Sign in to follow this  
Dina

The Obsession With White Skin

Rate this topic

Beauty is, more often than not, associated with physical appearance. Along with height, shape, face and form, colour of skin is regarded as an exceedingly important feature of beauty.

This holds true for most people, but especially so for Muslims. Whether Arab or Asian, Muslim men seek fair-complexioned wives - perhaps in the hopes the offspring will inherit this physical characteristic.

It is possible that this age-old obsession with white skin is a legacy of colonial rule: and it is also probable that preference for white skin reflects a deep-seated inferiority complex and, thus, a crisis of identity.

Rejecting or accepting a person based upon no more than appearance - in particular skin tone - is a clear sign of Jaahiliyah, ignorance. One hopes Muslim men will re-think their criteria when considering prospective brides.

Generally speaking, Muslims are as guilty of racism as are other peoples and nations. An unfortunate truth, especially in light of the fact that the Message of Islam is known to be universally applicable, intended for all peoples of all times - and not confined to, or reserved for, an elite group.

Physical differences amongst humankind represent both a test and a sign from Allah SWT - but ultimately, these differences too are deceptive and illusory. Allahu 'Alam.

Surah 30, Ar-Rum, Verse 22

And of HIS Signs are the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the variation in your languages and complexions. Verily, in this are Signs for people of knowledge.

well done sister,

i applaude you for raising your voice against Man's world.

your statement is 100% correct, forget about the ordinary people, I have seen religious scholars searching for white skins!!!

Muslim men need to wake up and start a self audit.

Sister, there are more problems with Muslim men, Its not only white skin, they also look for immature and very young girls and she must be virgin, doesn't matter, he is married 03 times

Salaams,

correct me if iam wrong

I think this is a generalisation.

I am an Arab and I've observed that this is mostley true of arabs who live in the middle-east - that fairer skin is more appealing. However, the opposite seems to be more true of men who live in the west, at least in my experience. In fact this is true of every culture not just 'muslims', as you suggest. White people find non-whites exotic, darker people find lighter people different and appealing, etc.

As an arab man, ehen I was looking to get married my preference was definately not for a women with 'white' or pale skin. I found pale women much less attractive than those with darker complexion. As an arab man those women of classic arab, mediterranean or south american complexion were always my preference and not paler and pastier women.

Salam alikum,

I agree that a marriage should NOT be based on looks, but it wasnt long ago when sisters had a similar post if height of the guy is important, and i didnt read anyone criticize much in that. The guy has to be attracted to his wife as he has to spend his whole life with her, and if he finds light skin color attractive then he should go for it, similarly, how woman find tall guys attractive then there is nothing wrong with it.

Very true. But then someone can argue by saying, "yes, I treat everyone equally with respect but I have an attraction towards certain individuals/personalities/race etc and so on this basis I prefer someone with fair complexion, it's just a personal preference". At the end of the day, if you look at it in another perspective, choosing fair skinned over darker skinned can be seen as a preference and there's nothing wrong in that as long as it doesn't compromise your view of everyone being "equal".

There's actually a very good reason for having white skin in certain locations (vitamin d, sunlight, ect).

It's also been proven by scientific studies, that around the entire world, men generally find lighter skinned women more attractive. So, i think it is a biological thing, unless the whole world is racist.

Of course, if the person is ACTUALLY being racist, well they are indeed racist obviously.

Fair skin was desirable even in the west untill about 50-60 years ago when a tan was popularised. (I don't like tans personally but hey its not for everyone).

I actually wrote about this for university, I'd be happy to send you a copy if you give me an email address (only windows live or hotmail though).

I don't see how there's a contradiction in your interpretation and a natural preference people develop to both their nature and environment they live in.

There is nothing wrong with preference or taste. Of course people are different, but opinions can vary on what is superior, to deny this is one of egalitarian flaws that would argue that ALL skin colours are equally preferable to all people... which contradicts nature and intuition. Of course, arguing against this new religion (part of liberalism) will get you the PC label "racist" -- a funny construction.

I'm from the middle east, I have pale skin. I find pale skin more attractive than dark skin, probably due to the environment I grew up in.

It's also been proven by scientific studies, that around the entire world, men generally find lighter skinned women more attractive. So, i think it is a biological thing, unless the whole world is racist.

I think the whole world is racist if they prefer someone based solely on skin color.

(salam)

(bismillah)

We should all rely on Allah.Be you fair complexioned or dark complexioned,if somebody doesn't like you,you must not force them into liking you.Force is of no avail.Patience is better.Patience is rewarded.Patience is the jewellry of the learned.

May be Allah denied you something to give you something much better.That which is better for you.If you are good in somebody's eyes ,they will never reject you because of your complexion.Being impatient can reveal more of your faults and break your heart resulting in humiliation and failure.

Who on earth is a Muslim,but hates Hazrat Musa(a.s) or Hazrat Lut(a.s).There is no such Muslim.

So in short people actually reject because of something else,but just respecting the other person ,not to expose his /her faults,people usually give some excuse or the other.But their decision,their right to marry a person of their like should be respected.

One more reason why beauty is given much consideration among Muslims is that ,we have restrain from looking at gair(namehram).So people wan't satisfaction in halal manner.This is the reason i.e to protect from sin,one wan'ts a beautiful partner.Lest the shaitan at any point of time drive him towards sin.

Respect other Muslims and their choice so that people respect you and your choice.

I dont think you can blame it entirely on colonial rule or western cultural influence. As far as im aware lighter skin was preferable in India before colonial rule for the same reason it was centuries ago in England: darker skin was associated with manual labour, people who had to work outside and lighter skin with people who either didnt have to work, or had more cushy in door jobs.

It is incredibly sad though, that anyone would prioritise skin colour, light or dark, as a requisite for a partner in life. When you see these articles about women bleaching their skin and black women being lightened in pics it makes your heart sink.

salaam aleikum

i think it's just about accepting what Allah has given us. Often as humans we WANT what we don't have and create a love for it even if we will NEVER have it. People with pale skins try to get tans and love people with dark skins but people with dark skin will use pale makeup or avoid the sun to be lighter and love people with light skins. We must inshAllah accept who we are, what Allah has given us and not desire what we don't have, we must love and desire what Allah gave us alhamdulillah. And when we get married, although we desire someone 'exotic' or 'different' (and that is halal) you'll find that the best marriages are when people from similar backgrounds; it works better because they have the same understandings of the world and life and can help each other towards Allah with less arguing inshAllah. wa Allahu Alim.

The imams (a.s) married into different cultures so it is something good because it lessens racism alhamdulillah but if we do it just for physical reasons then it is completely wrong because love and deen is about the mind, soul and heart, nothing to do with what your body looks like. Allahu alim

salaam

Even Asians (as in Chinese, Korean, Japanese) prefer lighter skin. It was traditionally thought of as an indicator of wealth and position (as already mentioned) as only the poor outside uneducated labourers were exposed to the sun which darkened their skin. Even the derogatory term "redneck" for those with naturally white skin, refers to outside labourers and with extension in meaning infers poorly educated and low status. Colonialism enforced the preference of white skin, again was an indicator of wealth and position. People have an obsession with the "good life" and the lighter skin colour is seen an indicator of that.

There is a lot of truth to this. Men in general have a strong desire for sexual variety with the most beautiful women possible. This is a natural tendency. It is also why hijab is so important. Hijab, at least in part, allows a woman to conceal her physical traits so that the man doesn't notice her sexuality before anything else (and this is what men do--it is a natural function of sexual selection). Physical appearance is how men generally discriminate between mates/sexual partners. Obviously they can condition themselves otherwise (i.e., if they are Muslim and are looking to get married, they may conclude that physical appearance is less important than a wife he can build his life and family with). But to say that physical appearance will have no bearing is ridiculous.

This gets us to the notion of skin colour. I don't think it's a surprise that the vast majority of men would prefer a Scandinavian girl over, say, a Khoja or South Indian. Or that other men would prefer a lightly tanned Mediterranean over an Ethiopian. The reasons for this are cultural, but populations will always have a tendency one way or another. I know there are cosmetics sold on the Sub Continent that give women a lighter skin tone. Then again, people in the West risk cancer by going to tanning parlours in order to make their skin darker. Pale white skin isn't desirable in the West at all. This is why you see such interest in tanning.

But you can also flip the scenario. Don't women like men who are tall, dark and handsome? From what I've read, dark usually means tanned or a darker complexion. These are all forms of sexual preference. As Muslims, it is up to us to condition ourselves away from idealized sexual tastes and see the bigger picture. At the end of the day, the vast majority of men will not be able to satisfy their desire for sexual variety from as many beautiful women as they can, just as the vast majority of women will not be able to satisfy their desire to attract the highest quality male possible. These are the frustrations in which we live.

It's better that you see the bigger picture and choose a mate that satisfies your religious criteria. While I may prefer the physical appearance of the Mediterranean or Scandinavian over, say, the South Asian, I would take the latter if it means there is a greater likelihood of establishing a successful marriage. But I would be lying if I said I didn't have preferences.

I don't see how there's a contradiction in your interpretation and a natural preference people develop to both their nature and environment they live in.

There is nothing wrong with preference or taste. Of course people are different, but opinions can vary on what is superior, to deny this is one of egalitarian flaws that would argue that ALL skin colours are equally preferable to all people... which contradicts nature and intuition. Of course, arguing against this new religion (part of liberalism) will get you the PC label "racist" -- a funny construction.

I'm from the middle east, I have pale skin. I find pale skin more attractive than dark skin, probably due to the environment I grew up in.

Ditto , i dont see the preferences as racism , i am dark skinned and do hear alot about white skin being better looking never crossed my mind to be racism

Racism is when you think you are inherently -Better- and by better it dosnt mean only more appealing

May I thank everyone for their contributions. The responses are informative, interesting and enlightening.

A quick note: no offence was ever intended: I apologize if any has been caused.

The purpose of this piece is to draw attention to a problem which exists amongst Muslims - it is not about me personally.

It is an undeniable fact that Muslim girls and women - whether Iraqi, Pakistani, West Indian or African - are not considered for marriage on account of their skin tone. Here, we need to make the distinction between personal preference and racism. Of course human beings have different ideas about what constitutes beauty - and make life-choices based upon those differences. However, when personal preference causes a person - ie., a Muslim - to reject the possibility of marriage to another based upon no more than complexion, then the line between personal likes/dislikes and racism has been crossed.

The reason I have emphasized Muslim attitudes, rather than those of other communities - though they are alluded to - is because Muslims have been assigned the task of "bearing witness to the Truth before humankind" - Q2:143, 22:78 - and as such, are required to set the standard of moral, ethical behaviour which transcends mere materialistic attachments and attractions. Since marriage is the bedrock of society, in order to create a properly-functioning, healthy, and peaceful society, marriage must be founded upon the lasting values of virtue and piety.

That one must needs be attracted in the physical sense to the prospective bride/husband is a given. However, marriage thereafter is composed - not of instant gratification - but of mercy, compassion and love. Therein lies the truth about beauty. Q30:21

In any case, as the Verse quoted in the piece reveals: the difference in languages and colour amongst humankind represents a clear Sign from Allah SWT. The secret of beauty lies in its diversity, not uniformity. Further, the transitory nature of physical beauty means that it, alone, is not - and can never be - the standard by which all beauty is measured. Wa Llahu Alam.

As Salaamu 'Alaykum

There's actually a very good reason for having white skin in certain locations (vitamin d, sunlight, ect).

Of course, if the person is ACTUALLY being racist, well they are indeed racist obviously.

Fair skin was desirable even in the west untill about 50-60 years ago when a tan was popularised. (I don't like tans personally but hey its not for everyone).

I actually wrote about this for university, I'd be happy to send you a copy if you give me an email address (only windows live or hotmail though).

Would be most interested to read your article about this subject. You will find my email id on the contacts page of:

www.jazaadeen.com

Thankyou.

A few thoughts

1) I think Shi'as in general are more racist than Sunnis (which I hate to admit since I am shia)

2) I agree with two posts above me. Hot is hot no matter the coloring. Lots of Shi'as, or religious muslims in general, are very old school and still think beautiful means a doughey, thick pale girl with a very round face and big back eyes and super arched eyebrows is beauty. This is what women in heaven are suppose to look like. It's the "houri" look. You also see this style in old iranian paintings. These days beauty is more about having a fit, healthy, tanned look. It's more about shape and proportion and structure than coloring.

3) I find the people most fixated on skin color to be South Asians. I know some South Asian brothers that alhamulillah are very handsome, well built, tall, etc but consider themselves as lower somehow just because they are dark and they say things like "an average white person is better looking than indians" even though some of these brothers/sisters are much better looking than typical white or mideastern. They never gave themselves enough credit and willingly made themselves second class to other brothers. They should not give into the arrogance of arabs/persians.

4) Arabs and Persians are very inscure too and often put white europeans on a pedestal above themselves

I think it's sad when people let their cultures get in the way of having self-confidence and self-worth. There is nothign islamic about this racism.

I disagree. You can not speak for all Arabs. Arabs look completely different to eachother. A Lebanese and Syrian look nothing like a Khaleeji. As a Lebanese Male, like most others I know, we prefer our own race to "whites". Even many of us who are very fair skinned, prefer tanned women. Hell I need a tan. I also believe from my experience that Persians are very insecure about their skin. One Persian girl who was dark was bragging to me that she was Aryan and that Iranians are white while Arabs are dark and Semitic. All this while I am the one who looked Scandanavian compared to her. I do not consider white skin superior. It is also a fact that men prefer Brunette to Blonde. Seriously just ask around its true

(salam)

(bismillah)

I don't think it is colonialism since we have Qur'aanic evidences and hadeeth to imply that even 1400 years ago white skin was an attraction. We have hadeeth that it is recommended (mustaHabb) to get married to a "white skinned" person.

When Allaah SWT describes the Houris (virgin maidens) that men are promised in heaven, Allaah SWT says:

ßóÃóäóøåõäóø ÇáúíóÇÞõæÊõ æóÇáúãóÑúÌóÇäõ

[surah al-RaHmaan (55) : Verse 58] - "They are like rubies and corals"

According to both Sunni and Shee`ah mufassireen these refer to the Houris and they say:

æ Þæáå (ßóÃóäóøåõäóø ÇáúíÇÞõæÊõ æó ÇáúãóÑúÌÇäõ) ÞÇá ÇáÍÓä: åä Úáì ÕÝÇÁ ÇáíÇÞæÊ Ýí ÈíÇÖ ÇáãÑÌÇä. æ Þíá: ßÇáíÇÞæÊ Ýí ÇáÍÓä æ ÇáÕÝÇÁ æ ÇáäæÑ. æ ÞÇá ÇáÍÓä:

ÇáãÑÌÇä ÃÔÏ ÇááÄáÄ ÈíÇÖíÇð æ åæ ÕÛÇÑå

and He SWT "They are like rubies and corals" al-Hasan said: "they are fine like rubies and white like corals. And others say: Like rubies in beauty, fineness, brightness. and al-Hasan said: al-Marjaan (corals) is extremely pearly white, and they are young

• Source:
  • al-Toosi, al-Tibyaan fee Tafseer al-Qur'aan, vol. 9, pg. 48

ßóÃóäóøåõäóø ÇáúíÇÞõæÊõ æó ÇáúãóÑúÌÇäõ Ýí ÍãÑÉ ÇáæÌäÉ æ ÈíÇÖ ÇáÈÔÑÉ æ ÕÝÇÆåãÇ

"They are like rubies and corals" with red cheeks, and white complexion and fineness

• Source:
  • FayD al-Kashaanee, Tafseer al-Saafee, vol. 5, pg. 113

«æó ÇáúãóÑúÌÇäõ [58]»: Ýí ÈíÇÖ ÇáÈÔÑÉ.

"And the corals" (meaning) the white complexion"

• Source:
  • Muhammad bin Murtada al-Kashaani, Tafseer al-Mu`een, vol. 3, pg. 1450

ßóÃóäóøåõäóø ÇáúíÇÞõæÊõ æó ÇáúãóÑúÌÇäõ Ýí ÍãÑÉ ÇáæÌäÉ æ ÈíÇÖ ÇáÈÔÑÉ æ ÕÝÇÆåãÇ.

"They are like rubies and corals" - in red cheeks, and white complexion and fineness

• Source:
  • al-Kashaani, al-aSfee fee al-Tafseer al-Qur'aan, vol. 2, pg. 1247

Allaah SWT promised the houris for men in paradise, so by this we can assume that men at that time were attracted to white skinned women. Or you can assume that is what Allaah SWT thinks that is what beauty is. We also have hadeeth that says that it is recommended to get married to white skinned women.

20 - ÈóÇÈõ ÇÓúÊöÍúÈóÇÈö ÊóÒúæöíÌö ÇáúÈóíúÖóÇÁö æó ÇáÒóøÑúÞóÇÁö

"Chapter on the recommendation to marry white skinned and blue-eyed (people)"

• Source:
  • al-`Aamulee, Wasaa'il al-Shee`ah, vol. 20, ch. 20, pg. 58

(salam)

(salam)

(bismillah)

I don't think it is colonialism since we have Qur'aanic evidences and hadeeth to imply that even 1400 years ago white skin was an attraction. We have hadeeth that it is recommended (mustaHabb) to get married to a "white skinned" person.

When Allaah SWT describes the Houris (virgin maidens) that men are promised in heaven, Allaah SWT says:

According to both Sunni and Shee`ah mufassireen these refer to the Houris and they say:

æ Þæáå (ßóÃóäóøåõäóø ÇáúíÇÞõæÊõ æó ÇáúãóÑúÌÇäõ) ÞÇá ÇáÍÓä: åä Úáì ÕÝÇÁ ÇáíÇÞæÊ Ýí ÈíÇÖ ÇáãÑÌÇä. æ Þíá: ßÇáíÇÞæÊ Ýí ÇáÍÓä æ ÇáÕÝÇÁ æ ÇáäæÑ. æ ÞÇá ÇáÍÓä:

and He SWT "They are like rubies and corals" al-Hasan said: "they are fine like rubies and white like corals. And others say: Like rubies in beauty, fineness, brightness. and al-Hasan said: al-Marjaan (corals) is extremely pearly white, and they are young

Source:al-Toosi, al-Tibyaan fee Tafseer al-Qur'aan, vol. 9, pg. 48

"They are like rubies and corals" with red cheeks, and white complexion and fineness

Source:FayD al-Kashaanee, Tafseer al-Saafee, vol. 5, pg. 113

Source:Muhammad bin Murtada al-Kashaani, Tafseer al-Mu`een, vol. 3, pg. 1450

"They are like rubies and corals" - in red cheeks, and white complexion and fineness

Source:al-Kashaani, al-aSfee fee al-Tafseer al-Qur'aan, vol. 2, pg. 1247

Allaah SWT promised the houris for men in paradise, so by this we can assume that men at that time were attracted to white skinned women. Or you can assume that is what Allaah SWT thinks that is what beauty is. We also have hadeeth that says that it is recommended to get married to white skinned women.

Source:al-`Aamulee, Wasaa'il al-Shee`ah, vol. 20, ch. 20, pg. 58

(salam)

It's 'recommended' to marry White skin, Blue eyed people? There's no narration on this. It's only talking about the heavenly Houri and yes, they will be White because this colour is inherently seen as 'fresh', 'clean' and has a kind of 'splendour' about it.

BUT you cannot compare the colour of the Houri to the Human 'white' colour as these are in two differently total worlds and two totally different colours. No one is 'white' like the Houri lol

I find the chapter title to be very strange and misleading. There's no way you can prove that marrying White, blue eyed people is in anyway 'recommend' than marrying a tanned person with Hazel eyes. I find it bizarre that it's in one of our major Shia Books :wacko:

Very true. My family are lebanese/palestinian and they could easily be mistaken for spanish/italian etc. but my friend who is from iraq is so dark that he believes he looks pakistani (no offence meant here).

when i was in beirut there was NOONE as white as me (apart from the tetas :P), as everyone there likes a good tan. everyone believed i was syrian, as in syria (apparently) white skin is preferred.

i don't think arabs come into the discussion of "obsession with white skin". although, of course, i can't speak for all arabs. to groups "arabs" together is a huge generalistaion, as racially, i am not the same as iraqis, moroccans, khaleejis, sudanese or yemenis. for this reason, one cannot generalise on what "arabs" think or feel about skin colour.

fi aman illah

Guest Monad

I'd say "white" skin is probably a confused relation to "NUR" ( light ). But if one has ever seen "NUR" on a face then the face glows, some what of a strange sight but amazing. A lot of "good" faces are noticeable because of this "nur". It is probably more prevalent now as media has always put the "white roman" in the forefront, especially those blessed with good genetics.

What ever preference we have or color we are born with and the different gender's we are it would be better if we trained our selves to have self confidence. Especially from a young age.

(salam)

(bismillah)

• Source:
  • al-Toosi, al-Tibyaan fee Tafseer al-Qur'aan, vol. 9, pg. 48

• Source:
  • FayD al-Kashaanee, Tafseer al-Saafee, vol. 5, pg. 113

• Source:
  • Muhammad bin Murtada al-Kashaani, Tafseer al-Mu`een, vol. 3, pg. 1450

• Source:
  • al-Kashaani, al-aSfee fee al-Tafseer al-Qur'aan, vol. 2, pg. 1247

• Source:
  • al-`Aamulee, Wasaa'il al-Shee`ah, vol. 20, ch. 20, pg. 58

(salam)

Can u tell us the narrations in this chapter in english plz?

Thanks. And Does it mention blonde for hair colour by any chance? or a yellow perhaps?

Very true. My family are lebanese/palestinian and they could easily be mistaken for spanish/italian etc. but my friend who is from iraq is so dark that he believes he looks pakistani (no offence meant here).

when i was in beirut there was NOONE as white as me (apart from the tetas :P), as everyone there likes a good tan. everyone believed i was syrian, as in syria (apparently) white skin is preferred.

i don't think arabs come into the discussion of "obsession with white skin". although, of course, i can't speak for all arabs. to groups "arabs" together is a huge generalistaion, as racially, i am not the same as iraqis, moroccans, khaleejis, sudanese or yemenis. for this reason, one cannot generalise on what "arabs" think or feel about skin colour.

fi aman illah

Most Arabs from Lebanon or Syria or even northern Iraq are as fair-skinned as the Italians/Spaniards/Greeks. I think the "standard" Arab complexion can be found in Jordan / Palestine and Saudi Arabia. Gulf Arabs, Egyptians and most Iraqis are quite dark, and the Sudanese and Yemenis are Afro-Arab.

It has been found that, on average, women of a given ancestry have a lighter skin tone than men of the same ancestry[3] and that there is a sexual preference for paleness in women and darkness in men in many cultures throughout the world. In his foreword to Peter Frost's 2005 Fair Women, Dark Men,[100] University of Washington sociologist Pierre L. van den Berghe summarizes:

"Although virtually all cultures express a marked preference for fair female skin, even those with little or no exposure to European imperialism, and even those whose members are heavily pigmented, many are indifferent to male pigmentation or even prefer men to be darker."[101] "the trend ... in integrated societies has [been toward] increasing popularity for men of color, especially those [of] African descent. These trends have been recorded in areas such as South America, where in Brazil it was estimated that by 2009 black people of African descent will be the single most dominant ethnic group. In popular media in the western world 'blacks' have been repeatedly surrounded by advantageous stereotypes and myths that praise their athletic aptitudes amongst many other things, and often depict them as males of superior genetic inheritance."[100]Ripped it from wiki but same deal. It's not really a conscious or racist thing, its just built into us. Theres some study out there that they did but i dont want to go through all the effort of finding it.