18 replies to this topic

#1 shialady

shialady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts
  • Religion:shia

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:44 AM

i met a nigerian girl , she told me that now there r 10 millions shia in nigeria and many r following shia islam every year she also said than in ghana and tunisia shiism is increasing do u have any information about this allegations ?

#2 iSilurian

iSilurian

TheScientist

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Religion:Agnostic/Deist/Atheist depending on the God and definition of that God.

Posted 09 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

i met a nigerian girl , she told me that now there r 10 millions shia in nigeria and many r following shia islam every year she also said than in ghana and tunisia shiism is increasing do u have any information about this allegations ?

http://en.wikipedia....ents_in_Nigeria

Muslims in Nigerian practice the Maliki school of jurisprudence and are mostly Sunni Muslims, The Shia Muslims of Nigeria are primarily located in the Sokoto State.[8][9]

Sokoto State is located in the extreme northwest of Nigeria, near to the confluence of the Sokoto River and the Rima River. As of 2005 it has an estimated population of more than 4.2 million.

Sokoto State is mainly populated by Hausa people.[2] Most Sokoto State residents are Sunni Muslims, with a Shia minority; violence between the two groups is common.

It sounds to me that, these muslims, being from a far different region and living different lifestyles, appears to be creating a new form of demographic of Islam, some of which appear to be radical.

"Islam in Nigeria has witnessed a rise in the numbers of radical islamic sects notably among them,the Boko Haram, Maitatsine, Darul Islam[12][13] among others."
, Mohammed Yusuf,

"Boko Haram opposes not only Western education, but Western culture and modern science as well.[7] In a 2009 BBC interview, Yusuf (Leader of Boko Haram) stated that the belief that the world is a sphere is contrary to Islam and should be rejected, along with Darwinism and the theory that rain comes from water evaporated by the sun.[3]"

Maitatsine, Mohammed Marwa Maitatsine (died 1980) was an Islamic scholar in Nigeria. He was originally from Marwa in northern Cameroon. After his education he moved to Kano, Nigeria in about 1945, where he became known for his controversial preachings on the Qur'an. His dissent was disliked by the government, and he was exiled to Cameroon in the early 1960s. He returned to Kano and by 1972 he had a notable and increasingly militaristic following. In 1975 he was again arrested by Nigerian police for slander and public abuse of political authorities. But in that period he began to receive acceptance from religious authorities, especially after making hajj, the Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca. As his following increased in the 1970s, so did the number of confrontations between his adherents and the police. His preaching attracted largely a following of youths, unemployed migrants, and those who felt that mainstream Muslim teachers were not doing enough for their communities. Maitatsine claimed to be a prophet.[1]. He was killed by Nigerian security forces in 1980 during the Kano insurrection.

Darul Islam is an Islamic organisation in Nigeria, which maintains a compound outside the town of Mokwa, Niger State, where 3,000-4,000 adherents live. The group is headed by Amrul Bashir Abdullahi. The term Darul Islam refers to both the group and the community itself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ultimately, i would say that, these people do not appear to be shia, and from the sounds of it, theyre just developing new sects, and due to impoverished lifestyles they appear to be influenced in radical ways. With that said, i think it would be wise for Muslims (including Shia) to be careful before associating your name with them.

People often claim names or identify for themselves with other groups, but these people to me, do not sound like muslims, and even beyond that, even if you would consider them muslims, then i would go further to say that theyre not Shia.

Edited by iSilurian, 09 July 2011 - 12:19 PM.

#3 shialady

shialady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 03:25 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nigeria#New_radical_Islamic_movements_in_Nigeria

Muslims in Nigerian practice the Maliki school of jurisprudence and are mostly Sunni Muslims, The Shia Muslims of Nigeria are primarily located in the Sokoto State.[8][9]

Sokoto State is located in the extreme northwest of Nigeria, near to the confluence of the Sokoto River and the Rima River. As of 2005 it has an estimated population of more than 4.2 million.

Sokoto State is mainly populated by Hausa people.[2] Most Sokoto State residents are Sunni Muslims, with a Shia minority; violence between the two groups is common.

It sounds to me that, these muslims, being from a far different region and living different lifestyles, appears to be creating a new form of demographic of Islam, some of which appear to be radical.

"Islam in Nigeria has witnessed a rise in the numbers of radical islamic sects notably among them,the Boko Haram, Maitatsine, Darul Islam[12][13] among others."
, Mohammed Yusuf,

"Boko Haram opposes not only Western education, but Western culture and modern science as well.[7] In a 2009 BBC interview, Yusuf (Leader of Boko Haram) stated that the belief that the world is a sphere is contrary to Islam and should be rejected, along with Darwinism and the theory that rain comes from water evaporated by the sun.[3]"

Maitatsine, Mohammed Marwa Maitatsine (died 1980) was an Islamic scholar in Nigeria. He was originally from Marwa in northern Cameroon. After his education he moved to Kano, Nigeria in about 1945, where he became known for his controversial preachings on the Qur'an. His dissent was disliked by the government, and he was exiled to Cameroon in the early 1960s. He returned to Kano and by 1972 he had a notable and increasingly militaristic following. In 1975 he was again arrested by Nigerian police for slander and public abuse of political authorities. But in that period he began to receive acceptance from religious authorities, especially after making hajj, the Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca. As his following increased in the 1970s, so did the number of confrontations between his adherents and the police. His preaching attracted largely a following of youths, unemployed migrants, and those who felt that mainstream Muslim teachers were not doing enough for their communities. Maitatsine claimed to be a prophet.[1]. He was killed by Nigerian security forces in 1980 during the Kano insurrection.

Darul Islam is an Islamic organisation in Nigeria, which maintains a compound outside the town of Mokwa, Niger State, where 3,000-4,000 adherents live. The group is headed by Amrul Bashir Abdullahi. The term Darul Islam refers to both the group and the community itself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ultimately, i would say that, these people do not appear to be shia, and from the sounds of it, theyre just developing new sects, and due to impoverished lifestyles they appear to be influenced in radical ways. With that said, i think it would be wise for Muslims (including Shia) to be careful before associating your name with them.

People often claim names or identify for themselves with other groups, but these people to me, do not sound like muslims, and even beyond that, even if you would consider them muslims, then i would go further to say that theyre not Shia.

Shi'a Islam in NigeriaFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaJump to: navigation, search
Though the majority of the Nigerian Muslim population is Sunni (60 million), there is a significant Shia minority (5-10 million), particularly in the northern states of Kano and Sokoto.[1]

this is really astonishing 30 years ago there was no shia there

#4 Kismet110

Kismet110

Haiderium Qualandaram Mastam

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,505 posts
  • Religion:Shi'ah Of Maula Ali
  • Interests:Paradise

Posted 09 July 2011 - 05:20 PM

According to World Factbook 50% of the 155 million population of Nigeria is Muslim.

Even if only 5% of them were Shi'ah that would be around 4 million, probably closer to the true figure than 10 million.

ALI

Edited by Kismet110, 09 July 2011 - 05:21 PM.

#5 macisaac

macisaac

واقفي

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,701 posts
  • Religion:الإسلام
  • Interests:Loving my Queen

Posted 09 July 2011 - 07:23 PM

I don't know about the upper figure of 10 million, however Shiism has developed a very significant following in Nigeria over the last 30 years or so, Shaykh Ibrahim Zakzaky being a prominent leader there. Moreover, Shiism has been spreading a great deal in much of Africa in recent decades. Go to Qum and you'll find that after Indo-Pakistanis, Africans represent the largest bloc of foreign students there, and not just from Nigeria, but from several African nations.

#6 Nima

Nima

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:05 PM

I don't know about the upper figure of 10 million, however Shiism has developed a very significant following in Nigeria over the last 30 years or so, Shaykh Ibrahim Zakzaky being a prominent leader there. Moreover, Shiism has been spreading a great deal in much of Africa in recent decades. Go to Qum and you'll find that after Indo-Pakistanis, Africans represent the largest bloc of foreign students there, and not just from Nigeria, but from several African nations.

Indeed.

Shia increase was particularly noticeable in Africa after the Islamic revolution in Iran. We see that many Shia muslims in Africa have pictures of Seyyed Ali Khamenei and Imam Khomeini.

Believe it or not: D

Edited by Nima, 09 July 2011 - 08:06 PM.

#7 south-lebanon

south-lebanon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 01:55 AM

It is a syncretic form of shia which is followed in Nigeria, meaning it mixes shia with sunni, so they may acknowledge first 3 caliphs then the imamah :unsure:

#8 Ajeeb

Ajeeb

• Banned
  • 51 posts
  • Religion:Hezbollah/Twelver Shi'ism
  • Interests:women/ poetry/ nature/ mysticism/ History.... etc.

Posted 11 July 2011 - 01:17 PM

wow

#9 smfaheem

smfaheem
  • Basic Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:32 PM

It is a syncretic form of shia which is followed in Nigeria, meaning it mixes shia with sunni, so they may acknowledge first 3 caliphs then the imamah :unsure:

No, the shias there are not syncretic. They are completely imami shia and reject the sunni caliphs and yazid and muawiah as well. The main leader of nigerian shias is Sheikh Ibrahim Zakzaky and he had studies in iran. Their other leaders have also studies in iran. Here is their official website in English:

http://islamicmovement.org/
and arabic link :

http://www.alharakah.net/

Also, you can find their videos of ashura on youtube. Search "ashura in Nigeria" on youtube. The population of shias in nigeria is approx 4 to 5 million and most of them converted to shia islam during the last 30 years.

#10 smfaheem

smfaheem
  • Basic Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

Also, shia islam is increasing in Ghana and Senegal as well. See the photos of Shia in Ghana using below link:

SHIA in GHANA albums

Also video of Ashura procession in Ghana below :

Ashura Procession Ghana video

Here you will find an interesting article of Shia in Senegal.

I also have the video of Ashura in Senegal but will share later. The main leader of Senegal shia is Cherif Mohamed Ali Aidara. If any one wants to know more about him, search on google.

#11 shialady

shialady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:45 AM

Also, shia islam is increasing in Ghana and Senegal as well. See the photos of Shia in Ghana using below link:

SHIA in GHANA albums

Also video of Ashura procession in Ghana below :

Ashura Procession Ghana video

Here you will find an interesting article of Shia in Senegal.

I also have the video of Ashura in Senegal but will share later. The main leader of Senegal shia is Cherif Mohamed Ali Aidara. If any one wants to know more about him, search on google.

the shia faith is flourish

#12 Gepetto_Zapata

Gepetto_Zapata

• Banned
  • 1,911 posts
  • Religion:Humanity
  • Interests:Riba is haraam...

Posted 30 July 2011 - 12:49 PM

I'm here now for work, and yes I was surprised about the amount of Shias here after I came... And at the rate of conversions too. I'm in Kano, in the north, quite a few Shias here, but it's mostly in Zaria about 2 hours from here by car, that you find a large quantity of Shias, in the hometown of sheikh Zakzaky... And they are hardcore Shias filled with hate on ALL the oppressors of Ahlulbayt s., just like us, they do not acknowledge the 1st three caliphs...

#13 shialady

shialady

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 01:02 PM

I'm here now for work, and yes I was surprised about the amount of Shias here after I came... And at the rate of conversions too. I'm in Kano, in the north, quite a few Shias here, but it's mostly in Zaria about 2 hours from here by car, that you find a large quantity of Shias, in the hometown of sheikh Zakzaky... And they are hardcore Shias filled with hate on ALL the oppressors of Ahlulbayt s., just like us, they do not acknowledge the 1st three caliphs...

brother is it true that there conversion in mass ?

#14 smfaheem

smfaheem
  • Basic Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

see the Conference of Members of Ahlul Bayt World Assembly in Pictures:

Conference Pics

Besides africa, shia islam is also spreading in some of Latin American countries like Colombia , Argentina, Bolivia, Haiti etc and also in southeast asian countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore etc. There are lots of youtube videos supporting this.

see website of shia in colombia Here and their photos Here

But problem is that salafism / wahabism is spreading at higher rate than shia islam due to the lots of funding from Saudi and Gulf countries (Salafi preachers get lots of fund from gulf to construct mosques and do dawah everywhere in the world). Gulf economies are much better than that of Iran due to sanctions on Iran. But anyways we hope for better and do our individual dawah work where ever we go to counter it and do not depend on Iran or any other shia country for help. I hope that once Iraq is stable, it will produce lots of oil and hopefully shia will get funding from Iraqi shia and Marjiyya inshallah.

#15 south-lebanon

south-lebanon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 09:24 PM

well thats very pleasing to learn alhamdullah, especially from someone that lives there to confirm it, inshallah they continue to strengthen. Is there anyway for someone to edit the wikipedia page on Shi'a Islam in Nigeria It incorrectly states that Ibraheem Zakzaky introduced a syncretic blend of Shia and Sunni Islam to Nigeria, i looked this up on wikipedia years ago when i first heard about shia in Nigeria and its obviously still there.

see the Conference of Members of Ahlul Bayt World Assembly in Pictures:

Conference Pics

Besides africa, shia islam is also spreading in some of Latin American countries like Colombia , Argentina, Bolivia, Haiti etc and also in southeast asian countries like Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, Singapore etc. There are lots of youtube videos supporting this.

see website of shia in colombia Here and their photos Here

But problem is that salafism / wahabism is spreading at higher rate than shia islam due to the lots of funding from Saudi and Gulf countries (Salafi preachers get lots of fund from gulf to construct mosques and do dawah everywhere in the world). Gulf economies are much better than that of Iran due to sanctions on Iran. But anyways we hope for better and do our individual dawah work where ever we go to counter it and do not depend on Iran or any other shia country for help. I hope that once Iraq is stable, it will produce lots of oil and hopefully shia will get funding from Iraqi shia and Marjiyya inshallah.

I wouldnt worry about salafism/wahabism spreading at a faster rate, they may have the quantity on us but shias preach the quality of Islam. Oil money wont last forever, and once this dries up there will be nothing to prop up their backward beliefs with, and alhamduillah shias dont need money to spread their faith, the story on the oppresson of imam Hussain (as) and all the household of rasoullallah is enough for us.

Edited by south-lebanon, 30 July 2011 - 09:25 PM.

#16 smfaheem

smfaheem
  • Basic Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 05:40 AM

well thats very pleasing to learn alhamdullah, especially from someone that lives there to confirm it, inshallah they continue to strengthen. Is there anyway for someone to edit the wikipedia page on Shi'a Islam in Nigeria It incorrectly states that Ibraheem Zakzaky introduced a syncretic blend of Shia and Sunni Islam to Nigeria, i looked this up on wikipedia years ago when i first heard about shia in Nigeria and its obviously still there.

I wouldnt worry about salafism/wahabism spreading at a faster rate, they may have the quantity on us but shias preach the quality of Islam. Oil money wont last forever, and once this dries up there will be nothing to prop up their backward beliefs with, and alhamduillah shias dont need money to spread their faith, the story on the oppresson of imam Hussain (as) and all the household of rasoullallah is enough for us.

I am not saying that we should worry about the pathetic ideas of salafis. What i am talking about is to do dawah work everywhere in the world to show them the truth. Even we should do dawah to salafis as well. In this century, we have much more opportunity to spread the true message of ahlulbayt (a.s) as compare to the past centuries due to open media and information.

#17 JimJam

JimJam

The World for Man, Man for God.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 07:09 AM

^Let them spread all they want. Salafis cant stand in a proper debate, they will just eventually adopt a more moderate position and some may eventually even join the ranks of Shia

Edited by JimJam, 31 July 2011 - 07:09 AM.

#18 south-lebanon

south-lebanon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 08:38 AM

^Let them spread all they want. Salafis cant stand in a proper debate, they will just eventually adopt a more moderate position and some may eventually even join the ranks of Shia

exactly my point bro, the salafis may have the quantity on us but they lack the quality, who cares about who they convert, its will only be for a brief period of history and then it will be finished!! :)

#19 Gepetto_Zapata

Gepetto_Zapata

• Banned
  • 1,911 posts
  • Religion:Humanity
  • Interests:Riba is haraam...

Posted 01 August 2011 - 04:28 AM

Yes shialady, their conversions are many, as in all over the world, and well. Also here, even a poor man marries more than one wife and normally has 20 children, a bit less or a bit more... No exaggeration... So maybe that's how they're plenty now alongside conversions... Haha...

Guys click HERE, I think the links on the left side are all pictures...

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users