Ruq

Ate/Eating/Will Eat?

Rate this topic

Coffee with milk, same as always, and a piece of my oat bread (previously mentioned) with butter. I don't like a sweet breakfast, but simple is fine. 

Tonight's supper is supposed to be "deluxe baked potato" but I only have two potatoes. I can either shop for groceries, or make another plan. 

On 11/19/2017 at 10:02 AM, starlight said:

Made these for dinner with egg fried rice . While my son jumps excitedly every time he sees me making these, my daughter thinks I am being oppressive by making her finish her portion.

I love it when kids leave food, great excuse to have theirs. 

On 21/09/2017 at 4:40 PM, Marbles said:

When we stopped for chai on a roadside truck restaurant...

facebook_1505150538039.jpg.647aedb28689b13801e522279a4f7ca0.jpg

Pakistani idea of a roadside truck restaurant seems far upmarket compared to everywhere else. 

Yarrabi.

l have had "the munchies" all night.

Double Cheeseburger with a large bowl of potatoes.

Then a candy bar.

Then a nap.

Then a double bologna sandwich with cheese.

Another candy bar.

Handfuls of dry cereal.

Half a bar of cheese.

A vitamin pill --because maybe my decrepit body needs a mineral or something.

And now, tea.

Oh well,  :eat: bon appetizer

I will have spaghetti and noodles for breakfast.   :eat:

Well, it is not Xmas candy.

Truthfully, l do not know why l get lumpy spaghetti.

Maybe 'clumps' is a more accurate word.

l put cheese on top with sauce and beans.

While it was cooking, it looked a lot like this:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0XMvzeqWoM 

Some of those 'plops' came up an inch or more.

Could you please post recipes with some of these dishes.  

33 minutes ago, Intellectual Resistance said:

Could you please post recipes with some of these dishes.  

It's not a long recipe. Just put some olive oil in the bottom of a pot. Break-up the spaghetti. Add some egg noodle, too. Dump in half a can of beans. Dump in some basil and pepper with a dash of sodium chloride. Slices of cheese. Add hot water out of the tap --it is already heated. Place on stove top. Bring to a boil with the lid on. Take the lid off to let the steam out and to prevent boil-bubble over. Repeat as necessary and continue with the heat turned off. Take lid off for last time. Go do something else --like SC. Then go back and most of your concoction is ready-to-eat in about half an hour.  Use a separate bowl if desired. When finished, set pot in sink, add some cold water and soap and let sit until needed again.

The other day I made some chicken with green beans and cranberries. I thought I was going to have the leftover of that for lunch, but someone had eaten all the chicken and left the vegetables, so instead I had a green beans and cranberries sandwich on garlic bread. It actually was quite good. Highly recommend. 

I've got BBQ beans and cornbread planned for supper. A side salad would be nice, but that would require going out into the cold, so most likely we will go without. 

6 hours ago, notme said:

I don't use recipes. I just improvise. 

You know, after spending five hour a day cooking for the last two weeks, i've realised recipes are only a guide and that actually, experience and improvising based ones experience and judgement yields better results and is more practical sometimes as we may never have the same exact ingredients , time etc.

Edited by Intellectual Resistance

I do look at recipes when I'm cooking something totally new, but it's more fun to cook freehand.

Beans and cornbread also makes an excellent breakfast. 

Tonight's supper is planned to be eggs and potatoes. I'll probably pick up a couple tomatoes to go with, and maybe I'll bake a quick bread if I have time. There won't be any leftovers. 

:ko:

On ‎12‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 9:09 AM, notme said:

Coffee with milk, same as always, and a piece of my oat bread (previously mentioned) with butter. I don't like a sweet breakfast, but simple is fine. 

Tonight's supper is supposed to be "deluxe baked potato" but I only have two potatoes. I can either shop for groceries, or make another plan.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, notme said:

The other day I made some chicken with green beans and cranberries [:tongueangry:] . I thought I was going to have the left alone leftover of that for lunch, but someone had eaten all the chicken and left the vegetables, so instead I had a green beans and cranberries sandwich on garlic  bread. It actually was quite good. Highly recommend. 

I've got BBQ beans and cornbread planned for supper. A side salad would be nice,-there is a phone for that- but that would require going out into the cold, oh poor you so most likely we will go without. Ma always sent me.

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 2:11 PM, notme said:

I don't use recipes. I just improvise[don't you mean 'experimental substitution' ?]

23 hours ago, notme said:

I do look at recipes when I'm cooking something totally new, but it's more fun to cook freehand. 'Fun' for you but probably not 'fun' for the culinary captives.

Beans and cornbread also makes an excellent breakfast.  :fever: "Oooohh, gawd. plezzzz help."

Tonight's supper is planned to be eggs and potatoes. I'll probably pick up a couple tomatoes to go with, l hope you are aware this doesn't mean "stems and pieces" like with mushrooms --or the leaves...

and maybe I'll bake a quick bread if I have time. Buying it iz even quicker --and safer.

There won't be any leftovers. How about "startovers" ?

l surmise you are within view of being the gastronomical disaster my mother was.

9 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

:ko:

l surmise you are within view of being the gastronomical disaster my mother was.

My people like my cooking. 

There is a possibility that they don't know any better, but I can say for certain that my cooking is better than my mother's and my mother's cooking is better than her mother's. My grandmother is the worst cook I've ever been required to sample. My mom's food is all bland - she doesn't like seasoning except salt. I didn't know spicy food existed until I was adult. 

Last night's breakfast for supper was popular, as expected no leftovers. I didn't bake a bread. Those who wanted it ate bland squishy American style store bought sliced bread. 

I haven't had breakfast yet. I'm contemplating leftover tuna macaroni, but if I see something better I'll have that. Tuna macaroni is a food that I neither particularly like nor particularly dislike, but it is filling and satisfying.

Tonight's supper is planned to be stuffed peppers. That'll be lean ground beef with garlic, onion, and Italian seasoning, mixed with rice and baked inside green bell peppers. I'll have to be sure to leave extra beef and rice, because two of my children don't like green pepper. 

It's cold in my house still. Today seems like a good day to bake that loaf of bread that I didn't do yesterday. 

6 hours ago, notme said:

My people like my cooking.   l thought your Army service was over. And you are a Mess SGT ?

There is a possibility that they don't know any better, but I can say for certain that my cooking is better than my mother's and my mother's cooking is better than her mother's. My grandmother is the worst cook I've ever been required to sample. My mom's food is all bland - she doesn't like seasoning except salt. I didn't know spicy food existed until I was adult. My mother's cooking was terrible. Even criminal.

Here is an example that one of my adult women students tried. She said she believed me but she just had to try to do it.

Mom had found this newspaper article with Porcupine Balls as the name. Take hamburger, mix in rice and cook in the oven. The rice sticks out like a porcupine's quills.

So she'd make these and then freeze them in the deep freeze. Then she'd take some out, put them on a cookie sheet and then put them in the oven at low/~melt  for three to four hours. Then we she served them they'd be black and crispy on the outside and still frozen in the center.

4 minutes ago, hasanhh said:

l thought your Army service was over. And you are a Mess SGT ?

I have family of six which includes two very hungry teenage boys and one hungry husband. The little ones eat like little ones: sometimes a lot but usually a little, and I am the only one who eats a normal amount/single serving. My husband likes to take leftovers to work for his lunch and I eat leftovers for breakfast/lunch when I'm home. So yes, I cook like I'm cooking for an army. 

My general habit is to only cook one meal per day. The rest, if not leftovers, is sandwiches or canned or packaged stuff that most of the kids can prepare for themselves. 

Just made curry and rice for the seventh time in two weeks. I didn't sleep from 1am to 6pm (now) and i cooked after 15 hours of being awake. I seriously am starting to respect what my parents have done , to cook after a long days work, or even after their chores at home consistently for decades. I'm enjoying it, but it gets tiring. 

However, i've got to push through , this might be my only window to get to a good standard of cooking. 

13 minutes ago, Intellectual Resistance said:

Just made curry and rice for the seventh time in two weeks. I didn't sleep from 1am to 6pm (now) and i cooked after 15 hours of being awake. I seriously am starting to respect what my parents have done , to cook after a long days work, or even after their chores at home consistently for decades. I'm enjoying it, but it gets tiring. 

However, i've got to push through , this might be my only window to get to a good standard of cooking. 

A lot of us can never repay what our parents have done/do for us. There's no problem if you don't fancy it but pushing yourself to do it might make it tedious and won't necessarily make you a good cook.

Oh...and try to get some sleep!

I will have lentils and rice for dinner- pic from google images.

dal-bhat-1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Heavenly_Silk said:

A lot of us can never repay what our parents have done/do for us. There's no problem if you don't fancy it but pushing yourself to do it might make it tedious and won't necessarily make you a good cook.

Oh...and try to get some sleep!

I will have lentils and rice for dinner- pic from google images.

dal-bhat-1.jpeg

Very true, nothing can repay the debt.

You know for rice, how do you get it like that?(if yours is similar) I cook mine and just - only just - get them to be separate, but 30 seconds more and they get clumped together. 

Edited by Intellectual Resistance

:salam:

Yesterday I baked a loaf of bread. Yummy but a bit uncooked so I had to place it a second time in the oven.

This evening, I went back to my usual night diet, made mostly of vegetables, crude if possible. So today was black radish, endives, a bit of cheese with nuts and a large glass of zhourat (an infusion made of herbs and flowers). And a square of chocolate.

2 hours ago, Intellectual Resistance said:

Very true, nothing can repay the debt.

You know for rice, how do you get it like that?(if yours is similar) I cook mine and just - only just - get them to be separate, but 30 seconds more and they get clumped together. 

So I soak the rice for short while before boiling and then just before they boil completely (still slightly hard). I take them off the hob and drain them. I then pour cold water over them to get rid of the starch while they are in a sieve and then put them back in a pot after greasing a little with margarine/oil. I then leave them on very low heat until they are nicely done. Clumped together means they are overcooked, you can also add spices such as cumin seeds etc if you wish to give them a little flavour. 

Edited by Heavenly_Silk
Typo.