11 replies to this topic

#1 abbas110

abbas110

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:04 AM

Salaam,

Followers of the Sunni fiqh turn their head to the right and then left at the end of their Salat. I have a few Shia people do the same so I was wondering what our own Fiqh has to say about this.

#2 Waiting for HIM

Waiting for HIM

• Banned
  • 3,516 posts
  • Religion:Islam

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:13 AM

I have seen mostly Iranian Shias do this. No problem, because in addition to doing the three takbeer, turning the head and saying Salam is also one of the sunnah of prophet.

Salat finshes as soon as you say Assalamoalaikum wa rahmatul Allah wa baraka tu' keeping your head straight and your eyes at the place of sajda. This is important. If you ever turn your head anywhere after saying the first takbeer of salat, and then during the salat, or during saying the last Salam, your salat becomes invalid and you have to repeat your salat.

Then after this, you can do three takbir which is not part of salat, and can also do right Salam, left Salam, which is again not part of salat.

Edited by Waiting for HIM, 23 October 2011 - 12:16 AM.

#3 Nader Zaveri

Nader Zaveri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts
  • Interests:http://www.revivingalislam.com/

Posted 23 October 2011 - 12:14 AM

(salam)
(bismillah)

Yes, turning the head is from the Sunnah of the Prophet (pbuh). The Shee`ah scholars say do not turn the head too much, though.

I gave relevant hadeeth to this topic in this blog post. Click here: http://www.revivinga...laah-bidah.html

(salam)
  • Mumin likes this

#4 phoenix

phoenix

THE snob

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,642 posts
  • Interests:liqa'-Allah

Posted 23 October 2011 - 06:08 AM

Salaam

Is there any Hadith that tells us to TURN the head? As far as I remember, it is gesturing either by the nose for a person praying furada (which would mean slight movement of the face) or the eye, for one in jama`ah.

#5 John Al-Ameli

John Al-Ameli

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,393 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 08:45 AM

From before most people used to turn their heads left and right after the Salat. Before I meant grandfathers and stuff..

I mean after Assalam Alaykom wa Rahmat Allah wa Barakatoh whatever you do isnt considered part of the Salat, so whatever you do in order of praising Allah I think works, but its better to do stuff that the Prophet and Ahlulbayt did

#6 Ali_Hussain

Ali_Hussain

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,818 posts

Posted 23 October 2011 - 09:02 AM

Taslim

It is wajib as per the most correct opinion. Without performing it, the musalli cannot finish the salat. It consists of two formulas: the first is : 'al-Salam `alayna wa `ala `ibadillah al-salihin", and the second is: "al-Salam `alaykum wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh"

Reciting each of them is sufficient to finish the salat with. If a person recites one of the them the other will be mustahabb.

The masnun acts of taslim are the following:

-one offering the salat singly has to recite the taslim towards the qiblah, with gesturing by blinking the rear of his eyes to the right side. But the imam may gesture his face, and so also does the ma`mum. If some other person be there on his left, he will be required to gesture with his face too.

al-Muahaqqiq al-Hilli, Shara`i al-Islam, v. 1, p.92

So going by the above opinion, even after saying "as-Salamu `alayna wa `ala `ibadillahi as-salihin", if you wanted to, you could turn your head both ways, as your salah is finish, if the next sentence is only mustahhab.

#7 Nader Zaveri

Nader Zaveri

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts
  • Interests:http://www.revivingalislam.com/

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:00 PM

(salam)
(bismillah)

Is there any Hadith that tells us to TURN the head? As far as I remember, it is gesturing either by the nose for a person praying furada (which would mean slight movement of the face) or the eye, for one in jama`ah.

Are there any hadeeth besides the one by al-Mufaddal bin `Umar? That say it is a slight gesture of the nose?

(salam)

#8 Gypsy

Gypsy

Hal Min Nasirin Yansurna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,509 posts
  • Interests:Exposing hypocrisy and double standards.

Posted 23 October 2011 - 05:21 PM

I don't have any reference just a question,

Don't we have a fiqh law that states turning of the head to your right and left is only applicable when you have people praying beside you, on your right and your left (say in jamaah). And if you are praying alone, it is not required to turn on your left or right. Can someone clarify what is our (Shia) position?

#9 hijabidownthestreet

hijabidownthestreet

The outcast

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 163 posts
  • Religion:Islam - SHIA
  • Interests:Food.

Posted 23 October 2011 - 10:13 PM

How come sunnis do not do qunoot in namaz?

#10 TarekH

TarekH

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 68 posts
  • Religion:Muslim
  • Interests:Drag Racing, Fishing and 4wdrivng

Posted 11 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

Salaam,

Certain scholars have different opinions on this issue. It is said that the reason why it was performed was that the angels are praying on each side of you so you are sending salaams to them. Though it is safest to consult your Marjaa

#11 jasir

jasir

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 281 posts

Posted 12 December 2011 - 08:04 PM

I think the twelver madhab is wrong on this issue.

It is to Salam the Angles to both sided of you. It is part of the Salah, it is called Taslim.
The three Allahu Akbar come after it.

The prayer does not become invalid if you turn your head right and left during taslim.

And Allah knows best!!!

#12 siraatoaliyinhaqqun

siraatoaliyinhaqqun

Abd Ali

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,617 posts
  • Religion:12 Aimma masomeen a.s
  • Interests:Loving Mohammad wa Aale Mohammad

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:43 AM

I think the twelver madhab is wrong on this issue.

It is to Salam the Angles to both sided of you. It is part of the Salah, it is called Taslim.
The three Allahu Akbar come after it.

The prayer does not become invalid if you turn your head right and left during taslim.

And Allah knows best!!!

The twelver madhab can never go wrong because there are 12 Imams a.s. appointed by Allah azwj in it.

[ 8337 ] 15 ـ وفي ( العلل ) ( بالإسناد السابق ) عن المفضّل بن عمر ـ في حديث ـ قال : سألت أبا عبد الله ( عليه السلام ) : لأيّ علّة يسلّم على اليمين ولا يسلّم على اليسار ؟ قال : لأنّ الملك الموكّل الذي يكتب الحسنات علي اليمين ، والذي يكتب السيئات على اليسار ، والصلاة حسنات ليس فيها سيّئات ، فلهذا يسلّم على اليمين دون اليسار ، قلت : فلم لا يقال : السلام عليك ، والملك على اليمين واحد ، ولكن يقال : السلام عليكم ؟ قال : ليكون قد سلم عليه وعلى من على اليسار ، وفضل صاحب اليمين عليه بالايماء إليه ، قلت : فلم لا يكون الإيماء في التسليم بالوجه كلّه ، ولكن كان بالأنف لمن يصلّي وحده ، وبالعين لمن يصلّي بقوم ؟ قال : لأنّ مقعد الملكين من ابن آدم الشدقين ، فصاحب اليمين على الشدق الأيمن ، وتسليم المصلّي عليه ليثبت له صلاته في صحيفته ، قلت : فلم يسلّم المأموم ثلاثاً ؟ قال : تكون واحدة ردّاً على الإمام ، وتكون عليه وعلى ملكيه ، وتكون الثانية على من على يمينه والملكين الموكّلين به ، وتكون الثالثة على من على يساره وملكيه الموكّلين به ، ومن لم يكن على يساره أحد لم يسلّم على يسماره إلاّ أن تكون يمينه إلى الحائط ويساره إلى من صلّى معه خلف الإمام فيسلّم على يساره ، قلت : فتسليم الإمام ، على من يقع ؟ قال : على ملكيه والمأمومين ، يقول لملكيه : اكتبا سلامة صلاتي ممّا يفسدها ، ويقول لمن خلفه : سلمتم وأمنتم من عذاب الله عزّ وجلّ.

15 – And in al-`Ilal by the preceding isnad (in the first of the chapters on taslim) from al-Mufaddal b. `Umar in a hadith wherein he said: I asked Abu `Abdillah عليه السلام: For which reason does one do taslim to the right and not do taslim to the left? He said: It is because the authorized angel who writes the good deeds is on the right, and the one that writes the bad deeds is on the left. And salat is good deeds, there are no bad deeds in it. And so because of this, one does taslim on the right apart from the left. I said: So why is “as-salaamu `alayka” (singular) not said while the angel on the right is (only) one, rather “as-salaamu `alaykum” (plural) is said? He said: It is so that he does taslim upon him and upon the one who is on the left, and he favors the companion of the right over him (by) gesturing to him. I said: So why is the gesturing not with all of the face, rather it is with the nose for someone who is praying alone by himself, and by the eye for someone who is praying with a group? He said: It is because the seat of the angels from the son of Adam is the lower jaws. So the companion of the right is on the right lower jaw, and the taslim of the praying person upon him is so that he affirm for him his salat in his sahifa. I said: So why does the follower (in a jama`a) do taslim thrice? He said: One is response to the imam, and it would be upon him and upon his two angels. And the second is upon whoever is on his right and the two authorized angels that are with him. And the third is upon whoever is on his left and the two authorized angels that are with him. And someone who does not have anyone on his left does not do taslim upon his left unless his right is to the wall and his left is towards one who is praying with him behind the imam, so he does taslim upon his left. I said: So the taslim of the imam, upon whom does it befall? He said: Upon his two angels and the followers. He says to his two angels: Write the soundness of my salat (free) from what ruins it. And he says to whoever is behind him: You are safe and secure from the punishment of Allah عزّ وجلّ.
www.tashayyu.org

Edited by siraatoaliyinhaqqun, 13 December 2011 - 07:45 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users