Liggel

Going To Iraq. Adivse Please

Salam

I am going to Iraq after two months for a period of ten days. I will be going with a group inshAllah. I'm looking for some general advice, recommendations from people who have been there / live there.

Thank you in advance.

(salam)

Are you talking about religious wise or security wise? Kamil e Ziyarat is a good way to learn about the ways to do ziyarats and also you should learn about the etiquettes in behaviour and talking when visiting the Masumeen (as) . It also details some of the rewards that one gets by doing Ziyarat of the Masumeen (as) .

By the way I am going InshAllah for the first time in my life in a couple of weeks as well, lets meet up if you're there :D

If anybody else could tell us something more we should know I would greatly appreciate it (For example I heard in a lecture than when you see the golden dome of Imam Reza's (as) shrine for the first time you should make 2-3 wishes before you blink your eyes just like with the Kaaba, any other points like this?)

Salam

Thank you for your reply.Yes I am asking for religious advice. I have been to Syria but this will be my first visit to Iraq inshaAllah. I will be there in February.

(salam)

Alhamdulilah you have the opportunity to go. :)

Just a few points from a Ziarat booklet I have, regarding the ziarat of Imam Hussain (as) :

There is a hadith that says it is recommended to keep 3 fasts before leaving for the Ziarat of Imam Hussain (as). On the third day do ghusl. When leaving your house, leave with humility and respect, and continue to praise Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì.

Traditions say, that for every drop of perspiration of the visitor to the grave of Imam Hussain (as), Allah creates 70,000 angels who beg forgiveness and mercy on the Imams and the visitors behalf, until the day of Qiyamat. Therefore, you should strive in the days leading up to the ziarat inshaAllah, which will increase your own rewards.

Imam Jafar Sadiq says, you should go to the ziarat of Imam Hussain (as) in a sorrowful way, in a hungry and thirsty condition, travel in a state as though you are a lowly slave. You should eat very plain food whilst in Karbala, Imam Jafar Sadiq (as) condemned people who go to the ziarat and ate sweet and luxurious food. If you see other visitors of Imam Hussain (as) who are in difficulty and need, aid them. It is necessary for treat your fellow companions on the travel, with kindness and respect. Avoid unnecessary talk and actions on this journey, to not indulge in worldliness - if you perform this ziarat with the correct etiquette, you will receive the full reward of an Umrah and Hajj.

When arriving, your dress should be clean and pure, you should be purified by Ghusl. Send salawat repeatedly on our Holy Prophet [P] and His progeny, and recite heartfelt salutations. Before entering the shrine of Imam Hussain (as), send your salutations, express your grief, and ask permission to enter. Walk slowly, in a state of humility.

Imam Sadiq (as) says, one who does the ziarat of Imam Hussain (as) and does Wudhu or Ghusl in the furat, for each step he takes, He gets the reward of an Umrah and Hajj.

Also, this booklet is VERY helpful. It has information on each of the Iraq ziarats:

http://www.asserattours.com/ebooks/Iraaq_eng%20(Final)%20Big.pdf

Please remember us all in your prayers

(wasalam)

Guest Mushu

Don't forget that you shouldn't enter before reading the Dua at the door! The dua is asking the Imam for permission to enter, and the sign that you are granted entry is that your eyes should moisten, like, a tear should form.

Salam

I am going to Iraq after two months for a period of ten days. I will be going with a group inshAllah. I'm looking for some general advice, recommendations from people who have been there / live there.

Thank you in advance.

walikumsalaaam!! SubhanAllah.. how lucky you are. Alhumdulillah I went last year for 8 days i think.. It was amazing. Im going to take you through my journey to give you an idea. Think profusely about imam Hussain a.s. when you are in the aeroplane. You need to mentally prepare yourself... it is just overwhelming.. many people shed alot of tears even at that time because it is such a big thing. Duas, salwaats etc are all great in accomanying your journey inshAAllah. its not only duas, you need to know what to expect whilst in Iraq as this helps you throughout being there and also reaching Imam Hussain a.s. you are searched unbelieveably alot.. there are many stops in the way which stop coaches to check passports etc so please be careful. Usually after you land in najaf, its most likely you will go karbala straight after. its about 2-3 hours from there. Try to carry the least amount of things with you because honestly.. you get checked like 3-4 times in one place so it will be easier for you. the hotel bookings are usually much closer to the haram. its really peaceful in the sense that there is no fear at night. etc. its like heaven inside the harams. after reading your duas .. you should go through a lecture. Ziyarat ashura ... dua tawassul etc are also very excellent accompaniments whilst you are in the haram. try to be with someone most of the time because sometimes it gets slightly confusing as to where the actual "shrine" is etc. the shrine tends to be closed sometimes however. the main recommendation is for one to visit Imam Hussain a.s shrine first before hazrat Abbas a.s. however when I went imam hussain a.s. shrine was closed so I went to hazrat Abbas a.s. first. they have a distance of approx 5-6 mins.. the place in between is called bayn ul haramain. you will be shocked at the amount of people who sleep on the floor ...people walk on foot to karbala in respect.

They will take you around a couple of places nearby such as where Imam Hussain a.s. asked for water, where Hazrat Ali akbar a.s. fell.. also where the tents were. Where the ground is levelled up from where Bibi Zainab a.s. stood etc.. you will see all these places.. but it can be slightly confusing again make sure your friends etc are with you. shopping wise.. things can be expensive but really nice.. just be abit careful from who you buy sometimes they like to con tourists :/. one recommendation.. please try to avoid people who are carrying things and selling. one time a friend of mine looked at some chadars and said no.. the guy got angry and cursed all of us.. Astaghfirullah... :/. but yeah please be careful there. Try to be on time for jamaat prayers..it gets intensifyingly busy. I waned to give you general travel advice aswell as that?! etc.. hope you don't mind..

Ill let you know If i remember anything else and please inform me if you have questions.... please give my salutations to all shrines :).

wasalam :)

I went last year - the only advice I can give is to cherish every SECOND, especially when you're next to the shrine. This is because when you return home, you will miss it like crazy.

As mentioned above - when you enter Najaf, it is nothing but pride and joy.

When you enter Karbala, it is nothing but grief and tears.

When you go Kadhmain, you will feel awe - it is the most beautiful shrine/mosque out of them all.

When you go Samarra, you will feel the air of tragedy due to the way it was destroyed.

Heaven on earth is the middle of Baynul Haramain - stand there, look to your left + right and then you'll see why.

Salam.

Thank you very much for the advice. I appreciate it a lot.

I have a question. Can you carry a camera with you when you enter the shrines? I remember that in Syria they occasionally objected if anyone took photos but there was no security checkings at all. I took my camera at all places in Syria and took hundreds of photos. I have a feeling this wont be the case in Iraq. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks

On 12/14/2011 at 6:24 AM, Liggel said:

Salam.

Thank you very much for the advice. I appreciate it a lot.

I have a question. Can you carry a camera with you when you enter the shrines? I remember that in Syria they occasionally objected if anyone took photos but there was no security checkings at all. I took my camera at all places in Syria and took hundreds of photos. I have a feeling this wont be the case in Iraq. Can someone shed some light on this? Thanks

In Syria, yes.

In the shrines of Iraq, not at all. They are very strict. No cameras or phones. You get searched throughly before you are let in.

On 12/13/2011 at 7:03 PM, HaqAllah92 said:

walikumsalaaam!! SubhanAllah.. how lucky you are. Alhumdulillah I went last year for 8 days i think.. It was amazing. Im going to take you through my journey to give you an idea. Think profusely about imam Hussain a.s. when you are in the aeroplane. You need to mentally prepare yourself... it is just overwhelming.. many people shed alot of tears even at that time because it is such a big thing. Duas, salwaats etc are all great in accomanying your journey inshAAllah. its not only duas, you need to know what to expect whilst in Iraq as this helps you throughout being there and also reaching Imam Hussain a.s. you are searched unbelieveably alot.. there are many stops in the way which stop coaches to check passports etc so please be careful. Usually after you land in najaf, its most likely you will go karbala straight after. its about 2-3 hours from there. Try to carry the least amount of things with you because honestly.. you get checked like 3-4 times in one place so it will be easier for you. the hotel bookings are usually much closer to the haram. its really peaceful in the sense that there is no fear at night. etc. its like heaven inside the harams. after reading your duas .. you should go through a lecture. Ziyarat ashura ... dua tawassul etc are also very excellent accompaniments whilst you are in the haram. try to be with someone most of the time because sometimes it gets slightly confusing as to where the actual "shrine" is etc. the shrine tends to be closed sometimes however. the main recommendation is for one to visit Imam Hussain a.s shrine first before hazrat Abbas a.s. however when I went imam hussain a.s. shrine was closed so I went to hazrat Abbas a.s. first. they have a distance of approx 5-6 mins.. the place in between is called bayn ul haramain. you will be shocked at the amount of people who sleep on the floor ...people walk on foot to karbala in respect.

They will take you around a couple of places nearby such as where Imam Hussain a.s. asked for water, where Hazrat Ali akbar a.s. fell.. also where the tents were. Where the ground is levelled up from where Bibi Zainab a.s. stood etc.. you will see all these places.. but it can be slightly confusing again make sure your friends etc are with you. shopping wise.. things can be expensive but really nice.. just be abit careful from who you buy sometimes they like to con tourists :/. one recommendation.. please try to avoid people who are carrying things and selling. one time a friend of mine looked at some chadars and said no.. the guy got angry and cursed all of us.. Astaghfirullah... :/. but yeah please be careful there. Try to be on time for jamaat prayers..it gets intensifyingly busy. I waned to give you general travel advice aswell as that?! etc.. hope you don't mind..

Ill let you know If i remember anything else and please inform me if you have questions.... please give my salutations to all shrines :).

wasalam :)

Wow, very similar experience to mine! alhumdulillah, I went in 2010, for 9 days after Syria. It was amazing, it was exactly as you described. We also met a guy who was selling chadors, a girl with me said no, he cursed all of us. Must be the same guy lol. May Allah bless everyone who replied on here.

On 12/8/2011 at 9:56 AM, Mystery-* said:

salam.gif

Alhamdulilah you have the opportunity to go. smile.png

Just a few points from a Ziarat booklet I have, regarding the ziarat of Imam Hussain as.gif :

There is a hadith that says it is recommended to keep 3 fasts before leaving for the Ziarat of Imam Hussain as.gif. On the third day do ghusl. When leaving your house, leave with humility and respect, and continue to praise Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì.

Traditions say, that for every drop of perspiration of the visitor to the grave of Imam Hussain as.gif, Allah creates 70,000 angels who beg forgiveness and mercy on the Imams and the visitors behalf, until the day of Qiyamat. Therefore, you should strive in the days leading up to the ziarat inshaAllah, which will increase your own rewards.

Imam Jafar Sadiq says, you should go to the ziarat of Imam Hussain as.gif in a sorrowful way, in a hungry and thirsty condition, travel in a state as though you are a lowly slave. You should eat very plain food whilst in Karbala, Imam Jafar Sadiq as.gif condemned people who go to the ziarat and ate sweet and luxurious food. If you see other visitors of Imam Hussain as.gif who are in difficulty and need, aid them. It is necessary for treat your fellow companions on the travel, with kindness and respect. Avoid unnecessary talk and actions on this journey, to not indulge in worldliness - if you perform this ziarat with the correct etiquette, you will receive the full reward of an Umrah and Hajj.

When arriving, your dress should be clean and pure, you should be purified by Ghusl. Send salawat repeatedly on our Holy Prophet [P] and His progeny, and recite heartfelt salutations. Before entering the shrine of Imam Hussain as.gif, send your salutations, express your grief, and ask permission to enter. Walk slowly, in a state of humility.

Imam Sadiq as.gif says, one who does the ziarat of Imam Hussain as.gif and does Wudhu or Ghusl in the furat, for each step he takes, He gets the reward of an Umrah and Hajj.

Also, this booklet is VERY helpful. It has information on each of the Iraq ziarats:

http://www.asserattours.com/ebooks/Iraaq_eng%20(Final)%20Big.pdf

Please remember us all in your prayers

wasalam.gif

Thank you so much! Alhumdulillah I have been blessed to go a second time after four years. With an increase of age and understanding! May Allah reward you abundantly. Will pray for everyone on this forum inshaAllah.

iltemase duas

On 8/3/2016 at 7:04 PM, Noorulain said:

Book is no.more available 

That website that has the booklet about ziyarat in Iraq will frequently change the location of the link. Here is an updated link:

http://asserattours.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/66.pdf

If the link stops working in the future, go to asserattours.com and click on 'publications' in the tab at the top of their homepage, to find the one you want to read again.