shouldnt show. with tights, the shape of ur legs show so thats a no-no. are ur pants loose? how loose and long is the long top? theres no absolute cutoof. most, take a knee length top which is not figure hugging with trousers to be fine.

I think it's less of a matter of what shows and more of a matter what is accentuated and why. Even nuns in training will wear a dress where their knees are showing, but one can't say their intention is to entice men.

''So what is the perfect hijab? And I'm talking about the hijab of Fatima (as), not your definition of hijab''

The hijab of Sayeda Fatima is beyond perfection. we can not truly understand it, its beyond comprehension. that's the reality. I have never claimed to have the hijab of Sayeda Zahraa, when I see some women claim it, I seem not able to understand. we can have hijab that meets the criteria set by our scholars based on their understanding, like sister AR2011 mentioned, no make up,no accessories, good akhlaq in public, no talking in loud voices or laugh, limitation b/n the other gender and so on... which I think I have/do and many sisters do/have as well. but still we can not say we have 'Her hijab'. we're all in the process of it and should never judge other sisters based on our limited understanding of what the hijab of Sayeda was... our knowledge is highly limited when it comes to this. may Allah help us all understand it better each day, Ameen.

Edited by Ismahan007

So now let's say that someone has met all the criteria but she wants to advance. (still talking about clothing here). How do we know what the next level up is? Is it abaya, covering the face...? Because we should never think we're fine, that will mean we think we're perfect.

hijab isnt the only area we can work on. sure u can wear an abaya etc. but also dont neglect other aspects of ur deen. try to maximise everything.

True that. So pretty much, strengthen everything and then when everything is balanced, you'll know what to do to become even better?

Bismehe Ta3ala,

Assalam Alikum.

Unfortunatly, the 3baya rass here in Lebanon, some women have corrupted it. They are now making classes for women to teach them how to wear the 3baya properly. Instead of allowing the 3baya to be loose like it is and stay a few inches above the ground, girls are grabing it and walking with it on the side with their high heels. This process shows what type of jeans or black pants they are wearing too. They are perverting the 3baya and I'm afraid a few years down the line the abuse will continue and it is already considered fashionable! You ask the girls why they wear it, their answer is not because this is what Fatymah al Zahra a.s. would wear, but because I look good in it, and it shows my shaped eyebrows and black looks good with my skin complexion.

There are many women who wear teh 3baya rass properly and carry themselves well. Insh'Allah it stays this way.

M3 Salamah, FE AMIN Allah

On 17/05/2012 at 2:34 AM, shiasoul said:

Salaam Alaykum, this will be a long post but please bear with me.

So you know how we're supposed to take Bibi Fatima as our only/ultimate example when it comes to hijab. Okay... but what was her hijab like? She's not here, so how are we supposed to know?

I know we can all agree that hijab is wajib for Muslims. (And I say wajib because it's clearly written in the Qur'an, PS hijab does not mean "headscarf")

A girl could say, all you need is the hijab of the heart. Don't have a boyfriend but it's okay to date. She'll think this is okay because Bibi Fatima didn't have a boyfriend so she'll believe that this is practicing hijab correctly.

Another girl could say, I want to wear hijab. And by this, she means a piece of cloth on her head. Whether she wears short sleeves, tights, a short and/or tight top that show the outline of her bosom, her neck showing, with her hair fully styled purposely to come out of her scarf, the list goes on. She'll think this is okay because Bibi Fatima wore hijab (by this, she means a piece of cloth on her head) so she'll believe that this is practicing hijab correctly.

Another would say, no we should wear long, loose-fitting clothes up to the wrists and toes, with absolutely no hair showing, and wear dull colors. We should also refrain from speaking with the opposite gender for leisure, either in person or on the Internet. She'll think this is okay, so she'll believe that this is practicing hijab correctly. And then she could say, I won't post any photos up of myself in case na mahram see me and examine my features, as this gives them the permission.

Another girl would say, we should wear an abaya, pants show the shape of the legs. Another will say, abaya is not enough, you need an Iranian chador, another would say you need a niqab, another would say you need a burqa, another would say your shadow shouldn't seen, another would say you shouldn't even come out of your house

I'm only referring to the physical hijab here and as you can see, the last points are how Bibi Zaynab and Bibi Fatima practiced hijab as I've heard that Imam Ali would blow out the candles when they visit the Prophet's tomb so her shadow wouldn't be seen, they also used to cover their faces, I don't recall ever hearing about them wearing colors, only black.

So what is the perfect hijab? And I'm talking about the hijab of Fatima (as), not your definition of hijab.

If u wish to know about the hijab of the women of the ahlulbayt, it was quite severe and no woman can follow it today. They didn't even step out of their houses at night and neither did anyone see them or heard their voices. Take Bibi Fatima for example. Her hijab was also like this. Even when she went to talk about fadak, she took her burka on her head to cover her face and some narrations say she even tied a scarf around her head as a small turban. She took her cloak or her chador. She wore a long gown and even though her feet were covered, she stepped on her gown as she walked so there was not even a single possibility for someone to see her. Despite all, she called for the women of bani Hashim and gathered them around her so no one would even see her hijab. After coming to the court, she asked for a curtain to be placed between her and the men. Now obviously this is more than perfect as this is the hijab of Bibi Fatima. Now the hijab according to the Quran is, if summarised, for them to wear a scarf, a loose garment like an abaya, and socks. Also maintaining their modesty. To keep themselves from further attraction, like strong perfumes and bright colours, there are more rules of the sharia. Imam Jafar Sadiq himself has said that it is permissible for a women to reveal the oval of her face and her hands up to the wrists while the rest must be covered.