31 replies to this topic

#1 learning22

learning22

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts
  • Religion:i dont trust sunni hadiths;

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:39 PM

A lot of my friends go to women who can "tell the future". The things that the women tell them come out to be true. How does this work & is it haram?

thank you.

#2 Dhulfikar

Dhulfikar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts
  • Religion:Islam
  • Interests:Islam, Mathematics, Nature.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 09:41 PM

A lot of my friends go to women who can "tell the future". The things that the women tell them come out to be true. How does this work & is it haram?

thank you.

Yes it is haram.

#3 layman

layman

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:03 PM

thank you.

Go to that women and ask about your future (let your friend ask for you). During the session, do not speak to her, don't entertain any question that she might have, don't give feedbacks or impression when she say something...in other words...totally ignore her during the session. Pretend that you are not even there.

Now...let see whether she can tell you your future.

The moment you open your mouth and say something or your body react to the questions asked by her...you are revealing your secret and smart people can read your mind.

#4 Awaiting_for_the12th

Awaiting_for_the12th

WF

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:16 PM

thank you.

is the women pious? does she show sign of being a true servant of Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì. If she does then its actually really simple for her to see your future. Anyone can do it, just requires training your nafs

#5 Gypsy

Gypsy

Hal Min Nasirin Yansurna

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,509 posts
  • Interests:Exposing hypocrisy and double standards.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:41 PM

(salam)
Don't believe it even if it is true. Whatever they tell you will also be applicable to all their other customers. They always generalized when telling your fortune. It is psychology.

#6 Hamzi

Hamzi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:10 AM

(salam)
Don't believe it even if it is true. Whatever they tell you will also be applicable to all their other customers. They always generalized when telling your fortune. It is psychology.

Thats right

#7 Dhulfikar

Dhulfikar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:46 AM

is the women pious? does she show sign of being a true servant of Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì. If she does then its actually really simple for her to see your future. Anyone can do it, just requires training your nafs

There is no such a ability that we can see others people future. Fortunetellers, Horoscopes and Astrology are all haram.

#8 Awaiting_for_the12th

Awaiting_for_the12th

WF

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

There is no such a ability that we can see others people future. Fortunetellers, Horoscopes and Astrology are all haram.

you sure about that? from all the scholars i have known: Moulana Murtaza Zaidi, Moulana Ayleya, Moulana Jawad Naqvi, Sheikh Hamza Sodagar disagree from you. I take their opinion over yours.
One way to know your future ALL the way till your death is: reading Surah Al Qadr 1000 times each night, as explained by Moulana Zaidi (again not my opinion). This is not Knowledge of Unseen, rather Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì removes some curtains from your spiritual eyes.

#9 Dhulfikar

Dhulfikar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 12:58 PM

you sure about that? from all the scholars i have known: Moulana Murtaza Zaidi, Moulana Ayleya, Moulana Jawad Naqvi, Sheikh Hamza Sodagar disagree from you. I take their opinion over yours.
One way to know your future ALL the way till your death is: reading Surah Al Qadr 1000 times each night, as explained by Moulana Zaidi (again not my opinion). This is not Knowledge of Unseen, rather Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì removes some curtains from your spiritual eyes.

Please prove their statements and their reference.

One way to know your future ALL the way till your death is: reading Surah Al Qadr 1000 times each night, as explained by Moulana Zaidi (again not my opinion).

Reference? (Zaidi is not a reference here)

This is not Knowledge of Unseen, rather Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì removes some curtains from your spiritual eyes.

Actually it is Knowledge of Unseen. It is a knowledge which in reality is unseen from us, because we do not know what will happen to us in future.

The only one who received some of knowledge of unseen was Prophet Muhammad (SAWS). Imams only learned from Prophet Muhammad (saws) of this knowledge and of course others knowledge as well.

[God alone is] the knower of the Unseen and He does not disclose His Unseen to anyone, except a Messenger whom He has chosen. (72:26-7)

Edited by Zufa, 05 July 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#10 Awaiting_for_the12th

Awaiting_for_the12th

WF

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:39 PM

^^ i dont want to hijack this thread and discuss knowledge of unseen. From your reply it seems you have trouble even believing Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) knowledge, so its pointless from going forward from here. A friendly advice: spend more time listening to lectures and reading books (Irfan by Ayatullah Mutahhari for starters) then being on SC. Also stop interpreting Quran unless you have the credentials to do it.

#11 abbas110

abbas110

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:41 PM

I have heard it all before but never seen an ioata of real evidence. Agree with Zufa and Zareen.

#12 The Exalted One

The Exalted One

wat

• Unregistered
  • PipPip
  • 639 posts
  • Religion:No religion. No philosophy. No ideology.
  • Interests:Not very interesting interests.

Posted 05 July 2011 - 01:56 PM

Fortune tellers, eh? Well, the way most of them operate is simple: say some ambiguous, vague, complicated, irrelevant, abstract and open-ended statements which can be stretch and be interpreted as... anything. Mostly, people use that prediction as torch to seek out information, events that confirms their bias and/or prejudices and stretch the interpretation of it to fit certain [Edited Out] and Voila! Prophecy fulfilled. Nothing new. Quite boring, actually. Hell, most of the times the so-called predictions occur more than once because... well... they can be applied to MANY things. And when some prediction [or interpretation of it] turns out incorrect, the proverbial fortune-tellers quickly cover their tracks and pull the classic "The prophecy was true, our interpretation of it was flawed!" excuse and puts forth new excuse/interpretation... and the cycle continues...

But then again, I haven't met all of the fortune-tellers so I maybe generalizing here, but I find them phoney. Just my two cents.

Edited by The Exalted One, 05 July 2011 - 02:00 PM.

#13 Dhulfikar

Dhulfikar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:08 PM

^^ i dont want to hijack this thread and discuss knowledge of unseen.

I dont think we will have fruitful discussion so i leave it aside.

From your reply it seems you have trouble even believing Prophet Mohammad (pbuh) knowledge, so its pointless from going forward from here.

Lovely how people can use words. If you think it is pointless, then it is pointless.

A friendly advice: spend more time listening to lectures and reading books (Irfan by Ayatullah Mutahhari for starters) then being on SC. Also stop interpreting Quran unless you have the credentials to do it.

Thanks.

#14 DarthMalik

DarthMalik

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:37 PM

Its tough to say. I've met people who can tell you things through spiritual means. Some even do it through the workings of jinn. There are people who are born with certain gifts that allow them to catch glimpses of things, let alone see them. As for us not knowing what our future is, I disagree. 'Irfan is enough of a subject to prove otherwise, however it is not the topic of this discussion.

#15 asharp

asharp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Religion:Muslim
  • Interests:Islam, philosophy and getting to 8% body fat

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:53 PM

If you think someone can tell you the future and you actaully believe it, it is a very big SHirk. If she could tell the future why doesnt she buy a tatslotto ticket? instead of making 100-200 here and there.

The real fortune tellers can hear the Jin. So they tell you things that no one knows..... But no1 knows the future except Allah.......... or the Prophets and Imams (only about certain things)

Edited by asharp, 05 July 2011 - 06:56 PM.

#16 DarthMalik

DarthMalik

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 07:33 PM

If you think someone can tell you the future and you actaully believe it, it is a very big SHirk. If she could tell the future why doesnt she buy a tatslotto ticket? instead of making 100-200 here and there.

The real fortune tellers can hear the Jin. So they tell you things that no one knows..... But no1 knows the future except Allah.......... or the Prophets and Imams (only about certain things)

Why is it shirk? And if you could "tell the future" (the term itself is a cliche) is that the first thing you would do? Buy lotto? What I would think is that those who reach such a high level of spiritual existence, allowing them to see certain things and having veils removed from their eyes, no longer have any self worth or ambition. They don't use their "abilities" or "skills" to further their selves, rather their sole purpose is to worship Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì. Now the "fortunetellers" or less spiritually advanced people may not have this, but I don't doubt that it works, albeit to a lesser degree. Some can hear and see the jinn. Some jinn gain the information through the Quran, while the others do it in a more ill-mannered way. Either way there are rules, and either way it could work. As for the Prophets and Imams, they know what Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì chooses to give them, which includes the future in many instances.

#17 Awaiting_for_the12th

Awaiting_for_the12th

WF

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:34 PM

Why is it shirk? And if you could "tell the future" (the term itself is a cliche) is that the first thing you would do? Buy lotto? What I would think is that those who reach such a high level of spiritual existence, allowing them to see certain things and having veils removed from their eyes, no longer have any self worth or ambition. They don't use their "abilities" or "skills" to further their selves, rather their sole purpose is to worship Allah سبحانه وتعالى. Now the "fortunetellers" or less spiritually advanced people may not have this, but I don't doubt that it works, albeit to a lesser degree. Some can hear and see the jinn. Some jinn gain the information through the Quran, while the others do it in a more ill-mannered way. Either way there are rules, and either way it could work. As for the Prophets and Imams, they know what Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì chooses to give them, which includes the future in many instances.

nicely explained.
Some of you really need to sharpen up on basic islamic definitions on what shirk is, what forturne telling vs Irfan is, what is sorcery and what is karmat. Even a non muslim can earn some "gifts". A small event during the time of one of masoomen (as). There was a famous jew who came to muslims and showed his "gift". He could easily tell what people were hiding in their homes and at what places. The muslims at that time were amazed (like some of us here) and started believing the jew as a holy man. The muslims took them to the Imam of the time (i forgot which imam (as) was it). The Imam asked him to show his skill, which he did. The imam asked him to tell people how he gained this gift, which he explained that whenever a choice came in his life in which he had to chose between his heart (desires) vs his brain (logic) he always picked his brain. So by training his nafs he was able to gain this ability which Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì granted. Then the Imam gave him some proofs of end of prophethood and asked what he believes. He replied that his heart disagrees but his brain accepts the proofs. Imam said that you have always listened to your brain. He agrees and converts to islam, while losing that ability.
This event is used by many scholars to explain how its not hard to have the extraordinary in our lives, BUT our goal is Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì not this stuff. You can go to India and in their villages you will see people drinking blood and gross stuff, which is that they are training their nafs by taking it away from desires and they gain amazing abilities. Read books people. Again this is not Knowledge of Unseen.

Edited by rballer, 05 July 2011 - 08:38 PM.

#18 asharp

asharp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:44 PM

Why is it shirk? And if you could "tell the future" (the term itself is a cliche) is that the first thing you would do? Buy lotto? What I would think is that those who reach such a high level of spiritual existence, allowing them to see certain things and having veils removed from their eyes, no longer have any self worth or ambition. They don't use their "abilities" or "skills" to further their selves, rather their sole purpose is to worship Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì. Now the "fortunetellers" or less spiritually advanced people may not have this, but I don't doubt that it works, albeit to a lesser degree. Some can hear and see the jinn. Some jinn gain the information through the Quran, while the others do it in a more ill-mannered way. Either way there are rules, and either way it could work. As for the Prophets and Imams, they know what Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì chooses to give them, which includes the future in many instances.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Shirk_(Islam)

Such a Cliche is it? How much do these fortune tells charge a person? why not do it for free.

#19 Dhulfikar

Dhulfikar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:59 PM

What I would think is that those who reach such a high level of spiritual existence, allowing them to see certain things and having veils removed from their eyes, no longer have any self worth or ambition.

Is it that what you understand about removing certains veils from the eyes? That we see Future events?

#20 learning22

learning22

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:41 PM

I found this post on Yahoo Answers about people who "tell the future"...what do ou guys think?

Alright sis in a nutshell:

1. Jinns steal info from angels.

2. Allah put up a system where if jinns fly up to the heavens stars and flames chase them out.

3. Sometimes jinns DO get that info and pass it down all the way to the fortune teller

4. These are bad jinns so no you don't have to be muslim, in fact no muslim interacts with these jinns.

5. If a Jinn steals the info as the angels discuss it he will be punished with the star/flame.

6. This is in perfect unison with islamic teachings nothing contradictory here.

7. NOONE tells the future but angels carry out decrees and discuss it etc so if a jinn overhears it he knows what is going to happen and tells his fortune teller friend.

8. This is in the Qur'an and hadith just so you know

9. Although they get information they are still lying evil doing jinns so they tell half of the truth and half of it is false to the teller and the teller tells his client half of what will really happen and the rest is made up.

#21 Awaiting_for_the12th

Awaiting_for_the12th

WF

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:32 AM

^^ you sure you didnt get it from comedycentral?

#22 learning22

learning22

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:33 AM

@rballer no lol

#23 DarthMalik

DarthMalik

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:58 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirk_(Islam)

Such a Cliche is it? How much do these fortune tells charge a person? why not do it for free.

Honestly, those that do it the right way tend not to ask for anything. One such individual does a'maal and writes hijabs to remove sorcery and hasad from hurting people. Another will answer your questions before you even ask them (not based on body language but very specific direct answers). On the other hand, there is another that will write hijabs and read coffee cups for quite a substantial monetary price. The first and third do this through interaction with jinn. The second is a 'aarif.

By the way, I read the wikipedia article in your link above about shirk, and i didn't find any mention of anything that pertains to this discussion, other than the word "shirk" itself.

Is it that what you understand about removing certains veils from the eyes? That we see Future events?

It is only a minor example of what can be revealed. Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì will open the secrets of the skies and the earths to his sincere followers, as stated numerous times in the Quran, so why not? When you hear stories of the earth folding beneath the feet of Ulema allowing them to travel great distances in merely steps, or that a 'aarif can see the angels of the dawn rise as the angels of the night decend, or that an individual can see the aura of people's spirits around their physical bodies, its not hard to believe what capabilities humans have that are not made public.

I found this post on Yahoo Answers about people who "tell the future"...what do ou guys think?

Alright sis in a nutshell:

1. Jinns steal info from angels.

2. Allah put up a system where if jinns fly up to the heavens stars and flames chase them out.

3. Sometimes jinns DO get that info and pass it down all the way to the fortune teller

4. These are bad jinns so no you don't have to be muslim, in fact no muslim interacts with these jinns.

5. If a Jinn steals the info as the angels discuss it he will be punished with the star/flame.

6. This is in perfect unison with islamic teachings nothing contradictory here.

7. NOONE tells the future but angels carry out decrees and discuss it etc so if a jinn overhears it he knows what is going to happen and tells his fortune teller friend.

8. This is in the Qur'an and hadith just so you know

9. Although they get information they are still lying evil doing jinns so they tell half of the truth and half of it is false to the teller and the teller tells his client half of what will really happen and the rest is made up.

Can't help but feel that someone deserves credit for this, because it's obvious that quite a bit of thought went into it.

^^ you sure you didnt get it from comedycentral?

That would explain quite a bit. :)

#24 Dhulfikar

Dhulfikar

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,999 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:41 AM

It is only a minor example of what can be revealed. Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì will open the secrets of the skies and the earths to his sincere followers, as stated numerous times in the Quran, so why not?

I have no doubt that Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì may reveal some knowledge or viewpoint that are not comprehend by our mind and heart before. But we are talking about the knowledge of future, which is a part of Knowledge of Unseen (Because Future event is unseen from us, and knowing the future event is a "knowledge" of unseen). Also we are not speaking about knowledge which is based on probability.

When you hear stories of the earth folding beneath the feet of Ulema allowing them to travel great distances in merely steps,

If God wills.

or that a 'aarif can see the angels of the dawn rise as the angels of the night decend, or that an individual can see the aura of people's spirits around their physical bodies, its not hard to believe what capabilities humans have that are not made public.

Even Aimmah(as) can't see Angels.

A number of our people has narrated from Ahmad ibn Muhammad from Ahmad ibn Muhammad ibn abu Nasr from Tha‘laba ibn Maymun from Zurara who has said the following:
"I asked abu ‘Abdallah (a.s.) about the words of Allah, the Most Holy, the Most High, ‘He was a messenger, a prophet’. What is a messenger and what is a prophet?’" The Imam said, "A prophet is one who sees things in his dream and hears the voice but does not see the angel. The messenger is one who hears the voice, in his dreams and sees the angel." I then said, "What is the position of the Imam?" The Imam (a.s.) said, "He hears the voice but does not see and observe the angel" Then he recited the following verse of the Holy Quran. ‘Satan would try to tamper with the desires of every Prophet or Messenger or Muhaddith (Muhaddith is a commentary of Imam (a.s.), whom We sent . . .’" (22:52)

Ref: Kitab al-Hujjah, al-Kafi

Edited by Zufa, 06 July 2011 - 04:53 AM.

#25 asharp

asharp

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:46 PM

Honestly, those that do it the right way tend not to ask for anything. One such individual does a'maal and writes hijabs to remove sorcery and hasad from hurting people. Another will answer your questions before you even ask them (not based on body language but very specific direct answers). On the other hand, there is another that will write hijabs and read coffee cups for quite a substantial monetary price. The first and third do this through interaction with jinn. The second is a 'aarif.

By the way, I read the wikipedia article in your link above about shirk, and i didn't find any mention of anything that pertains to this discussion, other than the word "shirk" itself.

It is only a minor example of what can be revealed. Allah ÓÈÍÇäå æÊÚÇáì will open the secrets of the skies and the earths to his sincere followers, as stated numerous times in the Quran, so why not? When you hear stories of the earth folding beneath the feet of Ulema allowing them to travel great distances in merely steps, or that a 'aarif can see the angels of the dawn rise as the angels of the night decend, or that an individual can see the aura of people's spirits around their physical bodies, its not hard to believe what capabilities humans have that are not made public.

Can't help but feel that someone deserves credit for this, because it's obvious that quite a bit of thought went into it.

That would explain quite a bit. :)

Sorry i wasnt more clear. There are different kinds of shirk.

Fortune-telling is considered 'Shirk Akbar' (the major and serious form of
polytheism) for two reasons. First, it implies the acquisition of knowledge of
the Unseen, which is unique to Allah, (alone). 'Say: 'None in the Heaven and the
Earth knows the Ghaib (unseen) except Allah, nor can they perceive when they
shall be resurrected.' (Qur?an 27: 65).

http://www.islamawar...ic/fortune.html

Im certain the Shia view point is the same

Edited by asharp, 06 July 2011 - 06:48 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users