Jump to content
Ruq

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, notme said:

 The little ones eat like little ones:

                           

My general habit is to only cook one meal per day. The rest, if not leftovers, is sandwiches or canned or packaged stuff that most of the kids can prepare for themselves. 

The "canned or packaged stuff" isn't really any different than feeding a cat or dog,... isn't it?   :D

l do hope you rinse the bowls out.  l do mine. l figure these will be sanitized when they go back into the microwave with the next meal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, notme said:

The teenagers are responsible for cleaning the dishes in the dishwasher daily. Not my job, but they do alright. 

What do you need a dishwasher for? Allah-s.w.t. gave you TWO hands for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

So I soak the rice for short while before boiling and then just before they boil completely (still slightly hard). I take them off the hob and drain them. I then pour cold water over them to get rid of the starch while they are in a sieve and then put them back in a pot after greasing a little with margarine/oil. I then leave them on very low heat until they are nicely done. Clumped together means they are overcooked, you can also add spices such as cumin seeds etc if you wish to give them a little flavour. 

Ana Shukhru laki ya Ukhti

I tend to know their done when they float up in large groups, what is your sign?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

I never met a pasta that I didn't like. :blush: 

Any pearls of wisdom as to how best to cook Pasta and your top tips? I also love Pasta, particularly Tuna, Mayo, sweetcorn pasta.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Intellectual Resistance said:

Ana Shukhru laki ya Ukhti

I tend to know their done when they float up in large groups, what is your sign?

You're welcome ya Akhi, yes the same.

Breakfast time and I will have a banana!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Intellectual Resistance said:

Any pearls of wisdom as to how best to cook Pasta and your top tips? I also love Pasta, particularly Tuna, Mayo, sweetcorn pasta.

I always read the box or bag of pasta for the suggested time to cook it, because depending on the size of the pasta it might be anywhere from 6 - 15 minutes! Drain the cooked pasta in a colander or mesh strainer and return to the pot. Some like more sauce and some like less, so I let everyone put their own sauce on their pasta (Spaghetti Sauce or Pesto Sauce or Alfredo Sauce). That way nobody can complain that their pasta is too wet, too dry or too green, etc. :rolleyes: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hameedeh said:

I always read the box or bag of pasta for the suggested time to cook it, because depending on the size of the pasta it might be anywhere from 6 - 15 minutes! Drain the cooked pasta in a colander or mesh strainer and return to the pot. Some like more sauce and some like less, so I let everyone put their own sauce on their pasta (Spaghetti Sauce or Pesto Sauce or Alfredo Sauce). That way nobody can complain that their pasta is too wet, too dry or too green, etc. :rolleyes: 

Great advice sister, thank you.

On another note, guys i just made one of the best Pizzas i have ever made in my life and i don't know how i did it because i'm not a good cook. Here's what i did (after so many failed attempts):

1. Don't use plain flour, use bread-flour, the Pizza will be much fluffier.

2. Take hot water, maybe 230ml-280ml and put it into the bread-machine (kneads it for you). 

3. Put fast-acting yeast 

4. Put a teaspoon of sugar to help the yeast have energy/resource

5. Add one 'cup' of flour [google what a 'cup' is in cooking language, it isn't like a glass you drink from, it's a ready made like mini-plastic thing you can buy]

6. Mix for 1 minute

7. Add a teaspoon of salt, and the second cup, along with two table spoons of vegetable oil

8. Turn the machine on, and mix it again for 30 seconds

9. Add the third and final cup of flour.

10. Mix it for 15 minutes, so the bread and its fibres stretch and it will give you amazing dough.

11. Once mixed, turn off the machine, put very little oil into a container and spread it around

12. With the dough, fold it inwards so the outside and top is smooth, and try to roll it into a ball by hitting it from the sides with your hands - the inner palm area.

13. Put it inside the container, cover it with cling-film and let it rise - come back after an hour

14. With your hands, put the dough into a baking tray and start to spread it out evently

15. Add cheese around the edges for stuffed-crust, and then pinch them tight and form a border around so you have a thick crust with cheese in it, in a border sealed away all around the edges. Poke holes all over it with a fork - this will help it rise.

16. Put your Pizza-Tomato base , i used Dominos, and i also make my own at times

17. Add a thin layer of Mozeralla cheese

18. On Gas Mark 7, bake it for 10 minutes in the oven so the crust can  start to harden 

19. Take it out, add your toppings, and add more cheese on top.

20.  Bake it, and take it out when the crust turns a good brown colour, with some dark brown streaks - keep checking on it to see what you prefer and how cooked you like it

The result is a very fluffy, delicious stuffed-crust Pizza that is far better than enduring take-away Pizza from cheap take-aways like i've done. Never again - make your own. If i can do it, anyone can do it. 

Advice:

1. Don't add too much water or else the dough will be way too sticky, err on the side of caution - you can always add more

2. Don't use self-raising flour, because it will taste like cake in a sense, and not savoury.

3. Mozzarella cheese is far better than using Cheddar.

4. Practise makes perfect, i made many terrible Pizzas and i learned more from my mistakes than when i got things right. 

I'll be back in a month inshAllah, happy cooking and Alhamdullilah for the food we have!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IMG_20180117_111606687.jpg

Brunch casserole.

It's got canned biscuits, crumbled turkey sausage, shredded cheddar cheese, eggs, milk, and gravy. Quite delicious, actually. 

Edited by notme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2018 at 6:53 PM, Haji 2003 said:

I had to google what these are.

I knew someone British would comment. Biscuits are not cookies here, they're a flaky quick bread, often served with gravy. Or jam. Either is good. 

Canned biscuits are one of the few canned items I occasionally buy. Homemade is much better of course, but canned are just so convenient. 

Tonight's supper resembled this image from Google:

easy-italian-pasta-salad-2.jpg

Edited by notme
Swap image for one that works

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh my goodness this Chocolate Candy Cane Black Tea is amazing! I've been waiting eagerly for my online order to arrive. I am well pleased.

IMG_20180123_133506202.jpg

Edited by notme
Again with the images not showing!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, notme said:

Oh my goodness this Chocolate Candy Cane Black Tea is amazing! I've been waiting eagerly for my online order to arrive. I am well pleased.

IMG_20180123_133506202.jpg

This looks like barley and burnt rice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, hasanhh said:

This looks like barley and burnt rice.

The camera flash washed out the color a bit, but it's tea leaves, peppermint leaves, and cocoa bits. It made a most interesting and tasty tea, with just a little sugar. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, notme said:

The camera flash washed out the color a bit, but it's tea leaves, peppermint leaves, and cocoa bits. It made a most interesting and tasty tea, with just a little sugar. 

Couldn't you just by regular tea, peppermint and a can of cocoa and save a few $s?   :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2018 at 9:04 AM, hasanhh said:

Couldn't you just by regular tea, peppermint and a can of cocoa and save a few $s?   :D

Probably, but I'm not sure it would have cost less. Besides, I'd never tried chocolate tea and didn't want to commit to a large amount at this time. Maybe next time I'll evaluate the cost of buying the ingredients separately. I usually have tea leaves and peppermint leaves on hand. I've never shopped for cocoa beans. I have cocoa powder, but I don't think it would work. 

Ate: last night's supper was roasted potatoes, steamed mixed vegetables, and sweet rolls. It was good. Satisfying.

Eating: breakfast of coffee with milk and a bit of home dried beef jerky. I think an apple or an orange will finish it off nicely.

Will eat: leftover beef stew on mashed potatoes for lunch and homemade pizza for supper. I like my pizza with jalapeño, onion, and pineapple. Some of the kids prefer cheese only. I'll make both, inshaAllah.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2018 at 9:45 AM, notme said:

Probably, but I'm not sure it would have cost less. Besides, I'd never tried chocolate tea and didn't want to commit to a large amount at this time. Maybe next time I'll evaluate the cost of buying the ingredients separately. I usually have tea leaves and peppermint leaves on hand. I've never shopped for cocoa beans. I have cocoa powder, but I don't think it would work.   Thumbs Up

 ...  homemade pizza for supper. I like my pizza with jalapeño, ...   :fever:"Yarrabi"

:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×