Ambrosia

Shia Muslims In Cairns...... And Halal Meat

Salams!

So Im living in Cairns but have no muslims friends nor contacts here. Im a revert and after a year still havent been to a mosque. I used to live a rural area where there wasnt one and now i live here in Cairns the mosque is run by Sunni's.

I dont know what to do. i had planned on attending the mosque in my new city and now im confused as to whether it is wise to go to a sunni mosque... Would a shia person be welcome?

Also with talk of the leader being "self appointed".... im abit put off and confused.

I dont even know how to go about attending the mosque.... i just feel so isolated. Apart from a neighbour i know noone in this city.

I want to further my islamic knowledge, be involved with a community and ideally pray at the mosque sometimes.

Also! - Because iv just moved here im neeing to find a halal butcher. I was thinking of ringing the Islamic society in Cairns but then thought if their Sunni (i have no problems with Sunni's or any other people, just so you know ) then would it be right to buy meat from their butcher anyhow?

Im just so confused... ahhhhhh some advice please

Salams!

So Im living in Cairns but have no muslims friends nor contacts here. Im a revert and after a year still havent been to a mosque. I used to live a rural area where there wasnt one and now i live here in Cairns the mosque is run by Sunni's.

I dont know what to do. i had planned on attending the mosque in my new city and now im confused as to whether it is wise to go to a sunni mosque... Would a shia person be welcome?

Also with talk of the leader being "self appointed".... im abit put off and confused.

I dont even know how to go about attending the mosque.... i just feel so isolated. Apart from a neighbour i know noone in this city.

I want to further my islamic knowledge, be involved with a community and ideally pray at the mosque sometimes.

Also! - Because iv just moved here im neeing to find a halal butcher. I was thinking of ringing the Islamic society in Cairns but then thought if their Sunni (i have no problems with Sunni's or any other people, just so you know ) then would it be right to buy meat from their butcher anyhow?

Im just so confused... ahhhhhh some advice please

wa allaykum asalam,

congratulations on your reversion,

Cairns is a pretty isolated place,im surprised theres any muslims there at all.

It should be no problem attending the mosque, depending on who is running it, just maybe do a bit of a reconisance mission first, dont be open about being a shia right from the start (or at all) find out if they are wahabi (anti-shia) or not. Who knows overtime you might find out there might even be shias attending it.

Just a bit of advice, if you attend any islamic lectures over there, it would be wise not to take everything they say as gospel, if you know what i mean, Dont be afraid to come on this site and open new topics and ask questions, because there are some very knowledgable people on this site.

Ofcoarse its ok to buy halal meat from sunnis, sunnis are muslim after all, some extreme versions of sunni like wahabis, consider shia's non-muslim so they wont buy our meat, but thats their stupidity not ours.

Take care and good luck.

salam

mashallah brother congratulation on you reversion to Islam!

i agree with the brother above attend the mosk sus it out first if they are wahabi they might not really like you but if there not wahabi you will be fine inshallah. if its the only mosk there then its all you have so dont let them kick you out or make you feel uncomfortable because your a shia you have every right to be there and pray comfortably among everyone else... and also like the brother said this website is actually very helpful, you can learn alot of things here and take part in very eye opening discussions... so if you can listen to the lectures given there then log onto shiachat hahahaha

anyway inshallah everything goes well with you, May Allah swt keep you guided and strengthen your iman !

Salaamun Alaykum Brother

Hope you are well. I searched on google for Shias in Cairns Australia and this is the post I found. I was so relieved that there is a shia in Cairns. My son will be travelling there soon to start his university. Would it be okay for you to message me your contact information? it would be great for him to have some connection with a fellow shia.

Duas

salam, Regarding Halal meat I have some information for you. We are able to access many Halal products in Cairns. There are a range of outlets and restaurants that you will be able to access. Some of the business that sell halal meat also sell pork, so it will be up to you to decide whether it is fit for consumption. I will note if they do.

Meat outlets
Byrnes Meat : Steak, Lamb, Chicken, Sausages, Salami and more. (They also sell pork)
Premier Chicken: All chicken cuts are Halal and sell in bulk at good prices
Lenards Chicken Smithfield: Chicken (they also sell pork). Ask at city store if Halal
Red Rooster: Possibly sell whole chicken that are Halal
KFC: All Halal chicken EXCEPT processed items such as nuggets and popcorn chicken
Nandos: All Halal
Al Turka: All Halal except dishes that contain crustacea and alcohol sauces
Biblos Cafe: Halal cafe style food including burgers - ask that it is halal before ordering 
Spicy Bite Indian Restaurants: Halal CHICKEN ONLY
Steggels Brand in ALL supermarkets: Large range of chicken available in almost all supermarkets

Many restaurants in Cairns are supplied with Halal chicken from Mareeba. Hope this helps

Hello,

Does anyone know where I can buy turbah, in Cairns? It is not for me, but for a community group to give to recent Shia muslim arrivals who can not get them anywhere else. Hence, we will want to purchase quite a large number.

Either a local or online source would be most appreciated.

Have a great week.

I should also have asked about prayer mats that are appropriate for Shia muslims - again, any sources / advice would be appreciated. Do they need to be of only natural fibres? (eg would cotton be acceptable? I assume mixed material such as cotton-polyester would not be appropriate?)

Apologies for my ignorance and very basic questions. I appreciate your understanding and patience. :)

Salam

You can't buy the standard turbah tablets (usually sand from Kerbala moulded into and tablet) in Cairns.

I buy mine from Sydney.. You could look online or call a shia masjid/hussainiya in one of the big cities.

Alternatively why don't you use flat stones or anything natural (even a leaf!). I find great stones on the beach here :)

A turbah just needs to be of natural fibres and not something that you eat or wear - read more from sistani.

A tissue is another thing we use commonly. The land of Kerbala is holy and very nice to rest your head upon in sujood but really that is just a luxury.

As for prayer mats.. Use any type and put your turbah on top.

So glad to hear of another Shia in cairns! There is a small group of us now.. I may already know you haha!

Salams,

I am from Sydney Travelling to Cairns in late Jan 2014. If any fellow Muslim brothers or sisters require anything from Sydney such as islamic books, prayer mats, sajdeh etc please do not hesitate to ask.

Ws =)

On 12/28/2013 at 6:55 AM, sshiaa said:

Salams,

I am from Sydney Travelling to Cairns in late Jan 2014. If any fellow Muslim brothers or sisters require anything from Sydney such as islamic books, prayer mats, sajdeh etc please do not hesitate to ask.

Ws =)

Assalamolikum 

Please guide me if there is a Shia scholar in Cairns 

I have a friend there who needs help to revert 

Please give me a contact or guide me how i can help my friend revert to shiaism