The Story Of Rodinia

11 replies to this topic

#1 iSilurian

iSilurian

TheScientist

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Religion:Agnostic/Deist/Atheist depending on the God and definition of that God.

Posted 24 June 2011 - 10:59 PM

This is just a little story i like to share on occasion. Its based on scientific evidence, but to those who do not know the story of Rodinia, it can be viewed as a nice story instead :P.

Long ago, roughly a billion years ago, the super continent Rodinia emerged. Much like Pangea (which many seem to know more about), Rodinia was the compilation of many continents, gathered around the equator of the planet.

The massive super continent brought about great changes to the planet. It stripped the atmosphere of its warming gases, and its orbital cycles created a cool freezing affect. Its massive size disrupting oceanic circulation.

Eventually, around 800 million years ago the entire planet froze over in a massive sheet of ice a mile high.

But it wouldnt last forever. The rifts in Rodinia eventually pushed its pieces apart. The vulcanism from within it warmed the planet and gases re entered the atmosphere. As continents moved away from the equator, their reflectivity was less effective at cooling the planet. And so, the majority of ice retreated, leaving a new warm temperate environment.

The newly rifted supercontinent had at this point increased surface area from its rifting and created great warm temperate havens for the first complex lifeforms to explode in population on earth. This occurred around 600 million years ago with the ediacara biota and the ensuing cambrian explosion.

And thats about it :P. And so, in a general way, here we have the story of the first complex life on earth.

My wording isnt exactly perfect, but if anyone is interested in particular details feel free to ask, likewise if anyone is familiar with this material and is interested in pointing out potential errors in my translation from research to general story telling, feel free to speak up.

Alrighty, adios all.

Edited by iSilurian, 24 June 2011 - 11:02 PM.

#2 La fata illa Ali

La fata illa Ali

Fuztu wa rabbil Ka`ba !!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts
  • Religion:Islam - Jaffari School of thought

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:03 PM

This is just a little story i like to share on occasion. Its based on scientific evidence, but to those who do not know the story of Rodinia, it can be viewed as a nice story instead :P.

Long ago, roughly a billion years ago, the super continent Rodinia emerged. Much like Pangea (which many seem to know more about), Rodinia was the compilation of many continents, gathered around the equator of the planet.

The massive super continent brought about great changes to the planet. It stripped the atmosphere of its warming gases, and its orbital cycles created a cool freezing affect. Its massive size disrupting oceanic circulation.

Eventually, around 800 million years ago the entire planet froze over in a massive sheet of ice a mile high.

But it wouldnt last forever. The rifts in Rodinia eventually pushed its pieces apart. The vulcanism from within it warmed the planet and gases re entered the atmosphere. As continents moved away from the equator, their reflectivity was less effective at cooling the planet. And so, the majority of ice retreated, leaving a new warm temperate environment.

The newly rifted supercontinent had at this point increased surface area from its rifting and created great warm temperate havens for the first complex lifeforms to explode in population on earth. This occurred around 600 million years ago with the ediacara biota and the ensuing cambrian explosion.

And thats about it :P.

My wording isnt exactly perfect, but if anyone is interested in particular details feel free to ask, likewise if anyone is familiar with this material and is interested in pointing out potential errors in my translation from research to general story telling, feel free to speak up.

Alrighty, adios all.

I got a potential problem with the bolded part...

U arent talking about Humans just appearing out of nowhere?

#3 iSilurian

iSilurian

TheScientist

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts
  • Religion:Agnostic/Deist/Atheist depending on the God and definition of that God.

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:05 PM

I got a potential problem with the bolded part...

U arent talking about Humans just appearing out of nowhere?

Ah, this is roughly 600 million years ago. To put this into perspective, dinosaurs were around roughly 250 million years ago. And we're much younger than the dinosaurs, at...well depending on what stage were talking about, humans at 400 thousand years ago.

So this is, before the time of humans.

By "complex", im referring to morphological, anatomically advanced. Living things beyond prokaryotes and eukaryotes.

Edited by iSilurian, 24 June 2011 - 11:08 PM.

#4 La fata illa Ali

La fata illa Ali

Fuztu wa rabbil Ka`ba !!!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,321 posts
  • Religion:Islam - Jaffari School of thought

Posted 24 June 2011 - 11:08 PM

Ah, this is roughly 600 million years ago. To put this into perspective, dinosaurs were around roughly 250 million years ago. And we're much younger than the dinosaurs, at...well depending on what stage were talking about, humans at 400 thousand years ago.

So this is, before the time of humans.

I wonder what the islamic perspective is regarding the creation of other species.

i dont know the islamic view on creationism in regards to the animals and stuff.

#5 Fardeen

Fardeen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:24 AM

very intresting.. nice post

#6 iSilurian

iSilurian

TheScientist

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:27 AM

very intresting.. nice post

Ty Fardeen

#7 Master Chief

Master Chief

• Advanced Members
  • PipPip
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:I'm John 117

Posted 25 June 2011 - 02:34 PM

And thats about it :P. And so, in a general way, here we have the story of the first complex life on earth.

Alrighty, adios all.

I remember this story. Thank you for refreshing for it for me (it has been awhile since I researched in the field on Geology)

#8 iSilurian

iSilurian

TheScientist

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:02 PM

This is just a little story i like to share on occasion. Its based on scientific evidence, but to those who do not know the story of Rodinia, it can be viewed as a nice story instead Posted Image.

And thats about it Posted Image. And so, in a general way, here we have the story of the first complex life on earth.

Alrighty, adios all.

I wonder how many people actually know of the ediacara biota. Often i hear people talking about the first man and women, ya know, Adam and Eve. But where are the people talking about the real first humans? or the real first complex life.

https://www.google.c...iw=1280&bih=668

This is the first complex life.

Posted Image

Think about what it means, and how it relates to who we are.

#9 adnan121

adnan121

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 170 posts
  • Religion:muslim -shia

Posted 14 May 2012 - 02:11 PM

#10 Hasan0404

Hasan0404

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,400 posts
  • Religion:Islam(Shia)
  • Interests:Why?

Posted 27 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

nice and interesting. I would like to know more.

#11 saherfatima

saherfatima

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 101 posts
  • Religion:Muslim

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:53 PM

I still feel in the dark regards Islamic perspective on creation / genesis and what the 6 stages of creation mean, Adam and Eve and then putting it all in context
Fascinating post would like to know more on this topic

#12 iDevonian

iDevonian

TheScientist

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
  • Religion:Islam
  • Interests:Anything that can challenge me.

Posted 10 June 2012 - 03:50 PM

Ah, didnt notice people had replied.

There are many stories I could tell, though they are all on different topics.

For this particular one though, I just kind of simplified things from a geology course. Evidence can be found in things like...

Well, its geology. When you look at the earth, you can apply concepts to assist you with understanding events. Concepts like superposition and cross cutting relations. Uniformitarianism, original horizontality. And of course, understanding details about the fossil record assists, combined with geologic concepts to bring about the stories that can be told.

The animals of the cambrian, those that came about in the cambrian explosion, post ediacaran times. These fossils can be found in the Burgess Shale of Canada.

Aside from that, looking into things like plate tectonics brings clarity on continental movement and where they have been in the past.

Things like geomorphology and concepts related to the milankovich cycles assist with our understanding of ice ages and the formation of ice, over time.

There is also a bit of chemistry involved in relation to atmospheric changes and alterations in global temperature.

So, there are many things that can be discussed. Many evidences for the story of Rodinia, all brought together into one.

Edited by iDevonian, 10 June 2012 - 03:52 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users