- -

Photo

(¯`.,~'`'~·._.· Soups Yeah! ·._.·~,.·´¯)

14 replies to this topic

#1 Ruq

Ruq

✲❀✿❁❈❉❂❃

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 03 January 2012 - 05:12 PM

Soups are nice at this time of year arent they? i like quite watery soups generally, but at this time of year i prefer a blended soup. They take longer to digest and keep you fuller for longer and you can pack them with nutrients to help fight off those winter bugs and blues.

Heres two recipes i recently tried and liked:

Spinach soup:

ingredients: oilive oil or butter, 1-2 cloves garlic, 2-3 shallots or one large yellow onion, 100g or more of fresh spinach (i also added kale and half a leak), 1 potato, 250-300ml stock, nutmeg, salt pepper, creme fraiche or sour creme.

method: chop onion, garlic and potato roughly. Fry garlic, onion til it softens a bit, add spinach till it wilts and the diced potato and some nutmeg, salt and black pepper. Desolve stock cube into 250-300ml of hot water and pour in, bring to boil and simmer until potatoes soften (about 15 mins or so). Let it cool a bit and then liquidise. Put back in pan, heat gently and check seasoning. When hot pout into bowls and add a swirl of creme fraiche.

Carrot soup:

ingredients: 3-6 carrots (i only used 3 because i only had 3 and i found it fine, but recommend at least 4 probably), 1 large yellow onion, 2" peice ginger, 2-3 cloves garlic, half tsp to 1 tsp corriander pwd, dash of paprika, salt and black pepper, half to 1 whole stock cube.

methos: saute onion, carrot, garlic, ginger will softened, add corriander, paprika, salt pepper. Pour in water to cover 2 " over veg and sprinkle the stock cube. bring to boil and simmer for about 15 mins or till carrots are cooked. Let cool and liquidise. Return to pan and check seasoning.

curry variation: no corriander or stock cube. add 1 tbsp tomato paste and 3 tbsp Thai red curry paste.
  • Marbles, wonderer, -Enlightened and 3 others like this

#2 Ruq

Ruq

✲❀✿❁❈❉❂❃

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:48 PM

If anyone has a tried and tested recipe for black bean soup
I would be v interested...or any bean soup really

#3 Gypsy

Gypsy

Hal Min Nasirin Yansurna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,509 posts
  • Interests:Exposing hypocrisy and double standards.

Posted 15 January 2012 - 09:27 AM

(salam)
Yeah. I've made black bean soup. It's supposed to be nutritious. Just pick any black bean soup recipe and start experimenting.

Other soups you can also make are
Mushroom
Vegetable
Chicken
Tomato
Lentils

and of course Asian soups like Egg drop, sweet and sour ..etc
  • Ruq and Heavenly Peace like this

#4 Ruq

Ruq

✲❀✿❁❈❉❂❃

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 10:15 PM

Cheers for that Gypsy, not heard of egg drop. Infact not had chinese soup before, i used to make miso all the time though. Did you put coconut milk in you black bean soup?

#5 Gypsy

Gypsy

Hal Min Nasirin Yansurna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,509 posts
  • Interests:Exposing hypocrisy and double standards.

Posted 16 January 2012 - 02:47 PM

I love miso soup. If I could, I'll make it everyday...but unfortunately my husband hates the smell of it. It is rather pungent.

I don't really remember how I made the black bean soup. But rest assure there weren't any coconut milk. I don't put coconut milk in my soup - ever. But you can make great gravies with coconut milk.

Egg drop soup is not easy to make. I hardly make it at home.

Edited by Gypsy, 16 January 2012 - 02:48 PM.

#6 Ruq

Ruq

✲❀✿❁❈❉❂❃

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:56 PM

I made a delicious moroccan soup today.  I used this recipe from the BBC site:

http://www.bbcgoodfo...n-chickpea-soup

I didnt have the celery or broadbeans but added spinach and added an extra half an onion. I also used the garam masala instead of cumin. Didnt have the tinned tomatoes so fried about 6/7 fresh ones with 2 peices of chopped garlic and a teaspoon or so of tomato paste and blended and added that. It was really delicious!! Do try it!
  • Abo_Al7ur likes this

#7 Ruq

Ruq

✲❀✿❁❈❉❂❃

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

Im looking for a good lentil soup recipe if anyones got one. I tried one today (not blended) with

1 finely chopped onion
peice finely grated ginger
2 grated carrots
tsp cumin seeds
chilli flakes
cup or so of red lentils
vegetable stock
lemon juice

It was ok, but seemed to be a bit lacking some how, so any tips on how to improve it would be welcomed.

#8 Ruq

Ruq

✲❀✿❁❈❉❂❃

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

I made courgette soup for first time today and i found this recipe to be delish!:

recipe says serves 4 (which means it serves 2).

1 tbsp chopped garlic

a handful of basil leaves

sea salt and white pepper (i used black though)

1kg courgettes (about 3)

7050 ml/1 and a quarter pints of chicken stock ( i used vegetable stock)

60ml/2 fl single cream (i didnt add any dairy but would have probably used yogurt)

handful flatleaf parsley (i didnt bother with this)

50g/2oz grated parmesan (i didnt bother with this either as only really like it on pasta)

Method:

Heat up some olive oil and add chopped courgettes (discs) and finely chopped garlic and pinch of salt, after a mine or two add roughly chopped basil and cook slowly until softened and a little browned.

add pepper to taste and the stock and simmer (uncovered) for 8 or so mins. Remove from heat and let cool a bit.

Blend half the mixture in a food processor and return the mixture to heat.

Stir in cream, parsley and parmesan if desired.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I found it to be comforting and refreshing at same time. :)

#9 Ruq

Ruq

✲❀✿❁❈❉❂❃

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 06:45 PM

Does no one else here enjoy soup? :huh:

Ive been enjoying this Basil and tomatoe soup the last couple of days. He (Jamie Oliver) suggests leaving the green bits from the vine on the tomatoes to add extra taste. It is indeed very tastey, but even after blending thoroughly, the stalk left little woody bits in the soup, so i suggest straining it through a seive after blending.

2 carrots

• 2 sticks celery

• 2 medium onions

• 2 cloves garlic

• olive oil

• 2 organic chicken or vegetable stock cubes

• 400 g tinned plum tomatoes

• 3 large ripe tomatoes

• 1 small bunch fresh basil

• sea salt

• freshly ground black pepper

To make your soup:
Peel and roughly slice the carrots. Slice the celery. Peel and roughly chop the onions. Peel and slice the garlic. Put a large pan on a medium heat and add a couple of lugs of olive oil. Add all your chopped and sliced ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon.

Cook for around 10 to 15 minutes with the lid askew, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape, and the onion is lightly golden.

Put the stock cubes into a jug or pan and pour in 1.5 litres of boiling water from the kettle. Stir until the stock cubes are dissolved, then add to the pan your tinned and fresh whole tomatoes, including the green stalks that may still be attached to some of them (these give an amazing flavour – trust me!) Give it a good stir and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on. Meanwhile, pick your basil leaves.

To serve your soup:
Remove the pan from the heat. Season with salt and pepper and add the basil leaves. Using a hand blender or liquidizer, pulse the soup until smooth. Season again before dividing between your serving bowls.

recipe source: http://www.jamieoliv...pes/tomato-soup

#10 pepsi

pepsi

يا مقلب القلوب ثبت قلبي علي دينك

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 02:30 AM

Make life easy for us will ya. Post the image rather than make us click an extra link to the image!

Overall nice soups, keep em coming.

Edited by pepsi, 02 March 2013 - 02:54 AM.

#11 *Sayyeda*

*Sayyeda*

Healer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 01:47 PM

Does no one else here enjoy soup? :huh:

I do, carrot and coriander soup, chicken corn soup, lentil soup, in fact pretty much all SOUPS :D
I never remember to take pictures of what I make, if I remember the next time i make some, I'll post it :)
  • Ruq likes this

#12 Gotham

Gotham

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 10:50 PM

i love oatmeal soup. during ramadhan, we have it just about every day at the center for iftaar. so good :wub:

Posted Image

id share the recipe but idk how to make it :(

Edited by haidernyc, 02 March 2013 - 10:50 PM.

• Ruq, pepsi and Sapphire like this

#13 Maryaam

Maryaam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,362 posts
  • Religion:Shia

Posted 02 March 2013 - 11:32 PM

Do you mean oatmeal porridge?

#14 Gotham

Gotham

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:31 AM

^is that what it is? i honestly have no idea, ive always had it as a soup. in the picture i posted, it looks very thick, but whenever ive had it, theres always more soup than oatmeal.

#15 Ruq

Ruq

✲❀✿❁❈❉❂❃

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 12:20 PM

I love oatmeal! it looks like a savoury porridge...
  • Gotham likes this

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users